PDA

View Full Version : Compensation for cancelled flight

ron77
15th Jun 2006, 10:15
I'm a bit of a novice to all this, but on the evening of May 26 2006, my 747 BA flight (0026) from HK to LHR, suffered an engine failure mid-way through take off. It was aborted, and we returned to the terminal. I asked to deplane as I was fairly certain the flight would be cancelled (it later was) as I doubted an engine could be quickly patched up and the flight resumed. Also, I didn't feel exactly comfortable. On a much earlier flight in my career (United 747 SFO-EWR) we had a delayed departure at SFO due to an engine mechanical. When we did take off (after three hours) there were only about 80 passengers left (most had opted for other flights). Somewhere near Chicago, the engine failed. I noticed an unexpectedly sudden "tilt" to the aircraft, then a resumption of normal flight. I thought about it, but not much, because due to our delay, United had opened the bar and we were all enjoying ourselves. We landed at Newark with crash trucks lining the runway, and we were all a bit more sober. I later understood that the crew had considered diverting to Chicago, but opted instead to continue to Newark. I believe those same rules still apply in the domestic US, as long as you are within a certain distance of an airport (please correct me).

FYI: I'm still waiting for BA to compensate me for my overnight hotel in HK.

Rainboe
15th Jun 2006, 13:04
So you offloaded yourself.....and then expect BA to pay for your hotel, that you voluntarily went to, because of a temporary disruption in the program. I see. I think your wait might be rather long. Had you remained with the other passengers, you would either have been continuing. rebooked elsewhere or put up in hotels. By removing yourself, you took responsibility for yourself.

Globaliser
15th Jun 2006, 19:21
... I was fairly certain the flight would be cancelled (it later was) ...BA would have looked after you if you had stayed with the aircraft until the flight was cancelled. Why didn't you wait? You might have got home the same night after all - there would have been four more flights to LHR that night, and two more in the morning, so there might have been space to accommodate some pax off your flight - or you would have been found a hotel at BA's expense.

If you choose to go off and make your own arrangements, entirely outside BA's control, you can't then reasonably expect BA simply to reimburse you.

Final 3 Greens
16th Jun 2006, 08:36
ron77

I don't think that BA will compensate you, as you didnt give them the opportunity to propose an alternative.

However, do you have travel insurance?

That should cover the results of a cancelled flight and it is quite reasonable for you to say that you did not feel fit to fly that same evening due to being unsettled by the event, needing to take some time to settle down - you did, after all fly the next day and it was probably a very good personal decision to give yourself that time to gain equilibrium.