PDA

View Full Version : GULF---MEDICAL AND MONEY

foxycleopatra
19th Jun 2006, 22:13
HEY GUYS
I MIGHT BE JOINING GULF IN THE FUTURE, I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW
1) WHAT IS THE REAL POCKET MONEY THAT U MIGHT GET, INCLUDING EVERYTHING...
2) STAYING ABROAD IS OFTEN? ARE THOSE LONG STAYS?
3)ARE GULF TRAVELLER FLIGHTS OPERATED BY REGULAR CABIN CREW?
4) HOW HARD IS THE MEDICAL TEST, REGARDING DENTAL AND PHYSICAL?

THANKS FOR UR TIME

Luibar
19th Jun 2006, 23:59
Hi

As a FA with Qatar you can expect something like this:
- 5,765.00 Qr per month plus per diems when away of base and overpay above 65 block hours per month;
- Free shared fully furnished accommodation and free transport home-airport-home

Hope it helps

Take care

fragolino
14th Jul 2006, 21:18
HEY GUYS
I MIGHT BE JOINING GULF IN THE FUTURE, I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW
1) WHAT IS THE REAL POCKET MONEY THAT U MIGHT GET, INCLUDING EVERYTHING...
2) STAYING ABROAD IS OFTEN? ARE THOSE LONG STAYS?
3)ARE GULF TRAVELLER FLIGHTS OPERATED BY REGULAR CABIN CREW?
4) HOW HARD IS THE MEDICAL TEST, REGARDING DENTAL AND PHYSICAL?

THANKS FOR UR TIME

Hi,
I currently work for Gulf Air and have been here since January. My advice don't bother! I previously flew for 4 years in the UK and can't wait to return. Only staying a bit longer so looks better on cv.

1) Basic pay is 224bd which is £310approx and with flight pay and duty pay the most you will ever make is about £850-£900 per month.
2)Being based in Bahrain not the cosmopolitan city they make it out to be at the interview. The stopovers or mostly all 24hrs. Even though a Singpore/Sydney is a 6 day block no more than 24hrs at once.
3)No longer Gulf Traveller flights as these were operated by the crew in Abu Dhabi and base has closed down.
4)Medical includes everything blood tests,Hiv test,chest x-ray,hearing and lots more. All which is to be done before you leave for Bahrain and paid by you. It is then done again in Bahrain at their medical clinic and if you pass you are then given your money back.

Hope this helps!

foxycleopatra
18th Jul 2006, 23:59
THANKS FOR YOUR TIME GUYS! APPRECIATED

DesertCrew
3rd Aug 2006, 11:32
Hi all,

I worked for GF for 12 months and didnt have a problem with them. It was a fantastic experience and I am so glad I did it. I probably wouldnt be with the airline I am with today had it not been for my experience abroad.

As for living in Bahrain, if anyone has done any research on the country you should know what to expect when u get there.

The money you get, although it sounds low is actually quite high as it is all disposable income. I can definatley say that I dont have approx $500 a week left after I pay all my bills to do what I want with whch is basically what u get whilst u are over there. Although not a lot of people look at it in that way.

When I went over ther I was trained on A320, A330 and A340. I do know that now you are only trained on 767 to begin with and then an aircraft at a time once u get some flying hours up. However this just makes u appreciate the intl routes more when u get u to those aircraft. I have a friend who is crrently in the middle of this process.

I met some brilliant people whilst I was over there and am still friends with them now, they tend to be long lasting friendships and u have shared this amazing experience together.

Im not trying to have a dig at the ppl who are currently at GF and are bagging it or anything like that but for those who are contemplating it, go for it! Everyone has different opinions and flying isnt for everybody, especially with the change of country into the bargain but I say give i a shot, what have u got to lose????

Happy flying!

DLM83
23rd Aug 2006, 17:27
Im currently working for Gulf Air and have been here since January, although I have made some great friends, not all that is promise to you in the interview is given to you. The standed of aprtments varies from having no pool and gym, like promised, to having a luxury apartment with pool and a dance studio for a gym complete with sauna and steam room. Nice if you can get it! I dont think its fair that your told before you come that evrybody will be getting the same, because its not true! As for Bahrain being a cosmopoliton country?! If you think its going to be anything like Dubai, your mistaken! Its a country in the making,hence the cranes and building sites everywhere. Eurpoean flights are the best as the passengers, well the minority are nice to you but then you get treated like a slave as far as any one else is concerned!

At the moment its 52 degrees here, only to find that the majority of aircraft dont have an apu or air conditioning whilst on the ground so the sweat is dripping down your face.

You also get the 'local bahraini crew members' thinking that your up for anything and think they can harrass you for the rest of the flight. If you say no you end up being shunted for the rest of the flight.

Bahrain only really has one bar which everyone goes too called jj's and bj's but that gets very boring.

Im on the verge of resigning but need to stay abit longer as i need to get a job to go to back home. If your european the girls only stay for 1 year max, because there is only so much crap you can take.

As far as money is concerned, if you want to stay in the whole time and also stay in your hotel room down route eating noodles then you may have just enough to survive. However if you like a life, get ready for being skint. Youll bring home about 480bd max a month which is bout 600-700 pound.

I flew in the Uk foe two years and the life style and people you work with is alot better.

