View Full Version : Alouette

ENG OUT
14th Jul 2000, 23:46
I'm trying to find a copy of an SE313B ALOUETTE 2 FLIGHT MANUAL(in English)Can anybody help out?

Multp
15th Jul 2000, 01:09
May be able to help you. Will email.

FLIR
16th Jul 2000, 20:04
E-mail on the way - should have what you need!!

whatsarunway
17th Jul 2000, 01:50
very hard to get
i have a lama P.O.H.

different tail and engine is the only difference i think!!

post me if you need it!

Capn Notarious
27th Mar 2002, 19:26
Regarding the terrible shooting in Paris.. .Iff Im allowed to mention CNN; there is a photograph on todays web site.. .It appears to be an Alouette; landing in a street at night.. .A good image recorded: of a shocking scenario.. .Comments anyone?

Pat Gerard
29th Mar 2002, 10:10
It is an Alouette III operated by the " Securite Civile " . All their Alouettes are soon to be phased out.

Jed A1
29th Mar 2002, 17:30
Single engine over a city at night!. .. .Different freedoms! JAA, CAA, FAA, never ceases to amaze me.

Special 25
29th Mar 2002, 21:24
I too was amazed to see the Allouette landing in amongst lamp posts in a city street at night - Rather them than me.. .. .Apologies for going slightly off the thred, but can anyone remind me of the current rules (UK) of flying VFR at night. My understanding of CAA ops was that there is no VFR at night only Special VFR under which rules I have flown many times. The problem comes that SVFR only exists in controlled airspace so how do people get around that rule to fly single engine helicopters at night outside of controlled airspace. For that matter, under what rules was Mathew Harding's helicopter flying when it crashed (1996 I think) flying from Coventry to Heathrow at night in a Twin Squirrel but without an IFR rated pilot ?

3top
2nd Jul 2003, 10:07
Hi all,

just got put in the driver seat of an old (actually at less then 2500 TT, a rather new French Lady...) Alouette III, Ex Spanish Airforce, now in private hands.

I wonder if there is anyone on Rotorheads who has a couple of hours in this helicopter!

3top
:cool:

Fortyodd
2nd Jul 2003, 18:01
Did my High mountain course in one. Very stable machine, very reliable. Not the fastest machine on the planet but great fun all the same:D

idle stop
2nd Jul 2003, 21:18
I have a few hundred hours on type, mostly instructing, from a few years ago, but remember it well. A fine machine and very nice in the mountains. E-mail me if you want to discuss.

3top
2nd Jul 2003, 23:31
Thanks for the replies!

Idlestop: Please send me a reply to [email protected]

I could not send you an e-mail via PPRUNE as you specified in your personal reference, that you would not like to receive e-mails this way!

Anyone else!

3top

JFDI
3rd Jul 2003, 00:12
Any views or opinions about the Alouette II ? A bit older but seems a good solid machine, similar attributes to Scout/Wasp?
Reliable? Safe? Safe in inexperienced hands?

Thanks in advance...:ok:

3top
3rd Jul 2003, 03:58
JFDI: I am not familiar with the Alouette II, but a friend of friend is flying a Lama as a cropduster in Costa Rica. Obviously the Al II has the same turbine as the SA316-Alouette III had - a Turbomeca Artouise or so, roughly 500 hp.

The SA 319B Alouette III and the Lama have a Turbomeca Astazou or something like that with around 800 hp. I understand that the max gross weight did not go up a lot but the high altidude capabilities are tremendous on the "new" engines (....these things are roughly 35 years old!!). The Lama and the Alouette III are pretty much matched speedwise. The Alouette I fly (mainly as a Safety Pilot for the private owner) has metric speed indication and redlines at 220 km/h. I consider the fixed landing gear on the Lama an advantage, as the 3 wheels on the Alouette III and the 3 blade rotor take a lot of attention or you are in ground resonance in a blink of the eye!

I am waiting to hear from Idle Stop...

3top

t'aint natural
3rd Jul 2003, 06:05
Funny story...
Two Dollar Alouette IIs crashed close to each other at around 11,000 feet in the Andes.
One, slightly heavy, just ran out of puff at the wrong time.
The other? Well, the insurance company insisted on a photograph of the wreckage...
True.

OopsNearly
3rd Jul 2003, 14:56
Flew the Alouette III 316 and Lama in Iran, about 3000 hours and the 319 in Indonesia. For me it was one of the safest helicopters I have flown, it just oozed confidence. We had over 36 of them and in the 5 years I was in Iran we only had only 2 engine failures, and in one of them the engine was restarted on the ground (an engineer was on board) and returned to base.

We used them for everything including sling, building power lines between 10,000 and 15,000 ft, siesmic, crew changes, offshore and they did not miss a beat. We even had landings on the top of Damavand at 19,000 ft with a passenger who was going to jump off and hang glide back down, plus photo shoots etc.

I have never come across ground resonance mentioned with the Alouette III before and I found the 3 wheels very handy in the mountains for some of the landings on pinnacles with the wheels either side, no place for a skidded aircraft. I have the photo's to prove it!

Those were happy days.

3top
4th Jul 2003, 01:05
OOPS:

Thanks for the response!

About the ground resonance, I guess it is me then. I only got it twice within the first 40 min in this aircraft ever, landing on a hard surface trying to set it down smooth. It did not fully develop, but it started. Solution was to dump the collective fairly quickly on the landing. The POH states to pick it up and set it down "without hesitation". At this point I have only 7 hrs in "La Francesa", as the owner calls it affectionally.

Your comment on landing on pinacles with 3 wheel gear has merit, rememering how often it is necessary to reposition with skids to get acceptable skid contact in this occasions.

I am not so confident as you yet, to me it is still a strange bird.
How tolerant is it on play in the many joints and connections, like TR-pitch-bearings, etc.

Specific question: .
Is the A III a bit sticky on the pedals, especially in hover?

To the engine failure:

It seems Aerospatiale was very confident in their product:
The POH states under emergency procedures:

"Apart from fuel supply failure, engine flame out in flight can only result from mishandling of the controls by the pilot: closing of fuel shut off cock, actuation of engine selector switch when fuel flow control lever is in closed position."

There is another question to this: No one could answer it around here. If you actuate the engine selector switch when the fuel flow control lever is fully engaged, will the engine flame out or not?

I consider this a vital info as the engine selector switch is right there in the middle of the panel and could be moved fairly easily by accident.

Thanks for your time guys!

3top

Lama Bear
4th Jul 2003, 07:27
Ground resonance:

The Alouette is not quite as suseptable to ground resonance as the Lama but they share many of the same causes.

1. Improper greasing of the main rotor grips...If done wrong ithis can force grease past a seal and fill the grip putting the M/R system out of balance. The best test for this is to tap the grip with a metal object. A wedding ring works fine if you are so equipped. A normal grip will have a clear ring to it while the grip with grease will not.

2. Blade spacing cable mounts are not free.....Check to make sure they are lubricated and pivot freely.

3. Improper inflation of the shock struts....make sure they are right and equal. Same goes for the tires.

4. A weak or bad dampner..... drain, refill and bleed. Check the timing on them and make sure there is no air in them. This is an over night procedure.

5. Proper tension on the fuel tank support straps....Check their tension and security. This is more important than you would think.

Most ground resonance problems relate to one or a combination of these factors. However pilot technique is important. some pilots always seemed to have problems while others seldom did. Play with the pedals a little while your on the ground. Loading or unloading the tail rotor can affect resonance.

