PDA

View Full Version : EAST MIDLANDS - 2

Lite
11th Jun 2006, 22:03
I've heard rumours that they're in favour up at the airport at the minute, following a few debacles with Menzies.

Rumour has it today around the airport that the airport's management have served a month's warning notice to Menzies to improve things or risk having their presence at the airport terminated. I'm confident that Menzies will be able to turn it around as they've typically been highly-regarded up at EMA, but they've apparently been having a very poor start to the season with frosty relationships between Menzies & NEMA staff.

Nice for the heat to be taken off us anyway, and rumours are we're getting BA at Servisair - only 3 flights a week but a bit classier than some of the other carriers we handle!

egnxema
12th Jun 2006, 09:59
Can anyone with a digicam and a view post a picture of the apron extension and blast fence? :ok:

Flyboy543
12th Jun 2006, 15:48
Menzies have gone down hill a bit since the start of the season. Not quite sure why, but most of the incidents, (5 in about 2 or 3 weeks of what I know) point to poor or lack of training of staff, and not being aware of the situation the member of staff is in. Some if not all could have been genuine accidents and they would have to be very unlucky if that was the case.

From what I understand its not the airport, but both BMI and TCX that have given Menzies a 60 or 90 day 'trial period' as such to improve their act or face having consequences. Not quite sure what they would be as I don't think Servisair would be able to take on BMI at the moment, especially when their overstretched as it is! The airport is involved when Menzies leave equipment on stand once their aircraft has left, this is happening a lot lately, steps or GPU and other equipment being left on stand, so having to be called out to move it for incoming aircraft.

I guess we'll just see what happens with time, and hope they improve to keep the contracts and get new ones :ok:

Lite
12th Jun 2006, 17:14
Not quite sure what they would be as I don't think Servisair would be able to take on BMI at the moment, especially when their overstretched as it is!

Question to those in the know, but if Menzies were asked to leave the airport, and I've never actually witnessed a handling agent being asked to leave before but if it did happen, then how quickly could another be established to take over said contracts? I doubt the airport authority would be keen for Servisair to have 100% control of the airport, so it will lie on Menzies bucking up in the next month or liasing with other major handling agents to swiftly set up shop at EMA. As I said, how quickly can quickly be?

almost professional
12th Jun 2006, 21:13
EGNXEMA-am back at work wednesday, will try to remember camera and then work out how to put picture in post! (thats if I am allowed in tower seat)

egnxema
13th Jun 2006, 07:37
Thanks Almost Prof - I was hoping you would see the post - you are our "Man in the Sky", a title which makes you sound like god, I know. But sat up there you are a lot closer to him than most of us sat at desks most of the day :ok: :ok: :ok:

Chilli Monster
13th Jun 2006, 08:52
(thats if I am allowed in tower seat)
Let you in tower - no chance. Of course you know how to solve that problem mate ;)
(Take the pics and I'll show you how to post them)

almost professional
13th Jun 2006, 08:55
cheeky b*****r! no radar training for you!

Chilli Monster
14th Jun 2006, 15:24
Courtesy of the esteemed almost professional

http://www.wheelerweb.org/images/nema/117_1788.jpg

And

http://www.wheelerweb.org/images/nema/117_1789.jpg

phil_2405
14th Jun 2006, 17:37
Great pics :ok: I hope to see some with it full of aircraft soon!!

Navy_Adversary
14th Jun 2006, 17:54
Great images, that road junction looks like an accident waiting to happen, more like Piccailly circus.:D

egnxema
15th Jun 2006, 07:45
Brilliant! Thanks Almost Prof for your camera skills, and Chilli Monster for your upload skills.

Is the new apron 5 new stands? And is it a cul-de-sac with just one entry/exit?

Couple more questions.....

Why is there a need for a fence running 3/4 of the length between apron and the hangar area?

Why not just fill in that gap between the hangar taxiway and the new apron?

UPS@EMA
15th Jun 2006, 07:47
with the new apron extension, does that give the airport opportunity to handle aircraft up to A330 size instead of having to send them down to the cargo east apron?????? it looks like there is quite a large clearance apart from the parked up Challenger

Regards

Stu

ShyTorque
15th Jun 2006, 08:28
Brilliant! Thanks Almost Prof for your camera skills, and Chilli Monster for your upload skills. ..

Would it be because there's a ten foot drop off the end of the apron? :hmm:

egnxema
15th Jun 2006, 11:43
What BHX diverts are due today?

UPS@EMA
15th Jun 2006, 11:51
EK39 from Dubai is due at 1300 its 772, Turkmenistan Airlines has been in today that was a 752 and there has been about 10 BA diversions from GLA, EDI, MXP, ABZ and departures have gone to MAD, BCN and a few others.

Regards

Stu

phil_2405
15th Jun 2006, 21:54
No sign of new routes from bmibaby with the release of the winter 06/07 schedule today :uhoh:

bmibaby.com
16th Jun 2006, 07:41
phil_2405

Whilst there are no signs of new routes yet, remember that this is only the first round of seats going on sale, similar to how Ryanair's winter seats have now been rolled out, yet no new routes have been launched yet for the winter. After the initial hype of the winter rollout, some new routes are usually launched, obviously watching how well the existing routes are selling.

Sanjo
16th Jun 2006, 08:58
bmibaby.com

and most importantly what the competitors have loaded or changed...

Lite
18th Jun 2006, 13:31
Not quite sure where bmibaby would expand to, as with the exception of the French routes, all of WW's destinations are served from EMA - I'm guessing they'd either make a move into bmi territory, relaunch some routes that were dropped when bmibaby began their massive expansion into other bases, or might go for something completely new.

Ryanair seems the safest bet for new routes this winter. Whilst all routes are doing well, the Polish ones seem to be doing incredibly, so it wouldn't surprise me if further Eastern European expansion was on the cards.

Any more news regarding Menzies?

bmibaby.com
20th Jun 2006, 19:41
Any more news regarding Menzies?

I've been really surprised with how badly Menzies have been doing, especially when you consider the fantastic job they did when they were just doing ramp for bmibaby when they first arrived in 2002. They had motivated staff who did a really amazing job at keeping things ontime & friendly, which is why they had their contract extended. Yet as soon as they expanded into doing more than one airline, as well as starting other functions, the company's performance has gradually declined to the levels that they're at now, which is incredibly disappointing.

Needless to say, without things improving, it's highly likely that the bmi group will not want Menzies handling them next summer.

UPS@EMA
21st Jun 2006, 10:13
Guys and girls,

I have been studying the pis of the new apron and I have been wondering about a few things.

a) why wasnt the apron extension just added to the original main apron?
b) has it been designed so that a pier can be built between the 2 offering air bridges for the new apron????

Whats peoples views on that???

Regards

Stu

Chilli Monster
21st Jun 2006, 10:49
a) why wasnt the apron extension just added to the original main apron?
Only guessing, but:

That would have given you less stands, as the current central apron cul-de-sac would have just been extended. That would also have meant less aircraft able to pushback at the same time - an important consideration during the peak periods.
b) has it been designed so that a pier can be built between the 2 offering air bridges for the new apron????
Lo-Co's don't like air bridges as they add a few minutes to the turnround. However, a ground level pier (terminal extension) has been talked about with walk out access to the stands.

UPS@EMA
21st Jun 2006, 10:56
Lo-Co's don't like air bridges as they add a few minutes to the turnround. However, a ground level pier (terminal extension) has been talked about with walk out access to the stands.

I was meaning as a asset for the airport attracting long haulers or more BACON by offering the the opportunity of air bridges.

Regards

egnxema
21st Jun 2006, 11:28
BA at EMA

I strongly doubt that we will see much expansion of BACON from EMA as they are so strong down the road - but, I do see that GB Airways, in the guise of BA or BACON have a market from EMA for all the Canaries, Maderia, and North Africa - RAK is becoming a hot weekend destination.

Could bmibaby bring back BCN? or how about MAD - GB or easy or baby could do that one. :cool:

737James
21st Jun 2006, 15:22
Anybody know the reason why the FCA flight to Punta Cana has got a severe delay on it today ? Dropped friends off this morning and now been stuck all day in terminal. I expect its a tech problem but just thought I would try and clarify.

magpie1159
21st Jun 2006, 16:00
737James

Latest news I have is that it has a tech problem and can't get the part shipped in until tomorow, so dont expect much movement before then!