Dont wish to sound negative but i think that evryone deserves to know what they are coming too. However some people do love here. Hope this helps. x x x x

teamilkandone
23rd Aug 2006, 19:58
Bahrain has a great life style for ex pats. Loads to do and cheap to live, eat out etc. Go for it! Lived there 8 years, wish I still did! Flying hard work but some great trips mucked in with the harder ones, worth considering! It gets hot in the summer, but everything is air con'd, much better than scraping the ice off the windscreen in the winter!! :) Salary enough to live on and save if you put your mind to it and dont go mad buying all sorts of rubbish dowroute.

EKBird
24th Aug 2006, 19:22
Hiya All,
I spent 4 years with Gulf Air based in Bahrain then moved onto Emirates for a further 4 years based in Dubai. I have to say that if I had to choose between living in Bahrain or Dubai again, I'd pick Bahrain, without a doubt, and from everyone that I have spoken to that has spent a substantial amount of time in both places, 99.9% have agreed with me. Bahrain might be smaller but much friendlier, caring and more family orientated. Yeah, it is limited as far as clubs and pubs are concerned but once you've established yourself with a good group of friends, you tend to have BBQs and house parties. Probably not the scene for the younger generation so I suppose if it's partying you're after, then Dubai is what you're looking for. Saying that, I found Dubai to be fake and superficial. Most people out for what they can get regardless of who they chew up and spit out in the process. Sorry if that offends any of you but I'm just not the type to put up with that c**p. As far as salary and accommodation is concerned, I have to side with Emirates. I was earning on average about 500 pounds a month more with Emirates plus the destinations and layovers are alot better. Saying that, I worked alot harder. The apartment I had in Dubai was gorgeous, massive 3 bedroom, balconies all round, sea view, swimming pool (tiny), jaccuzzi, gym & under cover parking. Not all EK buildings are as nice as the one I was in but in general, are pretty decent. My building in Bahrain was very small and not in the most savoury of areas, but never the less, it felt like home.
There are definitely pro's and con's to both airlines and both countries but if I had to choose one to do all over again, Bahrain & Gulf Air would win hands down. Friendlier, more fun & felt more like home. Just my opinion for what it's worth. :ok:

venus_inblack
9th Sep 2006, 15:38
hi everyone, i'm new to this forum and i hv some important questions for those who work for GF. i should be leaving to bahrain on the 17th of sept. to begin training. u wont imagine how much i do worry about the accomodation facilities. i'm wondering if i stayed in a bad apartment then how bad it would be? meaning r there any tvs available in all flats with cables, like showtime, orbit, nilsat, ect...also what about internet connection r there any free adsl at our compounds? r we supposed to change our apartment after training? plz if any of u know how bad or good the accomodation would be, just pour it here, including what is common in all flats, thanx gals for ur contribution, bye.;)

Nomade
9th Sep 2006, 21:21
Many a year ago GF accommodation consisted of cockroach ridden smelly apartments furnished with cheap ugly furniture, an old dusty vacuum cleaner and a stove top kettle. Most new joiners came from "comfortable" backgrounds in countries where the majority of people can easily afford normal luxuries. All of those girls from good families were having a fantastic time in Bahrain, if thier sofas were old and tatty they bought a nice exotic throw to cover the stains with, they went to hotels to use pools and gyms, internet cafes to go on line, bought their own TVs and washing machines, just like they would have had to in their home country.
Now GF accommodation consists of tastefully furnished apartments inclusive of satellite TV, free internet connections, washing machines, microwaves, private swimming pools, jacuzzis, gyms, covered parking facilities, not to mention 24hr security.
Many of those who are enjoyng these facilities do not however seem to appreciate them, they do not seem able to "sit back-relax-and enjoy the ride". I wonder why... Maybe they were all brought up as princesses in luxurious palaces in their home countries?

venus_inblack
10th Sep 2006, 04:30
Hi Nomade, so what do u mean that now gf all apatments available with tv satellites and free internet connections or this still varies from one flat to another. so do u work for gf now? i wont be capable to buy a new washing machine and furniture, coz i'm not intending to stay there forever, especially that i would be flying most of the time, but i just need that my 2 days off, resting in a comfortable clean room. u make me worry now coz still i dont know that whether they do improve all apartments in same standards or not? i'm sorry for confusing u, but if u hv time just elaborate more. thanks a lot for ur previous reply, bye;)

Nomade
10th Sep 2006, 11:32
Hi Venus,
YES! ALL GF buidings have satellite TV, washing machines and internet connection. All of them.
The only few differences are that some do not have pool or gym. But they are very few and far between.
As for cleanliness, that is entirely up to you and the person you'll be sharing with. Keeping your flat clean is your responsibility. That should not be a problem if you consider that cleaners in Bahrain are plentiful and extremely affordable.
Stop worrying and start thinking of what is good for you.
If Cairo is where you want to spend your days off than that's yet another advantage for you. It is only a very short flight away and after a couple of months you will be entitled to discounted tickets. You will only pay 10% of the full fare + taxes and fuel surcharges. Just a pittance really compared to what regular passengers pay.
If you choose to stay in Bahrain on your days off than I'm sure you'll find plenty to do.
Good luck.

venus_inblack
10th Sep 2006, 18:15
i'm really thankful Nomade for ur reply. you wont imagine how much relief i'm feeling now. i'm now so excited to come to bahrain and work with gf. coz really my main prob was the accomodation itself, then anything else could be solved :) thank u thank u thank u... hope to see u soon, buy.