PDA

View Full Version : R-44 Autorotation Video

Shawn Coyle
13th Jun 2006, 23:13
I've just finished watching Helicopter Concept's R-22 Autorotation video, and thought it was a very good first attempt at doing anything like this.
One of the things that was quite well done was the discussion about energy and energy management - they actually calculated the values needed to maintain a constant rate of descent and airspeed in the R-22 and used bar graphs to show how much there was and how it went away during various phases of the flight.
The shots from the horizontal stab were a nice touch as well.
Obviously one could quibble about some of the detail points, but remember this is the first time something like this has been put into production.
They evidently intend to expand the subject matter, so if you have any ideas it might be worth sending them to these folks.
Anyone else have any comments?

thecontroller
14th Jun 2006, 00:03
errr, R44?

ukhelipilot22
14th Jun 2006, 00:10
I have also just got my copy of the DVD and thought it was really good!

An excellent addition to any R22 drivers collection. I think they are releasing other DVDs which cover other phases of flight, which I will look forward to seeing!.

Shawn Coyle
14th Jun 2006, 00:16
The deliberate error was quite quickly spotted! I obviously meant the R-22.
too much time in front of a computer...

Heli-kiwi
14th Jun 2006, 03:15
I did a Robbie saftey course earlier this year that Tim Tucker (R22 test pilot) spoke at - he had all the video footage from the R22 and R44 Auto Certification tests which showed autos entered from every edge of the auto curve and what happens if it is exceeded. All autos were done onto tarmac or into water with floats, the throttle was chopped with a 1 second delay before lowering the collective. One R22 got bundled up on the runway in the process but it stayed upright.
With the R44 autos, If we weren't told they were autos you could think they were just fast approaches......... Most impressive.

topendtorque
14th Jun 2006, 13:29
is this secret robbie business, where does one find the goods?

Vertolot
14th Jun 2006, 20:46
These guys makes it look so easy....:)

O27PMR
14th Jun 2006, 21:53
I thought the DVD was very well made and very informative:ok:

I only wish I could auto that well every time!

My only real criticism was that I found the DVD very repetative. Other than that, very good.:D