PDA

View Full Version : Info request - Air Ambulance set-up

doggs64
11th Jun 2006, 20:22
Hello, I am a graduate student at Embry Riddle in the US. For my International Aviation class project, I am researching the feasibility of starting an Air Ambulance operation in Africa. Is there anyone who might provide some info/help. Any is greatly appreciated. In particular, operating costs, legal/bureaucratic issues, and economic/geographical issues. Thank you for any help.

smallfry
11th Jun 2006, 20:41
I think you will find that there are already a few Air Ambulance Services in Africa. Have a look at www.amref.org (African Medical Research Foundation- a charitable organisation) who are the NGO behind the East Africa Flying Doctor Service. They have been providing Medivac support, surgical outreach flights, outreach clinics, relief missions etc since 1953.
They provide an initial response and repatriation service flying a variety of aircraft all over the Eastern region of the continent (Based in Kenya, but flying widely over Tanzania, Uganda, Somalia, Northern Malawi, Rwanda, Burundi, Eastern Congo, and the islands.)
They are well respected and have got patronage from many European Royalty, Governments and have met the Audit requirements for many US and European Medivac providers.
I have lost touch with their day to day operations, but the organisation provides a much needed and respected service.
I hope this helps.