PDA

View Full Version : Namibia

SUKUMA
15th Jun 2006, 00:28
Just as a point of curiosity, does anybody know about the work situation in Namibia? conversion, work permit, salary etc….

S

whiskeyflyer
15th Jun 2006, 10:57
best you read about the current porblems in Namibia between their DCA and certain operators. Aircraft being ground and AOC being pulled

Click on http://allafrica.com/stories/200606120811.html

George Tower
15th Jun 2006, 14:51
Interesting article if true.........

Interesting that Comav have just changed ownership and rumoured to have ambitious plans.

"Aircraft kill people. My responsibility is to look after passengers," said Makanza.

"This has to do with the nation. It's so dangerous (flying the Comav aircraft) that I don't even want to think about it."

Comav is alleged to be flying aircraft larger than permitted between Eros and Johannesburg for transporting cargo, while at the same time also transporting passengers on these flights without the necessary precautions in place to secure cargo and ensure passenger safety.

It seems the individual making these statements is in a state of confusion and shock probably only just having discovered the wheel has a wide variety of uses.

This one surely must be easy to prove/disprove.....anyone????????

SUKUMA
15th Jun 2006, 15:02
Well.... nothing new there ,what about local operators?

SUKUMA
17th Jun 2006, 01:03
This help, thanks a bunch.:ok:

Voel
19th Jun 2006, 15:54
Rumours have it that they were flying a ZS acft without being granted the necessary TBO and that one V5 acft was given extension, yet they have exceeded that one as well. I guess I will not fly those ones.

makeapullup
19th Jun 2006, 16:24
:ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh:
Maybe i'm wrong but this looks to me like some government official who used to receive a special allowance from COMAV when it was under the previous ownership is upset that his allowance has been stopped.

Typical problem in Africa, maybe i'm just negative but this is why people leave this horrible place. ( Having said that, if there is something wrong with the planes and people get paid off to turn a blind eye, then that in my view is no better)

k2climber
29th Jun 2006, 14:48
Hey s1659399, check your facts before posting info. A lot of what you write is hearsay and gossip. Eros is renowned for that.

Stierado
30th Jun 2006, 13:47
Ahhh...as ever, true to form, the marvel that is.... Larry Makanza...:mad:

k2climber
1st Jul 2006, 09:16
Hahahaha. I'm sure the Big Mac just loves submitting posts right? Just refering to the situation at Wings. I'd love to see the Citation and King Air arrive. Any bets they'll never come? Things aren't as rosy as they seem over there.

Dogship
4th Jul 2006, 10:54
I'll take up your bet!!
The C/A90 is not coming anymore...there is a Gll around (not based in Whk)but I doubt it's really theirs...maybe they are just chartering it?
Citation? I don't think so,they actually never owned turbines.As far as I know they leased most of their planes.
:{ :{ :{

k2climber
5th Jul 2006, 10:14
Wings is full of promises and dreams. Last I heard there was talk of operating Aleutians out of Rundu. Bloody ridiculous and it's never going to happen. Lets all jump on the band wagon.

Dogship
5th Jul 2006, 13:53
What are Aleutians? And why would anyone operate anything out of Rundu?
:confused:

k2descend
7th Jul 2006, 09:40
Hello Boys

Just a quick reminder that the aviation community is actually a very small one. So perhaps you should start growing up a bit, live in the REAL world.

Oh what the hell, shouldn't even waste my time one you guys.... doubt you can fly an aircraft or read for that matter......

makeapullup
7th Jul 2006, 09:50
Cool first post dude...
Ps guys here like to correct grammar and spelling!:} :} :}
even waste my time one you guys

s1659399
7th Jul 2006, 10:39
Sorry - deleted my reply seems to have upset a few too many people. Sokuma if you would like any futher info on license conversions etc send me a PM I would only be happy to help.
In the mean time I think I will just get my coat and leave......EROS is growing smaller by the day!!!

k2descend
7th Jul 2006, 10:51
"Maybe i'm wrong but this looks to me like some government official who used to receive a special allowance from COMAV when it was under the previous ownership is upset that his allowance has been stopped.

Typical problem in Africa, maybe i'm just negative but this is why people leave this horrible place. ( Having said that, if there is something wrong with the planes and people get paid off to turn a blind eye, then that in my view is no better)"

If it is so horrible get the hell out. Africa does not need negative people like yourself. Yes there are problems in Africa (like in most countries) but you still get to enjoy a good life style, sunshine and loads of freedom.

As for commenting about corrupt government officials - the world is a corrupt place. If you want to play with the big boys, put on your gear.

makeapullup
7th Jul 2006, 11:04
Wow, you the SA safety minister?
Way to agro, maybe you feeling a little guilty!!!

madherb
7th Jul 2006, 14:39
Aleutians are islands off the coast of Alaska. They are probably too big and heavy to operate out of any known airstrip, least of all Rundu. :=

Voel
7th Jul 2006, 14:46
Being in the system myself, I hardly believe that anybody from the DCA took a bribe, let allone the official mentioned above. I know of various operators who tried to buy some DCA officials, but to no avail. Even the odd bottle of wine was returned to the poor operator who just gave it as a sign of appreciation.

Stierado
9th Jul 2006, 07:39
Ha ha ha...get your handbags out ladies...he he:p

Pow-wow
9th Jul 2006, 15:05
Voel, are you for real ???!!!???

The "official" mentioned above doesnt bloody know his own air law most of the time...oh thats right we are still waiting for the Nam-CARS...to be printed...should'nt be long now...its only been 15 years...:ugh:

sybersakkie
9th Jul 2006, 21:07
I agree with Pow-Wow, the "official" mentioned above does not know his bloody air-law and what is worse is the fact that he changes "his" air-law from day to day as it suites him.

Comav will do us all a favour to take him out.:ugh:

Voel
10th Jul 2006, 07:28
Pow-pow, 're u living in the past or present? Do you hail from Wlotzka's Baken? NAMCARS are avbl since 2001, or do u have a different set of regulations?

Phenomenon
10th Jul 2006, 08:37
NAMCARS are avbl since 2001

and yet the people at the top still haven't even bothered taking a look at them :}

k2descend
10th Jul 2006, 09:14
Aviation in Namibia has come a long way since the days of Mr Todd. No one can fault Makanza for being pro active..... he is definitly more involved than Todd ever was!

Tom_Kitty
10th Jul 2006, 09:58
Oh Christ yes, anybody would be better than Mr. Todd.

However I think Mr. M is creating (or ignoring) more problems then he is solving.

Pow-wow
11th Jul 2006, 07:50
Voel...slip of the finger....ment Nam-CATS....

As for your question on living in the past or present...I was alive in the past and now live in the present...funny that?!?

And in both past and present Mr M has made it up as he goes along...or as suits him...ahh, the joys of being the head-honcho...:cool:

k2climber
14th Jul 2006, 10:51
The dumbest thing I heard from the mouth of Big Mac was his explanation on why foreign pilots can now only receive a validation on a foreign license as opposed to a full commercial. Out of the blue, the policy has changed, and although DCA hasn't put it on paper yet, it's now gospel and you're screwed. Who wants a validation anyway?
Namibia's a great place to fly but honestly the politics are no different that anywhere else.