PDA

View Full Version : Qantas - Experience commensurate with age

AllInGoodTime
18th Jun 2006, 02:02
Is this a big thing with Qantas, or as long as you meet the min 500 hour command requirements it doesn't matter what your age is. I see Cathay are big on Exp vs Age thing, just wondered if anyone knows if Qantas is too.

Keg
18th Jun 2006, 02:29
Officially, no. Unofficially, I don't know. However don't expect to get in if you're a 40 year old with the bare minimum experience! ;)

Aussie
18th Jun 2006, 03:41
hehe, at least ya honest!

Aussie :cool:

The Bunglerat
18th Jun 2006, 04:54
A mate who joined QF last year told me there was a guy on the course with him in his early 40's. First jet job, although how much experience he had prior to airlines was unknown.

Age in itself is not the barrier it once was, but then I'm also curious as to what exactly constitutes this whole "experience commensurate with age" thing? What numbers/ratios are airline recruiters using as their yardstick? Anyone in the know, care to offer some insight?

One other point worth considering (for those who care): Considering the lengthy wait QF drivers are looking at from initial recruitment as S/O to their first command, what is the likelihood of someone in that age bracket ever being in the running for a position in the left seat anyway? Would an airline even bother with command upgrade training for someone who's only five or so years from retirement? Some might not be too fussed, but after all the blood, sweat and tears spent in establishing a career as an airline pilot, I for one would be feeling quite deflated at the prospect of retiring with only three w@nker bars on the shoulder instead of four. But on the other hand, retiring on a GA salary would be just as deflating also. I guess it's all down to individual perspective in the end...

Capt Claret
18th Jun 2006, 21:10
Bunglerat,

I didn't start flying until I was 26, I'll never have experience commensurate with age. :ugh:

Hugh Jarse
18th Jun 2006, 22:35
Ahh Clarrie,

BUT we have something that the others don't:

AGE COMENSURATE WITH EXPERIENCE !! :} :} :yuk: **furball**

Captain Sand Dune
18th Jun 2006, 23:06
"Experience comensurate with age". A cute and wonderfully ill-defined way of saying although you may meet or exceed all our requirements, we're not giving you a job anyway and we don't feel we need to tell you why!

Yet another reason why I'll leave airline flying to others.

Captain Sand Dune
18th Jun 2006, 23:27
"Experience comensurate with age". A cute and wonderfully ill-defined way of saying although you may meet or exceed all our requirements, we're not giving you a job anyway and we don't feel we need to tell you why!
Yet another reason why I'll leave airline flying to others.

Captain Sand Dune
18th Jun 2006, 23:54
Sorry 'bout that! Obviously like the sound of my own voice too much!

transonic dragon
21st Jun 2006, 00:45
Bunglerat,
I didn't start flying until I was 26, I'll never have experience commensurate with age. :ugh:
Me to, CC, 26 when I went solo. I remember being told to my face by an Ansett Training Capt at a careers day that I was too old for airlines, and not to waste my time on a CPL. Implied in that was a "Don't waste my time either, Gramps!". Schaadenfreude is indeed a sweet thing, eh?

From what I can tell, QF and VB honestly do not care about age, if anything VB in particular lean towards those with a bit of "life experience". Cathay may well be another story.

Speaking of experience, I know that when I started in GA I was one of the few of the very few pilots at my operation who had (a) turned 25 and (b) had sex. So that was gratifying too...! Not that I'd logged any "twin time!"

markben
21st Jun 2006, 02:29
I too didnt go solo till aged 27!

I've been an multi engine instructor, a charter pilot in outback oz, a training captain in PNG, now an FO for a LCC in Oz aged 35.

I too was told I was too old when signing on the dotted for CPL training.......... DONT GIVE UP! :ok:

OhSpareMe
21st Jun 2006, 03:21
I remember standing outside a flying school at Bankstown in late 1991, keen, enthusiastic and ready for a career change at age 29. Whilst shooting the breeze with a older gentlemen I informed him of my new plans, only to be told that "there are too many pilots in Australia looking for a job." His attitude, to say the least was negative.

So I went and did it anyway. Gained a CPL, MECIR and Instructor rating all at once. Managed to score a job instructing before graduating to twin engine charter, on the way accumulating some 3000+ hours in over 7 years. I was then accepted into QANTAS at age 37, and where I remain today.

Moral to the story? Go for it.

