PDA

View Full Version : NZ GA industry - What would you do?

romansandal
13th Jun 2006, 09:16
Well, what would you do?

As always, there seems to be a lot of discussion among NZ aviation circles at present regarding the problems within the GA industry in this country. Some are specific to New Zealand, some are worldwide GA problems. However, recent events appear to have highlighted some major problems in the CAA and the GA industry in general in New Zealand.

The question is, if you a magic wand, what would you do? What would you change in the CAA? What really is fair remuneration in GA? What conditions should pilots work under? Is there a quick fix or do we do we have to undergo major changes in the GA sector?

So here is your opportunity, fire away!

MOR
13th Jun 2006, 09:47
Simple.

Reform the CAA with a new regulatory framework that makes safety the priority, and makes enforcement/compliance an active, rather than passive, activity.

Ditch the pseudo-American sytemology and nomenclature, and adopt a JAA-based system (not that there was anything wrong with the UK-based system we used to have).

Tear up all existing copies of the Swedavia Report and NEVER, NEVER, EVER refer to it again. Delete all references to this discredited document.

Fair renumeration is whatever the market will bear (as it always has been). The only way you will ever change that is if all operators agree together to charge higher prices, which is of course, more or less illegal and anti-competitive.

Pilots should work under conditions that are no worse than those prescribed by law (as it always has been). This is linked to renumeration. The trick is to make the laws reflect common sense. No operator is going to pay their pilots more unless they are flush with cash - show me on that is - and even then they won't if pilots continue to work for peanuts.

There is no quick fix, never has been. GA struggles all over the world. Certainly there is no chance of any change under the present administration.

glekichi
13th Jun 2006, 23:54
Getting young ones interested in flying is a great thing, but we do already have too many monkeys getting CPLs under the student loan.

How about higher standards for entry.
Less pilots would also make for better conditions for those who do get in.

nzmarty
14th Jun 2006, 01:29
pay some salaries that reflect the importance of the position, or at least the value of the training to get there.

CTC, leaders in training airline pilots, pay a C-cat instructor $17500/annum. that's $8.40/hr. i'm sure the minimum wage is $12 or so. the receptionist earns more than that. in fact, my 14 year old son earns more than that (hourly rate) working checkout at the local supermarket! even an A-cat multi ifr instructor is only on $32500, $15/hr.

and sorry, however much i'd like to go flying full time, i'm just not prepared to jump into that hole.

27/09
14th Jun 2006, 01:57
NZmarty

Not sure where you got your figures re CTC. I thought they paid much better than that. If your figures are true they are certainly not leaders in the industry especially for what they pay their instructors. There are much better paying instructing jobs out there.

MOR

Not sure that the JAA system is better for us than the FAA system for GA, especially since there is really no GA in much of the JAA juristriction. Our GA system is much more aligned to the USA with or without the rules system we now have.

CAA are too focused on the paper trail and making sure all the boxes have been ticked and not on wether or not the job is being actually done properly.

nzmarty
14th Jun 2006, 04:56
those are the pay scales given for the sponsored instructor programme - link > http://www.ctcwings.co.nz/pdf/5870_Brochure.pdf for all to see

27/09
14th Jun 2006, 05:33
Yep thanks NZMarty,

See those figures. I think however that they currently pay well above that for the instructors they already have.

Interesting read that brochure, looks like a the real cost is about $15,000 but they inflate the price to look as if you are getting a good deal. 30 grand for an instructors rating??????????????, :mad: granted it includes upgrades from the C Cat to B Cat and then A Cat plus the add ons like multi and night etc, BUT 30 grand really!!!!!!!!!!! You have to be pulling my leg.

The only thing going for it is you are guaranteed a job at the end.... that's if you meet their high standards. Come to think of it, most half decent places that do instructor ratings give you a job anyway. So really a cunning scam!!!!

fly real fast
15th Jun 2006, 06:36
I think everyone should bend over and take it hard for a couple of years to get where you want to go. Lets be realistic, Nothing will change, pilots are always going to shaft each other. so until everyone works together, be selfish and do what makes you more employable for a "real" job. people will bag me for saying that but hey, I'm sure most if given the opportunity will take it. Be honest with yourelves. In regards to CAA.. incompetence personified:ugh:

Oktas8
17th Jun 2006, 02:31
CTC, leaders in training airline pilots, pay a C-cat instructor $17500/annum. ... even an A-cat multi ifr instructor is only on $32500

Bit harsh nzmarty. The numbers CTC quote are for a cadet program; airlines pay cadets less than direct entry pilots in order to recoup training costs. Perhaps this organisation is doing the same. Once cadet pilots have paid off their "return of service" obligation they join the higher salary bands of their peers. Again, perhaps this organisation is doing the same.

As a flight instructor, I now find myself in the top tax bracket. Ok only just! But still, there is money in GA - not as much as in Air NZ admittedly, but enough to have a comfortable life on.