PDA

View Full Version : WARNING, Latest M$ patches may break dial up access

Irish Steve
16th Jun 2006, 12:17
"We received couple of calls that users are not able to dial up after applying MS06-025 (KB911280).

I verified this on a test machine and it looks like it breaks dial up.

We have some scripts that need to be run in order to authenticate the user properly after the dial up connection is established.

It looks like the patch prevents scripts from running at all. Even when I turned on the terminal window (in interactive logon and scripting) I can't log in manually at all. After the connection is established I can see the Username prompt in the terminal window but I can't enter any data.

Uninstalling the patch fixes this."
Above message is on a support site that monitors hacking activity and patch related issues.

M$ have done it again, the latest patch cycle has the potential to break your machine and if you're on dial up, you won't be able to get back in to find out how to fix it.:ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

That said, the patches this month are close on 20Mbyte, so getting them on dial up is not going to be a short exercise. Oh for the days when the entire OS was 3 floppy discs and could be relied to work for months without hassles!!!!!

You have been warned :E

Gertrude the Wombat
16th Jun 2006, 20:01
Oh for the days when ...

... you left your front door open all day when you went to work in case the neighbour needed to borrow a cup of sugar.

It just ain't like that any more.

The Nr Fairy
16th Jun 2006, 21:15
Irish Steve:

What site's that ?

Bern Oulli
16th Jun 2006, 21:49
IrishSteve, I have exactly what you are wishing for sat right in front of me. MS-DOS 6.22 on 3 floppy disks. PLUS Windows for Workgroups (8 disks inc enhanced tools) PLUS the manuals, all never used and still shrink wrapped. Just send money and your wish is granted.

Irish Steve
17th Jun 2006, 09:54
site is www.isc.sans.org (http://www.isc.sans.org), Internet security centre, they post warnings abount all sorts of "nasties" that are doing the rounds.

Bern Oulli, I still have my copies of 6.22, and pretty much everything else that's followed it, and there are times when they come out for use in solving obscure hardware issues that can't be dealt with in later versions.

I just wish we could get a "cut down" version of Windoze that only does the basics, and not all the other garbage that Bill insists are good for our health. I do a lot of flight simulation related work, and the last thing I need is a visual system that's suddenly gone slow because Bill decides that the disc "MUST" be re indexed at that moment. or some such similar nonsense like trying to connect to the internet to check for this month's batch of patches, all of which have nothing to do with my application that I want to run at maximum speed to get the frame rate!!!

BLUE SKY THINKER
17th Jun 2006, 11:05
Irish Steve.....

Well those last two are "turn offable" for a start (the latter obviously requiring a manual check on the requisite second Tuesday of every month).

Conan the Librarian
17th Jun 2006, 23:59
Having 6.22 is rather like having an Austin Healey or a TR6 these days... Keep it polished...

Conan

Many are the days I would wish to run DOS, but I do fear that once back there that the charm would last for nanoseconds (dumped the 3/486s many moons ago, but wish I hadn't.)

Conan

Saab Dastard
18th Jun 2006, 18:14
I just wish we could get a "cut down" version of Windoze that only does the basics

Irish Steve, there was a good series of articles in PC World, or Personal Computer World about doing just that with nLite - sorry I haven't got more details, but I'm sure if you google around "cut-down windows xp" you could find some good information.

SD

IO540
19th Jun 2006, 07:52
Normally I find M$ patches don't cause problems but the last one, Saturday/Sunday, disabled the ethernet port on a PC we have at home. It had to be powered down and up, so not too bad.

I disable auto updates on anything that's mission critical, or anything that uses GPRS to dial out ;)

terryJones
21st Jun 2006, 13:59
Irish Steve
Try here
http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=51202853