PDA

View Full Version : Caribbean/Latinamerican Flightschools

poonta
14th Jun 2006, 08:53
Hi!

I was wondering if there are any flightschools in the caribbean, latin american part of the world :] I couldnt find any with the search function.
The thing is im now living in Sweden, been living en suramerica for about 6years earlier when i was a little boy.. hehe.... So im looking for a flightschool that has it all, ppl/cpl/me/ir/atpl, and accept international students.

I guess i posted in the wrong forum, but u guys should know this... :}

Ciao!

Bob Lenahan
14th Jun 2006, 18:34
There are a number of flight schools in Mexico but since you are international I don't know why you would use any of them. Standards are much higher in the US, Canada, and, I assume, Europe.

el @
14th Jun 2006, 19:07
Hi poonta,

I recently got to know aerokern, in buenos aires, argentina, as a very good school. I won't post a link to avoid anyone think this is advertising, so I´m PM´g you about it.

BL: sorry to see your answer full of contempt toward non-anglosaxon learning environments. You may be surprised to know that many of these schools are handled in a perfectly safe manner and are producing good pilots on a daily basis. They should be commended even more, if anything. Knowledge and skills are not reserved to 1st world countries, luckly.

rayne
24th Jun 2006, 00:33
Bob Lenahan what do you mean standards are much higher in the us etc? do you mean it's easier to a pilot licence in the caribbean or something?

There are a number of flight schools in Mexico but since you are international I don't know why you would use any of them. Standards are much higher in the US, Canada, and, I assume, Europe.

Panama Jack
24th Jun 2006, 04:57
There are a number of good schools in the US, Canada and Europe that are probably more organized towards pushing you though the licences and ratings, simply because the experience of sheer volume. These are pilot factories.

Have a good friend who did his PPL with a small school in Managua, Nicaragua. He was the first guy to get a PPL in Nicaragua since the 1980's! The school was a small, one guy, one plane outfit, and of course the bureaucracy and road map from going from 0 time to PPL was a little unclear at the time (for example, they had to check out the Examiner on Cessna 152 before my friend was able to get checked out by him).

However, he is pretty pleased with what he got. Unlike many instructors at the pilot factories, his instructor was highly experienced-- former jet transport pilot, former Director of DGAC, instructor and charter pilot. From what my friend told me, he really learned to fly and loved the experience.

However, flight training in Latin America is by no means "cheap." Renting a C-152 in Nicaragua costs about $130 USD, thanks to the high cost of fuel, insurance, and the fact that the airplane isn't flying as much as in other training schools.

I would say if you are looking for a one-stop shopping for all your licences and ratings with an eye to airline flying, go to a very reputable pilot factory.

el @
24th Jun 2006, 11:59
Hi Panama, your friend experience confirms that good training can be found in the most remote places and why not in america latina.
Just one note, is not that expensive everywhere like in Nicaragua, consider for exampe a C152 here in argentina is about 70 usd /hour including all fees, fuel and instructor.

crack up
24th Jun 2006, 18:50
The flt. schools that I am familiar with in C/S America (Guatemala and Colombia) actually have higher standards than what I am familiar with in N. America and Europe. They put an emphisis on actual flying skills. Similar to how flt. schools in the U.S. and Canada used to be (not all schools of course).

As PJ says though, flt instruction in this region will be very expensive. And, your chances of finding any flying jobs In this region once you have attained your ratings are very remote.

Panama Jack
25th Jun 2006, 07:40
Very good point el @. Latin America is not a homogeneous region (there is a huge difference between a country like Honduras or Nicaragua and one like Chile and Argentina). Asking what training is like in a broad area like Latin America is like asking what training quality is like in Asia.

The problem that I have tried to highlight is that if someone is on a limited monetary and time budget, like most ab-initio students, then some countries can be quite taxing in patience. I expect that the situation is considerably more organized in places like but not limited to Mexico, Chile, Brazil and Argentina, where there is more of an established flight training industry.

My friend feels quite happy because for him learning to fly was a post mid-life ambition, a hobby, and so since he was living in Managua anyway inconveniences and delays didn't matter too much. As I had mentioned, his instructor taught him all sorts of skills that most established US schools would scare away from because of the litigious society that it is. His instructor exposed his student to dirt strips, low altitude navigation, instrument flying and other piloting skills that would never be covered at many other schools.

One of the problems in many Latin American countries is that foreigners are restricted for holding a professional pilot licence-- in other words, a CPL, ATP or Instructor Ratings. In Nicaragua, DGAC being a small entity has started to issue these licences to foreigners with the limitation stating that the licence is only valid for private flying.

And as crack up has mentioned and as my friend knows all too well, getting the licences locally means little if you hope to find a job in the region-- just very unlikely.

Bob Lenahan
25th Jun 2006, 14:38
Been away for awhile- sorry.
In Mexico you can find 120 hr. flight instructors. Do you seriously believe that's accaptable? Written exams are administered completely by the flight school- not a governing agency- it wouuld seem obvious to me that there are no standards, but there is a personal interest by the school to get the students passed. As I remember, commercial and instrument by 150 hrs. Also no ATPL in Mexico. There are others, but don't remember them now.
After talking to a number of flight schools here and two friends going thru their private pilot training, sent my grandson to Canada for his training.

LUVJET
26th Jun 2006, 08:36
Poonta,

Just wondering would Australia be a better option for you ??? If it were could possibly enter a train and employ arrangment. Not to sure of the procedure but try National Aerospace Training (Melbourne Australia) www.nationalaerospace.net.au (i think). They create their own work force. Simply : You pay them to train you , they pay you to work for them. (usually at the very busy Darwin base of their sister company Direct Air Charter. (expect to do between 600 - to 900 hours per year flying C210s first,Partnavia, C310,Chieftain and 402C.

At the end of it you go back to Europe do your conversion and straight in where ever you want to go.

Just a thought

bye:

SPARR0W
26th Jun 2006, 15:06
I'm thinking about taking a vacation in Brazil, Argentina or Venezuela and thought it would be nice to combine it with some recreational flying :ok:

I have a basic FAA PPL and I'm due for a BFR, so I don't expect or wish to fly solo.

Any specific recommendations for flight schools or aeroclubs in those countries?

Thanks!