737James
21st Jun 2006, 16:33
Oh dear thats what i expected must be something fairly unusual as FCA have stocks of most parts with eginerrs a at Man only short way away.

almost professional
21st Jun 2006, 19:47
reason that the two aprons do not meet is the levels-take a look at the ramps up to the new stands-it would have been a lot more expensive to match them up, and for no great benefit-as Chilli says the present layout is also more beneficial from an operational standpoint anyway!
this is the same reason that the central and east aprons are seperate entities

Flyboy543
21st Jun 2006, 21:05
The FCA 763 went tech yesterday too before flying to Sanford. I believe was a hydraulics problem, the engineers were poking around behind the main undercarriage when i saw them. Today just as it was towed to the main apron from the UPS ramp it had one of its undercarriage flaps down, presumably the problem was around this area? lots of unhappy pax both hear and Mexico if its not fixed till tomorrow :}

Anybody know what set the fire alarm off this morning? They were let in the terminal 5 mins before the Thonsonfly 767 came on stand! could have been an interesting moment! hehe!

737James
21st Jun 2006, 21:38
Im not sure if its Mexico i think its off to Orlando again in morning but i would imagine FCA will bring in either another company aircraft or a sub charter to operate the Orlando flight on thurs.

afterdark
22nd Jun 2006, 10:26
Has had a knock on effect @ Glasgow where the 767 which normally arrives from EMA for the SFB flights is now a FCA 757-200 routing via Bangor

phil_2405
23rd Jun 2006, 22:01
easyJet have released their winter 06/07 NEMA seats...nothing new but it appears ALC and CIA have switched times.

UPS@EMA
29th Jun 2006, 11:03
anything new on the horizon?

WOWBOY
29th Jun 2006, 11:29
I read on another fourm that easyjet have 3xdaily slots at GLA for a EMA service!

Is thee any truth in EZY restarting the route?

Any roumurs at the EMA end?

easyboy
29th Jun 2006, 11:44
I would doubt it very much as bmibaby do this route 3 times a day.

The route was dropped almost 2 years ago, and I don't think they would go back into direct competition with bmibaby on domestic routes.

Flyboy543
6th Jul 2006, 16:19
Anyone got any updates on the CUSS machines yet? July and their still not working, haven't really seen or herd anything about them lately.

bmibaby.com
13th Jul 2006, 16:22
Anyone got any updates on the CUSS machines yet? July and their still not working, haven't really seen or herd anything about them lately.

Flew out of Manchester the other day, and I have to say that they took away all of my skepticism of introducing them here at EMA, they were dotted everywhere and seemed to allow people to bypass some of the lengthier queues. I think the problem with the EMA ones (or what I heard about May) was that the IT systems from the various companies hadn't been smoothed out, that one prominent airline no longer wanted to be involved with them and working with the handling agents about bag drops hadn't been organised either. Hopefully they'll be ready to smooth out some of EMA's huge queues shortly.

paul atkins
13th Jul 2006, 17:27
hey all i see the passenger figures for june where up 16% let the passenger figuers keep on increasing cheers paul

phil_2405
13th Jul 2006, 17:43
one prominent airline no longer wanted to be involved with them

Any idea which one this might be?

foxile
13th Jul 2006, 22:57
Please, somebody put me out of my ignorant misery...
What does CUSS stand for. I'd guess at SS being self-service and the C customer or check (in) but the U??? Thanks :O

Lite
14th Jul 2006, 08:55
foxile

C-U in CUSS, I think stands for "common user" which means that more than one carrier can use the machines. The prominent airline who is rumoured to have pulled out from the CUSS programme is bmibaby alongside bmi regional, who had trialled the programme last year, but would rather have control over their own checkin procedure, whilst the Servisair handled charters are all up for the new machines. Apparently once they're established at the airport, the management are keen to introduce some in nearby hotels as well as some possibly in the car parks.

foxile
14th Jul 2006, 09:53
Cheers for that Lite :ok:

RobinDR1050
14th Jul 2006, 22:03
I can confirm bmibaby will be going on the cuss machines again. The manchester group are currently in the process of making the application for bmibaby's system. This is because cuss has been updated since they were last on it.

bmibabyfc
14th Jul 2006, 22:26
well i certainly hope it has improved from last time!

with online check in and these cuss machines who needs ground staff??!!

answer: an airline that wants good customer interaction.

phil_2405
22nd Jul 2006, 14:28
The new look NEMA website was launched this week, for those of you who haven't seen it yet. What do people think of it?

Flyboy543
22nd Jul 2006, 18:03
Quite like the new website. gives more professional feel than the old one.

Heard in the grapevine that early monday morning bring the visit of a 747-400 from people from Lebanon, same as the A310 and DC10 in last few days. Anybody know if a 744 has visited EMA before?

easyboy
22nd Jul 2006, 19:05
Flyboy543

Yeh there is a cargo 747 aircraft that comes in from time to time operated by Kalitta Air (although I haven't seen it for a while now), but Im not sure about passenger service

Tisme
22nd Jul 2006, 21:34
There has already been one aircraft full of people from Lebanon, it made the local news anyway.

phil_2405
27th Jul 2006, 22:09
Just spotted this on MAN website:

http://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/web.nsf/Content/PressReleaseCUSScheckin

lez
1st Aug 2006, 11:32
Hi all

I'm flying from NEMA in 7 weeks time and was wondering what aircraft is doing the NEMA - Rhodes for thomson (Thomsonfly) ?

We fly out on a saturday

Please help!! :}

egnxema
1st Aug 2006, 11:48

Have a great holiday

lez
1st Aug 2006, 11:53
egnxema
Cheers for that mate :ok:

Your a star!!

paul atkins
1st Aug 2006, 12:42
hey thomson are using B767/2 on the Rhodes route the B757 is on the Alicante route on Saturday evenings cheers paul

lez
1st Aug 2006, 13:23
paul atkins

Even better!! :} :ok:

Lite
3rd Aug 2006, 16:38
I think we sure could do with an August round-up of news & rumours as the thread is running the risk of drying up.

1) Has anybody heard about the new plans for terminal layout, which include closing the landside shopping mall from as early as November?

2) Any new routes or airlines in the planning? Ryanair seems an obvious choice for the winter with a lot of new arcraft coming, and rumours are abound that easyJet's 4 year contract with the airport is up in March (initially signed by Go) and that both parties are negotiating the future of EZY ops at the airport.

phil_2405
3rd Aug 2006, 18:22
1) Has anybody heard about the new plans for terminal layout, which include closing the landside shopping mall from as early as November?
2) Any new routes or airlines in the planning? Ryanair seems an obvious choice for the winter with a lot of new arcraft coming, and rumours are abound that easyJet's 4 year contract with the airport is up in March (initially signed by Go) and that both parties are negotiating the future of EZY ops at the airport.
1. Closing it and putting what in its place?
The next phase of our investment programme is underway with a complete revamp of the terminal during the winter period
This from the latest NEMA press release would seem to indicate something big is going to happen.
2. Potentially interesting development from EZY. I guess MAG are negotiating with them for all airports, including rumoured new base at BOH.

bmibaby.com
3rd Aug 2006, 20:53
The entrance to Departures will apparently now move to just after Caffè Ritazza, meaning that there will now only be the check-in desks, self-service kiosks, tour operator desks, bureau de change, Caffè Ritazza & toilets landside. Ilkeston Co-Op Travel is apparently leaving the airport altogether (great shame considering the history) and the newsagent will apparently be relocating. Boots will now move airside. Not sure what will happen to the Aviation Hobby Shop. Arrivals will remain unchanged, simply when entering the doors by arrivals you will no longer be able to turn left. Apparently no need for an information desk by check-in or any information staff airside, because majority of questions come from those arriving off of flights or people picking pax up - so info desk won't move, neither will Costa Coffee.

That's what I've heard anyway!

egnxema
4th Aug 2006, 09:03
Change, Change, Change!

Nothing ever stays the same - which I why airports are interesting places to work.

Anyone for a photo swap session? I think back to the BMA and Orion check-in desks where Boots is now. Remember those huge weighing scales??

Aer Lingus always were tucked right into the cormer by the newsagent. Air Ecosse/Aberdeen Airways/Business Air were the first check-in after the newsagent, then Britannia Airways. All with manually changed signage and slide-in/out digits for the flight numbers.

Remember every landing was announced? Stood on the balcony upstairs, no sooner had the wheels of BMA's DC9 flight from Paris touched the runway when, Bing Bong "British Midland Airways announce the arrive of flight BD257 from Paris CHarles de Gaulle".

The whole landside terminal could hear an ATP taxiing onto stand - though nothing, but nothing is as nostalgic as the whine of the Viscounts!

