PDA

View Full Version : Kemble - Anyone there?

Conan the Librarian
18th Jun 2006, 23:16
I managed to go down there today and it was a pity that the weather didn't play ball. Reason for this post is to enquire what happened to the GR4 and the Red Arrows. Tonka looked like an aborted takeoff and the Reds gave up half way through the show. I wasn't near enough to the PA and wonder if (If!!) someone here can fill in the blanks.

Took a load of pictures, but my latest Nikon seems to have been hand crafted by Beelzebub. If any of them look OK, I will post a few later in the week. Wasn't the Kiwi 757 superb? Stole the show in my book.

Conan

Beeayeate
19th Jun 2006, 07:15
Tornado suffered an afterburner prob during t/o. Reds aborted due to two airspace violations by pratts.

beamer
19th Jun 2006, 08:12
Living close to Kemble I was out for my sunday afternoon cycle ride - amazing how quiet the roads were and indeed almost complete lack of noise from above - perhaps the regulars are saving their money for Fairford ?
nb - amazing how many 'spotters' parked on country lanes - was it that expensive to get in or are they just tight !!!!!!!!!!!!1

Conan the Librarian
19th Jun 2006, 08:52
Thank you BI8. I thought something odd had happened to the Reds and in something approaching forty odd years of watching them, I have never seen them throw a show. I thought the Tonka had gone tech as it trundled past making a very odd noise. Pity for those operating, as they have devoted much time and effort to be there. Of course, it was bad news for the punters as well.

It did seem a bit quiet compared to last year Beamer. I don't know about people being tight, but £20 per adult head may have put off a few families. Even so, it took me an hour plus to get out, but a quick dive through Ewen ensured that the rest of the trip took 25 minutes, so can't complain.

Conan

beamer
19th Jun 2006, 12:43
Conan

Mmm £20 a go seems a bit steep to me - I came past the airfield VERY early on sunday morning (back from night flight) and there seemed to be a lot less aircraft on the ground than in previous years and as previously mentioned sunday afternoon was VERY quiet. I guess the fact that Fairford is looming and is only ten miles away must detract to some extent from the attendance as far as locals are concerned.

tmmorris
19th Jun 2006, 16:18
Was it me or was there also an airspace violation during the solo Hawk display before lunch (the 100sqn one)? I spotted an ac to the northeast which looked suspiciously close. He carried on but I was worried for a minute or so.

T

martine
19th Jun 2006, 17:35
Mmm £20 a go seems a bit steep to me...

It was £20 for adults and £5 for kids - I reckon that's not too bad.

Can't understand those who 'camp' outside though - with no loos, no PA, no stands and further away from the a/c (usually) still that's their perogative.

Fairford is of course a mega show but personally I like to mix it with smaller, friendlier ones like Kemble. The mega shows have mega problems of traffic and people and I think the slower, solo displays get somehow lost at such venues.

Chris Royle
19th Jun 2006, 17:39
Just to confirm the Red Arrow's airspace (TRA) violation by an aircraft caused the Arrows to abort.
If the CAA catch up with the pilot(s) (there may have been more than one a/c) I don't give much for their chances of just a wagging finger. The CAA have made it clear that they will prosecute. Brize and / or Lyneham radars may well have the a/c tracked.
The show was good. I will never be able to see a Boeing 757 in quite the same light after watching the Royal NZ Air Force demo. And the Herc was brilliant! 30 - 40 mph BACKWARDS down the runway!! And even though I am not a helicopter fan, the Merlin was brilliantly flown. Hard to believe that 11 tonnes can fly around like that under flapping wings!
£20 was a bit on the pricey side, but the above items, for me, were worth it.
:ok:

Conan the Librarian
19th Jun 2006, 18:44
The 757 display was superb and here is a really shabby picture (I was cursing the camera at this point) of quite the sportiest roller I have ever seen. Note the tops of the obligatory grotburger vans for a sense of scale.
Conan
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y192/zorbathegeek/sundries/757forPprune.jpg

Conan the Librarian
19th Jun 2006, 19:17
Looks like there were more airspace violations than first thought :-)

Conan

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y192/zorbathegeek/sundries/UtterlyPprune.jpg

fernytickles
20th Jun 2006, 02:29
Interesting reading the comments about the cost. Just as a comparison, how do cinema tickets/theatre tickets/concert tickets/football/rubgy etc, etc compare? Would they be more or less? Would you get more for your money, or less?

chevvron
22nd Jun 2006, 11:32
Premier league matches last season ranged from 20 quid at Fulham (kids free or a fiver depending on who the opposition was)to over 60 at Chelsea, and they're only half a mile apart!