PDA

View Full Version : Searching for an elusive video

1/2rhoVsquared
4th Jul 2005, 07:39
Don't know if anyone can help (or even if this is the right forum)but I'm trying to track down a video called 'the wrong stuff'. It was made by the BBC some years ago now for the 'Horizon' series (when Adam was a lad) but is full of fantastic stuff on CRM/MCC. I know it would be a great asset to those going through the mill and especially those who would like an insight into cockpit generated disasters. I have tried the BBC and they were as much use as a chocolate tea pot. If ANYONE can shed some light as to how I can get hold of a copy I'd be very grateful. :O

moggiee
4th Jul 2005, 13:32
If anyone can lay their hands upon a copy of "The Unflyable Plane" about the United Airlines DC10 which "landed" at Sioux City with no flying controls, I would be grateful for information.

Thanks

Craggenmore
4th Jul 2005, 16:28
OAT have the Sioux City video. Give them a ring. Ask to speak to the CGI and he might get the lab to run you off a copy...

1/2rhoVsquared
4th Jul 2005, 17:16
will give them a call tomorrow, many many thanks:ok:

Deano777
5th Jul 2005, 09:29
moggiee

If you get no joy PM me, I'm sure I have a copy here somewhere of the United DC-10, it was part of the "Black Box" series if this will suffice

Dean.

EGBKFLYER
5th Jul 2005, 12:46
I have found 2 places where 'The Wrong Stuff' video can be purchased.

One is from BBC Worldwide http://www.bbcbroadcastlearning.com/ - just do a search on the title. Price is £295 though!!!

The other is Parthenon Aviation (never heard of them either) - http://www.parthenon.uk.com/aviation/itm00438.htm - they will sell you said item for a much cheaper £250!

Let us know if you find it for a 'decent' price...

Another thought - try your local library. They can search a large number of archives and will probably be able to get it from somewhere. The programme was made in 1986 in case you needed to know.

BigGrecian
5th Jul 2005, 15:37
Channel 4 did a series called the Black Box which had the Siox City Crash on it if I remember - can't seem to find a link on the net at the moment - but someone else might know.

Deano777
5th Jul 2005, 16:31
Originally posted by Deano777

moggiee

If you get no joy PM me, I'm sure I have a copy here somewhere of the United DC-10, it was part of the "Black Box" series if this will suffice

Dean.

As above ^ :)

avrodamo
5th Jul 2005, 17:57
EPTA at Bournemouth had a copy of 'The wrong stuff'. They used it on the MCC. Maybe they could do you a copy or something

High Wing Drifter
5th Jul 2005, 18:53
I imagine it is must see item for ALL wannabe pilots. My mate's missus was running a corporate team building course (non-aviation) so I managed to borrow it.

They seem to have tapped into the corporate market with it, hence the price!!

moggiee
5th Jul 2005, 20:37
I've got the Black Box version of the Sioux City but the BBC "Unflyable Plane" version is so much better. It has an excellent flightdeck reconstruction using good actors which really conveys the MCC/CRM message.

I found the £250 version on line but that really is a ridiculous price!

Send Clowns
5th Jul 2005, 22:47
I think that "The Wrong Stuff" is used for all the MCC courses, so any local FTO providing the course should have it. I'm pretty sure we do.

Moggiee

There was also a film made of the event, using actual amateur footage! That itself wasn't bad, no Hollywood exageration really possible!