PDA

View Full Version : Train in UK or not UK?

matty31
19th Jun 2006, 05:46
I am 33 and planning to start my PPL in August with a view to gaining my FATPL in the next year ......
I have read PRUNE for the last couple of years while raising the money for training and have already worked through the am I to old and Int V's Mod etc.... As well as discussing with various current airline pilots.
So to finally get to my question if anyones still reading:zzz:
I would like to hear about peoples experiences with basic training i.e PPL and Hour building in the UK V's the possibly cheaper option of going abroad, How this effected your later training for the CPL / IR and first job opportunity's etc..:)
I know people on prune have strong opinions, but would be really grateful if people just posted useful info....and kept the mud where it belongs;)
Cheers Matt
P.s I did run a search, but didn't turn up much poss due to poor search skills rather than lack of info apologies if the latter is true:eek:

unfazed
19th Jun 2006, 07:32
Matt,

If you are going for fatpl then forget about gaining PPL and simply go straight to CPL

Second bit of advice - If you can do a zero start integrated package that will be the best way to get there quickly and with very focused and supported training (yeah I know it costs but look on it as an investment in you).:)

Third bit of advice - Doesn't matter where you do it as the license that you will gain is the same

Suggest you check out FTE Jerez Spain for a good model of how it can be done (used to b e British Aerospace ).

Hope this helps

Philflies
19th Jun 2006, 09:50
In addition to matty31's question....

If aiming for fATPL does the IR have to be done in the UK?

I was originally told that the IR part (of the whole fATPL process) had to be done in the UK (if you wanted a UK issued license), hence places like WAAC send their integrated students to the UK for the IR element of their JAA ATPL course.

I'd be v.interested to know the answer to this and Matty's questions.
(got my ppl, just deciding whether to launch into ATPL territory)

Regards

unfazed
19th Jun 2006, 10:51
I don't think you do have to do the IR in the UK but most people do because there aren't many places abroad who are approved by CAA to conduct IR courses

Suggest you look at CAA website for overseas schools registered to teach IR

Also look at European Flight Training at Jerez website give them a call and ask the question

matty31
20th Jun 2006, 00:59
Thanks for the advice...
I will be going the modular route due to funds and the research I have carried out...read plenty already regarding mod V's Int:ouch:
My plan at the moment is to do my PPL in the UK and some hour building in the UK to keep up the newly gained flying skills while completing my ATPL exams and then a block of hours abroad for both the experience and the savings before the final hours in the UK to get ready for the CPL/ IR.
Can anyone see any large holes in my logic or offer any different advice.....
Cheers
Matt

Leezyjet
21st Jun 2006, 00:35
I've done my PPL and some of my hour building in South Africa. The cost of the PPL there was half what it is in the UK, and you can still fly in the UK on your SA PPL too.

I'll be doing the remainder of the hour building and the CPL/IR/ME in the UK.

You don't even need to convert the PPL to JAA either. You can do the CPL which will be under instruction anyway, and then when you have your JAA CPL, you just use that license to fly here.

I'd go overseas to do the PPL if I were you, and save some cash for the more expensive bits later on.

:ok:

jar-dk
21st Jun 2006, 08:44
Now that you are going the modular route(way to go buddy) and taken your age into consideration I would consider a place/places that moves at a decent speed, so planning ahead is essential, in regards to bookings at schools for starting dates. My humble experience tells me that many things move faster in the US or South Africa, and yes the results varies to, and your later oppertunities wont be affected. Hour building at ½ price will affect your total price alot, and remember to be structured when hour building - train stalls, turns, vors and all that jazz. I trained in DK, Spain and South Africa( www.flighttraining.co.za I can certainly recommend it), Sa was the best, spain was slack and to relaxed and DK was good and stringent but extremely expensive, almost as bad as the UK.
Weather has a major effect on speed of the course especially on the PPL and hour buiding the rest well....then it has to be bad to adversly affect you, so abroad is the way forward.
Dont restrict yourself to JAA area. Jerez likes integrated students $$$$ , but give'em a call, they have an good reputation.