Aviogenex on Sundays. Spanair DC8's.

oh boy - I'm on a roll now.......somebody stop me :ok:

That big plastic Crocadile at the croc-pot restaurant.

Anyone got any pictures of the terminal during this period?

foxile
6th Aug 2006, 20:03
I see from the Ryanair web-site lots of 'new' routes for other airports but nothing for EMA. I'm correct in thinking that means nothing new for the winter then?

As much as I love TAP I was rather hoping/dreaming for a Porto service to avoid that weekly slog to, and excessive car parking costs at, LHR....
(I know EMA is not cheap parking either but I'm only 15 mins away so I can get the better half to run me over! (?))

phil_2405
6th Aug 2006, 20:36
foxile

If by winter you mean, nothing new between now and end of March 07 for RYR @ NEMA then I don't think your correct. :hmm:

foxile
6th Aug 2006, 22:08
phil_2405

Thank you Phil, good, I hope not.

T'was merely a query addressed to those in the know better than a mere member of the SLF fraternity. And by winter I meant the ability for me to fly on a new route from, let's say, late October onwards.... :)

emaint2003
7th Aug 2006, 09:52
Latest is 3 more based aircraft by end of winter by Ryanair.

Charlie Roy
7th Aug 2006, 09:59
emaint2003

THREE aircraft! Wow, lucky for some ;) Any idea of new destinations? It'll probably be months before they're announced, will it?

phil_2405
7th Aug 2006, 18:05
RYR announced the base in Sept 05 and launched in Feb 06 (?) so an announcement might not be too far away....

egnxema
8th Aug 2006, 11:54
Here's an interesting "fact" (I have not verified it yet)

With Midland Mainline offering Standard Class fares from St Pancras to Loughborough, Long Eaton, Derby or Nottingham for only £6.00 one way it makes Nottingham East Midlands the cheapest airport to get to on the train from central London!

Ryanair take note! :E

By the way - the cheapest 1st class ticket is £12! And having travelled with them last Friday in 1st I 100% reccommend it! Newspaper, Tea, Coffee, Wine, Mineral Water, Biscuits etc all served to your seat and inc in the fare!

Please someone hurry up and get the East Midlands Parkway Station built!!

Any news on that?? The MML website hasn't been updated for a while!

EastMids
8th Aug 2006, 16:22
Please someone hurry up and get the East Midlands Parkway Station built!! Any news on that?? The MML website hasn't been updated for a while!

The synergy for the East Midlands Airport Parkway station has, to some degree, been lost since the National Express Group (who used to own both EMA and MML) sold the airport. I don't suppose the now funded plans for dualling the A453 has helped speed progress either. None the less, the Parkway station is still on the agenda. However, MML's franchise is up for renewal next year, when the existing franchise (broadly Sheffield/Derby/Nottingham to London) will almost certainly be merged with a part of Central Trains network, the new combined franchise covering most passenger rail services in and from/to the East Midlands. No progress will be made on the Parkway station until the new franchise is awarded, because the existing franchise holder (NEG) won't get return on investment in the period they have remaining. Whilst I don't think that it has been stated as such to date, construction of the Parkway station could potentially be included as a provision in the new franchise.

phil_2405
8th Aug 2006, 19:26
The latest airport press release states that July's pax figs were up 15% against July 05 :)

Centre cities
8th Aug 2006, 22:16
Which takes them to the level of 2004 I think. Still a good recovery.

Centre cities

phil_2405
8th Aug 2006, 22:28
Centre cities

It's above 2004 levels I believe Centre Cities but as you say good to see it on the rise again!

flybmi
11th Aug 2006, 17:51
Hi guys,

I was wondering if somebody could help me,

A while back U2 stopped flying EMA-GLA, and now only Baby are left on the route. Why did U2 stop, and is there any chance of seeing another airline on the route?

Many thanks!

OltonPete
11th Aug 2006, 18:02
Hi flybmi

Normally I would say if Easy can't compete then forget it.

However with Ryanair now having a base, I suppose you could not
rule out an EMA-PIK. However it would need to be two a day (probably)
and at 189 seats a flight this could be overkill.

If anybody can do it is Ryanair.

As for any other airline I just can't see it.

Pete

Dazzle
11th Aug 2006, 19:46
I'd like to see EMA to Jerez or Seville flights. Now that Ryanair have a base here, does anyone think there's a chance?

phil_2405
14th Aug 2006, 21:35
Dazzle

I would be very surprised if Ryanair did not launch further Spanish routes from NEMA in the next round of new routes. I would say Seville along with Valencia are a strong possibility. How about a EMA-MAD service, if Ryanair do set up a new base in MAD?

BRISTOLRE
15th Aug 2006, 08:10
Why the expense of a Parkway?
Decent enough bus services to & from Nottingham, Loughborough Station and Derby as it is...!!
The airport and local operators (TrentBarton & NCT) have invested heavily in frequencies and quality recently.

EastMids
15th Aug 2006, 08:21
BRISTOLRE

The Parkway station is also intended as a park and ride station for Nottingham, Derby, Leicester - come off the motorway, park at the station and ride into the cities to avoid congestion.

Andy

Mr Angry from Purley
15th Aug 2006, 10:50
phil 2405

MAD = expensive, no slots, and into Iberias heart. No chance
Maybe somewhere close by but not MAD :\

airhumberside
15th Aug 2006, 11:15
Mr Angry - FR announced flights into MAD, from DUB, last week

egnxema
15th Aug 2006, 11:24
Mr Angry - we thinks you are about to become Mr Surprised. Read the Ryanair thread.

:ok:

flybmi
15th Aug 2006, 12:44
Hi flybmi

Normally I would say if Easy can't compete then forget it.

However with Ryanair now having a base, I suppose you could not
rule out an EMA-PIK. However it would need to be two a day (probably)
and at 189 seats a flight this could be overkill.

If anybody can do it is Ryanair.

As for any other airline I just can't see it.

Pete

Many thanks Pete!

Does anybody know if EMA-PIK is something FR has considered?

Thanks

egnxema
15th Aug 2006, 13:48
With FR's 2 Poland routes performing so well from EMA, should the rumours of 3 new based aircraft come to fruition there must be a whole host of potentially successful routes, more Spain, as suggested, Italy would have an outbound market, but inbound, with Lincs and eastern England being big emplyment areas for eastern europeans any number of current Ryanair destinations in the east of europe would be potentially strong EMA contenders. I would be surprised if PIK featured in the EMA schedule though.

big.al
15th Aug 2006, 15:24
Pure speculation but perhaps Ryanair will consider EMA-AGP. They will have to compete with Easy and Baby but with such a big year-round market to Malaga, since when has competition scared them off? They already serve Malaga from DUB so I assume that the landing fees at AGP are not prohibitive to their operating model...

Thoughts?

phil_2405
15th Aug 2006, 20:29
I don't think Ryanair will launch EMA-PIK or EMA-AGP personally. I think we will see more Spanish routes and possible EMA-KRK. I would like to see more German routes as well, SXF seems to be perfoming well.

egnxema
16th Aug 2006, 09:12
I agree with you Phil - FR don;t do AGP from any UK airport. I guess the yields on the DUB CRL and SNN departures must be suitably high enough to AGP.

EMA - MRS would be good as WW stopped NCE

Oh dear - trhis is starting to sound like a spotter's wish list - I'll stop.:p

egnxema
16th Aug 2006, 09:27
This is copied from the LTN thread - but gives good reason for everyone at EMA to feel proud for the work they are doing this summer. :ok:

July Passenger Figures

HEATHROW 6,533,164 +1.2%
GATWICK 3,720,070 +4.2%
MANCHESTER 2,422,504 +1.0%
STANSTED 2,391,507 +10.0%
GLASGOW 1,036,595 -1.7%
LUTON 959,114 +5.2%
BIRMINGHAM 945,264 -6.8%
EDINBURGH 862,523 +2.0%
NEWCASTLE 603,209 +5.9%
BRISTOL 572,487 +6.3%
EAST MIDS 525,113 +17.5%;)
LIVERPOOL 483,597 +9.2%
ABERDEEN 292,237 +6.6%
PRESTWICK 268,400 +0.8%
CARDIFF WALES 241,768 +14.7%

egnxema
23rd Aug 2006, 09:20
Wednesday again - man the weeks fly by!

The airport has announced more ground transportation in the form of a "dial-a-ride" for the Coalville area. Keeping on improving the Public Transport links is a very positive move.

