PDA

View Full Version : window blinds

pilotho
14th Jun 2006, 12:34
been meaning to ask this but why do all the window blinds have to be open for take off?

Turroncin
14th Jun 2006, 12:46
Depends on the airline. Some don't ask you to.

speedbirdhouse
14th Jun 2006, 12:49
So that any non standard situation can be observed and if needed, acted upon.

crewboi83
15th Jun 2006, 10:54
Also in the event of an emergency the fire services can see inside the aircraft if they need to.

ezybus
15th Jun 2006, 12:05
It is so that if anything untoward happens during takeoff / landing, the pax can see it before the crew, they can alert the crew in order to take action. Remember that the crew only have small windows in the doors to look out of, so you are really the eyes and ears for us. The other posters remarks are also true.

Eddy
15th Jun 2006, 12:19
It's fairly standard that blinds on doors have to be open as this allows the crew to observe outside the aircraft. Passenger window blinds though aren't normally subject to such requirements.

I remember being told off once for lowering all blinds prior to passenger boarding (reson for doing so is long story). The Purser told me that it was a safety requirement to have all blinds UP and he/she made me go around again raising them all.

Indeed, a check in our SEP manuals proved that he/she was incorrect.

girtbar
15th Jun 2006, 14:15
If you put this in the search then there are pages of reasons why companies do this some have different reasons but basically its saftey related.

BA CLASSIC
16th Jun 2006, 08:12
CAA : All window blinds open
FAA : Window blinds that have to be open is crew stations and
Passenger's sitting over the wing , (check for fire/smoke) etc..

I think the CAA requirements are very good , as you can also adjust your eye's to the outside Light/Darkness .

scampy
16th Jun 2006, 12:00
I've worked for a couple of UK carter airlines now and both gave the same reasons during training.

Firstly so the all occupants of the cabin (crew and pax alike) can see outside and to be able to report anything untoward - or check for fire before opening doors etc

Secondly, so that everyone's eyes become accustomed to the light outside (also the reason that cabin lights are dimmed during take-off and landing in the hours of darkness) should there be a need for an evacuation.

Markie

blueloo
16th Jun 2006, 12:35
i think you will find the lights dimmed for take-off a bit of a furphy.

the debate will never cease (nor should it), but lights dimmed for take-off at most airlines is a marketing department concept to give fare paying pax a better squizz outside. it is often sold as letting the eyes getting accustomed to the night/outside light but thats a bit of a laugh really when a) it takes a fair while for it to take effect, b) the lights in the cabin arent that dim in many airlines, c) everyone turns their reading lights on

scampy
16th Jun 2006, 15:32
ooh, that shocks me a little. I was told in training that if I pax asks why the lights are dimmed we say it's so they can get a better view outside, however the actual reason is one of safety - but as all crew know - you don't make a habit of mentioning potential accidents to pax!