PDA

View Full Version : low level ops

solowflyer
19th Jun 2006, 02:40
Just a quick question who is able to issue a low level and mustering endorsment in Oz? Do they need to be an instructor or an approved person?

Chimbu chuckles
19th Jun 2006, 03:23
Do they need to be an instructor or an approved person?

No anyone can do it.:ugh: :rolleyes:

tinpis
19th Jun 2006, 03:29
Nobody showed us did they Chuck and we never hit nuthin'? :hmm:

Fliegenmong
19th Jun 2006, 03:32
OK one of my fave all time threads was that low flying one - had the old TAA DC3 pictures up in PNG - Remeber it? - anyone with anymore great low flying pics? legal of course:}

Chimbu chuckles
19th Jun 2006, 03:36
:} Hey Tinny does 'mustering' villagers count:ok:

tinpis
19th Jun 2006, 03:37
Only if yer managed to trouser the fares. :oh:

pakeha-boy
19th Jun 2006, 03:41
tin mate!!..where do they get these blokes from?????....I sort of understand the question,but it seems so "PC"....what have they done to these jokers to even make them ask such a question???...no wonder these young fellas are so wound up about flying,they have never lived in a time where a "relaxed" attitude was the norm......I always get a kick out of the blokes who think you need a "tail-wheel" rating....tri-cycle gear is easy but you need special instruction if its a tail dragger...gimme a break!!!....have a little self confidence in your self boys...it will work wonders...PB

185skywagon
19th Jun 2006, 04:44
Just a quick question who is able to issue a low level and mustering endorsment in Oz? Do they need to be an instructor or an approved person?
To answer your question:1. Sandy Kidd at Windorah and Alf "Bomber" Johnston in the Queensland Channel Country, have approval to conduct and issue Mustering approvals and low level endorsements. 2. Neither of these people are instructors, nor are they required to be at this stage. They are approved people by CASA.
PM me if you want their contact details. Any Ag training Organistaion can issue you with Low-Level Approvals but not neccessarily mustering Approvals.
Hope this helps.

troppo
19th Jun 2006, 05:31
just like the Wright brothers aye Tin?
In your day they couldn't get above 50' could they?:p

Fliegenmong
19th Jun 2006, 06:47
And while you 'Jokers' are at it with some new found self confidence - you all ought to try some good 'ol fashion VFR scud running :rolleyes:

solowflyer
19th Jun 2006, 07:25
Thanks 185 thats all i really needed to know.

Guys I've been involved in the ag industry for the last 3 years and have a fair idea of what goes on in the bush including many stories of cowboys such as methods to extend TBO times by disconnecting Taco and hobbs and methods of getting dogs in the back from fighting by introducing them to negative g's.

A city slicker pilot running down a mob of sheep is one of my latest experiences and trying explain to such pilot that the sheep were not tied up but tangled in guts was quite amusing.

Chimbu chuckles
19th Jun 2006, 08:44
Perhaps a better way to phrase the question would have been, "can anyone point me towards a good place where I might get training for...'

Mind you after 3 yrs in the Ag industry I would have thought you'd have met about everyone in it:ok:

PB in Oz a tailwheel endorsement is just that...not merely difference training. I think just hopping into a taildragger and hoping for the best might be a good way to trash some nice aeroplanes.

pakeha-boy
19th Jun 2006, 15:21
chimbu...I guess that depends on ones personal abilitys....your statement could apply to many types of aircraft and operations and that is precisely my point.....

Have several years doing crop dusting/topdressing myself,and with out having to ask the question ,it seemed obvious to me to go find the training,as with the float plane rating I went and got the the training,as with my type ratings,.....had to go get the training...am I painting a picture here?????......:ugh:

Chimbu chuckles
19th Jun 2006, 15:59
Oi...you sheep shaggers gotta get 'type rated' on just about everything wot flys:}

Took a Kiwi work mate for a burn in my Bonanza a while back...we fly 767s together...stuck him in the LHS and away we went...told me he couldn't log it because he wasn't 'type rated' on the BE36:uhoh:

At least in Oz csu/tw/ru covers you, theoretically, for everything wiff wings:ok:

Jus' takin da piss wiff ya.

