PDA

View Full Version : Sticky E6B

TLAW
12th Jun 2006, 06:01
A minor problem, on the scale of things, but annoying nonetheless.

My whiz wheel has got some grease or something in its workings, and no longer whizzes like once it did.

Anyone suggest a solution? I thought talcum powder might help.

gas-chamber
12th Jun 2006, 06:37
Slide a sheet of paper between the discs and rotate until the grease etc is transferred to the paper. Repeat until clean, using more paper. Lube with graphite, as in shavings from a good old pencil lead, but only very sparingly.

TLAW
12th Jun 2006, 06:40
I'll give it a lash. Thanks for the tip! :cool:

john_tullamarine
12th Jun 2006, 10:50
Slide a sheet of paper between the discs .. and, if that doesn't work, dismantle the unit, clean it properly, and reassemble for continued good times ...

.. talc is an abrasive so not to be recommended ..

criticalmass
12th Jun 2006, 23:52
For a quick fix, try the aerosol spraycans of silicon available at better hardware stores etc. Silicon lube doesn't attract dust.

Best fix is dissembly, thorough cleaning, reassembly and test before using. JTs suggestion is very sound.

If you decide to lubricate the mechanism, use very sparing lubrication only. I'd suggest a smear (only) of silicon-based grease such as is used in laboratories for sealing lab glassware joints etc. An alternative is the silicon-based grease used for sealing RF connectors on the ends of elliptical waveguides etc. (Any company doing this sort of work usually has gash ampoules of grease, especially if they use Andrew connectors - the ampoules come with the connector kit and you don't use all of it for any one connector so a surplus gradually accumulates. Try the engineering section of your local TV station, they usually have this stuff spare.)

TLAW
13th Jun 2006, 07:15
Who'd have thought three little plastic discs would attract such a high quality of replies?

I'm not quite sure how you would go about dismantling it, as it appears to be riveted.

I've done the paper thing and dropped a few pencil shavings into it and it is doing fine, spinning like the champion it is. And just as well, too, because I have an exam tomorrow.

Thanks Blokes! :ok:

ani tayas
13th Jun 2006, 08:51
Unfortunately this detailed tune up of the whiz-wheel does not prevent user error.... :O

Good luck for the exam!:ok:

QSK?
14th Jun 2006, 04:09
I have an old metal Kane E6B which I have used for many years (since 1973) and have even had a professional instrument engraver add additional marks to assist with metric conversions etc.

Unfortunately, the clear platic surface on which one draws the various vectors on the wind side now has a number of scratches and other marks and is also very dirty.

Does anyone know where (or how) I can get a new clear surface as I am very reluctant to purchase one of the newer (inferior) platic versions?

Woomera
14th Jun 2006, 04:59
Bugger you mean they don't allow you to bring your FMS into the exam?:{

The dissasembly tune up advice is good.:ok:

As I got older mine got bigger (careful careful.:E ) so I could still read it, but now, thankfully, I am able to worship at the altar of glass stuff and dual FMS. :D :D That man deserves a Nobel prize.:p

Seriously though I still keep the old brain driven mental :rolleyes: rithmetic and SA going flat out. Do they still teach it and the "times" table by rote at school.

Arm out the window
14th Jun 2006, 05:23
And just be very careful - you can't just go trying to fix any old thing if it's not listed as approved pilot maintenance now!

Over and gout
14th Jun 2006, 05:51
I say throw the damn thing out and get an electronic one. Much more user friendly....:cool: