PDA

View Full Version : Columbia Drug Busting

Jetstream_lover
17th Jun 2006, 20:46
Does anyone have any info on the Ag Work in Columbia? What are the T & C's there like as it must be quite a risky job? Who do you actually work for? Reason i ask is i here that there are alot of Aussie's and south africans out there, but have never heard anything about the work there!
Just interested thats all
Cheers

B200Drvr
18th Jun 2006, 06:55
There are no Aussies and only one South African. You would require as a minimum an FAA Comm/ IR. 1000 hours of AG time, turbine time, good IF skills and fluent in Spanish. Money is good, training is good, rotation is 15 & 13. However, there is a VERY small turnover of pilots so getting in is very difficult.

Brizzo
18th Jun 2006, 07:25
My son is a journalist in Colombia, and has emailed me about these spray pilots. He said that they fly very low indeed, and that most of the aircraft that he saw had a number of patched bullet holes, since the people whose crops are being sprayed are less than grateful.

maxspeed
18th Jun 2006, 20:36
Pursued this a couple of years ago, and the money was CRAP given the tasking.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/maxspeed01/EASTDRUGSPRAYINGADVERT.jpg

youngskywalker
19th Jun 2006, 10:11
Is this not part of the CIA organisation previously known as 'Air America'?!

currawong
19th Jun 2006, 11:30
J L, do a search here on "DYNCORP"

Good Luck:ok:

Coloco
20th Jun 2006, 00:57
There is 1 Aussie I know of... and another S African, most are North Americans and Colombians.

It is a challenging job, but true there are not many openings. Pay is OK for expats, but it all depends on how you value things. I for one thought it was a useless war...not having the effect some claim it does...Aeroplanes get hit all the time, so do helos. Quite a few have lost lives, it is a battle after all.

Colombia is a great place despite all that goes on, and lifestyle can be good if you are up to the challenge!

Its not the CIA, just private enterprise doing what the US dept of state wants...

B200Drvr
20th Jun 2006, 14:37
Money is good, and only one pilot killed by hostile fire in more than 6 years. They really do look after their guys well.

Coloco
21st Jun 2006, 01:53
B200, I think you might be talking about US pilots only, because more than one have lost their lives...mostly Colombians, either hostile fire or crash after hostile fire, or just plain accident due to the danger involved...am I wrong?