PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed: initial CPL/IF Test

Propellerpilot
14th Jun 2006, 12:07
I have just finished my IFR training in Cape Town and am now going on preparing the CPL practical test examination with the DE.

At present I am inclined of doing both the IF and the CPL together on the same date as I think many of the stuff tested would overlap (why be tested on steep turns twice - if I can fly them IF then I can also fly them visually... etc and also the whole preflight and postflight briefing will be one instead of two...). And it might even save a bit of time and money.

Is this a good idea ? Any pros and cons from your experience to help me make a final decision ?

Patches O'Houlihan
14th Jun 2006, 21:04
unless you're doing single comm, twin if (or some other crazy combo mcmeal), there's no reason you shouldn't do both comm and if tests at the same time. you'll probably still have to do a night test tho, unless you can take off 2 hours before sunset and finish after dark (not sure if thats leagal??). with the price of flying these days, anything to save some cash. good luck:ok:

SIC
15th Jun 2006, 13:44
Dont even consider not doing all the tests together - its pretty standard everywhere - start your comm test late afternoon and do into evening - ILS is easier at night anyway when its less bumpy!! The examiner will be happy too cause he gets paid for both tests at once!

Stayinalive
17th Jun 2006, 12:13
All at once.....impress him earlier on and carry it thru. Why wind yurself up twice on two seperate occasions?...Whack 1time. Ur instructor should advise u the same...

Propellerpilot
20th Jun 2006, 17:50
Thanks for your comments - was inclined to take both anyway. My instructor said it is up to me, so he seems confident too. Was just checking if someone made a bad experience by doing it and would state reasons for not doing all at once. Will see what the DE says once I make the appointment - if he does not object then that's what will happen ! :)

Propellerpilot
10th Jul 2006, 12:37
Yep that's the way to do it - saved a whole lot of money and I got the ticket last week. So if anyone of you is unsure - I can only say go for it: do them both and start the flying 1 hour or so before sunrise or sunset then you got the night as well !

Thanks again for those that posted good advice !