PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Blue Order 9 Boeings

Buckshot
13th Jun 2006, 02:39
Source: boeing.com/news

SEATTLE, June 12, 2006 -- The Boeing Company [NYSE: BA] today identified Virgin Blue Airlines as the carrier that last month exercised purchase rights for nine Next-Generation 737-800 airplanes.

The order was previously included on Boeing's Orders and Deliveries Web site, attributed to an unidentified customer.

Deliveries of these airplanes to the Brisbane, Queensland, Australia-based low-cost carrier begin in 2008. The order is valued at $634.5 million at average list prices. Virgin Blue operates an all-Boeing fleet of 52 Next-Generation 737s and will use the new aircraft to replace leased planes in its fleet.

"The Next-Generation 737 is a reliable and cost-efficient aircraft, which is essential in our competitive low-cost market," said Brett Godfrey, Virgin Blue's CEO. "Combined with its passenger comfort and appeal, the Next-Generation 737 is the right choice for Virgin Blue. The Next-Generation 737 is an integral part of our growth strategy."

The airline's fleet is a mix of 737-700s and 737-800s, running a route network stretching from Darwin in northern Australia to Perth in the West and Hobart in the South, and includes high-frequency East Coast services between Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane.

"The 737 continues to be the airplane of choice for successful, established low-cost carriers like Virgin Blue," said Larry Dickenson, vice president, Sales -- Boeing Commercial Airplanes. "As Virgin Blue continues to grow, the Next-Generation 737s will continue to contribute to the airline's bottom line with reliable, efficient and economical service."

Escape_Slide
13th Jun 2006, 03:09
Well I really am not sure about this decision. Don't they know they (VirginBlue) are facing unprecedented fuel cost increases over the next few month????:confused:

Whilst most people are getting out of the airline business, VirginBlue is expanding??? I wonder if they have schemed up any more GST tax breaks??? :ugh:

Keg
13th Jun 2006, 03:32
The Boeing media release quotes Godfrey as saying that they are to 'replace' leased aircraft.....so it doesn't look like too much expansion. Of course, someone inside the DJ house hold may have other news! :}

Warped Wings
13th Jun 2006, 04:08
Keg, you are correct. Virgin fleet set to grow at a rate of 2-3 aircraft a year.

Dookie on Drums
13th Jun 2006, 22:14
Giddy up I say :ok:

I concur with Keg and Warped Wings

ur2
13th Jun 2006, 23:02
Old a/c out, new ones in.
This is no expansion, just cutting it,s leasing costs.

3 Holer
14th Jun 2006, 00:05
Plus they got the replacement aircraft for significantly less than the list price because of a lucrative options arrangement,signed in 2003, when Boeing were desperate for orders.

cunninglinguist
14th Jun 2006, 10:34
wot happened to the rumour about Vb ordering a truckload of Embraer 190s :confused: , any more on that one :confused:

brucekabuce
16th Jun 2006, 08:49
HAHA,
Typical Vb buying more flying washing machines!!!,
brucekabuce

Danny Crane
17th Jun 2006, 01:51
HAHA,
Typical Vb buying more flying washing machines!!!,
brucekabuce

What is "next generation" abouty a 737-800 ????

brucekabuce
17th Jun 2006, 04:20
why buy an 800 when u can buy a 900?:rolleyes:
hopeless!!!
brucekabuce
i much rather qantas with there 767's oh yer

WangFunk
17th Jun 2006, 04:41
Heard a rumour VB to get 747's from Malaysian until 777 come off the production line? Your take on this one............?

Warped Wings
17th Jun 2006, 04:55
777 odds on favourite, as for an interim aircraft type- who knows.

Regional aircraft (jets/turboprops) still under consideration apparently.

Time will tell, certainly interesting times ahead.

brucekabuce
17th Jun 2006, 05:45
haha,
they gonna buy the some 747-100's why by old ones when u can buy new ones?

Dookie on Drums
17th Jun 2006, 07:42
They would be 747-400's bruce :rolleyes:

Why buy old ones?? Well price firstly and it would be an acceptable interim aircraft as there is a bit of a waiting list for the 777.

Wang funk you are spot on.

brucekabuce
17th Jun 2006, 07:48
DREAMING,
Plus how much is a 747-400 and a 777 endo? whos gonna pay this time?

jetblues
17th Jun 2006, 08:00
More likely A340-600's on wet lease with crew from Virgin Atlantic.

This is where the current money is on, but how do you get British crews flying an Australian registered Airbus ?

Contract Con
17th Jun 2006, 09:59
Gday,

From what I'm told I'll put a carton of Crownies on the Jumbo for start up.

