PDA

View Full Version : Custom molded earplugs?

Gnirren
16th Jun 2006, 17:33
I've come across pilots who use them, and it seems like a good deal if you can rid yourself of background noise and still communicate properly with the other pilot as well as ATC. Have any of you guys had experience with these, do they work?
I suppose you could even use them under a normal anr headset for dual action but that might be overkill. I'm currently considering either molded plugs under the normal headset or picking up a sennheiser anr headset instead. Any thoughts? Molded plugs seem to go for around 150£ or so which is a lot less than the HMEC25-KA headset I was looking at.

Caractacus
21st Jun 2006, 06:26
I had some made about six years ago. My wife has a snoring problem - don't laugh - which had the potential to ruin my rest. The plugs were adjusted to let in high frequency sound but exclude low frequencies. This meant I could here the telephone should crewing call me on early standby and wake when my alarm went off. They work a treat. Even better, we now have two young kids and I don't get woken by baby's crying in the night. Previously I had a few ear infections from re using foam plugs.

I'm not flying just now but recall a colleague who used the plugs under a headset for the reasons you describe.