PDA

View Full Version : Warning from CASA

jack red
19th Jun 2006, 02:36
Just received a letter from the CEO at CASA airing his concern about the recent spate of fatal accidents involving aircraft conducting GNSS/RNAV approaches. Last two paragraphs would indicate CASA are about to get tough on operators / pilots who deviate from instrument approach procedures.

I hope they are fair dinkum.:ok:

VH-XXX
19th Jun 2006, 02:58
That's all very well, however when are they going to take a closer look at the operators that are doing their OWN gps approaches? (The famous undocumented GARMIN approach) Find the highway in the low cloud, fly up the valley, do a 180 degree zoom over the town, let down over a farm and fly in there with 200 foot cloud-base... or my favourite DDTL approach (Dive Down and Take a Look).

Time Bomb Ted
19th Jun 2006, 04:45
I can see it now. A Navajo with lights and sirens following you down past the FAF.

"Woo Woo, pull over pilot...

Sir is there any reason you were flying out of tollerances on this approach?"

"Umm, I didn't know I was your bigness..."

"Well sir, as you obviously don't know what you are doing, I'd also like a breath sample, urine sample, stool sample and a look at your ASIC, Medical, Log book, licence, flight and duty times, and a brief check of your past flying history including reports from your previous nine employers. Oh and that will be $130. Cash or Credit card today sir?"

TBT

rmcdonal
19th Jun 2006, 07:09
A Navajo with lights and sirens following you down past the FAF Only a Navajo? Good I should be able to out run them :E :}

THE CONTRACTOR
19th Jun 2006, 07:20
CASA can't uphold their current CAR's or is CASR's or CAO's or is the AIP ah it might be in the CAAP's no but I followed the OP's Manual, oh shJT thats right the CAR/CASR/AIP/CAAP all override that. Settle down Byron ole mate, you would be better served finishing one job first then the next. Nothing is ever finished with CASA, it is all under review/NPRM/cost recovery. What will make this a safer environment is if the bastads stop charging pilots and make operaters pay at least award rates. However their is still the ole ex-military/CASA/Airline boys club still out there.

Chimbu chuckles
19th Jun 2006, 08:58
I wonder if he will come out against the way the GPS NPA approaches are designed....or just blame pilots for falling through the hole in the cheese?

What a silly question....you know better than to ask that Chuck:ugh: :hmm: :rolleyes:

BARON DRIVER
19th Jun 2006, 10:11
So how are CASA going to monitor all of these approaches we fly? Fit all our aircraft with FDR 's ? Or is poor old Airservices going to be left holding the baby?

And how does someone on the ground know the exact weather conditions we are flying in all of the time? Start in cloud, descend a 1000 feet or so, break visual, maintian VFR and break off the approach.

What, we are going to have to justify every visual approach we fly to CASA?

Good Idea, but i dont see how it can be inforced in the real world!

Stay safe guys and girls,

Icarus2001
19th Jun 2006, 10:56
Here is a link to said letter...http://www.casa.gov.au/media/other/06-06-16pilot.pdf

Baron driver, CASA cannot even organise enough ramp inspections to weed out the rule breakers let alone "monitor" approaches. I think you are missing BB's point. Aircraft are hitting the ground, CASA are charged with the job of stopping aircraft hitting the ground, therefore CASA look bad, he is asking "for your help.":ugh:

BARON DRIVER
19th Jun 2006, 11:13
Icurus2001, fair point, maybe my comments were abit unfair!

Dont get me wrong im all for shonk operators/pilots to be put under the microscope by CASA in reguard to this issue.

Planes ending up in hills does none of us any favours.

I just thought the letter i recived was abit open ended, thats all!

Scurvy.D.Dog
19th Jun 2006, 11:49
rmcdonalA Navajo with lights and sirens following you down past the FAF
Only a Navajo? Good I should be able to out run them …….:} yup .... I think the appropriate phraseology might be ..... прощание comradski :E .... :ooh: ..... :ok:

captain_cranky
19th Jun 2006, 11:57
Gee! Only four 'I's and one 'mine'!:D
Getting better Bruce!:ugh:
Sadly, more of the supine and reactive cr@p we have come to expect.:yuk: