PDA

View Full Version : Thalassemia Minor

FirstOfficer737
16th Jun 2006, 04:45
Dear Veterans,

I would like to share and ask something about my health condition for Class I Medical C.

I have thalassemia minor. My doctor told me that normal values are should be between 13-18. My value is 12.2 right now. My doctor also said me we can increase this value.

I am worry about that. Can I get that Class I Medical C. for my Frozen ATPL training with this value and thalassemia minor condition? I know, the certain result will say by the aviation examiner.

If you have any experience about that or you know something about that can you share your knowledge?

Thank you

2close
22nd Jun 2006, 14:56
FO737,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but sickle cell anaemia (of which I understand Thallasemia Minor is a variation) is barred under JAR FCL 3.180 (Haemotology).

But (a) this is only from a JAA viewpoint and it may very well be different elsewhere and (b) you may qualify for a deviation if the condition is under control with medication.

Also, the only people who can give you a firm answer are the regulators themselves.

Write to the Aviation Authority you are thinking of applying to, explain your history, current medication and situation and prognosis and ask them whether you would qualify for a Class 1 Medical Certificate. They make the decisions.

HTH

2close

obgraham
22nd Jun 2006, 19:20
Although both Thalassemia and Sickle Cell are conditions involving abnormal hemoglobin, they are not the same at all. The health implications are different, and in each case the condition is different if a person carries one gene versus two for the abnormal hemoglobin.

I agree that questions regarding pilot certification can only be answered by the appropriate regulator, though it's likely an AME can answer.

FirstOfficer737
26th Jun 2006, 09:16
Dear Veterans,

thank you for your interest and your reply. I will check it.

Best Regards