I'll try and remember some more. I haven't flown one since 1997 and my memory was the 2nd thing I lost.

Sticky pedals

The pedals should be smooth through their full range of travel. The most common problem are the "stack bearings" located in blade grips. There are three in each grip. They are the feathering bearings in this system. They can be installed upside down, causing problems, and they do wear out. The most I ever heard of from one set was 600 hours of heavy use. More common, with a GOOD mechanic was 400 hours. Usually the 1st indication was called "notching". The tail rotor would develope a resistance to pitch change that the pilot had to push through. Once past this area they again became smooth and easy. The mechanic could rotate the stack bearings and nurse a few more hours out of them but it was time to order new ones.

There is a hyd dampner on the tail rotor system located under the floor that has a quaint French name (whodaily???) that I can't remember now. It was very rare to have problems but it could also cause the resistance you talk about.

Now for the easy one. If the fuel flow is fully engaged it has passed a micro switch mounted on the fuel flow assy. It's called the two thirds micro switch and it's purpose is to prevent electrical engine shut down. If I am not seriously wrong, the big red "cherry" light on the panel is wired to this switch. I am away from my fight manual but I'm sure the check list calls for a check of the 2/3 switch prior to take off. If the flight manual doesn't call for this check you should do it anyway. I do know that every Allouette and/or Lama pilot I worked with checked it. Fully engage the fuel control and turn the switch off. Nothing should happen. If it does the 2/3 micro swtch is at fault.

Here's an interesting little foot note. You need at least 17-18 volts to shut the engine down. Less voltage than that will not operate the electric fuel cock. I once ferried one home with out a generator. By the time I got to the hanger I only had 15 volts and could not shut the engine off until I used the manual fuel shut off. This was done to completely remove the overly complex start system from interfering with engine operation.

When I went to Lama school in 1976 Turbomeca bragged that there had NEVER been an inflight Artouste III failure. Of course at that time all engines were sent back to France for overhaul. As soon as they let an un-named engine shop in the US overhaul the engines that record fell.

The Alloutte and Lama both require an EXPERIENCED mechanic. I CAN'T STRESS THIS ENOUGH!!! The machines can make 200 max power lifts a day, day after day, with the right mechanic and a steady supply of spares. However a pristine machine can be a flying junk pile in a 100 hours with out the right maintenance. The easy part is, what the manuals say is what to do and use. If some of the tolerances seem sloppy don't worry about it. If they are within specs they are good. You just have to keep a close eye on them as the machines are dirty (grease, 10 wt oil, 90 wt oil, and turbine soot) and this accelerates wear. Use PLENTY of lubricants, they're not that hard to clean and the components will last much longer.

If you have any thing else I would be more than happy to try and answer what I can. I just won't be able to access my books until I get back to the US the middle of the month. One of the best French mechanics I ever worked with is working down in Chile right now. How far are you from there?

Have a great time! They are great machines, built to work hard!!

Jim

Captain Lai Hai
4th Jul 2003, 11:35
Nice post Lama Bear

I don't think there is any other helicopter that arouses the passion like a Lama
fly safe

cpt
4th Jul 2003, 21:23
A lot as been said so far .
It is 100% true good experienced enginners are needed...also take care of spares and make sure you can track their origin (specialy on Alouette 2)
Artouste and Astazou engines are very reliable, but since a few years they have been experiencing failures that never happened before, as airframes, they are becoming old and the overhauling personal is coming of "another generation"
By the way the yaw damper under the cockpit floor is called "houdaille" (not sure of the spelling)

But what a fun to fly a long line in a Lama without doors !!!!

whatsarunway
5th Jul 2003, 19:52
What about the company in the alps who had a bunch of those lamas and decided to up date their fleet , so they tried the as350b3 , then the 407 then the ec130 , but nothing could match the lama for lifting at ten thousand feet.
Quite a machine.:)

3top
5th Jul 2003, 22:02
Gentleman!

Thank you VERY much for all the info, especially to LAMA BEAR!

I will forward all of this to the owner of "LA FRANCESA".

Especially the part of the "experienced" mechanic will cause some thinking, as there are non available around here (eperienced yes, but not on the Lama or A III). We just have to go by the manual...............for now.

If something more comes up I will be right back on!

Thanks again,

3top

:ok: :D :D :D

cpt
6th Jul 2003, 00:23
Whatsarunway, I don't know this company's name but generally speaking , pilots and engineers who where operating Lamas and are now on B3' , prefer the B3, I have heard engineers admitting that the B3 had "changed their life"! it is also much more economic to operate.

Lamas and Alouettes indeed require a lot of maintenance in comparison....I don't have a lot of mountain flying experience, but rather on seismic jobs....and I should admit I still prefer Lamas and Alouettes when I have the choice...I feel the B3 not really designed for tough aerial work and no so "pilot friendly" it also lacks the versability we can get on an Alouette 3 If sling payloads are much better with the B3, they vary a lot with density altitude, and when we have to change the configuration very often (internal cargo, camp moves, stretchers, passengers, sling etc...) I find the B3 becomes more like a nightmare....but I've never liked the "squirrels" very much, too much rubbish plastic and unreliable electrical circuits!

Lama Bear
6th Jul 2003, 00:48
3top De Nada! One more word of caution. The Alouette is VERY easy to get into settling with power (RVS). For me the usual scenario is lightly loaded, a too fast, too steep approach, and a slight tailwind. I come in like a big assed bird, pull some power to slow down and there it is! The large amount of reserve power is very condusive to luring me into a sloppy approach. The recovery is simple but it must be immediate. A quick move of the cyclic to the two o'clock position has always done it for me. Watch out for this, it will put some skid marks in your shorts!

If the machine is not to be used commercially the available mechanics should be able to keep it in good shape using the manuals. The owner really should consider bringing in an instructor. The money spent will be saved many times over just in trouble shooting the start system!!

As far as the discussion of the new French girls compared to old French girls, if the job is lots of presision long line and short flights I prefer the old girls. They are MUCH easier to long line out of. I consider the Astar to be the hardest helicopter for me, even more so than the Bell mediums. I can't seem to use the vertigo window and even with the collective extension it's a long way out the door.

However if the speed and range of the Astar can be utilized it is my hands down favorite. The old girls are always looking for fuel. 60 gallons an hour at low elivations is a lot of fuel. I consider the AS350B-2 to be a Lama in a cashmere coat. I haven't had the opportunity to fly a B-3 yet.

rotorboy
6th Jul 2003, 10:30
The name of the above mettioned company is Air Zermatt

www.air-zermatt.ch (http://www.air-zermatt.ch)

if your looking for support/parts:

www.helisupport.com (http://www.helisupport.com)

RB

cpt
7th Jul 2003, 02:03
Another feature, beside settling with power (a few hairaising experiences !) with Alouettes 3's is the aft Cof G when only a pilot and almost a full tank....in this configuration the tail is very low on hover , here we have to remember that this big tail rotor is close to obstacles (bushes, logs ....) and not very well protected by its guard (aluminium tube). If i remember well, when the pilot alone on board weights less than 65 Kgs, a balast is advised.
Take also care of the fuel gauge...normally, you should have the "3 minutes left" flashing red light modification, this is independant of the fuel gauge wich was the cause of a number of accidents in the 80's ( this actually happened to me at 400 feet with a non modified system... a successfull autorotation followed, but I was lucky :p ; the empty tank was at a good 150 liters reading !!!)....After that I had calibrated a dipstick and got used of assessing the fuel level in the tank by a direct look inside (we can see the level above 300 liters, against the holes in inside separation wall)
Anyway, when thinking about all of this, I realize I miss her

:)

3top
7th Jul 2003, 23:02
CPT: I appreciate your advice on the settling with power and the fuel, I will check on that one immediately!!

For all of you who gave me all this invaluable info, there she is,

LA FRANCESA!

http://homepage.mac.com/helipilot/PPRuNe/beautifulalouette.jpg

3TOP

:D

Shawn Coyle
9th Jul 2003, 05:40
I have not flown the machines, but did get involved in the accident investigation of a crash in Romania that killed 6 British tourists.
The only plausible explanation for the crash was that the fuel sample that was taken was done with the aircraft in a 5 to 7 degree nose down (estimated) attitude, due to the slope where it was staying. The fuel sample showed no water, but the engine failed shortly after the aircraft started to decelerate and descend (i.e. when the nose came up).
Moral - make sure you keep the helicopter (all helicopters) on a level surface if you want to make sure you get the water to go to the sump.
The otherwise reliable engine had stopped prior to the aircraft hitting the ground...

Gunship
1st Jun 2004, 09:28
Good morning guys,

I have flown Alo III 316's and 316B for 25 years.
Now we have a 319B and what a pleasure she is.
I just have a question.
According to the flight manual it uses the same procedures as a 316 when it comes to the booster pump and fuel flow pressure light.

That means you run the booster pump for 20 seconds before starting , make sure that the fuel oozes out and more importantly see that the yellow fuel pressure warning light goes out.

Well our "yellow fuel low pressure light" has been blanked off and a "Not in use" sticker stuck on it. :hmm:

I am not impressed as even I am sure a modification would NOT have taken a fuel pressure light out ???

Please also help me ... what does a "G" check entail ?

All the best and many thanks for the help that will stream in (anything will help please)

Keep the revs up ;)

Cheers,

Gunsss

Autorotate
1st Jun 2004, 09:32
Guns did you get my email to your sierratel email address.

Autorotate. :E

Gunship
1st Jun 2004, 11:22
Hi Auto,

No sorry - we "lost" al mail again somewhere in the past 2 weeks and I was waiting for an answer from you - so please re-send.

If it was an e-mail from today's question also a negative. I am online but no mails yet from you ?

Cheers and tx

Gunsss

Autorotate
1st Jun 2004, 20:05
Guns - Check your PMs.

DualDriver
2nd Jun 2004, 11:07
Guns

A shot in the dark here, but have you tried contacting Denel?

DD

Gunship
2nd Jun 2004, 13:56
Thanks DD,

I will try my contacts there.

But I do not think they are 319B's as they should be ex SAAF 316's or what ?

Thanks for the repsonse.

Cheers,

Gunns

DualDriver
2nd Jun 2004, 14:29
HI Guns

Just chatted to an engineer on type (319B).
That Booster Pump light should not be Blanked out, even IF some sort of mod has been done. As you well know, there would then be no indication of failure. Technically speaking the aircraft should be u/s until the light is sorted.

Hope that's of some help to you. Send me a PM and I can put you in contact with the Engie.

Cheers
DD:ok:

Gunship
2nd Jun 2004, 14:44
Many thanks DD,

Just mailed the previous owners and awaiting their answer.

We can not fly in the man time as we had a booster pump failure ( I heard it going before start up) ... sounded like their was grinding paste inside :D

Many thanks for your help DD

Cheers,

Gunnss

OlliBlue
24th Sep 2004, 11:22
Hi,

A good friend of mine is interested in buying an Alouette II, ex-army France.
It has 1000 hours remaining on all parts.

He flew one in perfect weather conditions, and was just wondering what it's like in bad weather.

In short, anyone want to share his/hers experiences in this helicopter ?

Kind Regards,

Oliver

md 600 driver
24th Sep 2004, 16:52
one of friends has a ex french one its flys very good and its also got the gazelle engine not the artouste

pm me if you may want to speak or i can give you his email address

steve

cpt
24th Sep 2004, 18:14
Hello OlliBlue,

In my opinion, Alouette 2 are also good when the weather is not perfect, wind, poor visibilty or night VMC.
Althought I have never experienced this myself, I have heard that sometimes, at cruise speed and close to maximum weight, when flying in strong turbulent wind, we might encounter a non controlled smooth nose up together with a right bank. To recover from this, it was advised to gently reduce the power.
This was explained as beeing a momentary retreating blade stall.
I also find that, as on most of helicopters, handling caracteristics vary a lot with the weight.
I personally prefer the "aztazou" engine version (SA 318 or 3180 ) , althought the engine is more fragile than the "artouste" , it's less thirsty in regard of fuel, the clutch on this version allows you to keep your rotor stopped with engine on iddle.
High skidds are a good option, since the tail rotor is a bit low to my taste.
Also, pay attention to maintenance and spare parts since I believe that a fair amount that should have been discarted are still on the market.
Before buying an Alouette myself I surely would make it expertized by an expert.

Buitenzorg
24th Sep 2004, 23:47
Compared to modern aircraft:

Slow.
Noisy.
Guzzles fuel.
Loads of (routine) maintenance.
Great visibilty.
Very fun to fly.
Reliable if all that routine maintenance is done.

Gunship
22nd Oct 2004, 11:46
Good morning Rotorheads,

I am urgently looking for an Alouette III 319B clutch.

Can anyone urgently help please ?

Kind regards and best wishes.

Gunssss

alouette
24th Oct 2004, 07:46
Hi,

Have you tried to contact some Alouette operators in Switzerland? Air Glacier in Sion comes to my mind since they operate a few. If this lead is not promising maybe try to contact Air-Zermatt and they might able to guide you into the right direction, because they operated two 319's in the past. :ok:

Gunship
24th Oct 2004, 12:58
Many thanks Alouette - we will try them first thing tomorrow morning.

Do you perhaps have any contact details ?

Many thanks in advance,

Gunssss

alouette
24th Oct 2004, 15:58
Ok, I think the chief engineer at Air-Zermatt is Rene Lauber and he is based in Raron. As mentioned they don't operate them anymore but I think it is a solid lead to get a clutch from somewhere. Just in case I provide you also with the number of the heliport in Zermatt

Heliport Zermatt
Tel. +41 27 966 8686

Heliport Raron
Tel. +41 27 935 8686

I don't know Air Glacier personally but here is the number of the heliport in Lauterbrunnen and Sion.

Air Glaciers SA, Lauterbrunnen, Heliport, CH-3822 Lauterbrunnen
Telefon +41-33 8 560 560 Fax +41-33 8 560 566
e-mail : [email protected]

Air Glacier Sion Tel: +41-27 329 14 15, Fax: +41-27 329 14 19

Maybe Air Glacier got some contacts to the french gendarmarie. They operated SA 319's but they started to phase them out and replace them with EC 145's.

Sure hope this helps let me know.
:ok:

SASless
24th Oct 2004, 16:25
Geo-Seis Helicopters in Fort Collins, Colorado....

geoseis.com

lamanated
26th Oct 2004, 14:56
give joe at helicraft in canada a ring,Someone in Oregan I think bought the one we had and he has rebuilt several that operate in alaska.Joe might know his name.
[email protected]

cpt
26th Oct 2004, 16:19
Hi Gunship,

I know that Air Affaires Gabon has operated an SA 319 some time ago, maybe do they still have some spares. The chief engineer here is Gilles Grelaud and the manager M. Viallaret . They are based in Libreville (Gabon) but I don t have their contact here.

Somebody else who could help is M. Rommet René of "Heli Secours" based in Annecy in France, he owns a good supply of Al 3 spares but mainly SA 316 B
Phone ; 00 33 4 50 27 22 45
Fax; 00 33 4 50 27 39 94 ( don t know their mail )

Good luck !

Buitenzorg
26th Oct 2004, 22:31
Gunns,

Contact Roberts Aircraft, also in Ft. Collins, Colorado. THE Alouetten and Lama shop in the USA. If they can't help you...

Best of luck.

Choppersquad
5th Feb 2005, 19:01
can anyone tell me what do they think of the alloutte two
performacnce max vne
operating costs
when was the last one made
are parts expensive or hard to get.
is there an alloutte two club web site
is the lama the same machine.
how safe are they .

thanks for your imput .

cs

Rotorbee
5th Feb 2005, 21:27
We called them fuel to noise converters.
There are some alluette II flying in switzerland. Verein für Exotic & Antique Flying Machines in Speck/Fehraltorf has one and Air Glaciers in Sion. Ask them what they think.
The Lama is more or less an alluette II with an alluette III dynamic system. A almost totaly different machine.
Parts are harder and harder to get.

Choppersquad
7th Feb 2005, 19:38
thanks
rotorbee
i will look them up.

cs

Curtis E Carr
8th Feb 2005, 11:14
Having flown them for 500 hours in the military, I found them enormous fun. They have simple systems that work and starting the beast is simplicity itself. It is a sturdy machine and certainly got me out of one or two sticky situations. In the summer, we generally flew with doors off which added to the excitement, particularly when operating at 7000' at ISA+25-30!. I would certainly recommend the Lark as an excellent entry level turbine machine. I'm afraid that I cannot comment on running costs, parts availability etc as I have not flown them since.

Hope this helps.

tolipZO
9th Feb 2005, 05:39
Looks like an Alouette crashed in Argentine caught on news camera, all 3 survived and walked away from the crash. At least this crash news story about helicopters ends with good news.

Benet
9th Feb 2005, 11:21
Yes - I have pictures which I will link to when possible!

Benet
(with Reuters hat on)

Words here (http://rtv.rtrlondon.co.uk/2005-02-09/7e1128e.html) written by a colleague.

Sadly it doesn\'t look like we\'re going to host the pictures. Aircraft appears to lose power shortly after takeoff. There\'s a very badly-timed cut in the picture, but I don\'t think it ever gets above 20\' AGL. Attitude and heading appear controlled but it flies into the ground at a high forward speed with no attempt at a flare. Watching the impact makes me go \'oof\' every time... main rotor removes empennage, cockpit intact, some smoke but no flames after landing. Crew disembark looking dazed but running away from aircraft all the same.

Hope this helps...

AuxHyd
9th Feb 2005, 12:26
Looks like it's an Argentine Air Force Lama attempting to pull out the bodies of two pilots of a Cessna 340 that crashed a few days earlier during a cloud seeding operation.

http://www.lavozdelinterior.com/2005/0208/sucesos/nota303615_1.htm

flygunz
9th Feb 2005, 14:02
I would like to agree with Curtis; the Allouette that we flew in the med was a lovely machine to work with. Like him I can't really comment on operating costs but can confirm that spares are difficult to come by and may be expensive due to that. Max vne if I remember was somewhere around 110 kts but you would have to check that. Watch out for the floor mounted Emer fuel cut off right next to the engine governer/throttle!

Why not get a Scout, much more fun?

Curtis, send me a PM, sure we should know each other.

Buitenzorg
9th Feb 2005, 14:21
Fun to fly.
Slow.
No real handling vices.
Noisy.
Very reliable engine.
High fuel consumption.

In general a very reliable aircraft, BUT to achieve this reliability requires a lot of daily maintenance (greasing etc.) AND an engineer with lots of experience on type. There's a lot to know that isn't spelled out in the maintenance manuals.

And yes, parts are harder and harder to come by and expensive.

Curtis E Carr
10th Feb 2005, 06:45
We certainly do know each other, Gunz. Will call you on the dog.

All the best.

highfinal
12th Jun 2006, 21:37
Does anyone have a start up checklist for the SA-316/SA-319? Also any type quirks or peculiarities it would be worth knowing.

Would be greatly appreciated :ok:

md 600 driver
13th Jun 2006, 07:11
hi final if you dont get one quick i will photocopy the parts from the poh for the 316 but i cant for 2 weeks
steve

Gray 14
13th Jun 2006, 21:37
I've got around 1000 hrs on the Alouette III with the 319 gear box. What is it you want to know?

Starting is simple, engagement is modulated and throttle application to full RPM is common sense.

Mind, if the machine is empty aside from the pilot, and the fuel tank is full, it hangs VERY much right wheel low in the hover. Take offs and landings to and from the hover are an exercise in slope landing techniques.

At all up weight of 2200 kgs, it comes off the ground almost level.

Start up and shut down via the flight manual is enough.

A very user friendly and simple aircraft to operate.

Give us some more info you need.

Later,

John Eacott
14th Jun 2006, 00:16
HF,

I've scanned the start for the SA316B, you'll find it here. (http://www.helicopterservice.com.au/photos/pprune/SA316B%20start.pdf) Largish .pdf file, about 2.8mb.

:)

gyrotyro
17th Jun 2006, 06:30
Hi

I have a brand new POH for Alouette 313/316 series which I purchased from Aerospatiale recently when I was considering buying one. (Fuel consumption of 180/200 Lts per hour at 90 euro cents per litre finally put me off !)

You can have it for less than the new price if you wish.

email me for details.

Foggy Bottom
17th Jun 2006, 11:26
Dont ever go anywhere in an Alouette without a paperclip. You will need it to jump pins b&C to get it to start occasionally.

SASless
17th Jun 2006, 13:46
....along with the paperclip....be very boned up on the start procedure and indicator lights sequencing. Helps to figure out what is wrong as your battery will not do all that many start attempts before making like Twiggy.

For spare parts....there is an outfit in Colorado that does Lama's very well and has an in-house overhaul capability. They would be a good source for parts.

fixer2
13th Nov 2006, 06:56
Hi ppruners,
I am wondering if there is anyone out there that can tell me anything about alouette 3s. I have a few questions:
1. what is better SA319B or SA316C?
2. What are they like to fly?
I would love to hear any stories or info that any of you might have

Cheers

RINKER
14th Nov 2006, 11:52
Don,t know much about them myself but the irish Aircore have used them for over 30 years and i think they still do. I don,t know which versions though.Most likely the first real life heli I ever saw as I grew up in Dublin so maybe try to contact them
R.

spencer17
14th Nov 2006, 13:18
The 316 is with ArtousteIII engine and the 319 with Astazou engine.
AFAIK the Artouste has double TBO time then the Astazou.
It's not bery comfortable but good for working and very spacious. I have only about 100 hours on AL III (316) but I liked to do external load.
The Lama (same dynamic components) is even better for work.

Always happy landings
Spencer17

oldbeefer
14th Nov 2006, 13:39
Flew them for three years with the French Air force. Very pleasant to fly and much more powerful than the Alouette II (particularly in the Alps). The version we had was a bit quirky in that the altimeter was in meters, but the pitch calculator was in feet! We did a lot of EOLs and, to save the groundcrew changing too many T/R protector tubes, the clamp was only just nipped up so that, if the tail was struck, to tube would pop up into it's housing rather than be bent! The very small wheels were a bit of a problem on soft ground. 1500 hrs and some very fond memories.

check
14th Nov 2006, 14:02
I have over 3000 hours on the Alouette 111 with the Artouste 111B engine also includes the Lama and about 250 hours with the Astazou. The Artouste engine was very reliable although thirsty, 200 litres per hour while the Astazou was around 160 litres I believe. We operated from sea level up to the top of Damavand a 19,000 ft extinct volcano, and from below 0C degrees to +50C degrees.

Much of the work was sling often above 10,000 ft, also offshore from Sirri Island, Kharg Island, Lavan etc. The longest distance regularly flown was Bushere - Scan Bay - Bahrain and back something like 400 miles round trip. Never thought about the fact that it was single engine, so confident were we, or was it just the spirit of youth?

Our Alouette fleet flew around 2500 hours per month and in the five years I was there I only know of two engine failures. Neither resulted in any damage and in fact one was was restarted on the ground and flown back to base. They would also burn just about anything you put in the tank from jet fuel, diesel (used in remote areas where no jet fuel was available or in limited supplies) made a little smoke though and temperature limited in the winter. Petrol also, but was limited to 20 hours in the lifetime of the engine.

I found the Alouette good to fly, you could throw it all over the place, superb in the mountains, lots of power and easy to maintain. A pilot and engineer could go off into the bush for six weeks, fly up to 150 hours and all that was needed was routine daily maintenance.

Occasionally the engine did not want to start but the use of a little piece of locking wire to create a shunt, or re-positioning the T5-A relay switch would overcome the reluctance.

The question was which was the better helicopter the 316 or the 319. For myself it was the 316, it was a robust but thirsty engine and I had total confidence in it. The 319 was more economical but I never flew it long enough to feel as comfortable as in the 316 but that is not to say it was not as reliable.

Did I enjoy the Alouette 111, you better believe it.

gyrotyro
14th Nov 2006, 18:02
Hello

I have a brand new manual for an Alouette that I bought from Sud Aviation a few months ago when I was contemplating buying an Alouette.

Contact me if you wish to discus or let me have your number and i will call you back.

fixer2
20th Nov 2006, 06:10
Thanks for all the great stories guys much appreciated:D . Would love to hear more if anyone else has any. Its good to hear from those who know what there on about. A company i'm looking to work for is looking to buy an A3 or Lama so the info is appreciated

Cheers

Raven_22
25th May 2008, 23:13
I'm trying to find a copy of an ALOUETTE 2 FLIGHT MANUAL (in English or German, whether as .pdf, .doc, ...), resp. a start-up checklist for the beginning.
Can anybody help out? Thanks in advance!

bullshitproof
4th Feb 2009, 09:27
Could someone help me out with the service ceiling for the Aloet 318c (Astazou) please, and any performance specs for high altitude for this particular machine thank you.

Ian Corrigible
4th Feb 2009, 18:44
From an old brochure picked up eons ago:

At MGW & ISA, service ceiling is 10,900 ft, HIGE 5,160 ft and HOGE 2,950 ft. At ISA+20, HIGE falls to 2,750 ft and HOGE to 700 ft.

At 3,200 lb & ISA, HIGE improves to 9,400 ft and HOGE to 7,350 ft. ISA+20 is 7,200 ft and 4,950 ft, respectively.

At 2,800 lb, HIGE is 14,000 ft and HOGE 12,000 ft. ISA+20 drops this to 11,700 ft and 10,000 ft, respectively.

Max cruise at MGW & S/L is 97 kt, falling to 90 kt @ 6,000 ft and 73 kt @ 12,000 ft. At 3,200 lb, these figures improve to 99 kt, 96 kt & 87 kt. 2,800 lb takes them to 101 kt, 99 kt & 96 kt.

I/C

Bergboy
5th Feb 2009, 06:21
I'm looking for a Alouette III to buy, it must be a civilian machine not ex-military. Any one know of any or where I could try and source one?

Pandalet
5th Feb 2009, 07:56
Out of curiosity, are there still many reasonable Alouette 2s still being sold? I'd heard there were a bunch on the Hungarian register, something to do with other registries being sticky about ex-mil machines? Are the parts and servicing availability for private owners still workable?

md 600 driver
5th Feb 2009, 09:53
panalet

the hungarians ones are not "ex military" per say

they are all civil built helicopters with full easa cert of airworthiness or machines reconverted back to the civilian type data certificate as per eurocopter

Pandalet
5th Feb 2009, 14:24
Can the maintenance records be traced? That is, can a look at a reconverted aircraft's tech log, and be reasonably certain the the various necessary work has been done at the right times through it's life (inasmuch as one can ever do this from the tech log)?

For my own curiosity, what was the reasoning behind so many of these aircraft being registered in Hungary instead of the UK? Just the usual wish to avoid the high prices and massed beauracracy of the CAA? Or something more?

md 600 driver
5th Feb 2009, 18:51
some of these aircraft were on the uk caa register on public cat c of a but i guess the reason was high caa costs

ericferret
5th Feb 2009, 19:31
Does anybody know if the FAA's grounding of Alouette 2's for supposedly being ex military aircraft and not being eligable for a c of a been recinded or resolved?

500e
5th Feb 2009, 21:02
No and there are more than 2 now

enstrompilot
8th Feb 2009, 20:15
I discovered 2 x AL3's in indonesia

nice condition

may still be on the market

Price ?

enstrompilot
8th Feb 2009, 20:32
There have been several groups of 6+ al2's sold by the German army.

The last batch was sold mid 2008, typical prices for a fully working machine E160K, there are no more !

Hungary CAA has been willing to provide a full EASA CofA once 'civilianization' work is complete. overall machine cost E200K on the reg.

Hungary is a good reg for Helicopters.

Hungary CAA visit UK each year to sign off the Annual

Insurance is typically E800 (yes that right £ 600 ish)

You need a Hungarian airman's certificate and Hungary based training.

Maintenance can be done in UK by two UK based, Hungarian approved engineers - who are very experienced on AL2's - great chaps, reasonably priced.

Spares can be tricky, but I (and other al2 owners) build up stocks of parts and between us with have, so far, not had a problem. Clutches, pumps, some sensors are hard to find but not impossible. MR Blades will eventually be the limiting issue.

My machine (3 yrs - 200+ hrs) is Very reliable, a little thirsty (160 Ltr/hr), noisy but great to fly.

100+ Kts - 5 seats, 3hr endurance, loads of lift, no great vices.

I can't think of a better, low cost, turbine.

if you looking for one I know of 2 that may be for sale. if you want to see one 'in the flesh' come visit at eastbourne.

Ian

eride
19th Dec 2009, 01:47
Hi
New to the post. Does any one know or have info on Alouette II as a crop duster? How does it perform? any recurring maintenance issue etc. Also am looking for a POH as well as maintenance manuals for 318C in English, thanks in advance.

md 600 driver
19th Dec 2009, 09:06
the allouete 11 318 is used for crop dusting in hungary not sure about the 313

500e
19th Dec 2009, 10:17
[email protected]
Try Mike based in West Virginia

eride
19th Dec 2009, 17:21
thanks, any info on contacts in Hungary?

enstrompilot
19th Dec 2009, 17:35
hi

I have POH and full maintenance manuals for 318c and engine (also 313b)

in english and french !

what do you need ?

Ian

eride
20th Dec 2009, 01:27
enstrompilot
I am looking for both POH and maintenance & Overhaul manuals for Alouette II, send me an e-mail at [email protected] thanks

dushandimitrov
23rd Dec 2009, 13:22
Hallo, please send me FOM for Allouette and you have..., I need ASAP! I can send for you a any Enstrom280...I have FOM, Engine manuals... and more...forFX
[email protected]

nigelh
23rd Dec 2009, 17:26
Enstrom Pilot ....i am surprised at you with a name like that saying it is the best first turbine !! What about the 480B ? It costs almost nothing to maintain , v cheap spares and insurance , 5 seats (just) , almost half the fuel burn , longer endurance much faster (115kn)....AND very quiet !!! You can get a 4 to 5 year old one with only 5-700 hrs for under $500k . Best safety record in the industry and very easy to fly ....what more could you want ??

elro
23rd Dec 2009, 23:32
Hi im currently looking for parts for a 313B ship. Anyone with any....please pm me and we will go from there. Thanks

bolkow
24th Dec 2009, 09:17
I'd try the Irish Air Corps who I belive have their remaining seven lying up idle and stored after buying their newer hardward. Most have around the 8000 mark in terms of airframe hours accumulated over a 40 year period.

dushandimitrov
24th Dec 2009, 11:02
Please help, I need ASAP of FOM for Allouette2
Dushan

md 600 driver
24th Dec 2009, 12:43
bolkow
the irish ones were sold last year [ or earlier this year]

dushan
you sent me pm whats a FOM ?

elro
25th Dec 2009, 13:41
The Irish machines currently reside in northern France. They are stripped and the owner quoted a 25k price tag for just the airframe:hmm:

md 600 driver
27th Dec 2009, 08:30
i think he must live in a dream world 25k

enstrompilot
28th Dec 2009, 16:27
nigelH

you are spot on the 480B is a great machine !, shame that it has an allison engine (i heard its easy to spoil your day when starting) and shame only nearly 5 seats, a little sad the limited range and sader still that a 5 yr old one cost 500K (only ?)

agree re safety record and great to fly

alouette has more range, more lift, lower cost of ownerhip, lower purchase cost (£130-£150K), is old, ugly and noisey (and for a turbine slow ish), so not every ones first choice, but they are a turbine for piston costs (with turbine reliability and rugged engineering !)

I guess you pays your money and makes your choice !

what else would be a good first turbine ? whst if one has a thing against the Allison, what other choices ?

mtoroshanga
29th Dec 2009, 08:59
Just an aside, in the Air Force we would run our Alouettes on deisel from time to time, watch out for blocked fuel filter and torchigniters though.

rgalache
27th Feb 2010, 21:26
I´m looking for Alouette III SA316B maintenance manual.
Can anyone help?
Thanks,

Rotorgoat8
18th Dec 2010, 15:14
I just acquired an Alouette II (SE 3130) and would like some input on the rotor engagement proceedure. In & outs, common errors, etc. I think some of the translation in my Flight Manual is off a bit. Any help would be much appreciated.

TRC
18th Dec 2010, 15:44
The SE3130 with the Artouste engine has no rotor engagement procedure as far as I recall. The version with the Astazou engine (SA318?) has the ability to engage/disengage rotors with the engine running at idle like the Gazelle. The 3130 doesn't have this feature.

With the Artouste you just switch to 'marche', and it should all happen for you. I have a list of things to hit, tweak, dis-connect..... if it doesn't.

Rotorgoat8
18th Dec 2010, 15:49
This one most definitely has the engagement proceedure - same as the SA-318's. I have the Artouste C-6. Idles at 19K after start and runs at 34K after rotor engagement. Post Mod-871 clutch (dry).

Rotorgoat8
18th Dec 2010, 23:04
Thanks for finding Alouette threads and tying me in. I was a tech on the 318C in Alaska during the Pipeline construction in the mid 70's and we operated two of them. Reliability was unbelievable -- all we did was daily grease and oil T/R shaft bearings and polish the plexy, aside from the normal 25 & 100 hour inspections. Had a couple of start issues but "manually" tweaked the thermal switch on the start card until we could get a replacement card. The only "failure" I remember was one T/R pc link broke but the pilot did a run-on with no problems other than replacing the skid shoes. What was really nice in that country was the big fuel tank. We hauled many a Jet Ranger tech into the Bush to fix their machines but never had to ask the favor in return. That's probably part of the reason the FAA with a little nudging from Bell wants them off the Standard CoA. Bell didn't like them back then either (when Vought was the distributer). Anyway it's been 35 years and I could use a refresher on rotor engagement technique for those of you that have it a little fresher in your minds--see previous posts.

What Limits
18th Dec 2010, 23:55
You should message 'hihover', he has some recent alouette experience I believe.

alouette
19th Dec 2010, 04:00
One of the greatest aircraft ever built...and a legacy:ok:

Rotorgoat8
19th Dec 2010, 04:45
Thanks W L, I'll give him a shout.

500e
19th Dec 2010, 09:13
RG8
That is still winding it's way through the courts in the US I understand.
Expect they still cant explain the paper work or lack of :( strange how they let them fly All those years then :E

ericferret
19th Dec 2010, 10:04
I haven't seen it commented on elsewhere but at the Alouette 3 and Lama service clinic earlier this month Eurocopter announced they were intending to cease production of main rotor blades at the end of 2012. Didn't go down too well with the operators!!!!!

mtoroshanga
19th Dec 2010, 10:23
All the Alouettes have a centrefugal clutch that requires a procedure to ensure rotor engagement without burning out the clutch. I have been off them for many years but I seem to remember ground idle is about 1800 rpm and to engage advance fuel flow to 21000rpm then slowly advance as rotors start turning. I'm a bit wooly on it as Ive been off them since '75/76 but I do have 3130,3150,3160/316B,318C on my licence and Section L A,B and C on my CAA licence. Suggest you get the official procedure, getting a clutch repaired would be a pain in the ass these days.

helibuoy73
19th Dec 2010, 13:28
As I remember it, flew about 3 yrs back, engagement has to be achieved in 35 to 45 seconds (25 to 35 seconds in gusty winds).
Idling rpm should be 16,000 to 19,000 rpm. Advance FFCL slowly and gradually, note eng rpm at which rotor starts to rotate, start stopwatch. This is the ICE (Initial Clutch Engagement). Advance FFCL to get an increase of about 50degC of JPT. To obtain a steady engagement the rotor rpm should be 100 rpm at 15sec and 200rpm at 30sec. If lagging, advance FFCL slightly. Ideally, you should never have to retard FFCL (to avoid fast engagement) so better to increase lesser, crosscheck and advance more if required than advance too much.
See the rate at which rotor rpm is increasing and achieve FCE (Final Clutch Engagement) when the engine and rotor rpm needles mesh.
ICE should be less than 24,000 rpm. Initially it will be lower, about 21,000 for a new clutch and will keep increasing as the clutch wears out. Above 24,000 the clutch needs replacement.
Fast (<35sec) or slow (>45secs) engagement will cause the clutch to overheat and reduce the life in the least and cause it to break up at the worst.
After FCE, advance FFCL gradually, JPT will start reducing, accelerate to full rpm, 33,500 eng and 353 rotor rpm.
Happy flying and happy landings. I was an instructor on Alouette and enjoyed every minute of flying on both the Alouette and the Lama.:)

Rotorgoat8
20th Dec 2010, 05:47
Thanks, that was what I was looking for. You had Alouette III at the top of the post, was that info you sent for the A-III or A-II or are they close enough to have nearly identical parameters? Thanks again.

helibuoy73
20th Dec 2010, 08:52
Holds good for Alouette III. Have no idea about the Alouette II.

enstrompilot
22nd Dec 2010, 08:48
info provided by Helibouy is spot on

I have heard comment that once clutch is engaged allow engine/rotor RPM to continue until the RMP steadies a little higher than the engagement point (say 28000 rpm) then reduce the throttle a little let the RPM drop a tad, then continue to open the throttle to flight idle

another approach I have heard from 'old hands' is to cease advancing the throttle once engagement occurs, let the RPM increase to above the engagement point but just hold at RMP for (say) 10 sec before progressing further.

the explanation is that this helps the shoes in the clutch 'bite' and stops further slipping

it may add something or may be an 'old pilots tale', it seams it would do little harm (dont reduce RMP to the point where the engagement is lost) and anything that extends clucth life has to be good practice

I have been told a clutch will last 1000 hrs if handled carefully, overheating by excessively fast RPM rise burns out the shoes, signs are bubbled paint on Clutch and high initial engagegemnt RPM.

I heave heard of clutched being 6000 Euro, there is limited supply ( I have a few new spares) but clutches, like MR and TR blades anf TR heads are likely to be the life limiting components for the long term for AL2's

I hope this helps

Ian

Ricktye
22nd Dec 2010, 17:14
I agree with your sentiments 100% I don't think there was ever a more reliable helicopter than the SA 318C with the Astazou IIA engine that was ever built! Lots of time with them in the '70s also and other than the (very) odd electrical glitch starting in sub zero temperatures they never failed to amaze me. Everyone who spent any time with one at all in cold weather soon learned the "1 jumps over 2" trick for the cannon plugs on the P-2 switch, start valve etc.

One of the best analogies I ever heard was a half ton truck with rotor blades; reliable and solid! However they did like to drink fuel and the cost of engine overhauls was incredibly expensive. But they never quit and sure gave you a feeling of confidence in your aircraft, go any where, any time.

But still, probably my favorite helicopter of all time.

md 600 driver
23rd Dec 2010, 09:14
Ricktye

Please explain the 1jumps over 2 trick

Steve

gyrotyro
23rd Dec 2010, 10:14
I have a brand new Alouette POH in English that I purchased from the factory when I was considering buying one.

Please email me if anyone is interested.

md 600 driver
23rd Dec 2010, 10:21
what date is it ?
which model alouette is it for ?

steve

captyankee
24th Dec 2010, 00:28
I have the latest manuals for the SA319B. I have the new hard copy plus I scanned them into a PDF copy. The PDF copy is rather large but I have no problem sharing them, for free!

Ricktye
24th Dec 2010, 16:45
Hi Steve,

The old "1 jumps over 2 (to 3)" trick was used on various Canon plugs such as P-2 switch, fuel cock etc. into fooling the engine into thinking those components were working right and allowing you a "correct" start, especially in cold weather when condensation froze insdide them. Used to get home!

R...

Ricktye

Please explain the 1jumps over 2 trick

Steve

Rotorgoat8
1st Jan 2011, 19:22
Does anyone have wiring diagrams for the 3130? Are they supposed to be in the Vol 1 & 2 of the maintenance manual or in their own separate Volume?

rfonseca
5th Mar 2011, 23:00
Any place where I could find a good used turbine for my Alouette III 319?

Rotorgoat8
8th Mar 2011, 03:45
I'm looking for the small steps that go on the front high skid gear. Any sources??

Rotorgoat8
8th Mar 2011, 03:48
rfonseca

There's an outfit in Southern California that has a bunch of A-III's and parts. Try Wayne Fulton at Airborne Turbine Ltd., 805 594-0726. email is [email protected]

I talked to Wayne about a year and a half ago when I was looking at both the A-II and A-III. I recently got an A-II.

Nige321
14th Mar 2011, 21:28
Please could someone explain the purpose of the cables running between the blade grips on the Alouette/Lama series?

Thus:
http://www.modeltek.com/AlouetteHead.jpg

vfr440
15th Mar 2011, 06:12
N
They're called blade spacing cables, I believe and that's what they do basically; limit the amount of lead-lag of each blade, and the rate is controlled by the dampers.

Someone correct me if I've got that wrong? Thx ~ VFR

elro
15th Mar 2011, 18:25
That's exactly what they are, perfect explanation aswell vfr:ok:

Nige321
15th Mar 2011, 20:57
vfr

Thank you...:D

Nige

Rotorgoat8
22nd Mar 2011, 06:50
For those of you that have had military or civil training in the Alouette II can you run through the autorotation proceedures and hovering auto proceedures. Include whether or not you reduced or cut power and how you did it and re-established it. I'm also curious as to how a practice auto goes with no power reduction during the recovery. Specifically is there any engine stress (temp wise) during the power recovery? I'm not sure exactly what the title of this YouTube clip says but it's called "Piantate motore dall'overing elicottero SA313B". It's obvious they are doing hovering autos but not sure exactly who's doing what in the cockpit. Thanks in advance.

Rotorgoat8
24th Apr 2011, 05:42
Ahhh!!!?? Looks like my beloved Alouette thread has fallen off the thread pages again. Anyway, my Artouste II C-6 has decided not to start. All of the lights light correctly and I have done the atomization and spark checks = OK. I get about a 60-70 rise in EGT (T-4) but it hangs at around 100*C and the lights all stay on. Now I know I'm supposed to abort the start at around 10 seconds with no normal rise in T-4 but the clock is spinning and I'm looking at a lot of indications so I usually don't get is shut off until about 15-20 seconds. The book says look at the idle jet. Does anyone have experience that would suggest otherwise?

Note: I moved this thread to: Starting Problem Artouste C-6 for more specific input. Thanks to all who offered assistance.

sweatshop
3rd Sep 2011, 15:50
A bit random and I may be shouting at the traffic but much appreciated if someone can give me the blade tip width of the Alouette II (in mm if possible). Making some tie-downs and I've lost my tec file on this one:uhoh:

315B
18th Oct 2011, 21:15
This answer may be long overdue but better late than never...
Blade tip width for the Alouette II is 266mm :ok:

uxiuxi
19th May 2012, 11:44
I found your request for an Alouette manual in the forum.
Was your search successfull???
I urgently am looking for a flight manual for an Alouette II (serial no SN 1227, SUD AVIATION, SE 3130), which is hangared in South Africa and may be available for charter. With no turbine experience I'd like to see into the manual before I engage in a rating-process.
Thanks for your help in advance
Axel ([email protected]) :ok:

Colibri49
20th May 2012, 08:09
Try Base 4 Aviation | Cape Town Flight Schools | Western Cape Flight Schools (http://www.thepilotportal.com/cape-town-flight-schools/base-4-aviation.html)

The CFI is Frank Peters Hollenberg and he used to instruct on Alouette IIs and Alouette IIIs in the South African Air force. In fact I can personally assure you that he is one of the best, yet laid-back instructors on this planet.

If he can't source technical data for Alouettes himself, he'll almost certainly know someone who can.

Do yourself the biggest favour ever and go to get some instruction from him in Cape Town. A perfect gentleman of the old school and author of a fascinating little book "Helicopter Odyssey".

captyankee
20th May 2012, 13:49
Airborne Turbine is bad news. Stiffed a company in South Africa for a lot of money. Even stiffed his neighbor! FAA has been on him, he has legal actions going on. He gives this "Born Again Act" but don't fall for it. I have been there also.

Rotorgoat8
21st May 2012, 00:56
captyankee-----Are you currently flying an Alouette II or have access to one?

342 driver
22nd May 2012, 02:29
You should check your facts about the South Africa deal. Was it the SA341F2 or the AIII?

I have only heard good things about Wayne.

If that's true, please private msg me the details and I will check it out.

Thanks.

Rotorgoat8
22nd May 2012, 21:41
Does anyone have a source for a set of Maintenance Work Cards for the Alouette II?

jay_jay
29th May 2012, 08:39
Can anyone help me why t5 timer get easily cut off?

Rotorgoat8
29th May 2012, 16:54
Which aircraft? A-II, A-III or Lama. What engine? Artouste or Astazou. Can you describe what's happening during the start sequence? Light off vs. no light off. Are you getting the red "blockage" light?

malongo
12th Sep 2014, 11:30
Hi does anyone out there know where I can get a set of Alouette 319 maintenance manuals

md 600 driver
12th Sep 2014, 16:56
The 319 is covered in the 316 /3160 airframe manual and the engine in the astazou xiv/b for civil and XIV/f for ex mil

I have engine manuals and ipc in PDF and some airframe books but there not scanned

malongo
13th Sep 2014, 04:51
Hi MD 600 driver,

Is there any chance of downloading what you have and are there any charges involved.

md 600 driver
13th Sep 2014, 07:08
Please send email address by pm and I will download to Dropbox or similar for you

malongo
14th Sep 2014, 07:09
email address [email protected]

Benny81
8th Oct 2014, 03:02
Hello i'm new here and i locking for a Maintenance Manual , IPC , AD's , SB's
Engine manuals etc.etc for the Alouette II SE 3130 .

i looking also for a good source for some spare parts

Thanks

enstrompilot
11th Oct 2014, 17:05
hi

I have all manuals and fully up to date

how can I help

what parts are you seeking ?

CASHPAT
14th Oct 2014, 03:29
I ve a digital copy of alloutte 3.. if u need pl send email id. happy to help

Benny81
14th Oct 2014, 06:32
[email protected]

CromptonS
30th Dec 2014, 09:04
Would anybody perhaps know what kind of a difference the Air Intake ( In link below ) covers make for noise reduction? I have seen these covers on a few Lama's and was wondering if they could be fitted to a SE313O to assist with noise reduction? I am assuming they are for noise reduction, maybe they serve another purpose?

File:LAMA 315 B Air glaciers.jpg - Wikimedia Commons (http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:LAMA_315_B_Air_glaciers.jpg)

Thank you

gazzzza
1st May 2015, 17:14
Hi everyone
I hoping someone can help me here
Looking for a flight manual for a 1963 Alouette 2
Mainly after the startup card or sequence
Our dash is all in French so I also have no idea of what the conversion from French to English I have pictures if anyone can help
Thanks guys
Gary

md 600 driver
3rd May 2015, 19:59
Please send your email address by private message and I will send you the fm

Lifeguard1
27th Oct 2017, 19:27
I have an Alouette III 316 with the Artouste engine that is being refurbished for static display in a local air museum. the aircraft that we are trying to recreate requires some additional parts and modifications. If anyone is aware of the following parts, please contact me.

Tapered Main Blade Pin (p/n 3130S12-20-052-1)
Exhaust Nozzle Assy (p/n 3160S50-20-050-1)
Cabin Heat Connector - connects to exhaust nozzle, unknown part number - see image below
Clutch Unit Assy (p/n 3160S63-20-000-7)
Shaft, Free-wheel Coupling (3160S60-10-000-2)
Extended Steps (2) - left and right side, unknown part numbers - see image below
Artouste 111B Solid Air Intake Covers (2 not wire mesh) - left and right side, unknown part numbers - see image below

Also, if there are any manuals for the airframe or operations that exist in electronic form, those would be helpful as well.

Muddassir
29th Oct 2017, 10:05
OOPS:

.....Your comment on landing on pinacles with 3 wheel gear has merit, rememering how often it is necessary to reposition with skids to get acceptable skid contact in this occasions.

I am not so confident as you yet, to me it is still a strange bird.
How tolerant is it on play in the many joints and connections, like TR-pitch-bearings, etc.

Specific question: .
Is the A III a bit sticky on the pedals, especially in hover?
Yes, these can be with high time T/R hubs or after a long day in air, when all the grease in T/R sleeves has flown away.

To the engine failure:

It seems Aerospatiale was very confident in their product:
The POH states under emergency procedures:

"Apart from fuel supply failure, engine flame out in flight can only result from mishandling of the controls by the pilot: closing of fuel shut off cock, actuation of engine selector switch when fuel flow control lever is in closed position."
Extremely reliable,with my previous previous employer, we operated about 30 Alts and equal no of Lamas since 1971, only one engine failure, that too due to water contaminated fuel.

There is another question to this: No one could answer it around here. If you actuate the engine selector switch when the fuel flow control lever is fully engaged, will the engine flame out or not?
Above 28000 rpm and fuel flow lever full fwd, a micro switch disables engine selector switch

I consider this a vital info as the engine selector switch is right there in the middle of the panel and could be moved fairly easily by accident.

3top
:cool:[/QUOTE]

Lifeguard1
30th Oct 2017, 17:22
I have an Alouette III 316 with the Artouste engine that is being refurbished for static display in a local air museum. the aircraft that we are trying to recreate requires some additional parts and modifications. If anyone is aware of the following parts...

I received a response from user 315B, but was unable to respond because of your privacy settings and the direct email address bounces.

315B
30th Oct 2017, 18:40
I cannot send you a private message as I then get the following response: Lifeguard1 has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.

Lifeguard1
30th Oct 2017, 20:29
I cannot send you a private message as I then get the following response:
Strange. It's showing that I can in the preferences screen. You can use ssweeneyATlifeguard1DOTorg.

roger1x2003
1st Nov 2017, 13:51
I´m looking for Type Rating Alouette SA318 Training.
Can anyone help?
Thanks,

md 600 driver
1st Nov 2017, 18:35
QUOTE=roger1x2003;9943388]I´m looking for Type Rating Alouette SA318 Training.
Can anyone help?
Thanks,[/QUOTE]

Hidroplan Nord in Hungary

mtoroshanga
1st Nov 2017, 19:38
Yes, these can be with high time T/R hubs or after a long day in air, when all the grease in T/R sleeves has flown away.

Extremely reliable,with my previous previous employer, we operated about 30 Alts and equal no of Lamas since 1971, only one engine failure, that too due to water contaminated fuel.

Above 28000 rpm and fuel flow lever full fwd, a micro switch disables engine selector switch

3top
:cool:[/QUOTE]
A word of warning- in the '60s while demonstrating the 3160 to South African Air Force the French pilot selected the switch off and due to an electrical fault ended up on a traffic round about in Joburg!

pedroso
28th Sep 2018, 06:57
I have an Alouette III 316 with the Artouste engine that is being refurbished for static display in a local air museum. the aircraft that we are trying to recreate requires some additional parts and modifications. If anyone is aware of the following parts, please contact me.

Tapered Main Blade Pin (p/n 3130S12-20-052-1)
Exhaust Nozzle Assy (p/n 3160S50-20-050-1)
Cabin Heat Connector - connects to exhaust nozzle, unknown part number - see image below
Clutch Unit Assy (p/n 3160S63-20-000-7)
Shaft, Free-wheel Coupling (3160S60-10-000-2)
Extended Steps (2) - left and right side, unknown part numbers - see image below
Artouste 111B Solid Air Intake Covers (2 not wire mesh) - left and right side, unknown part numbers - see image below

Also, if there are any manuals for the airframe or operations that exist in electronic form, those would be helpful as well.
Hello,
Did you find them?
We could help you. We had 8 ALIII
[email protected]
Best regards,
Stefan​​​​​​​