Transition Layer
21st Jun 2006, 04:05
Can't say there is a hard and fast rule re: age vs experience at QF.

On my course there were dudes with 4000+hours in their early thirties (ex-RAAF and regionals), but also a couple with only 2000hrs and 33 yo. Three of us were around 23/24 with 1500-1700hrs and the average age of the course was 29.

So I guess I'm trying to say don't give up!

The Bunglerat
21st Jun 2006, 04:33
Some encouraging stories - all good to hear, and a pleasant change from the usual bitch-&-moan rants that appear on this forum. I can also add the following:

Just recently offered a gig with a major airline at the age of 38. Background: 11 years in GA, pretty much all of it instructional (only a bare thread of charter time), >3000hrs total with 1000hrs multi, and no turbine endorsement(s). Whilst I would have loved to experience some outback/top end flying, I decided early on that it would have been quite selfish to place such hardships on a wife and young kids. If I was single, it would have been a no-brainer. However, a lot of mates leapfrogged me in their career development because of not having such family commitments, which occasionally became hard to cope with seeing them enjoying their success (albeit much deserved) whilst I was still lagging behind - however it would seem that I too am proof that good things come to those who wait - and persist.

Nevertheless, in keeping with my earlier post, I'm mindful of the fact that I'm competing with guys who have a good 10-year head start on me. As such, with the lengthy waiting periods my new employer is quoting from entry to first command, I'm wondering what are my chances of ever making it to the left seat. Even so, I think I'd rather retire in the right seat of an airliner than the left seat of a clapped-out GA bugsmasher.

Still interested in the perspective of other "oldies" like me who were late starters in getting onboard with the majors...

Aussie_Pilot
21st Jun 2006, 07:01
I remember standing outside a flying school at Bankstown in late 1991, keen, enthusiastic and ready for a career change at age 29. Whilst shooting the breeze with a older gentlemen I informed him of my new plans, only to be told that "there are too many pilots in Australia looking for a job." His attitude, to say the least was negative.

So I went and did it anyway. Gained a CPL, MECIR and Instructor rating all at once. Managed to score a job instructing before graduating to twin engine charter, on the way accumulating some 3000+ hours in over 7 years. I was then accepted into QANTAS at age 37, and where I remain today.

Moral to the story? Go for it.

I always loved Qantas altough i know where is my place when i was a little kid and lived close to Roma Airport ( ItalY) every single wedsnady moring i waited for the big airplane with the kanagaroo ( as i rember the 747 flow trough Rome and Melborune)... i will be so glad if i could one day join QF

I'm currently 23 ( 24 next month) about 50 hours experience with holidays i'm expect to have an ATPL theory passed and about 250-300 hrs experience in late 2008 ( 26 yo) if i get a general aviation job could hallow me to fly 900 hours per year i will have around 2000 hours when i will be 28 years old ....

Will I be on time to get the job? THANKS...

Hugh Jarse
21st Jun 2006, 07:27
Bunglerat,

Your situation regarding the family commitments almost mirrored mine (and a lot of my work colleagues), so there are quite a few of us out there.

I first started out at 21, but didn't complete my CPL until age 28 (and 500hrs TT, because I did my CIR about 4 years earlier and did some corporate flying on my PPL in the interim).

I was fortunate enough to get the job I always wanted (believe it or not), at age 34 and have been there for 12 years. (is that a giveaway or what?)

I've had the good fortune to meet a lot of pilots from many backgrounds over the years, but one thing that impresses me is the stories of the challenges they've faced along the way, and how they got to where they are today - not age/experience......I get bored easily and that's a boring/clinical topic.:}

transonic dragon
22nd Jun 2006, 05:11
I've had the good fortune to meet a lot of pilots from many backgrounds over the years, but one thing that impresses me is the stories of the challenges they've faced along the way, and how they got to where they are today - not age/experience......I get bored easily and that's a boring/clinical topic.:}

Couldn't agree more, HJ. It's one of the great pleasures of aviation meeting people from varied backgrounds. I'm an ex-medical professional guy, working alongside ex-tradesmen, ex-factory workers, ex-tuna fishermen, ex-artists, all giving it up for a love of aviation. I much prefer listening to these peoples' background stories, than endless bitching/war stories about "flying the line".

There's a lot not to love about this industry, and forums like this sometimes bring out the negativity. But the people you meet, the places you see, and the privelege it is to fly, despite all the hassle, is what we should always remember brought us to where we are. Funny how it takes all sorts, eh?