Has anyone seen/heard many details of the plans for the terminal reshuffle during the coming winter season? It seems that the majority of the terminal building will be airside if the entrance to Departures is moved to the ICE-Ilkeston Coop area.

How have Security queues been during the past week?

egnxema
29th Aug 2006, 15:53
Fly From East Midlands

Grenoble Lyon NEW
Salzburg NEW

New routes from FR

:ok:

egnxema
29th Aug 2006, 16:00
Seems GNB is weekly x 1 on a WED Starts 20DEC
SZG is weekly x 4 MWFSu Starts 18DEC

More to come??

Charlie Roy
29th Aug 2006, 16:09
egnxema

GNB is on Wednesdays and Saturdays. Does GNB come at the expense of a reduced frequency to Berlin? How bad though :ok:

Charlie Roy
29th Aug 2006, 16:15
Limoges appears in the booking engine twice weekly in November, but increases to trice weekly from 7th December. Weird :confused:

egnxema
31st Aug 2006, 10:26
Ryanair Schedule

It seems the schedules for the EMA based aircraft are currently only bookable until 31JAN07. Routes operated by aircraft from other bases are bookable til 31MAR07. The 2 new ski routes from EMA operate 18/12-16/04.

Bergerac SM-W-F- Not available to bool after 06NOV06 :confused:
Berlin SMT-TF- Til 31/01
Carcassone S--W-F- Til 31/01
Derry Daily Til 31/01
Dinard S--W-F- Til 31/01
Dublin Daily x 2 S-TW--S
Daily x 3 -M--TF-
Gerona Daily Til 31/03
Grenoble ---W--S 18/12-16/04
Limoges --T-T-S Til 31/01
Lodz --T-T-S Til 31/01
Murcia Daily Til 31/03
Nantes --T-T-S Til 31/01
Nimes --T-T-S Til 31/01
Rome Daily Til 31/03
Salzburg SM-TW-F- 18/12-16/04
Shannon Daily Til 31/03
Wroclaw SM-T-W-F- Til 31/01

Charlie Roy - you seem to be the man with the know-how for these schedules, are there many/any gaps for any other routes?

egnxema
31st Aug 2006, 10:51
I have justhad an amateurish go at it and....

Tuesdays

Aircraft # 1 EMA-Lodz-EMA-Limoges-EMA-Murcia-EMA
Aircraft # 2 EMA-Nimes-EMA-Nantes-EMA-Derry-EMA-Berlin-EMA

but

Mondays

Aircraft # 1 EMA-SZG-EMA-Wroclaw-EMA-Murcia-EMA
Aircraft # 2 EMA-???-EMA-???-EMA-Derry-EMA-Berlin-EMA

So maybe more to come.

I take it DUB CIA SNN GRO are all operated by respectively based aircraft.

Charlie Roy
4th Sep 2006, 23:38
Charlie Roy - you seem to be the man with the know-how for these schedules, are there many/any gaps for any other routes?

The EMA aircraft usage for mid-December until the end of January only shows one inexplicable gap on Monday mornings with aircraft two. This is possibly a simple oversight that will be rectified soon. Or it could be a gap to operate once a week flights to Morocco or somewhere equally far flung! (Don't go holding your breath though)...

Aircraft One
1-3-5-7 Salzburg, Wroclaw, Murcia
-2-4-6- Lodz, Limoges, Murcia

Aircraft Two
1------ *Nothing all morning* Derry, Berlin
-2-4--- Nimes, Nantes, Derry, Berlin
--3---- Carcassonne, Dinard, Derry, Grenoble
----5-7 Carcassonne, Dinard, Derry, Berlin
-----6- Nimes, Nantes, Derry, Grenoble

Strange indeed that the EMA aircraft are for the most part presently unscheduled after the end of January. Maybe EMA could take delivery of the infamous 3rd FR aircraft then, and use that moment to revise all current schedules ;)

Fingers crossed for you guys anyway :ok:

Navy_Adversary
6th Sep 2006, 07:01
BBC East Midlands teletext is reporting that EMA now offers webtrack whereby one can track flights in and out of EMA.
However I have not been able to find out any info from the airports web site.

This may have helped the lady living close to leicester whose car was damaged by ice falling from an aircraft.

Now 8-30 thursday and webtrack is up and running, worth checking out.

Smiliesam
7th Sep 2006, 07:52
http://www.nottinghamema.com/cms/173/webtrak.html

p.s. Just loved the idea that someone has kept the ice in their freezer so that it can be proved where it came from. I thought that one person's c--p was just like another :hmm:

BTW is this forum really moderated by EMA's publicity manager?

Charlie Roy
7th Sep 2006, 14:47
I have seen the web site of an upstarting airline called "Fly UK International" or flyukia and they have EMA in their destinations list. What exact Asian routes are they considering from EMA?

soups
7th Sep 2006, 15:04
Charlie Roy

Amritsar will be on the list

egnxema
8th Sep 2006, 11:27
Not heard from a few of the regulars for a while!:)

You all ok guys/gals?

Little Blue
Almost Prof
Lite
bmibabyfc
Phil 2405
easyboy

What you all up to?

Lite
8th Sep 2006, 11:36
Still here ... just! Now been confirmed that Servisair have the BA Connect contract from the end of October, though have no idea how much competition was put up by Menzies especially as everything is pointing to the fact that they've perhaps expanded at too fast a pace with quality waining just a bit, actually making Servisair look professional! Have to wait for another month to find out about how many staff Servisair are keeping, and how big Ryanair are going to look.

Flyboy543
8th Sep 2006, 11:56
Have herd it mentioned that First Choice may be moving to Menzies from first of November, but havn't had it confirmed. Also have herd from same sources that they may change the A321 to a B757 next season? :confused:

Can anyone confirm or deny?

I saw the CUSS machines in operation the other day, but not the day after, then working again the day after! are they just testing the system or is it up and running now? Only noticed Thomsonfly on the screens and only one of their flights, not the other one which was checking in as normal. Any news?

bmibabyfc
8th Sep 2006, 22:31
bmibabyfc is still here..........

have nothing to report on ema at moment, baby have set a twice daily abz from bhx...would be nice to go head to head with eastern from ema though!!!

not hearing good reports about the cuss machines the airport are using, not benefit to the pax that use them!!

regards as ever

bmibabyfc

phil_2405
8th Sep 2006, 22:42
Hey egnxema,

Nottingham East Midlands Airport (NEMA) is delighted to announce its busiest month on record – a 12% increase on the same month in 2005.
Between 1 August and 31 August 2006, 524,075 customers travelled to and from the Airport – this resulted in highest number of passengers in the history of the Castle Donington base.
http://www.nottinghamema.com/cms/177/airport-celebrates-busiest-month-on-record.html
More good news for NEMA pax figs.

I've heard baby are getting some new aircraft and NEMA may get one, is that true? Apologises if its been discussed before.

Richard Taylor
9th Sep 2006, 05:42
Morning from ABZ.

I really hope bmi Baby take a look at EMA-ABZ. T3 have had it easy for too long, I think it is a route that could do with & could be boosted by competition, but with the right timings. I feel bmi B, now that they are coming to ABZ with the BHX launch, could be the airline to do that.

I recall bmi Reg did try a 1x daily M-F EMA-ABZ a few years back (with a EMA E145 as I recall) but was not a success. Perhaps unsurprising as the timing was rubbish - lunchtime - & no good for business.

Proper freq & timing (& a loco ;) ) may assist.

bacardi walla
9th Sep 2006, 07:50
BMi Regional or BMC as it was then, used to fly EMA-ABZ daily. I know, I flew on the damn thing.... :uhoh:

bmibaby.com
9th Sep 2006, 16:37
There was a time in the 1990s (as early as my history with Midland goes) when EMA-ABZ was served by British Midland on a 3x daily basis, I think with the Saab 340. Am guessing it was when they got rid of this type that the route was dropped. The latest attempt at ABZ which has been mentioned was the once daily ERJ-145 flight which tried to utilise the Embraer when it wasn't flying to BRU, and as mentioned, was a flop thanks to it's once daily frequency. With the extortionate T3 fares, a twice daily WW service would capture the market with ease, but bmibaby have neglected their home base for a long time.

easyboy
10th Sep 2006, 22:53
Not heard from a few of the regulars for a while!:)
You all ok guys/gals?
Little Blue
Almost Prof
Lite
bmibabyfc
Phil 2405
easyboy
What you all up to?

