PDA

View Full Version : I type this from my new MacBook - finally!

scruggs
16th Jun 2006, 11:58
Well - its finally arrived :}

My new MacBook! It's fantastic - even though I don't really know what I'm doing yet. As I've said in a previous post, this is my first mac, so hopefully all will go well with OS X.

But.....so far so good!

By searching through this forum, I see others have sought advice with regard to how to use the mac operating system - and that there are mac users out there willing to share the experience. Now that will come in VERY handy indeed!

So, here I go into the wonderful world of OS X. Hopefully it will prove better than Windows XP!

Cheers,
eP.

Capt Chambo
16th Jun 2006, 22:01
Congratulations and welcome to the dark side! I too have upgraded to a MacBook having run a G3 iBook for the last 4 years. Once you've had Mac you'll never go back!
As you have already spotted there is loads of really useful advice and tips and tricks here on PPRuNe as to how to get the most from your Mac.
CC

soggyboxers
17th Jun 2006, 13:02
eP and Capt Chambo,
Just checked with TNT and my new MacBook is due to be delivered on Monday :D . I too have never used the Mac OS before, so if you have any tips as to how it's been going for you, I'd love to hear from you, either here or by pm. I'm also interested as to whether you've had to buy any other software - does Office XP work on Mac? Have you got the Core Duo chip and if so are you running both Windows and Mac? Have you tried downloading and using Parallel' so you can run both systems simultaneously? Any info gratefully received.
soggy

Mac the Knife
17th Jun 2006, 13:14
- does Office XP work on Mac? soggy

Don't pollute your nice Mac with Microsoft stuff - Use OpenOffice for the Mac - http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/ooo-osx_downloads.html

:ok:

Oh, you'll need to read this - http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/Howto_OOo_2.0_MacOSX_english.pdf

AppleMacster
21st Jun 2006, 05:58
Welcome to the world of Mac!

For openOffice, you could try this Mac porting of it:
Neooffice (http://neooffice.org)

If you want it now, you'll have to stump up $10 for the Intel version. It will be free from July 1st. It's a lot easier to deal with than the other port of openOffice, much more "Apple".

Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac will work fine on your MacBook. Don't forget that if you don't need a spreadsheet, iWork, including Pages and Keynote will read and write Word and Powerpoint files. You get the added bonus that they are easier to use and have some more powerful features (epecially Keynote).

Capt Chambo
21st Jun 2006, 06:51
Again congratulations.
Regarding MS software I am afraid that I have to own up to buying the most basic MS Office, I needed it so my children could do their homework. In my defence though I have just recently bought iWork '06 but haven't yet had a chance to play with "Pages2" or "Keynote". My MacBook does have the dual core intel "chip" but have yet to go through the process of partitoning the hard drive and installing "bootcamp" and MS XP SP2. I actually only have one programme that I really need that will only run in MS.
Otherwise I tend to stick to Apple proprietry software, so I use Safari for my browser although others rave about Firefox, I also use the basic Mail programme, but I know others swear by other programmes.
The only other software I add is VLC to play DVDs. Although a bit "clunky" this programme will solve the problem you may have after you have changed region on your DVD player too many times. I also install Windows Media Player to play those ineviatable .wmv files that people send out. To stream the BBC you will need Real Player which is easiest to get from their website, rather than following the BBCs links.
Additionally for the kids I have MSN messenger for Macs, and of course no computer would be complete without Skype for those free calls!
Regarding tips and tricks, I tend to buy Mac mags when I travel and look through them. This site is also a good source there are a number of very qualified contributers. The Mac website>support>discussions can often help, failing that just call your local Mac support number. Here is a little trick I learnt, if you have to make three calls on one problem you will be transferred to a level 2 technician, with no disrespect intended to some level 1 technicians, but level 2 technicians are generally fluent English speakers and will solve your problem. I discovered this after a level 1 technician had me do things that caused me endless subsequent problems and then took forever to undo!
Other things that will make your life easier; learn the keyboard shortcuts! All those Apple+function that appear next to the command from the drop down menu (like Apple+P=print, Apple+C=copy etc).
I also like to customise my Mac(s). Most applications can be personalised by clicking on the application header in the toolbar>preferences and then take it from there. For example you are probably reading this in Safari so try Safari>block pop up windows (Apple+K), try Safari>preferences> and from the menu>tabs>enable tabbed browsing.
One I would recommend you check urgently is your Firewall. You find this from System Preferences (Probably an icon in your dock)>Sharing>Firewall, and make sure that Firewall is ON.
Personally I have no anti-virus software and I have never read anything good about Norton. I did have it installed on my first Mac and it then caused me problems without ever doing anything useful! I feel similarly about AOL by the way.
If your finances stretch to it I find a .Mac account a good thing but at $100 pa it is a little pricey.
I am sure if you ask specific questions you will find people more than willing to help, but that should be enough to be going on with.