One of the things that impresses me the most about NZ is how air minded the general population is.:ok:

pakeha-boy
19th Jun 2006, 16:26
chimbu...concerning the sheep-shagging...I,m typed in that also:} dont knock what you havent tried/.....kia kaha PB

Sunfish
19th Jun 2006, 22:45
Is it a Merino type rating? Or is it Corriedale or Poll Dorset?:rolleyes:

tinpis
20th Jun 2006, 01:11
Be a Border Leicester where the pakeha comes from. http://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/sheep.gif

pakeha-boy
20th Jun 2006, 05:14
why tin mate!!!!,..hit it right on the head,....with an occasional perrindale thrown in when times get tough.....never touch the Romney:=

troppo
20th Jun 2006, 05:30
and what is wrong with the romney? i prefer the darker faced breeds:}

MaryG
22nd Jun 2006, 09:12
Try Rob Poynton in Perth, i think he works out of JT for skyworks?? Good reputation for LL Endo's

3RAR
24th Jun 2006, 06:43
and Alf "Bomber" Johnston in the Queensland Channel Country, have approval to conduct and issue Mustering approvals and low level endorsements.

You woun't go too far wrong with the Bommer. Never met Sandy but Bomma has lived through many a mad cow mission. You may have to yell a bit though as he likes to listen to the engine, thus dosn't wear a headset so time has taken it's tole on the old fellas hearing.

Good teacher as well. Has the nack of imparting the info in a way people can understand.

Last I heard he had left the channels but he may well be back as that was some time ago now.

Regards to 185 while I am here.

The Messiah
25th Jun 2006, 11:44
CHIMBU

There was a time not so long ago when you needed a seperate type rating in Oz for every CSU/Retrac aircraft, such as a Mooney then an A36 then a 210 etc.

Surely you go back that far? Going by all the crap you rabbit on with here anyone would think you were Smithy himself.

Chimbu chuckles
25th Jun 2006, 12:05
Well I go back 26 years in this industry so if you wanna call 26+ 'not so long ago' that is entirely up to you...what you're suggesting was not the case within that time frame.

I like to think most of what I post here is either helpful or said with some humour...preferably a combination of the two.

I am sorry you don't feel that way:ok:

Are you sure you're not just a naughty boy? :}

poteroo
25th Jun 2006, 12:22
Seperate Endorsements

In the 60's and 70's, DCA required every last aircraft make and model to be checked and added to your licence individually.

There were a few standout anomalies though - nothings changed!

There was an 'endorsement for C180/182/185 originally - I had it on my licence in 1963. When I rolled up in Pt Moresby to hire the South Pacific Aero Club's C180 about Xmas 1963 - the instructor cracked up at the very thought.

I soon found out why!

I think the original '200' series Cessna endorsement was 205/206/210 which had about the same logic behind it as the 180 series one did!

Anyway, the current system isn't worth much either - you still need a check ride for insurance, and, in many cases, it turns out to be a dual 'training' check because the basics were clearly never learned on the original endorsement.

happy days,

The Messiah
25th Jun 2006, 12:27
Last seperate single engine endorsement I did was March '90, not sure how long after then that it changed.

Chimbu chuckles
25th Jun 2006, 13:02
Really? I flew C206, C210, C172RG, Cherokee 6, Lance, C180, C185, Helio Courier and Tiger Moths as well as all the less interesting Cessna/Piper variants based only on the three basic group endorsement of Tailwheel (done originally in a Decathlon) CSU/RG (done originally in a C182RG) in mid 1981. The most I ever got asked to do was 3 circuits when picking up the Cherokee 6 from a flying school we were crosshiring it from. The first time I flew the Tiger Moth the PPL owner showed me how to prop start it and sat in the front and said nothing but must have been happy because he let me fly it solo after. The 180 was alone out of the blocks...the 185 I got demoed one circuit while sitting in the rhs and spent the next few days teaching myself to fly it before being route endorsed... and the rest were suck and see jobs. When I bought my Bonanza in 2000 I just got in and flew it...it remains to this day the only Bonanza I have ever flown.