Yeh I'm still about - been working a fair bit recently and too knackered to do anything when I get in after a long day onboard :-)

easyboy

Little Blue
11th Sep 2006, 06:58
Still here....but been busy with my new daughter ! Oh, and having the usual busy summer in bmi and baby ops....
Would love to see EMA-ABZ, 'cos got family up there.
Wish we'd start looking at the Italian/German market again.
Right..back to the nappies !

almost professional
11th Sep 2006, 08:56
Still here too!-busy summer with radar trainees and trying to get some tower time to cause chaos!
saw the CUSS terminals in use, lots of management around as well-if they are succesfull does it mean fewer check-in desks? winter going to be busy with building work, moving central search and new pier between central apron and western extension
what do you guys think of webtrak?

UPS@EMA
11th Sep 2006, 09:48
almost professional says: winter going to be busy with building work, moving central search and new pier between central apron and western extension

What new pier. dont get to hear much nemore living over in malaysia.

Regards

UPS@EMA

almost professional
11th Sep 2006, 11:09
extension to the departure lounge on the ground between the central apron and the new apron, holding lounges I think-means more stands are accessable by foot rather than coach, and increases the available airside area.
Do not think that includes airbridges, but could i suppose have the capability put in

bmibaby.com
11th Sep 2006, 12:10
I believe the new pier is being designed with the low-cost carriers in mind, ie plenty of room to get people lined up to the gate early.

egnxema
11th Sep 2006, 13:37
Some significant increase to the airside capacity this winter then!! Moving the Departures Door to the Ilk Co-op area. then the new pier.

Almost prof - will the pier go right out to all the stands on the new western Apron?

Will make quite a walk from Check-in to gate - but definately long overdue. Will arriving pax still be coached from the western apron to the arrivals area? Or will they walk into the pier and along the full length of the terminal front?

EastMids
11th Sep 2006, 13:47
what do you guys think of webtrak?
It might actually be interesting and useful if it showed flights in real time, but as it is its a waste of space IMHO. Yes, I know it says the 24 hour delay is for "security reasons" (ha! isn't that a cover up for a multitude of sins these days?), but that "justification" is a load of tosh when you consider any enthusiast can buy an SBS-1 track in real time any aeroplanes that have Mode-S/ADS-B (which is becoming an increasingly common fit).

Andy

almost professional
11th Sep 2006, 13:47
I am guessing that it will stretch most of the way along, leaving room for vehicle access at the north end-should think that arriving pax will still need bussing to arrivals-be tricky to organise it so that inbound/outbound pax kept apart in one building-now for some more A/C to fill those stands!

Little Blue
11th Sep 2006, 16:08
Does anyone remember the "ghost" pier that they experimented with back in the early 90's?
Instead of building a pier, they parked the a/c around the empty area of ramp which would have been the pier, if they'd actually built the bloody thing !
It looked crazy and was crazy. Pax had to walk around the markings on the ramp, instead of going straight across to their a/c.
It didn't last for too long.
Whats happening with the entrance to the airport, off the 453?
Noticed that they have whitewashed some of the roadsigns around the traffic lights.
Right..I start sounding like an EMA freak...see ya !:\

phil_2405
11th Sep 2006, 16:26
extension to the departure lounge on the ground between the central apron and the new apron, holding lounges I think-means more stands are accessable by foot rather than coach, and increases the available airside area.
Do not think that includes airbridges, but could i suppose have the capability put in

I was under the impression the pier is going to be accessed from the 1st floor :confused:

almost professional
11th Sep 2006, 16:30
Oh yes I remember it!-think the idea was to maximise the parking on the central apron, allowing as many different types of A/C as possible, however nobody asked the opinions of those trying to operate the apron-it made pushbacks and the interaction between various stands a nightmare! , only good thing was the fact they tried it out in phantom guise before building anything

almost professional
11th Sep 2006, 16:34
Phil-you may well be right, all I know is what has been passed along on staff briefings-all a bit second hand-that would give them the option to put in airbridges at some time then if it is two storey

UPS@EMA
12th Sep 2006, 07:17
Looking at the pictures of the new apron, isnt building a new pier going to take a lot of building work, i.e extension to the departures, integrating the tower or that kind of area and then up between? wont that double the size of the departures????? are they gonna use 1 side of it for low costers and the other side with air bridges.

UPS@EMA
12th Sep 2006, 08:06
BTW looks like Mytravel are offering a weekly service to Mombasa in Kenya from March through to May 2007. First flight out is on the 13th March,

Departs EMA at 00:10 and arrives MBA at 12:30
Departs MBA at 14:30 and arrives EMA at 21:25

Flights operated by the A330-200

Regards

Stu

phil_2405
12th Sep 2006, 13:14
UPS@EMA

Something a bit more unusual for NEMA :ok:

UPSAirOps
13th Sep 2006, 06:26
Think I caught glimpse of an Atlantic Airlines Electra on the taxiway this morning at around 0530L. Any ideas on where that was routed to? Presumably was working on DHL's behalf as it didn't look like TNT were using it.

almost professional
13th Sep 2006, 07:07
has been operating the DHL cork route for a couple of weeks

UPSAirOps
13th Sep 2006, 07:10
Thanks almost_professional! Will keep an eye out for it in the future, nice to see such aircraft still doing the rounds, so to speak.

leedsgirl
13th Sep 2006, 07:36
People Board Wrong Ezy Plane At EMA:

Advert link removed

"Easyjet is investigating after a Notts family got on the wrong plane and almost ended up 700 miles from their holiday destination.

Angela Brown, her partner and son cleared two boarding pass checks as they tried to catch a flight from Nottingham East Midlands Airport to Alicante, Spain.

But despite being sent through by airline staff, they got on a flight bound for Rome.

Mrs Brown, who was with partner John Handley, 45, and seven-year-old son Ryan Thexton-Brown, said: "We checked the departures board which told us to go to gate one but the next thing that came over the tannoy we thought said to go to gate three.

"It said Rome above the gate but we got in the queue. We gave our boarding passes in and the man just let us through and marked us off on a piece of paper.

"We handed our passes in on the flight too and they didn't query it."

Recalling what happened on Sunday, July 30, Mrs Brown, 42, a reception supervisor from Cotgrave, said: "The next thing we heard was the captain saying the flight for Rome would be leaving in ten minutes.

"My partner asked if the flight was for Alicante and they said no.

"Luckily our flight was delayed by 25 minutes so we just walked across the runway and got it."

Now they are considering not using the airline again.

Mrs Brown added: "If this can happen to us, and we did it by accident, then who knows what kind of people could board a flight."

The flight to Alicante was delayed because the aircraft had to wait to be allocated a stand - a parking bay.

A spokeswoman from Easyjet said: "The delay in allocating a stand added to the confusion over where the passengers went to, and caused the flight delay."

She explained the Alicante flight was still boarding so staff would not have been aware any passengers were missing.

She added: "The passengers went though security checks which found them to be Easyjet passengers with valid passports and boarding passes.

"They were entitled to get on to an Easyjet flight.

"The checks would have found any dangerous items had they been carrying any, but obviously they were not.

"They would have gone through the security checks whichever Easyjet flight they were getting on, so security has not been breached.

"This was an operational issue, not a security issue. We are launching an investigation."

James Fremantle, spokesman for the Air Transport Users Council, said they had received a surprising number of similar complaints.

"It would be good customer service for airlines to check passengers are on the correct flight," he said.

A spokesman for the Department for Transport said airlines, especially for international flights, should check the person getting on the plane is the same as the passport holder and on the correct flight, but said security checks would have been completed sufficiently."

egnxema
13th Sep 2006, 09:29
Mrs Brown added: "If this can happen to us, and we did it by accident, then who knows what kind of people could board a flight."

Yeah - who knows ay!!? More Idiots like you I reckon!

"we thought said to go to gate three."

"It said Rome above the gate but we got in the queue"

"Now they are considering not using the airline again. " GOOD!

I am sure some people hand in their brain along with their hold-baggage.

I for one, do not expect gate handlers and crew at the aircraft doors to focus on the small print of over 100 boarding pass stubs.

You've checked in, security guys have made sure you are not carrying anything dodgy. The least you can do is listen to announcements and check the screen above the gate.

I laughed out loud when I read that article! I'd have thought most people would have been ASHAMED to be interviewed for the paper.:D :D

SKYWRITER1
13th Sep 2006, 11:47
It really is quite worrying people can be so stupid, but this sort of thing is fairly common!
When I used to be a dispatcher, I've had people climb over a walkway barrier and walk towards an ATP with doors closed and both engines running, about to push, when they were going with Britannia to TFS!