AppleMacster
21st Jun 2006, 07:10
Capt. Chambo:

If there's only one application you need to run under Windows, you might be better off getting the Parallels emulator –*unless it's a graphics-intense application, it should work well enough without too much loss of performance. With an emulator, you don't need to reboot back into OS X.

Microsoft haven't supported Messenger on the Mac for ages, but you can get audio and video capability on MSN by downloading aMSN (http://amsn.sourceforge.net/download.php) for free.

I've been using Macs for 19 years and never had a virus, worm or any other nasties. I regularly receive DOS attacks on my internet connection, which continues to work with my Macs unpeturbed. You can turn on the software firewall, but (at the moment), it's not really necessary, especially if you're behind a hardware firewall (usually built into your router or modem).

I agree – dotmac accounts are great! Logbooks all backed up!

Capt Chambo
22nd Jun 2006, 07:16
AppleMacster I bow to your many years experience. I am a mere beginner by comparison!
I agree MSN Messenger for Macs obviously hasn't been supported by MS for years, I tend to use one from Mactopia which keeps the little Chambos happy enough. No matter how much I try I can't seem to get them to just use Skype or iChat, no they would much rather tap away!
I agree that turning on the firewall is perhaps strictly speaking unnecessay if you have a good router. I recall though that some were better than others, and of course if you have the misfortune to be using a USB modem then the inbuilt firewall is probably your only line of defence. It's a belts and braces thing for me, router and firewall, although the firewall will need to be turned off if you want to share files wirelessly.
I will go and have a look at this Parellels emulator, and see if it will do the trick.
By the way is just me or does Google Earth run a whole lot better on an the dual core chips as opposed to my iMacs G4?

Warren Rabbit
22nd Jun 2006, 09:50
While on general Mac problems, when I try to sign into MSN Messenger it tells me I must download a new version. Doing this leaves me with an icon on the desktop for Messenger which when clicked asks me what application I want to open the program, and Microsoft Messenger is greyed out of the list of alternatives. It's giving me the irrits. Where do programs get downloaded to on a Mac (Macbook) as a default?

Capt Chambo
22nd Jun 2006, 11:45
To check where downloads go do this:- Safari>Preferences>General and about half way down the open window it will show you the default place for downloads. (I think it is desktop but I create a file in my home folder and thats where I download mine to).

Regrading MSN Messenger, I installed mine from Mactopia which explains what to do. IIRC you drag the icon into applications, (It could be onto your HD I really can't remember) and then you open it from your applications folder. Once it has been opened you can get get rid of the .dmg image which is probably sitting on your desktop.

I hope thats right. (It's late here and I'm knackered!)

CC

soggyboxers
22nd Jun 2006, 12:18
Well the new MacBook finally turned up 2 days ago, and it's on its way back to Apple shortly :mad: . I spent a lot of the first day learning how to use it and transferring files etc., - all the usual stuff one has to suffer on getting a new machine. Next day when I turned the machine on the 'num lock' key was illuminated and couldn't be turned off except if the 'caps lock' key was on. It would only type in that configuration and then it wasn't possible to know if the letters were in upper or lower case (the little light in the 'caps lock' key also didn't work). I spent about an hour on the phone with Apple technical support by the end of which I was told that the machine has a hardware problem and I was given the numbers of 2 local repair stations (one over 40 miles away). After a fruitless 2 hours trying to call them and getting only answerphones, got back on to Apple and said I wanted a replacement machine. By now my new computer's trackpad was also not working properly as it failed to be able to right click so I couldn't download files attached to e-mails. I've just been given the delivery date for my replacement machine - in 2 weeks, the day after I return to Nigeria for 5 months. I am not impressed with either the quality of the product from Apple, nor its service and will not be buying again. It's no good having good software if it's on a cr*p product :eek: . Next time I'll go for Dell I think.:*

Capt Chambo
23rd Jun 2006, 04:45
Obviously sorry to hear about your experience. If it's any consolation I have found Apples back up to be very good indeed and when I have had cause to return a machine it has come back within days (when I have been quoted a fortnight). I have had to return my iBook for a new video logic card it was collected from my hotel and returned to my home address within 10 days (it was over the Easter weekend) all free. I had the same problem about a year later and it was fixed free by the local Apple agent overnight. I bought my sister an iPod shuffle which misbehaved and she was sent a new one by return of post again free. I know of others with similarly speedy service.
I have been on the Apple discussion foum to see if your problem is commonplace but haven't had enough time to go through all the posts, but if there is a problem Apple are good at holding there hand up and fixing things no matter what the warranty may say.
Re-reading this I sound like I might work for Apple but I can assure you I don't!

soggyboxers
26th Jun 2006, 18:17
Capt Chambo,
You´re absolutely right. When I eventually managed to speak to someone in Apple After Sales, he promised to put an expedite order on my new laptop, followed this up and according to TNT it arrived in Arnhem today and is due for delivery in 3 days, before the new expedited date I was promised. The Apple people very friendly and helpful. I just hope the new computer works properly because it has all the features I want and I´ve heard a lot of good things about the Mac OS