PDA

View Full Version : Should I be worried?

Feline
11th Jun 2006, 14:51
Bought a brand new retail CD - Spandau Ballet (yeh - I know - call me quaint) published by EMI from a reputable chain store. As soon as I put it into my CD drive I get a panel flashing up, saying that, in order to play this CD, certain files on my computer need to be updated. Which, bearing in mind Sony's recent exploits with rootkits, worries me. Anybody have any idea of what's going down? For reference I am running Win 2000 with SP4, and use iTunes 6.0.2.23 to rip it for my iPod (and yes, I do know that there's a later version available - which I haven't gotten around to installing just yet).

unclenelli
11th Jun 2006, 15:44
I can't remember the label off the top of my head, but I've got a Velvet Revolver CD which won't rip/copy

When you browse the CD it comes up with a compressed player file containing all the music
Works fine in an audio drive.

Sounds like your problem is iTunes (I Don't use it myself, so I'm only guessing) being in auto-search-for-updates mode

Try clicking Update? - NO and see if it works.
If not, try playing it using a different media player (MS Media Player/Nero Showtime/Real Player/Quicktime)

Buster Cherry
11th Jun 2006, 19:03
Use Windows media player to rip your CD`s. I had exactly the same problem with I-Tunes & said Velvet Revolver CD. Binned it of & had no problems with WMP10 (a beta of WMP11 is now on Billyboys website for those interested...works very well.)
I-Tunes dumps the awful Quicktime on the pc & I`m sure the conflict arises from there.
The other option is to use Winamp.(excellent media player) This is compatible with the I-Pod for ripping & can be fount at.... http://www.winamp.com/

Feline
15th Jun 2006, 18:23
Thanks for the advice guys - installed later version of iTunes -- and that seems to have solved problem. Have tried WMP in the past - but the later versions seem to have their own ideas of where they will save files and I didn't have the time to work it all out. But maybe will give it a try if I have any more problems with iTunes.

slim_slag
15th Jun 2006, 23:15
X&Y from Coldplay has some nasty DRM thing on it too. googling suggests it's not possible to rip it (for personal use when I don't have a CD player on me, which I would argue is fair use) without jumping through major hoops, got to be better use of one's time to obtain it from alltunes for $1.76. That CD definitely installs stuff on your hard drive as there is a text file on the CD which says it does, unfortunately one doesn't get to read the text file until after it's installed its stuff. Would never have thought a music CD would attack your system, autoplay is now off.