On a different note, does anybody know of Thomsonflys presence? (I'm currently based in MAN with somebody else) How many A/C, type, etc, especially for next year? I am particularly interested in 737 routes as NEMA could become my new home

Cheers

tui doll
13th Sep 2006, 14:55
I have heard the rumour that Summer 2007 will bring one of each aircraft to EMA - 757, 767-200 and 737 operating approx 40 flights a week - can anyone out there confirm this?

phil_2405
13th Sep 2006, 16:26
tui doll

I cannot confirm it but I've heard similar.

egnxema
13th Sep 2006, 16:30
I had heard the 762's were being sold to SilverJet, does that mean the 763 could be at EMA. BHX guys seem to be worried they will be loosing the 763 and its longhaul programme.

phil_2405
13th Sep 2006, 16:34
I've just got an email from Thomsonfly where they launch several new "low fare routes" including ALC, IBZ, MAH and PFO from NEMA (they already operate PMI as a "low fare route"). Will these just be their normal charter flights or more regularly scheduled services?

barrowboyblue!
13th Sep 2006, 17:23
Gud news re the extra route's - but I can feel the Airports Infrastructure beginnig to creak atits knees!!!!!!
The move/upgrade of central search/ departures badly needs to be done!!
(to wade off Robin Hood and LBA/LPL)
Seems like all the hard work and investment put into the airport to lengthen the r/way and apron a few years back.. is finally beginning to pay off - with our friends at BHX paying the price as operators chose EMA instead of them....
bmibaby - any news of new routes?? its gone quiet...
nice to see that the ''mother'' bmi charter a/c in EMA ---
Don't ya just love that Livery!
rgrrds bbb

... ill just keep bobbin along....

Coasthugger
13th Sep 2006, 17:30
(to wade off Robin Hood and MAN)

Ward off MAN? MAN owns NEMA - why would it want to compete with itself?

MAN seems to view NEMA as a stalking horse. It can drive LCC expansion at NEMA to compete with DSA/LBA/LPL... without undermining the pricing at MAN.

barrowboyblue!
13th Sep 2006, 17:38
Nema - Stalking horse eh???:rolleyes:
Never thought of it like that........
Ill get back to you....

phil_2405
13th Sep 2006, 17:47
Gud news re the extra route's - but I can feel the Airports Infrastructure beginnig to creak atits knees!!!!!!

Work is starting shortly I believe.

IMHO
13th Sep 2006, 17:52
Good point - and plaudits for those that completed the r/way work on time..
BHX is beginning to suffer and no doubt they'll have to make some important
decisions re airfield investment..... (but we'll leave that to them...)
Nema... stalking horse?? Intresting analogy...
Ill also get back to you!! :rolleyes:

egnxema
14th Sep 2006, 11:42
Sad news for those based at MME with WW pulling out completely as on 06NOV06.

WW will relocate the 2 MME aircraft, and will have an additional 2 for Summer 07.

The MME loss could well be an EMA gain, as it seems very possible that at least 1 additional aircraft will be joining the current 5 in the not too distant future.

Will 6 be the most baby jets based at EMA, or were there 7 in pre-BHX days?

bmibaby.com
14th Sep 2006, 15:41
Will 6 be the most baby jets based at EMA, or were there 7 in pre-BHX days?

At it's height in the winter 2002 period, and I believe for 2003, there were nine bmibaby aircraft, whether 737s or Fokkers operating for baby, based at EMA, although some of these aircraft operated W pattern flights into CWL & MAN.

No official announcement of where the two displaced aircraft will go, though considering it is with little notice, I'd presume the routes they are planning would be immediate money makers with little advance booking like ABZ, or a ski route?

egnxema
14th Sep 2006, 16:14
FR have suspended the EMA FNI flights (along with other French routes from other bases) NOV - FEB. Assurance given that he flight will return.

New routes to be announced within the next 4 weeks.

See FR website news.

Banzai Eagle
14th Sep 2006, 18:36
Much as I love NEMA, the place is still mickey mouse from getting dropped off in the car park, (avoiding cars and punters) to the madcap sheeplike walk up and down the isles as you come into immigation, why not just open the gates to allow direct access when there is no queue :ugh:

Navy_Adversary
15th Sep 2006, 07:19
banzai
I couldn't agree with you more.

EMA seems like a training base for jobsworths, it is so convenient but also inconvenient if you know what I mean.
Taxis are going around in ever decreasing circles,(10mins max) even before the latest security alert the security team outnumbered the Pax.
Customs slapped my wrist because I had 200 extra ciggies from an EU destination (PRG)

Arrivals will be closed April 1st for a filming of One man and his dog:)

almost professional
15th Sep 2006, 09:26
perhaps blaming the airport for things that are beyond its control is a bit unfair-the DFT insist that there is no drop off/pick up outside the terminal-thus the situation with the short term, customs is customs and again outside our control and as for the inconvenience of having to walk around a couple of rows of crowd control! hopefully the changes over winter will alleviate the worst of the problems with the security check points too

paul atkins
20th Sep 2006, 07:03
very disapointed to see that there expansion is to be from birmingham i think in the old days of tony davis who promised so much from the airport i think

paul atkins
20th Sep 2006, 07:09
pressed the button before i had finished in the old days tony davis promised to make nema a major european hub even fought for the name change which caused a lot trouble with people living in Derby & Leicester i think the airline which is going backwards at nema need to look back at there roots on the plus side excel are to be replaced by air malta next summer thats the end of the grunt cheers paul

bycrewlgw
20th Sep 2006, 07:42
They're doing the same thing at CWL quite dissapointing reall that they haven't expanded more. Must have been living in La la land when they announced CWL as a base. Was thinking it would be similar expansion as GO/EZY in BRS! Never mind!

BYCREWLGW

Navy_Adversary
20th Sep 2006, 09:14
This may be too simplistic but wasn't the Tony Davis/BMIBaby scenario all about getting the airports name changed to attract more foreign visitors to the East Midlands?
Many europeans didn't know the East Midlands, but they did know where Nottingham was:confused:

So the Airport authorities played ball, after all they didn't want to agitate a major player in the Loco revolution, but they did not mind upsetting the people of Derby and Leicester by changing the airports name to Nottingham.

Now a few years down the line...ermmmm, thanks for the loyalty BMIBaby, lets go back to Castledon, plenty of people know about the race track etc

emababy
27th Sep 2006, 23:56
well its typical bmibaby management for you never thinking about ema the place where it all started. i mean what is bhx going to do with 8 aircraft because its def not having any new routes. looking at it on a saturday they are having 3 bhx-agp!!! what a waste of time look for new routes mr rix its the way forward!!!

future_pilot17
28th Sep 2006, 08:09
emababy

I beg to differ on that count!

"We (bmibaby) will be introducing a number of exciting new destinations to compliment the thirteen European destinations that bmibaby currently serves from Birmingham International Airport. The new destinations have not been finalised as we are still in the process of compiling a short list of European destinations that offer the market potential and infrastructure to cope with the significant injection of passenger volumes that bmibaby will drive. The plan is to conclude discussions with short listed airport destinations over the next few weeks."

paul atkins
28th Sep 2006, 12:20
hey all just been on ryanairs web page to find these flights 0630 to rome
0630 to girona & 0635 to dublin(27/2/07) looking like the based planes now operating these routes cheers paul

paul atkins
28th Sep 2006, 13:08
must be loading the timetable as i am on it i have noticed the following day that salzburg departs 0615 & returns at1055 making four departures on the wednesday morning cheers paul

bmibaby.com
28th Sep 2006, 13:46
These new routes from BHX may actually benefit the EMA base, because if bmibaby manages to strike a good deal with the new airports or the routes seem to sell well, there appears to be no reason why a similar service could operate from EMA.

Currently there are plans for a sixth 737-300 for EMA some time in 2007, and also within the bmi group there are plans for the second charter A320 to spend more of the week based at EMA to take over a portion of the flying which this summer has been with UKJET.

Rumours have been circulating around the airport of a major shake up within bmi group for our ground handling needs, hopefully it won't be too negative news for our ground team at EMA.

cym
28th Sep 2006, 14:49
bmibaby - do you know if CWL will get the rumoured 4th 737 for s07?

cym

BAforever
28th Sep 2006, 17:05
From what ive heard it will, with new destinations in s07:ok:

nema/robin hood
28th Sep 2006, 20:32
Regarding FR - Looks like the timetable is being played around with for all of the routes. Only DUB, SNN, CIA and GRO bookable. All other destinations are saying 'no flights available' when I tried to book for mid March 07.

Could an announcement be in the offering regarding another based unit and more destinations? Let's hope so!!!

emababy
29th Sep 2006, 16:30
Future pilot 17

What baby management say and what they do are 2 totally different things and trust me i have seen the routes from bhx in the summer and 3 agps aday they dont have the aircraft to offer additional routes as if the aircrafts are over worked as it is!!!!!!

OltonPete
29th Sep 2006, 16:36
emababy

Hi emababy

Can you just clarify the above?

The website shows 3 Malaga's on a Saturday only.

Are you saying that once the full schedules released that it will
be three a day? With ZB and BE offering AGP it would be mad
and Baby have been fairly smart with their BHX schedules in the past.

Also the rumour was that reduced fees at BHX was conditional
on some new routes not just Glasgows and Paris etc.

Are there any Italian routes on the cards - big gap in the
BHX route map?

Pete

egnxema
4th Oct 2006, 12:20
Its been a few days since Paul pointed out the timetable changes for CIA DUB and GRO.

Any news on what is happening with FR?

anna_list
4th Oct 2006, 12:55
According to the latest Ryanair Investor Presentation on Friday (see the Investor Relations section of their website, page 19 of the presentation), EMA will receive a further three B738s this Winter, taking the total to 5.

As has already been pointed out, it looks as though EMA based aircraft will be taking over the three DUB rotations plus the daily GRO and EMA routes from February onwards. This still leaves plenty of room for new routes and should mean at least another 0.5 Million FR pax though EMA each year.

By my (very rough) calculations, this will also make FR the largest airline @ EMA by passenger volume.

UPS@EMA
4th Oct 2006, 14:56
wouldnt mind a Tampere route from EMA along with Skavsta and riga. More spanish routes would also work. Will FR go head to head with BA Connect and launch a Tenerife service. I know BA serve TFS and FR are starting TFN but what do people think?

Hows the building work coming along with the pier?????? is there any pics anywhere where they are building and whos doing the work?

Regards

Stu

paul atkins
4th Oct 2006, 16:57
hey all been looking at the booking system for the ba flights to tenerife it seems these flights will finish at the end of may ( bristol flights continue through out the summer )i dont know how the bookings are going but to compare not as good as bristol it seems cheers paul

phil_2405
4th Oct 2006, 17:54
By my (very rough) calculations, this will also make FR the largest airline @ EMA by passenger volume.

I believe Ryanair are already the largest airline by total pax.

Have they started on the pier yet? I know from my visit yesterday that some of the terminal landside has been boarded off now as the terminal redevelopment gets underway.

easyboy
4th Oct 2006, 17:57
whats this peir I've been hearing about???

cesare.caldi
4th Oct 2006, 19:13
Italian press report about new Ryanair route EMA-AHO will be annunced soon.

Also Alghero is negotiating with Ryanair to become a new italian base.

almost professional
4th Oct 2006, 19:27
just put up new route map on wall of departures-Santiago,Grenada, Alghero, Pisa, Bergamo, Bratislava, Knock, Inverness all appear!
must be an announcement shortly!

phil_2405
4th Oct 2006, 19:56
almost professional

Wow, must be an annoncement very soon or someone is gonna be in trouble for putting it up early! :eek:

Were there anymore routes or is that just what you can remember almost professional?

nema/robin hood
4th Oct 2006, 19:59
WOW!!!!

Let's hope this comes to fruition.

Really fancy a few days in Granada or Bratislava.

Inverness will really upset Eastern.

Will the Pisa route still operate from Doncaster - Would have thought this route from both EMA & Doncaster would be a bit of overkill.

nema/robin hood
4th Oct 2006, 20:06
Sorry about the Inverness boob!!

I do know really that Eastern only operate to ABZ from EMA!!

airhumberside
4th Oct 2006, 20:22
Will the Pisa route still operate from Doncaster - Would have thought this route from both EMA & Doncaster would be a bit of overkill.
While PSA isn't Gerona or Dublin, I think any NEMA-PSA route wouldn't seriously impact on DSA-PSA. I would have thought Yorkshire and the Humber pax could sustain the DSA service and Midlands pax the NEMA service. Pisa is quite a popular destination, particulalrly in the summer and they seem to be offering FR a good deal to keep expanding there (as shown by FR's rapid expansion there)

cesare.caldi
4th Oct 2006, 20:47
just put up new route map on wall of departures-Santiago,Grenada, Alghero, Pisa, Bergamo, Bratislava, Knock, Inverness all appear!
must be an announcement shortly!

I can't see anythings on route map! Where?

phil_2405
4th Oct 2006, 20:52
I can't see anythings on route map! Where?

I presume they mean the large route map on the terminal wall by the Ryanair check-in desks at NEMA.

cesare.caldi
4th Oct 2006, 20:59
phil_2405

Thanks! Anyone can post here a photo of this new route map? ;)

Charlie Roy
4th Oct 2006, 21:13
I imagine it'll be online tomorrow. I can't imagine Ryanair putting up the new signage too long in advance.

THREE new aircraft! So it seems they'll allow for the 8 new routes mentioned by almost professional and also to fly to Dublin 3xdaily and Girona 1xdaily.
I wonder are there any other routes that almost professional missed... ? Will just have to wait until tomorrow and see ;)

almost professional
4th Oct 2006, 21:34
had another look on the way home-valencia was the only one that I think I missed!

phil_2405
4th Oct 2006, 21:49
had another look on the way home-valencia was the only one that I think I missed!
Excellent! I was hoping Valencia might be in there somewhere. Can we expect an announcement tomorrow then do you think?
From what I've heard, these 3 new based RYR will not be the last in 2007....

almost professional
4th Oct 2006, 21:55
might well be-as an aside Emb190 demonstrator flew in today, parked outside BMI hangar-supposedly demo for them

NutLoose
5th Oct 2006, 00:02
Brilliant! Thanks Almost Prof for your camera skills, and Chilli Monster for your upload skills.

Is the new apron 5 new stands? And is it a cul-de-sac with just one entry/exit?

Couple more questions.....

Why is there a need for a fence running 3/4 of the length between apron and the hangar area?

Why not just fill in that gap between the hangar taxiway and the new apron?

Ahh that'll be the fence the budget probably didn't quite stretch to completing, so 3 sticks and a bit of string has to suffice LOL........... East Mids at its Best.

I know I shouldn't, but after spending all that money................... :\

http://mysite.orange.co.uk/donno2006/fence.jpg

Tisme
5th Oct 2006, 06:01
might well be-as an aside Emb190 demonstrator flew in today, parked outside BMI hangar-supposedly demo for them

That is correct, it is being demo'd today, quite a few are going on it for a test flight but from what I can gather it was invitation only.

jabird
5th Oct 2006, 06:06
"just put up new route map on wall of departures...........

8 new routes from 3 based a/c? Would expect more than that, as I can't see them operating any of these on more than daily rotations. Presumably the usual "more to follow", but there is an announcement due today. Would have though PIK would support multiple daily, but can't imagine it is top of FR's priority list.

"Grenada" - great, the Caribbean for 1p! Didn't know the '800s could stretch that far :eek:

Charlie Roy
5th Oct 2006, 06:30
8 new routes from 3 based a/c? Would expect more than that, as I can't see them operating any of these on more than daily rotations.

One of the the 3 new aircraft will effectively be busy doing Dublin 3xdaily and Girona 1xdaily. That leaves 2 aircraft. Indeed, you still might expect a couple of routes more than the 9 new routes sited by almost professional. Maybe there will be more to follow, or maybe the new aircraft will also be used to increase the frequencies on existing routes.

almost professional
5th Oct 2006, 07:18
'Grenada'! OK so my typing skills not the best, trying to post on break between all my other tasks!

Charlie Roy
5th Oct 2006, 08:33
Krakow is a 10th new FR destination not mentioned in previous posts.

bmibaby.com
5th Oct 2006, 08:51
Any idea when we'll be receiving an announcement from Ryanair, and whether this is going to adversely affect any growth from easyJet or bmibaby?

easyboy
5th Oct 2006, 08:58
bmibaby

The new routes appear in the booking engine, and they are also on the destination route map on the Ryanair website.

As for growth from the other two low cost airlines, I can't speak for bmibaby, but it shouldn't affect easyJet as they have no plans to expand their operations at EMA.

