PDA

View Full Version : Yet another XP quirk

Cornish Jack
13th Jun 2006, 22:53
I thought I had come across just about all the possible stupidities and 'gotchas' that the Redmond genii had incorporated into their OSs..... but I now have a new one:mad:
"Data Execution Prevention"
This appears when attempting to print a test page (or any printing) on a newly re-installed Canon Laser mono printer. It is accompanied by the message "To help protect your computer Windows has closed this program.
Name - Windows Explorer
Publisher - MicroSoft Corporation"
WTHIH???
The original printer installation was totally straightforward; the re-install was needed following a System Restore after my mate had totally fouled up his Internet setup. The "help" files are, as usual, the equivalent of mammaries on a bull, so does anyone know what is happening here and, more importantly, how to sort it?
TIA

maxell
14th Jun 2006, 07:24
Have a read of THIS (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875351) It might help

Cornish Jack
14th Jun 2006, 11:06
Thank you, Maxell.
I had already had a sort of look at that reference while I was wrestling with the problem.
Many years ago, on steam radio, there was a 'comedian' called Harry Hemsley who used to act out a skit with a supposed family of three children, Winnie(the oldest), a middle child and Horace, the youngest, who used to make noises, unintelligible to anyone other than Winnie. The catch-phrase was "What did Horace say, Winnie?" Oh, how we laughed!:rolleyes:
That MS reference document was the written equivalent of a Horace output!:ugh:
The supposed answer to the problem is to disable DEP on the errant program - in this case, the printer. Fine, except that the printer program does not appear in the Program File listing. There would also appear to be some method of totally disabling this latest MS idiocy but deciphering the 'geek speak' may prove to be beyond me:sad:
Can anyone out there
a. translate the MS verbiage into plain english
and/or
b. explain why the original printer installation worked fine and didn't generate this "protection" measure but the re-install does?
TIA

maxell
14th Jun 2006, 12:21
This is the bit that tells you how to change the setting
You can view the DEP configuration for your computer in System in Control Panel. To do this, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl, and then click OK.
2. Click the Advanced tab, and then under Performance, click Settings.
3. In the Performance Options dialog box, click the Data Execution Prevention tab.
4. Note if Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only or Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select: is selected.
When your computer is configured to turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only, you cannot add an exception for a program. This is the behavior that is by design in Windows XP SP2.
If your computer is configured to turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only, and the DEP error message continues to appear, a program may be installed that extends Windows functionality. This program may be installed so that it causes a DEP problem in an important Windows program or service.

If you have carried out a system restore have you reinstalled all the windows updates after the restore point.

ShyTorque
14th Jun 2006, 17:23
Cornish Jack,

Thanks for that info! No, not the computer stuff, but for explaining where the saying: "What did Horace say?" originated from.

My family used that for years and I never understood what it was about! :ok:

DBTL
14th Jun 2006, 18:28
What Canon laser printer do you have? The really ancient ones can emulate the HP LaserJet (II), the not so ancient employ something called WPS (Windows Printing System) that seems to have been a short-lived thing at the early Windows 95/late Win98 time. For a USB-aware model you might want to check for an updated driver, but the Canon sites rather uniquely appear to be asking for the serial number of
your printer.

Cornish Jack
15th Jun 2006, 10:43
Again, thanks, Maxell and DBTL
Maxell. I noted that suggestion from your earlier reference and am a little confused as to the difference between using the RUN 'sysdm.cpl' route and the dialogue box you get from 'clicking' through the Control Panel options. The latter options are only useful if the problem program appears in Program Files. The Canon printer DOES NOT!!:ugh: If, however, the 'RUN' version allows TOTAL disabling of this latest bit of MS 'helpfulness', I shall certainly use it. Can't do anything 'til tomorrow night as the relevant 'pooter' is some distance away.
DBTL - the printer is a Canon mono laser L120(?) or similar and recently purchased. Initial installation was totally straightforward and it printed TEST PAGE and other output with no problems. The installed drivers are XP specific from the installation CD. This :mad: interference by Windows has only occurred since the re-install following a System Restore to the Dell initial Setup condition.
It would appear that this 'protection' is only effective post SP2 but, since that is the original installation level, my mate is stuck with it.
My mental processes grind ever more slowly, but a sudden thought - the program which is noted in the pop-up box as initiating the stoppage is Windows Explorer. Should I be adding THAT to the DEP exclusion list, rather than the Canon printer???
Will try that and report.

Cornish Jack
28th Jul 2006, 21:10
As promised, results of the attempt to defeat the 'Data Execution Prevention' problem ..... NIL:{ Adding Notepad.exe to the list of exempted programs had no effect at all - the :mad: thing still refused to print:ugh:
Removed and re-installed printer ... same result.
Finally tried to print out a page of print in MS Works and, hey presto!, it printed!! I can't even start to get my head around what is happening here,in particular why MS would want to incorporate such a feature anyway????? As far as I know, Notepad is an MS base program, so why does it see it as a problem?
Thank you to all the helpful subscribers - would still be happy to hear from anyone who knows WTHIH!!!

BOAC
28th Jul 2006, 21:17
AFAIK run/sysdm.cpl is the same as rt click on my computer/properties?

zfw
30th Jul 2006, 10:21
What you really need is this........................i have just bought an Amd 64 based computer and its also hardware as well as software DEP, this seems to solve the problem it does mean going into your boot.ini file...............but its worth it.

http://www.housing.hawaii.edu/resources/support/turnoff-dep.htm

zfw:ok: