View Full Version : Cargo Jobs for low houred Pilots

INSIDEVIEW
12th Jun 2006, 21:25
hi there
i recently did my FAA JAA conversion
german citizen,31 years ,TT 1025 ,Multi 250
CFI CFII MEI

Anyone knows a company (worldwide) which hires ?

thanks
Will do everything !!

bafanguy
12th Jun 2006, 22:59
Do you have the legal ability to work in the USA ? There are frequently freight companies advertising for pilots here. I'd have to do some digging for specifics as I'm not interested but I know I see them advertise.

Ignition Override
13th Jun 2006, 05:18
Grusse INSIDEVIEW:
Several years ago my brother worked for Regional Southwest Cargo, or something like that, at an airport in downtown Kansas City. Years ago there were at least two airports right by each othere, side-by-side, downtown. The Kansas City area covers many square miles in both Missouri and Kansas.
Anyway, he often flew freight in the Rockwell Twin Commander solo, all night long, but sometimes had a copilot (F.O.). He told me that almost all of the copilots were from Britain or Europe, and the pilots paid the owner about $20 per hour. He also told me that he shared the flying and did not know whether they were able to log the flying as second-in-command or pilot-in-comand. He claimed that the company was a good company, and that the foreign guys were all good pilots, but that their main difficulty was understanding the English spoken by US air traffic controllers ("ATC"). Das kann man sich sehr leicht vorstellen...

The quality of the various ATC radio transmissions and accents, but mostly the speed of the clearances-sometimes very fast (rasch und "abgekurzt") and blocked radio calls, are still probably the main frustration with US airline flying, except among the thousands of airline pilots who have been laid-off (no more job for a long time), or forcd to another crewbase, but this is my opinion.

Combined with bad spring and summer weather, it can be rather challenging-too many aircraft which must share the same frequencies and often changing to another (the next controller might not realize which way you prefer to deviate around a thunderstorm, at which altitude under/near the 'overhang', or between a loose 'cluster'/group of cells). I was hired here on a twin-turbine jet in late '85, and have only flown narrow body (twins) since then.

You might try to contact Pinnacle Airlines (maybe Mesa, but watch out for many companies and the seemingly attractive offers and promises they will make...) . Years ago when Pinnacle operated the Saab-340, they somehow "sponsored" numerous foreign pilots, i.e. Scandinavian, South African, Canadian, Nederlands, etc. They now have a very challenging Initial Training program for the CRJ, and being a US company (almost all despise [verachten] labor/"staff"), naturally pay very little to the FOs. I have no idea whether Pinnacle interviews foreign pilots (already here at a school?) to find jobs, or not. One aviation school which accepted large cash sums in advance (NEVER pay all your money in advance/"up front"!) from foreign pilots was at Bolivar, TN, near Memphis, and when it "suddenly";) went bankrupt, many foreign pilots were dumped on the open market there. Some paid a huge amount of cash and lost all of it a few days later...with no realistic appeal process. Caveat emptor (Ausbeutung wird nimmer altmodisch).
Viel Gluck dabei.

Ein Freund stammt aus Essen, war Pilot hier und jetzt verandert seinen Beruf. He flew all night and with a family, he never felt good on his days off. He had only two days off in a row and never felt good, but his other main problem was that some 'outside', brand-new pilots were hired as "Direct Entry" Captains, with no clear idea on when he would be allowed to upgrade, even though the company paid for his type rating on a different aircraft, with which he was successful. The company was not unionized, but surprisingly, the pay was not bad, for a US freight company with F-27s, especially if a guy began by flying their single-engine planes. The company sometimes avoided using the seniority system for Captain upgrade (they saved money hiring outside guys at a first-year Captain salary, instead of upgrading third-year FOs, resulting in a higher-cost, third-year Captain salary). But every airline with a union contract, probably without exception, requires upgrades to be determined by seniority. This naturally assumes that the First Officer focuses on overall situational awareness, is ready for the training, also is a cautious, aggressive learner and has the required (previous) PIC experience etc.

INSIDEVIEW
13th Jun 2006, 13:45
Thanks Guys ,so theres only the problem getting a permit to work there..
Do you think chances are there even afte sept 11...

I guess I just sent out my Applications ,maybe they really really need Pilots and can do the sponsor thing ..

Guys ,thanks
Schoene gruesse aus Stuttgart

Martin