Cheers,

Con:ok:

Ps. the difference in financial component will keep a used Jumbo on par with a new Tripler for a few years

Capn Bloggs
17th Jun 2006, 10:28
how do you get British crews flying an Australian registered Airbus
Easy. Just ask Bob Hawke. Oh, and there are some Americans flying A330s here: they might be able to provide a few clues.

Contract Con
17th Jun 2006, 10:36
Yes the Silver Bodgie has proved to be a great source of information regarding foreign Flight Crew licencing over the years:yuk: :yuk:

Con:ok:

Going Boeing
18th Jun 2006, 06:39
If DJ was to look at QF's experience with ex MAS B744s, they wouldn't go down that path. The costs involved with keeping them servicable to normal airline standards would be prohibitive. Look at other options.

max autobrakes
7th Jul 2006, 15:55
Yeh go the Vimy

keepemseperated
7th Jul 2006, 23:27
..... but how do you get British crews flying an Australian registered .....?
Pretty sure that Ozjet did it, so can't be all that hard.

Chocks Away
21st Jul 2006, 02:24
Yep, I'll put a "side of Crownies" on that too, Con :ok: .
I think you're right as the 777 looks hard to come by, while EK - who are parking surplus frames, are holding onto the newies they can't crew.

Happy landings:ok:

jetblues
21st Jul 2006, 07:14
So what if EK were a large minority shareholder in VB's new International/Widebody Airline ? What would stop the uncrewed B777's suddenly flying for the new airline with OZ based crews ?

The options are endless, the group conducting the study are due to report shortly (publicly at least).

UNOME
21st Jul 2006, 07:32
Qatar just dumped a few more 777s on the market by cancelling their order. (price arguments)

I believe a "low cost" operation would find the start up cost of the 777 prohibitive. (If the Shieks are checking their very deep pockets.....)

Two cartons on the A330-200. :p (QF will start off loading some cheap 330s as the 787s roll in...hint, hint)

Warped Wings
22nd Jul 2006, 12:24
UNOME,

I will raise you with 5 cartons on the 777-200LR.;)

Victor India
22nd Jul 2006, 16:50
I was going to ask the same question as Danny Crane above. Does anyone know where this "NG" term came from? Boeing's term I guess?

I initially was lead to believe it meant "New Generation". Based on the avionics upgrade I could perhaps accept "New Generation". "New" for a B737, but really late-1980s like (similar to B747-400). "Next Generation" though is a little far fetched for an aircraft with an overhead panel which is fundamentally unchanged since the B737s inception. Something to do with Southwest Airlines I believe. Oh yeah, no EICAS either, and that lovely stab trim wheel.

About the only "new" toy is the Heads Up Guidance System (HGS), which I believe isn't even standard (except on the Boeing Business Jet).

Yes... truly "Next Generation" :confused:

coaldemon
23rd Jul 2006, 01:07
I believe that the NG moniker is more for the new wing and engines than anything else. Oh also those little TV screens up the front but then the rest of the machine is fairly similar although Eicas would have been nice.

SOPS
23rd Jul 2006, 02:32
and a new overhead panel would have helped as well!!!

ozyozyozy
23rd Jul 2006, 09:20
Although a lot more changes to the original maggot would have been nice, i think it was about 25% that was allowed by the FAA or the type would have had to be totally re-certified. (Obviously adding to the cost/time)

The cockpit also had to maintain its original layout for crew interchangability purposes so things have to appear to operate exactly the same on both aircraft (a major selling point that Boeing was lacking in compared to the french design philosophy).

This is why the o'head panel is the same with some switches (e.g elec power) that do the same things but the way they do it is different.

Hope this helps

Lord Snot
24th Jul 2006, 00:09
Yes... truly "Next Generation"But how can it be the "next" generation if it's out now....????? :confused:

soldier of fortune
26th Jul 2006, 05:14
qoute: from vi
I was going to ask the same question as Danny Crane above. Does anyone know where this "NG" term came from? Boeing's term I guess?

I initially was lead to believe it meant "New Generation". Based on the avionics upgrade I could perhaps accept "New Generation". "New" for a B737, but really late-1980s like (similar to B747-400). "Next Generation" though is a little far fetched for an aircraft with an overhead panel which is fundamentally unchanged since the B737s inception. Something to do with Southwest Airlines I believe. Oh yeah, no EICAS either, and that lovely stab trim wheel.

About the only "new" toy is the Heads Up Guidance System (HGS), which I believe isn't even standard (except on the Boeing Business Jet). :

but but what about the new wing -with those pointy things on the end- and and those toilets that sux but not flush.-and and that bigger landing gear-and those video screens in the FD -and the wtres+ smyd1 -smyd2 --:{ :{ :{

Yes... truly "Next Generation"