PDA

View Full Version : is age 33 to old in Europe??????

vela3
4th May 2001, 10:26
I'm a pilot in the usa... but I'm at a loss for giving advice to a German friend of mine... He is 33 and has his ppl... He would like to fly but before making any large investment he would like some idea of the hiring practices in Europe... I would have no problem for telling him he would find a job in the states.. but as for how things are in Europe... I have no idea.. if he does continue .... study in england?? or where is the best bet.. ie is the caa license still the one to have.. or with the new jar is it all the same for him... Thanks in advance for any response and help...
Scott

Iz
4th May 2001, 10:34
If he has a work permit for the US, it might be feasible, but chances are slim at 33, if your goal is to work for a major airline.

The programs that place you on an airline jet in a short amount of time are only for people usually younger than 26, so he'd have to do it all himself. So add at least another year and then he's 24 years old with very low flight time.

Airlines that do take low-timers, usually want them in their early 20s, and there's a large group of 30-year olds with thousands of hours in their logbooks already.

So if he can use the States as a back-up, it might be a worthwile decision, if not, it would require some deep thinking.

Anybody else with some valuable insight?

Genghis McCann
4th May 2001, 13:13
I must disagree with the above post. 33 is no problems at all. I got my first commercial job at 36 and I am now a training captain with a small regional. I am just about to do line training with a guy who is getting his first commercial job and he is 43! I know of several similar stories.

Regarding being taken on by the big boys, it does not seem to be an issue at the moment. There is increasing recognition that many people now come into aviation later in life due to financial constraints and so on. The fact is that on a seniority list you will not make the very top but you can still have a fantastic career ahead of you. I spoke to someone last week who has just got a job with British Midland on the Airbus at 48! He is a First Officer from a regional with 2000 hours total which is way less than someone of his age should have.

Both myself and others like me are starting to get interviews from large jet operators so all is far from lost.

Hope that gives you some idea. As we all know getting that first job is always a bit tricky but once you are there then the world is your oyster etc etc..

Artus
4th May 2001, 13:52
33 if fine. One of my friend starts his training at age 39. Air France limits for hiring is nowdays 42. Changes with the economical situation off course, But the main thing is, If you really want it, you'll get it.
I started my training after being o fully qualified MD, and with a bit of luck (as always) I'm now flying for one of the three leading European airlines.
Good luck and all my support.

hailstone
4th May 2001, 14:20
wow - i'll be old next month...

Iz
4th May 2001, 15:27
Guess I was wrong :) Artus, good luck with getting on with that major airline, sounds good.

The really tricky part is getting that first job. After that (just like Genghis McCann said), doors will open for you if you have experience. I'm glad to hear about the success stories here from these guys who made it but I know a few who have huge debts and no flying job (and seriously depressed).

It is definitely possible, but risky.