PDA

View Full Version : Flying Scot wishes to move to NZ. Chances?

SkidSolo
11th Jun 2006, 10:22
My partner and I are looking to move out and start a homestay and maybe I could fly.

Is there a link as the search feature didn't really guide me.

I have 2500hrs on Saab 340 and 500hrs on Falcon 2000. UK ATPL.

What are my chances of converting, coming across etc? Would those at Air Nelson et al prefer locals.

Rgds
SS

MOR
11th Jun 2006, 12:41
For licence conversion info:

http://www.caa.govt.nz/fulltext/TTMR/Flight_Crew_Recognition_Info.pdf

As for getting into Air Nelson, be prepared to be hit with a requirement for "50 hours recent NZ IFR time". Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't, but in any event it is an "anti-foreigner" device. They also use it to weed out Kiwis who have been so disloyal as to go to Europe and fly there for a while. How do I know? Happened to me (and others on this forum).

There are other operators, but not with Saabs (and the Saabs are being replaced with Dash 8s in any case... except you aren't allowed to call them Dash 8's, they are "Q300s").

You will find something, but only as an F/O and you may find the pay a little low.

Great country though.

Were you with Loganair then?

SkidSolo
12th Jun 2006, 18:51
Thanks for the link and info MOR. Yes, it was Loganair.

SS

MOR
13th Jun 2006, 01:39
I did four years with Loganair back in the "good old days" when they had 146s, ATPs and Sheds. Good fun until the company was raped and pillaged. Many fun times flying into Scatsta (before it was lengthened) and Sumburgh, Tingwall, and of course the beach at Barra. Many memories! Happy in NZ now though.

tinpis
13th Jun 2006, 02:40
There were quite a few aussies and kiwis got a start with Logan in the 70's MOR.

I remember hearing aussie accents tearing around at night in Bandits

One night Manchester said "Have I come to work in the correct country?"

He was working 90% aussies. :p

SkidSolo most kiwis save up to escape to oz .Have you thought of that? :rolleyes: :hmm:

MOR
13th Jun 2006, 07:46
Tinpis

Geez I'm not that old, I was with them in the late 80's... :=

Place was full of expats though, mostly Kiwis, Ozmates and Canadians. One or two South Africans but we soon got rid of them, along with the English... :p

Not sure why you are encouraging our Scottish friend to go to Oz, it has the major disadvantage of being full of Australians (apart from Bondi which is of course mainly Kiwis). I'm sure a proud Scot wouldn't want to be associated with a bunch of ex-convicts and underarm bowlers... :} :} :}

Taildragger67
13th Jun 2006, 18:41
Tinpis
Geez I'm not that old, I was with them in the late 80's... :=
Place was full of expats though, mostly Kiwis, Ozmates and Canadians. One or two South Africans but we soon got rid of them, along with the English... :p
Not sure why you are encouraging our Scottish friend to go to Oz, it has the major disadvantage of being full of Australians (apart from Bondi which is of course mainly Kiwis). I'm sure a proud Scot wouldn't want to be associated with a bunch of ex-convicts and underarm bowlers... :} :} :}

Righto I'll bite:

"Ladies and gentlemen, we've just landed in Auckland so put your watches forward two hours and your calendars back twenty years."

Sorry MOR old son but I just couldn't let that one through to the keeper without playing it (which is more than McKechnie did!)

We like to think that England was simply exporting its export-quality sons and daughters. Certainly operated to shallow up the gene pool a bit back home...

And on that note, having effectively alienated most of PPRuNe, I'll put on my flame-proof suit and make a Harry for the door.

MOR
13th Jun 2006, 20:27
Ha ha ha... works every time. Just can't help yourselves, can you... lol

They exported the quality ones to NZ, Oz got the convicts. Never mind, you can console yourselves with the words of the great Rob Muldoon, who pointed out that when a Kiwi goes to Oz, the IQ of both countries increases...

Next... :}