PDA

View Full Version : I've clicked something in Outlook...

Keygrip
12th Jun 2006, 13:13
...that has taken some of my e-mail "grouping" away.

Until last night (Sunday), I had groups of messages collated as received "Today", "Yesterday", "Friday", Thursday"...."Last Week", "Two weeks ago", "Three Weeks ago", "Last Month" and "Older".

Whilst clicking to delete the multitudes of spam, I've done something that has taken MOST of the groups away - I now just have "Today" (which only came back this morning) and then the "weeklies" - but no longer have any "Yesterday", "Friday" etc.

Any thoughts? I'm sure it's a simple mouse click - but darned if I know where.:confused:

spannersatcx
12th Jun 2006, 16:36
Win XP try a system restore!

Saab Dastard
12th Jun 2006, 17:39
Do you mean some folders are missing? Did you delete them or accidentally move them?

Do a search for *.dbx files in your C drive, check if the folders are still there.

If all your folders are / were under the Inbox, it is just possible that you have exceeded a limit for messages in the inbox - that's just a guess, but it might be worth looking up the MS KB for Outlook.

rotorcraig
12th Jun 2006, 18:36
Could be worth looking under the "View / Arrange By" menu.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;831606

But this functionality reads to be quite dynamic, so may be that you [accidentally or otherwise] deleted everything for "Yesterday" thus it doesn't show up as a group any more?

RC

stickyb
13th Jun 2006, 02:02
If it is Outlook, then the folders are not in .dbx files.

If it is Outlook, then there is an option for grouping. Select the "Automatically group according to arrangemnt" option to get back the default view you had.
Make sure before clicking that option that you have sorted the view by a date field, either received or sent.

Keygrip
13th Jun 2006, 02:15
Thanks guys - I've looked at all the above.

All the days are still there - but not individually highlighted any more - I've just got one group of "Today", and one headed "Last Week" (no longer split into the last seven days) then groups of weeks.

I tried a system restore (good thinking) - but the computer refused to do it. Said it couldn't (for some reason) - even though there were valid restore points. I did notice, however, that one of those restore points for last Saturday was when Windows automatically updated itself.

I think Microsoft may have sent me some crap.

stickyb
13th Jun 2006, 04:56
Try again Keygrip, and you can get it to work (assuming it is outlook) (and by the way a system restore won't do aything to help.

in your normal mail view, right click on one of the column headings (such as From, and select customise current view.
Then click on Group by, (should be 2nd entry down) and tick automatically group, and select expand all by default.

OK your way out of that and you will have extacly what you want.

If the display is not quite what you expect, check tools/calendar options/first day of week. For instance, if this is set to Sunday, and today is Tuesday, then the grouping would go Today, Yesterday, Sunday, Last week, etc.
If First day of week was set to Monday, then the display would go Today, Yesterday, Last week, etc. and the dusplay will change every day - comprendez?