Lite
5th Oct 2006, 09:06
New routes and start dates;

From East Midlands To
Alghero (Sardinia) 18 Feb 07
Milan (Orio al Serio) 12 Feb 07
Bratislava (Vienna) 26 Feb 07
Grenoble Lyon 20 Dec 06
Granada 20 Feb 07
Inverness 26 Feb 07
Krakow 20 Feb 07
Knock-IrelandWest 27 Feb 07
Pisa (Florence) 13 Feb 07
Santiago De Compostela 27 Feb 07
Salzburg 18 Dec 06
Valencia 18 Feb 07

Apparently Ryanair are taking over the four First Choice Airways check in positions in the tent, with FCA moving back into the main building, makes sense as the First Choice ticket desk is there, plus rumours of that contract going to Menzies, though nothing has yet been confirmed!

larshakan
5th Oct 2006, 09:36
Freqs....?

egnxema
5th Oct 2006, 09:59
Most Freqs on the newly announced routes seem to be 3 or 4 x weekly.

More understandable now why WW announced placing 3 new aircraft at BHX - they obviously knew or guessed what was coming from FR.

Well done FR :D

egnxema
5th Oct 2006, 12:24
The Times of Malta reports "Ryanair wants more Routes" "Among the destinations being considered are: Barcelona Girona Airport, Milan Bergamo Airport, Rome Ciampino Airport, Venice Treviso Airport, Nottingham East Midlands Airport, Liverpool Airport and Glasgow Prestwick Airport in the UK, and Stockholm-Bromma Airport.

shannon55
5th Oct 2006, 13:30
Stockholm-Bromma airport? I thought Ryanair only used Vasteras or Skavsta?

paul atkins
5th Oct 2006, 14:13
hey all looking at the new routes on sundays from march the timetable does not way up 5 morning dep to bergerac,carcassone,girona,rome,salzburg earliest arriving back 1055 new route valencia departs 0925 is it me or the timetable thank you ryanair cheers paul

nema/robin hood
5th Oct 2006, 19:05
Great news from FR...

2007 is gonna be another year of 'month on month' passenger increases.

Nice to see Krakow on the list - Been two years running (EZY from LTN) for the Christmas Market and have to say it beats PRG hands down.

Now deciding where to book first - Granada or Valencia - Decisions, Decisions!!!

phil_2405
5th Oct 2006, 20:40
bmibaby
As for growth from the other two low cost airlines.... it shouldn't affect easyJet as they have no plans to expand their operations at EMA.
Apparently EMA is back on easyJet's radar and S07 may see A319 No.4. I will not hold my breath though.
Has baby announced where their 4th 'new' B733 will go yet? EMA are still in with a shot I thought.
I guess Ryanair will have to expand their check-in desks from next Feb. How long before the 2nd check-in hall becomes 'the Ryanair check-in hall'?!

phil_2405
5th Oct 2006, 20:52
looking at the new routes on sundays from march the timetable does not way up 5 morning dep to bergerac,carcassone,girona,rome,salzburg earliest arriving back 1055 new route valencia departs 0925 is it me or the timetable thank you ryanair cheers paul
I agree. I looked at 4th March 07 and you have the morning departures to EGC, CCF, GRO, CIA + SZG but 0925 departures to KRK and VLC so before the aircraft get back to EMA :confused:

easyboy
5th Oct 2006, 21:02
Apparently EMA is back on easyJet's radar and S07 may see A319 No.4. I will not hold my breath though.
I won't hold my breath either, I really doubt that EZY are planning any form of expansion from EMA, and a 4th A319 would be nice, but again I wont hold my breath.

egnxema
6th Oct 2006, 08:58
easyboy - why do you reckon it is that EZY view EMA as a base worth keeping, but not a base worth expanding?

easyboy
6th Oct 2006, 10:44
egnxema

There are namy reasons for keeping EMA as a base, we have been assured that the base is staying, just no plans to expand. I guess it's better to stay and not expand than pull out.

bmibaby.com
6th Oct 2006, 11:14
easyJet have remained profitable at the EMA base without having any need to expand it. All of their routes, despite many being in competition with more than one low-cost airline, are all successful, so short of a rumoured move to DSA which has been doing the rounds since that airport opened, I see no reason for them needing to change their EMA operations. The reason I asked earlier up the page, is it has been suggested that Go's initial five year contract with the airport comes up for renewal in February, which means there might be scope for the airport negotiating more routes or whatever happens in these recontracting things.

Sixth bmibaby aircraft confirmed apparently, though no signs of new routes, perhaps we're waiting for after the BHX announcement. Existing aircraft also to be better utilised apparently, though no idea where to, or whether there's just going to be more frequencies on existing routes. Rumours abound about what's happening with baby's CSAs & dispatchers at the airport, all to be revealed next month apparently.

phil_2405
6th Oct 2006, 18:06
The airport seem to be getting their act together recently with new routes so perhaps there is more hope for a 4th EZY, esp if the contract really is being renewed. Do you think they have dropped their prices?! :8 Would EZY tell their staff at this point if they planned/were considering expansion easyboy?
Good news about 6th baby aircraft if it is confirmed. So all the 4 additional baby aircraft for 07 are going to the midlands (3 BHX, 1 EMA) if true. Are the current aircraft not well utilised bmibaby.com?

bmibabyfc
6th Oct 2006, 18:21
FAO bmibaby - do you have a source for the announcement nxt month about baby csas and dispatchers ?

I know the rumours have been going around for a long time about this but i thought they had died down of recent ?

Im certainly not aware of any announcement! :ugh:

regards as ever

bmibabyfc

easyboy
6th Oct 2006, 18:59
The airport seem to be getting their act together recently with new routes so perhaps there is more hope for a 4th EZY, esp if the contract really is being renewed. Do you think they have dropped their prices?! :8 Would EZY tell their staff at this point if they planned/were considering expansion easyboy?

No easyJet won't tell staff before of plans for expansion until an announcement to the stock market has been made, as any form of expansion is seen as "company sensitive information".

Would be nice to know in advance, but hey.

UPS@EMA
10th Oct 2006, 07:54
word on the grapevine is that the AN225 will be back at EMA either today or tomorrow.

Cant wait ill be there

Stu

UPS@EMA
10th Oct 2006, 09:26
another new FR route is to MAD. frequencies TBA

Regards

Stu

Charlie Roy
10th Oct 2006, 09:35
Frequencies were briefly in the booking engine earlier for April as 1-3-5-7, but have disappeared now again...

egnxema
10th Oct 2006, 09:44
A genuinely pleasant surprise that EMA is in there among the bunch of destinations for launching the MAD base. Again a deserved WELL DONE to whoever the team are at EMA who have obviously developed a good relationship with FR. :D :ok:

Will the route be launched with a MAD based aircraft - or could it be launhed with the timings of the temporarily suspended FNI route?

egnxema
10th Oct 2006, 10:01
Phil 2405 - you are obviously a very well informed guy!! You regularly come up trumps with information......tell us.......are you sleeping with a member of FR's cabin crew? :) :ok: :}

phil_2405
10th Oct 2006, 18:24
egnxema

Haha....no afraid not, my partner doesn't even work in aviation...it's good to get a break sometimes!!
Great news for EMA (again) but I'm sure the route could support a daily operation. The route is operated by a MAD based airframe. I agree with you egnxema, the team at EMA seem to be on the up again and they should be congragulated for that :) BA to TFS starts later this month and EMA are still in the running for another based baby aircraft apparently.Let's hope the terminal can cope!

nema/robin hood
10th Oct 2006, 19:53
The news just gets better!!

10 new routes announced last week and now MAD - 28 Routes in total (What a difference a year - or so - makes)

This should be a good route, def worth a daily service. If I cast my mind back to when WW first started, did they not announce that they would 'soon' start services to MAD. But then again WW as well as EZY have just seemed to stagnate at EMA.

phil_2405

I too was thinking about whether the terminal will be able to cope - Do you think this will accelerate the building of the new terminal?

phil_2405
10th Oct 2006, 20:23
Yea I think WW did plan to operate EMA-MAD but it never materalised :confused:
I've just noticed on the NEMA website that Sept 06 saw a 13% increase in pax figs compared to Sept 05, making 6 consecutive months of growth! :)

WATABENCH
10th Oct 2006, 23:01
Not sure if your all aware or not but you better make that 12 new routes in a week for you lot up there, checking the First Choice website EMA-VRA (Varadero, Cuba) now available with FCA from next summer, i'm pretty sure it wasn't there before, correct me if i'm wrong, Split load with BRS, O/B direct I/B via BRS :}
Sorry if it has been mentioned before :ugh:

UPS@EMA
11th Oct 2006, 07:13
WATABENCH

I have just had a look and theres nothing about that on first choices web site. Can u give me a link via PM?

Regards

Stu