PDA

View Full Version : Rossair

Cha
14th Jun 2006, 12:09
Does anyone know charter company Rossair in Adelaide owned by same guy as for closed Rossair Flying Centre used to be at Parafield?

disco_air
14th Jun 2006, 12:35
What do you mean know them?

Cha
14th Jun 2006, 12:45
Just wondering. I did my CIR at Rossair Flying Centre at Parafield. Recently found out that the school closed but also found another Adelaide base company Rossair and just wondering if that's the same as old Rossair Flying Centre (under same management).

disco_air
14th Jun 2006, 12:56
I stand to be corrected but to my knowledge Rossair do charter from ADL in Conquests and a PA31. Thats all they appear to be doing?

...Disco

Cha
14th Jun 2006, 13:12
Yes. That's Rossair in Adelaide. But there was another Rossair (Rossair Flying Centre) in Parafield. Not exist anymore but they were flying school, cessna dealer and had a maintenance section too I think.

old snoozer
14th Jun 2006, 13:25
Rossair was a flying school, aircraft maintenence operation and Cessna dealer for years. Did all my flying with them and they were great because when you needed to fill the gap between PPL and CPL you delivered aircraft, for free - excellent.

I know Frank Calder who was one of the directors company passed away and then after that I think the maintenance operation got sold off and the dealership for cessnas eventually stopped or went interstate (unsure here) then all that was left was the flying school which persisted along for a few years (and was I think owned by a former staff member from the old flying school at Parafleld) then closed.

I am unsure of the current Rossair charter operation ownership but I believe a few of the guys who trained me yonks ago are still flying there.

Hope this helps

PennyBenjamin
14th Jun 2006, 13:32
ithink rossair recently changed hands again in the last couple of months, this included a move down the road at ADL. Having dealt with them on a number of occasions they are an impressive bunch of very highly experienced and likabl blokes with good machines and a good attitude.

Cha
14th Jun 2006, 13:44
Yes. I saw their Conquests in Olympic Dam and PA31 in Leigh Creek. Haven't met pilot but nice machines. I don't know if that's the same as old Rossair Flying Centre but I learned a lot from CFI KM too. Wonder what they are doing now.

tlf
14th Jun 2006, 16:10
ithink rossair recently changed hands again in the last couple of months, this included a move down the road at ADL. Having dealt with them on a number of occasions they are an impressive bunch of very highly experienced and likabl blokes with good machines and a good attitude.

I see some of the aircraft formerly owned by Air Charter are now registered to Rossair. So, if Rossair changed hands, could they have been bought by Air Charter and still operating as Rossair, or has someone bought both Rossair and Air Charter? I'm curious to know given that one is a former employer.

Grog Frog
15th Jun 2006, 01:23
Rossair (PF) Flying school was owned for many years by the legendary Kevin (F@!$ing) M, who sold it, and then it was resold and eventually merged into the Air South organisation. Kevin moved to Emu then ******** and now parts unknown, apparently retired from Aviation.

Recently Air Charter Aust and Rossair merged, having been aquired by a CB based (I think) operator, who also purchased ND helicopters.

tlf pm me old mate, (I was also at some of the above mentioned places)

tinpis
15th Jun 2006, 01:41
Ah yes Parafield.

If it wasnt for the sterling efforts of the Cessna and Piper salesmen together with the "Investment allowance" and legendary lunches ...http://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/drinkingbuds.gif, I doubt there would be the population of lighties for folks to play with today.

Aussie
15th Jun 2006, 03:13
I did my Joyflight/TIF there a while back!

Aussie

Paul Alfred
15th Jun 2006, 04:09
I also did most of my training at Rossair PF and as fars as I'm aware, it was never connected in a 'progression' way or ownership way to Rossair ADL. Brian Cool and Wayne Grant were the last owners who only managed to keep it running for another couple of years.

Does anyone know what happened to Brian?

Cheers

PA

THE IRON MAIDEN
15th Jun 2006, 08:51
They also have a Caravan II
Not a bad machine at all!!!!!!!

Natit
15th Jun 2006, 09:09
That is probably Air Charter's old one VH-JVN if I'm not mistaken?

bullamakanka
15th Jun 2006, 11:10
I think Brian went back to being an electrician. I believe that was his trade before flying? Had a lovely mustang too. Used to live down the road from me.

Bulla

THE IRON MAIDEN
15th Jun 2006, 11:15
Right you are Natit, VH-JVN. The pilot flying it was really nice too.

tlf
15th Jun 2006, 11:45
That is probably Air Charter's old one VH-JVN if I'm not mistaken?

