PDA

View Full Version : First Job Experience

-_HowUdoiN_-
13th Jun 2006, 00:23
Hey,

Just wanting to know of people's first job experience, like how they went about it, how long did it take, what did they do in the meantime, what other qualifications did they get... The good and the bad...Especially up north which is where i'l be heading

Cheers

Tagneah
13th Jun 2006, 00:55
My first Job was selling the Footy Record and the Footy. Started out without a little stand, just me out in the elements. As my experience grew I got onto a little stand painted white. It provided a little bit of shelter especially on those days when the hail came in horizontal. I didnt just walk into the job either. I had to prove my worth by dragging bundles of Footy Records around for the more experienced people.They had been there for ages. Very sour chaps. I didnt get paid for draggin the piles around. There were heaps of others out there who wanted my job I was told. So I shut up. Couldn't do much else. Many times I tried hard to understand what the fans were saying to me. Alot of the time they were quite intoxicated on Ladyindaboat or off on a Green Can Dream. They didnt believe in deodarant either. The experience I gaind was invaluable. Out there in the remote outer of the ground,you really had to deal with the problems when they came up. Im now selling Papers on the corner in a major capital city. Only have to work a few days a month too. I look back on those days fondly.

Tag

disco_air
13th Jun 2006, 02:33
Brilliant analogy, Tag, Brilliant!

Over and gout
13th Jun 2006, 03:00
Tag that was hilarious :ok:

R.Cruizo
14th Jun 2006, 02:57
HowUdoin,
Check your PM 's

R.Cruizo

-_HowUdoiN_-
15th Jun 2006, 01:22
Cruizo,

There was no msg's... Could you send it again

Thanks

iceblock
15th Jun 2006, 07:55
Of course there was no messge!! R.Cruizo was building up your hopes and then crushing them like a you would an empty Vb can!! Very satisfying. He is merely preparing you for the rigours of GA. If you feel you want more of this treatment sign on the dotted line!!

"This poster accepts no responsibility for misleading statements and did not mean to misrepresent the views or intentions of previous posts, it's just how it looks - sorry"

THE IRON MAIDEN
15th Jun 2006, 08:47
I just landed my first job..:D It's only taken me a few months.. and yes I am aware that I was very lucky.. Right place Right time!
I didn't know a friend of a friend or someones dad...
All I did though was answer every single job that was posted on the net.. try the afap website and aviation trader. Also I sent out a whole bunch of letters (which everyone does) but who knows. The day a pilot leaves might be the day your letter is on their desk!
Other than that, you just have to keep trying, I got a fair few, "not enough hours" "nothing right now, we'll keep you on file" and so on. But it's just a matter of sticking with it
I've been lucky thus far, my job is on a heavy single and it's got pretty good conditions. But I think there are some sharks out there..
Anyway mate, good luck!

Mr Porter
15th Jun 2006, 08:58
hey iron man

thats great buddy. good on you. where did you score the job at??? which company???

congrats again mate

TurbineDreamer
15th Jun 2006, 08:59
-_HowUdoiN_-

Go north and base yourself somewhere, preferably northwest.
Move there early Jan (In the wet season), get what ever work you can (bar work, cleaning etc) and hit all the operators. Also hit them all before you go up.
Also timing has alot to do with it, not sure how many low hour pilots you would be competing with, but my guess is **** loads. I qualified early 90's (A REALLY BAD TIME TO BE LOOKING FOR A FLYING JOB - Early 90's), and it took me nearly 5 years to get a full time gig, and it ended up being up there.

Wanderin_dave
15th Jun 2006, 09:39
While i have a few more hours, around the 800 mark, i can second Iron Maiden's comments.
I sent out a whole bunch of resumes a couple of months ago, applied for a job i heard of on this very website and applied for a job in the AvTrader.
I got the job from the AvTrader, was called twice for the job i heard of on here after i had turned it down and just today received a call from the resumes i sent out. It's not a bad position to be in, i really like the job i'm in, but the call today was from a company with a good reputation and with the always appealing bigger and better aircraft.
Trust me i'm not that employable, jobs really are out there and come februaryish when people are hiring up north there will be even more. Just keep sending out the resumes and keep looking. Jobs tend to come up at pretty short notice and yep you do have to be lucky, but it seems people who are persistant, available and have the right attitude always seem to be a lot luckier. In the mean time get experience in a job you can take anywhere, turbine dreamer named a couple, my choice was fancy hotels, hospitality work is ALWAYS going in EVERY town.
It's not all doom and gloom in this industry. Yep the money is SH!T, though decent money can be made with a little bit more luck. And yep, you will have to leave friends and family behind, grow a very thick skin and all the rest that is constantly played out on these forums. BUT you will meet some great people, see some great places and do some seriously fun flying.
I thought i was getting a bit older and more jaded with this industry, but obviously i'm still be a newbie, i still enjoy it!

R.Cruizo
15th Jun 2006, 13:28
HowUdoiN,
Disregard IceBlocks comments, the system did'nt recognize your user name so I could'nt PM you. I'll try again.

IceBlock,
I would'nt crush a VB can let alone drink the stuff!!!

R.Cruizo
15th Jun 2006, 13:41
HowUdoiN,
Sorry mate, no good. The system just doesn't reccognize your user name. If you like, PM me with an alternative E-mail address, I'll see if I can be of help.

Cheers

RC

-_HowUdoiN_-
16th Jun 2006, 04:44
Thanks heaps everyone for your replies and advice!

HowUdoiN