PDA

View Full Version : Fried my BIOS

Richard Spandit
12th Jun 2006, 23:21
Botched a BIOS upgrade today and the computer won't start. Not looking for solutions, as have ordered a new BIOS chip.

Yes, I've tried resetting the CMOS using the jumper
Yes, I've tried taking the battery out
Yes, I've tried letting the computer boot with a floppy disk with a specially written AUTOEXEC.BAT

No, I won't be doing it again... probably...

Conan the Librarian
12th Jun 2006, 23:47
I know I am a coward, but for the manly, brave and expensive stuff, I have to be honest. I let somebody else do it.

Conan

DBTL
13th Jun 2006, 01:33
You can actually physically remove the BIOS chip once the system has started. I've used a PC as a generic programming device by inserting another chip into the BIOS socket "on the fly" and running the BIOS flashing software. That's manly, I trust, but I also have a separate programming device.

Richard Spandit
13th Jun 2006, 09:18
I've heard that that is possible - will try it as I'm sure it's just the fact I've corrupted the data and not the actual hardware. PITA, though...

DBTL
13th Jun 2006, 13:58
If you're going to use an older PC for the programming purpose, it might be safer to use an older "borrowed" chip that does not have the protected sector (block) feature. You'll have to check the capacity, naturally.

BOFH
13th Jun 2006, 20:24
Richard,

I have used the chap at flashbios.org. IIRC he is based in the Netherlands. It cost 10 Euros oplus postage about three years ago and worked perfectlz.

Best of luck
BOFH

Richard Spandit
14th Jun 2006, 11:04
I've sent off for a new chip from http://www.biosflashuk.com/ Cost a tenner for the chip and 6 quid for the extractor tool (I'd only break the chip otherwise). Will be using the same computer to program the old chip once it's running again...

Watch this space!!

Conan the Librarian
14th Jun 2006, 12:28
Good Luck Richard.

Conan

Richard Spandit
16th Jun 2006, 14:08
Thanks, Conan. Got the chip back today and it worked, which is a relief. Haven't tries hotswapping the chips yet to reprogramme the old one back. Hasn't actually fixed the problem I was trying to solve by updating the BIOS in the first place