My Ozzie PPL issued in 1981 has not one reference to specific single engined aircraft except S/E aeroplanes < 5700kg MTOW and the three Group Endorsement boxes dated and stamped...since then I have picked up Pressurised Hull too so guess I am fine to go fly a P210.

I remember being able to pick up all sorts of twin ratings based on a 'group endorsement'. I never bothered but was told I could have C340 based on my hours in C402 and Aerostar...stuff like that....Actually I did get C310 that way...I have heard that system went away some years ago.

pakeha-boy
25th Jun 2006, 20:52
chimbu...ditto on your comments,... in the same boat as you,....one ticket covered all......sort of tells you what the regulators and powers that be,think of the "current crop" and their abilities:} :} :} :} :} :}

Fifthleg
25th Jun 2006, 21:34
There is a chap out at Parkes, NSW, called Rob Glenn who does LL/mustering training & endorsements. You could probably get him through the aeroclub there.

tinpis
25th Jun 2006, 22:57
Well I go back 26 years in this industry so if you wanna call 26+ 'not so long ago'

Twenty six years....pffffffftt!... a mere flyspeck in time...I remember when they had to teach us about them new fangled aileron thingys!
A lot of us reckoned they would never be as reliable as wing warping :}

pakeha-boy
26th Jun 2006, 00:21
tin mate...you crack me up:D :D :D :D :D

Pinky the pilot
27th Jun 2006, 00:43
Messiah; Just an aside; back in around March 1990 after having been in PNG for just over two months I was having a few quiet ones in the Aero Club with our Deputy CP. At one stage he pointed to a bloke a few tables away and said to me
"See that bloke over there? Go over and introduce yourself to him sometime. Whenever he talks about flying in this country, you listen and learn. One day it may save your life"
The person the Deputy CP pointed out to me was Chimbu Chuckles.
And one day a piece of advice that Chuckles had given to me in the numerous subsequent conversations I had with him did indeed save my hide from possibly being spread against the side of a mountain!:ok:
Back to topic.

tinpis
27th Jun 2006, 01:03
And one day a piece of advice that Chuckles had given to me in the numerous subsequent conversations I had with him did indeed save my hide........

Stay away from the Dero ??? :} :uhoh: :cool: http://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/cannibal.gifhttp://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/cannibal.gif

Never pay more than Kina 2.00 for a http://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/cannibal.gif "lady of the night"?

Woomera

Woomera
27th Jun 2006, 02:24
The BN2A Islander and BN2A Mk III Trislander used to be a common type rating a decade ago.

Pinky the pilot
27th Jun 2006, 10:08
Stay away from the Dero?
Nope Tinny; But that was the advice the CP (AY) used to give us!
"A den of iniquity" was how he used to describe it.:D
Even so, he still came there himself occasionally on Friday BBQ nights with his guitar. The song 'Six hours to go' sung to the tune 'Six days on the road' always got a good reception.
Never pay more than Kina 2.00 for a "lady of the night"?

Woomera; Are you insinuating that a gentleman such as Chuckles actually knew of such things?:E :} :eek:

The Messiah
27th Jun 2006, 11:00
PINKY

All depends on your perspective, sometimes a comment from a first solo student can be just as helpful as advice from Bobby Gibbes or Laurie McIver (RIP) but so what? If he helped you great but as I say, so what.

I miss the RAC of NSW if that is the one you are speaking about, and I don't mean the flying school side of it. Before its slide it was full of great characters and achievers of Australian Aviation such as, Brian 'Blackjack' Walker, Ken Howard, Roy Coburn, Johnny Reilade (spelling?) etc and even Sir Jack Brabham on the odd occasion, instead of the snivelling group of young bank tellers with gold bars that frequented it toward the end. Now having a beer and listening to some of those guys was very worthwile......and amusing.

tinpis
27th Jun 2006, 20:56
I miss the RAC of NSW if that is the one you are speaking about,

Er....I dont think so :hmm:

Over and gout
28th Jun 2006, 09:40
instead of the snivelling group of young bank tellers with gold bars that frequented it toward the end.
??????:confused::confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: