PDA

View Full Version : Metro Pan cal

megle2
16th Jun 2006, 10:24
What was the story on the Metro ( -xpress ) that declared a Pan and diverted to Maroochydore and required emergency services yesterday?

unsure
17th Jun 2006, 07:04
I read yesterday's sunshine coast paper with headlines regarding this issue. Something to do with smoke in the cabin.
I guess where there is smoke there is fire... crew did a good job by the sounds of it.

Aussie
17th Jun 2006, 08:43
If ya cant handle the heat, get outta the kitchen!!! :eek: :}

Aussie

Going Nowhere
17th Jun 2006, 12:48
Smoke/Fumes sounds more like it :ooh:

bushy
17th Jun 2006, 14:43
The co-pilot farted.

Baron Captain ?
18th Jun 2006, 01:21
Well if its any of the ole boys I used to fly there with, its definitely a possibility that they had a Farting competition!!..
We use to go out of our way to eat Baked Beans for dinner before going to work to see who get the other person on oxygen quicker!!!!!..

Ha Ha HA...Oh those were the good ole days!!!:ok: :ok: :ok:

Continental-520
18th Jun 2006, 02:59
If it was a sport, I know someone who would be an OLYMPIAN!

I don't fly with him much anymore though...thankfully.

Repulsive habit, especially in a confined environment such as an aircraft.

520.:eek:

planemad_bk
18th Jun 2006, 09:40
If it was a sport, I know someone who would be an OLYMPIAN!
I don't fly with him much anymore though...thankfully.
Repulsive habit, especially in a confined environment such as an aircraft.
520.:eek:

do we know each other? :}

SkySista
18th Jun 2006, 14:01
Repulsive habit, especially in a confined environment such as an aircraft

Moreso in an a/c without a cockpit door!! Those poor pax!! :yuk: :\ :E

Led Zep
18th Jun 2006, 14:03
Moreso in an a/c without a cockpit door!! Those poor pax!! :yuk: :\ :E
Should said metro have a toilet I'm sure the pax could get more than their own back. :E

SkySista
18th Jun 2006, 14:12
Zep, given some of the pax and destinations that seem to be flown regularly on Metros, that wouldn't surprise me in the least!!! :} :ooh: :E

DutyofCare
19th Jun 2006, 01:22
Hey, does anyone know which aircraft was involved?

AN CSO
19th Jun 2006, 09:18
It would seem the only ones to use the word “terror” were the newspaper. I see they also refer to a passenger jet.
Sounds like the crew did the correct thing and good to see a small airline looking after it’s passengers. :ok:

“TERROR AT 15,000 FEET”

Smoke fills passenger jet, forces emergency landing

FEARS of fire in the aircraft’s cockpit forced a commercial flight with seven people on board to make an emergency landing at Sunshine Coast Airport late yesterday afternoon.

The Sunshine Express aircraft flying from Hervey Bay to Brisbane landed on the Marcoola runway about 5pm after pilots noticed smoke in the cockpit.

As fire crews rushed to the scene, an ambulance raced to a passenger who had collapsed on a nearby Jetstar plane which had just arrived from Sydney.

The man was treated by paramedics and taken to Nambour General Hospital after the unrelated collapse.

On page 2.

“Police praise pilots’ landing after fire scare”

Police and airline spokesmen said the Sunshine Express pilots made a sensible decision and a safe landing which did not put its passengers in any danger.

Police Inspector Tony Lewis said no fire was detected when the plane landed.

“As a precaution the pilot lowered his altitude, depressurised the cabin and made a precautionary landing here,” he said.

“There was no fire. One passenger who has a cold has an earache from the depressurisation.”

The airport’s fire response crew and Maroochydore brigades were ready and waiting on the tarmac as the 19-seat Metroliner came to a stop.

“It all went by the book;” Inspector Lewis said.

Sunshine Express CEO Phil Laffer said the pilots were interviewed by safety officers last night while engineers attempt to locate a cause.

“I can’t comment about the landing but the flight crew did an exceptional job in diverting to Maroochydore as a precaution,” he said.

“I cannot say whether it was an engine or mechanical fault.”

The seven passengers appeared calm despite their ordeal.

They spent a short time in a holding lounge at the airport before being transferred to Brisbane via stretch limousine.

“There was mainly a bit of smell and I didn’t see much smoke,” passenger Des Wragg said.

“The pilots were professional and competent and they got us down okay.

“They did a good job and they looked after very well and I didn’t feel in any danger at all.

“But instead of getting hone tonight, I’ll get home tomorrow”

Gary Hunt was just as pragmatic but he was surprised to see the long white limo waiting for him.

“I’ll have to see whether there’s any champagne in there,” he said.

“Everyone did their best in the circumstances.”

Mr Laffer said the airline’s operations staff quickly organised alternative transport for the passengers.

“We like to look after our passengers and as soon as we knew the flight was diverted, the next step was to take every measure possible to ensure they got to their destination safely,” he said.

“(Precautionary landings) are a normal thing for airlines to do and the flight crew did a good job in making the decision at Maroochydore, particularly as it has the facilities to deal with that type of incident.”

DutyofCare
19th Jun 2006, 11:24
I've heard that the aircraft involved woz the very same aircraft "Fu:mad: trot", the one that almost killed the 15 odd pax and landed at BUD with no fuel left on board that night! I've recently read in the last edition of Flight Saftey Magazine that " THAT " particular aircraft had a very big wiring issue. Can any of you remember the TWA 74 accident then? How long will CASA allow " A LEMON " such as fu:mad: trot to continue to fly fare paying pax around the sky for in OZ - NOT A THIRD WORLD COUNTRY YET - ? I'm betting the Chief Gingerbeer is ripping ( what little his or hers has left ) hair out over this debarkle yet again! Sounds like the crew did the proper job in this incident and tried to save the cos face yet AGAIN! I'm glad that I'm not paying top $ to fly in " THAT " bucket of SH:mad: T!

Sue Ridgepipe
20th Jun 2006, 07:16
“The pilots were professional and competent and they got us down okay.
They did a good job and they looked after very well and I didn’t feel in any danger at all.”

What the hell is going on here??? Sack this journo straight away!!
Surely if he tried harder he would have been able to find at least one pax who thought the plane would crash and they would all die???:E

megle2
20th Jun 2006, 08:45
OK, that seems to answer the question.

I wonder if it were one of their " new " Metro's as they are referred to on the advertising posters. Misleading mentioning " new " for old second / third hand Metro's!!!!!!!!!!!

DutyofCare
21st Jun 2006, 05:21
JETA OK, I agree with the last part of your post but I disagree with the first part of your quotation. I've downloaded that particular incident from the ATSB and it's quotes that " THAT " a/c had landed with 30 odd litres " TOTAL " remaining and that the fuel gauges showed sufficient fuel left on the ground to get to BNE! This could be incorrect and if the ATSB have got it wrong in this case please don't take it the wrong way, however HOW COULD AN RPT A/C WITH 15 ODD PAX RUN OUT OF FUEL IF ALL CHECKS AND BALANCES HAVE BEEN PUT IN PLACE? :confused: From my view point there's something wrong with " THAT " a/c and somebody who maintains it and does the paperwork could be ducking for cover. It seems all to easy to blame the crew, however from my conversations with the Metro crews the reputation and reliablity of these beasts is QUESTIONABLE AT BEST in comparison with similar types operating. I've no doubt that Metros could still be operated safely - look at that excellent operation in WA -, however that is if proper maintenence is supporting that operation. I'm glad that I'm not the sucker paying the maintenence bills, filling in all that paperwork and talking to angry pax in that case AGAIN! :ugh:

JetA_OK
21st Jun 2006, 07:38
HOW COULD AN RPT A/C WITH 15 ODD PAX RUN OUT OF FUEL IF ALL CHECKS AND BALANCES HAVE BEEN PUT IN PLACE?

I think your answer lies in that sentence.

touchncloth
21st Jun 2006, 12:51
I believe part of the problem is now someone elses problem;)

Defenestrator
21st Jun 2006, 23:46
One wonders if it would have had the same outcome if someone, anyone, had bothered to drop the mags on the day the tanks filled with air. :confused: