PDA

View Full Version : S H A R J A H - U A E

Special Needs
13th Jun 2006, 17:58
For all of you that might consider relocating to the "beautiful" Sharjah Emirate (to work at the most technoligically advanced!!!) airport as ATC (Twr only - App was taken away), think again. They might promise a lot (Serco), not true - you will be working for Sharjah Airport (not Serco) - empty promises and lies... we'll get back to you, enshala

The people at SHJ are special, so special that they're all leaving, sorry Air Arabia, sorry SHJ GCAA.

4 Posts opening up, 2 Brits going there - think carefully! No staff retention problem although they lost 6 out of 10 controllers last year. Not a happy place.

Smile, you're in Sharjah - as they like to proclaim (yeah right) more like grimace.

Nimmer
15th Jun 2006, 13:46
Special need, similar problems in Dubai and throughout the UAE in general, but at least we can go out for a beer!!!!!

Agree with you though, if you are a Brit thinking of working in the Middle East, don't. Wages aren't good enough, you are definately better off in the UK, even paying tax!!

Me coming home soon

average-atco
19th Jun 2006, 22:41
Being one of the controllers at scottish considering a move to the middle east would appreciate any views on pro's con's of going out there.
Is it the cost of living that make the wages not good enough to justify the move?

danceswithsheep
20th Jun 2006, 09:16
Which one of the many are you????????

average-atco
20th Jun 2006, 09:36
Don't think there's a huge number considering it?

Special Needs
21st Jun 2006, 15:27
Taking Sharjah as example

It’s not only the cost of living (which is fairly high) that one should consider but also everything that goes with living in UAE. Rent has increased dramatically the last couple of years. It used to be cheaper staying in Sharjah compared to Dubai. That is no longer true. To give an idea, for a small (very small) 2 bedroom apartment (flat) in Sharjah you will pay upwards from 65000 dirhams per year (if one wants to stay in fairly decent area). If one is “lucky” enough to work at Sharjah this means you will pay in 10000 dirhams per year on top of utilities (water/gas/electricity). Sharjah controllers only get 55000 dirhams (including utilities). Deduct about 5000-10000 from this amount for utilities and you’re left with 45000-50000 for rent. It leaves one with very limited choices of where to stay.

Then you also need furniture. The furniture is 2nd hand (if you’re lucky enough to get any) and in need of replacement. The roads to and from the airport (about 50km to and from) nearly always grid locked (makes the M25 look like a drive in the country side) and it can take up to 90 minutes in any direction. If you thought of getting a place closer to the airport you won’t be able to afford it unless you are willing to pay in a lot of money. That in a nutshell. The working environment is something to behold as well. Won’t go into a lot of detail here but it’s like something from the Twilight Zone. Enough said for now.

If you’re seriously considering the UAE then Sharjah is not the place to go. Dubai might be better option, but still – money talks and right now the way things are the money is very quiet!

This is mostly true for rest of middle east as well

average-atco
21st Jun 2006, 17:56
Thanks for the info,
The info I'd been able to get, although not offered to me , haven't got that far yet , was the accom + utilities allowance was a lot more in dubai.
It would mean a good 3/4 bed property?
I wouldn't be thinking of a move if it means struggling.
Has to be a good package before I move my family away from the relative security I have now.
Would be interested in any input from dubai??

Special Needs
21st Jun 2006, 18:07
If you want you can send me private email and I'll give the exact figures etc

desertrose
23rd Jun 2006, 21:56
Hello Average atco.

Rent in Dubai has gone through the roof. For a 3 bedroom villa you are looking at about Dhs 170 000 rent per annum.(If you are lucky) If you are married with children you get Dhs 110 000 per annum from SERCO. The compound where a lot of the ATC's stay, is a lot cheaper (Dhs 90 000) but there is a very long waiting list.

Dubai is a great place to live! I just love it here! It is true that the cost of living has gone up over the last couple of years. It is not as cheap as it use to be! People come to Dubai for different reasons. Depending on what your reasons are.....people either love Dubai or hate it!

PS. Hope you like warm (hot) weather!!

desertrose
23rd Jun 2006, 22:05
:confused: Hello Special Needs

So, how many controllers are left in Sharjah now? How many has resigned?

Is management in Sharjah concerned about all the resignations or not?

I really feel sorry for the controllers that are staying behind. Sharjah is just becoming more and more busy and it is not the same old quiet station it use to be.

Special Needs
24th Jun 2006, 03:47
Management surely isn’t concerned, or that's the impression they give. Apparently they've got a bottomless pit of replacements so why should they keep present controllers happy when they can replace the unhappy ones with new controllers that do not know any better!

But then again Sharjah contract is managed differently than places like Dubai, so why should Sharjah Airport care, they will always have somebody up in the tower, happy or not.

average-atco
24th Jun 2006, 08:29
At those rental prices is it not easier to buy?

Red Dragon
24th Jun 2006, 13:54
average-atco,

There are two definite camps when it comes to buying property in Dubai. Those that want to pay a fixed mortgage in order to protect thyemselves from constant rent increases and think that they may make some money at the same time.
Others believe that it's still an un-proven market, a bubble waiting to burst and one that has no real legal process or structure. The standard of construction on some properties is decidedly suspect and makes you wonder whether it will still be standing in 15-20 years.
With the rapid rise in property prices you would need to bring a sizeable lump sum with you in order to buy something reasonable now.
Wise words from one expert I read were that buying is 'probably' a good proposition, but not if you're ploughing all your life savings into it.

Hope that helps and I can only agree with what special needs has to say about Sharjah.

RD

bravosierra
28th Jun 2006, 12:39
I will be leaving Sharjah end of september.
At the moment up to 45 degrees outside and up to 35 degrees in the control tower.
Air conditioning not working properly, a problem known since at least last summer.
Nice for people that like it hot... :\

average-atco
28th Jun 2006, 16:38
Do any of you guys know anything about the Serco Bahrain operation ?
I'm trying to find out how it is , staff happy , cost of living etc
Any input would be appreciated.
Sorry to wander this thread in different directions

ItchyFeet2
29th Jun 2006, 08:22
Average ATCO, check pm's.

IF2

Eveready
29th Jun 2006, 12:17
:{ i can not take it anymore at our lovely station!!! i use to be duracel but now im eveready, my batteries will not last long!!!!:uhoh:

denel01
29th Jun 2006, 21:37
Just want to say that SERCO is definately not in charge of their people at Sharjah. They only pay the salaries, but all the allowances ex. housing, utilities, furniture are proposed by Sharjah Airport(the client) and whatever they propose gets accepted.

No wonder the people are leaving.

Special Needs
29th Jun 2006, 21:50
Exactly like denel01 says. The managers that should look out for their own (Serco) shrugs the problems off as being nothing. If they are looking after their own they're certainly not showing it. Working conditions the controllers complain about remains the same. Like bravosierra mentioned about heat in tower, at night when the sun is burning somebody else the heat remains - normal temp for night up in the tower is 28 degrees. This might be nice when you are at North / South pole but not when one is in the desert. I mean how difficult can it be to replace the 30years old a/c system with new a/c or are they too serious about stuffing their own pockets with money to care.

If this is not the case why don't they give the controllers reasons for not changing conditions, for that matter, why don't they give the controllers feed back wrt anything. Everything is always very secret and becomes known via the "grapevine". Treat the people with respect and acknowledge them then you might get some loyalty. But soon it won't be my problem!!

Eveready
30th Jun 2006, 07:14
I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL SPECIAL NEEDS!!! EVERYONE IS FRUSTRATED AT SHARJAH AND A CONTROLLER THAT IS FRUSTRATED IS NOT A GOOD THING! HOW DIFFICULT CAN IT BE!! THEY ARE LOSING CONTROLLERS, SO OF COURSE THERE MUST BE A PROBLEM!. MANAGERS.* WHAT IS THE PROBLEM CONTROLLERS* THEY KNOW ALL THE PROBLEMS AND NOTHING GETS DONE ABOUT IT!!! SO WHAT ARE THE CONTROLLERS DOING??? THEY ARE GOING AWAY OF COURSE!!! BYE BYE SHARJAH!!! ONE IF THESE DAYS THEY ARE NOT GOING TO EVEN HAVE ANY OJTI*S LEFT!!

Nimmer
1st Jul 2006, 03:54
Guys, with 4 leaving and no replacements, is that correct? How's the roster going to work?

Sounds like a nightmare.

Special Needs
3rd Jul 2006, 02:18
It should be interesting to know how it's gonna work, maybe they have a card up their sleeves, ha. Seems like they are all of a sudden prepared to give a better ATC allowance, but regretably only from Jan 2007 (Same as DXB). Too little too late!!

killer
14th Jul 2006, 01:29
I am considering a move to Dubai from Canada within the next year. Any information on working conditions, cost of living (I don't necessarily want to make loads of money but i do not want to be any worse for wear) would be much appreciated.
thanks

Fly Through
14th Jul 2006, 11:25
Leaving Kelowna!!!! You must be mad.

Have worked Dubai & Canada, PM me with any questions.

FT