The VH-JVN in my logbook is a C310, anyone know what that is registered as now?

Desert Flower
15th Jun 2006, 12:04
or has someone bought both Rossair and Air Charter? I'm curious to know given that one is a former employer.

Rossair & Air Charter have both been bought by the Four Arrows group, who also bought Noris Dinan Helicopters. They didn't buy the Air Charter 402's. VH-JVN is the Reims F406 Caravan 11 Air Charter had. Rossair's Conquests are still being used, & the owner of the whole shebang has a PA31-350 which has had the Colemill Panther mod. Of course as you can well imagine, the turbine drivers aren't happy about having to fly that!

DF.

Desert Flower
15th Jun 2006, 12:09
Right you are Natit, VH-JVN. The pilot flying it was really nice too.

That must have been JM, he's the only "young" one there. He was an ex Air Charter employee. Virtually all the others have been with Rossair for as long as I can remember, & probably should be retired! But they're a great bunch of guys though.

DF.

Desert Flower
15th Jun 2006, 12:10
The VH-JVN in my logbook is a C310, anyone know what that is registered as now?

Nope! That machine is long gone, & I can't even remember where it went. Will see if I can find out.

DF.

Natit
15th Jun 2006, 12:33
VH-JVN used to be Air Charter's C310. When they received the F406 it was initially registered VH-RCB (along with Aussie Air's F406 VH-RCA). When Air Charter got rid of the 310 the rego VH-JVN was transferred to the F406.

tlf
15th Jun 2006, 15:04
Rossair & Air Charter have both been bought by the Four Arrows group, who also bought Noris Dinan Helicopters. They didn't buy the Air Charter 402's. VH-JVN is the Reims F406 Caravan 11 Air Charter had. Rossair's Conquests are still being used, & the owner of the whole shebang has a PA31-350 which has had the Colemill Panther mod. Of course as you can well imagine, the turbine drivers aren't happy about having to fly that!

DF.

I should have known that I should go direct to "the source" for info on the South Australian aviation scene. :)

tlf
15th Jun 2006, 15:08
Nope! That machine is long gone, & I can't even remember where it went. Will see if I can find out.

DF.

While you're at it maybe you can tell me what became of the 402
VH-RGK :)

Dubya
16th Jun 2006, 02:50
Just down the road at Parafield in the 80's was Masterflight... whatever happened to Ken Howlett and his squadron of Grummans... last time I spoke with him was 1997 or so...

nasa
16th Jun 2006, 03:01
Ah yes Parafield.
If it wasnt for the sterling efforts of the Cessna and Piper salesmen together with the "Investment allowance" and legendary lunches ..., I doubt there would be the population of lighties for folks to play with today.
tinpis....I recall being a supplier of not only Beech products, but a good percentage of the funds you refer to above.....Those were the days, KP, Big Sam, Old Barry, Hendo, AK, etc etc.......
Lunches at the various establishments of scantily clad women :D :D :D

"Second Place is First Place for Losers"

Desert Flower
16th Jun 2006, 03:04
While you're at it maybe you can tell me what became of the 402
VH-RGK :)

I believe it has been scrapped. I done a search based on the serial number (after digging through my archives to find it ;)) & it turned up nothing. On the other hand, I found that the C310R which was registered VH-JVN is now registered VH-DAI & is in Derby W.A.:ok:

DF.

tinpis
16th Jun 2006, 03:09
tinpis....I recall being a supplier of not only Beech products, but a good percentage of the funds you refer to above.....Those were the days, KP, Big Sam, Old Barry, Hendo, AK, etc etc.......
Lunches at the various establishments of scantily clad women

Big Sam you mean of course "Honest Sam"?

"KP the Car King" is still around ADL..:)

They dont do lunch like them days anymore do they? :{

nasa
16th Jun 2006, 03:31
Honest Sam....I do believe that was how he refered to himself....Yes the big man now enjoying the golf links on the GC.
KP......Christ, the last time I heard of him he was selling Cadys in NY:rolleyes: .....Worked with him at Bankstown, where he and his offsider became affectionately known as Dodgy 1 and Dodgy 2......No disrespect intended if you read this KP ;)
Had lunch (read paid for) with Sir Rolo Kingsford-Smith at a place in Elizabeth. The name escapes me, but it was the favourite haunt of myself and AK and others in the "day" :ok:

"Second Place is First Place for Losers"