View Full Version : D or B1B2 for rebuilding an engine?

blue up
11th Jun 2006, 08:58
Anyone in the UK know what licence would be neede to sign for the rebuild of a "certified type" engine that was built from a kit supplied by the factory as a self-build unit for a PFA homebuilt? Franklin 4a-235 that has had the logbook and dataplate nicked by a disgruntled ex colleague of the previous owner. I've now bought it, still in the dry storage box in perfect condition but it will need a strip and rebuild to ensure build quality and for the issue of a cert of conformity and logbbok.
ANY info would be appreciated.
[email protected]

spannersatcx
11th Jun 2006, 15:50
you could try a look at this CAP 659: Amateur Built Aircraft: A Guide to Approval, Construction and Operation of Amateur Built Aircraft (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP659.PDF)

blue up
11th Jun 2006, 18:06
Thanks. Tried it but there isn't anything relevant in there. Standard CAA document!!!:E

Does anyone know of a D licences eng on e-mail?

spannersatcx
11th Jun 2006, 21:04
I would suggest that you either:
a) send it to the manufacturer for the overhaul/recertification or
b) send it to an EASA approved organisation to do the same

Otherwise you would need an appropriately approved/type rated person, they would not be B1 or B2 as at a guess the a/c/engine is in a group less than 5700kgs and these are still covered by BCAR type ratings and not EASA.

I think a D licence would be at an overhaul facility anyway and they would have to be covered by JAA/EASA 145 organisational approval.

I think the quickest and or easiest it to get it to an overhaul facility or the manufacturer.

blue up
12th Jun 2006, 19:09
The manufacturer went t*ts-up several years ago. Nobody currently holds the TC (I think that is the correct description?) although they may go back into production sometime soon in Poland.
Under the PFA rules you can build a VW conversion without ever having a licenced engineer look at it. A PFA approved "experienced person" who has experience of VW building can sign for the work. Show them the parts in the raw, measure everything as you go and then get him to sign a Cert of Conformity. And al that on a crankcase that may have already covered a million miles! My Franklin engine is brand new .... everything!
Now, do any UK/JAA licences allow me to build the engine myself with a licenced eng signing it off? Even the Part 66 college couldn't answer that question.

Thanks for clarifying the BCAR/EASA situation.

btw I paid a mere £200 for the Franklin and £500 for a VW 65hp with a cert of conformity.:)

spannersatcx
13th Jun 2006, 09:55
OK, it may be worth a call to your local CAA surveyor or even Aviation House and try to get a definative answer from them, or try the disgruntled ex partner, maybe offer a few £ for the plate and logbook you never know. Say they are in breach of Aviation Law and that might frightene them a bit. Good Luck, sounds like you might need it.:)

Fargoo
13th Jun 2006, 13:22
Considering that the Franklin is worth around £3000 new there is a reason you got it cheap.
I'd suggest you get in touch with the PFA and get your local inspector to pop round for a look. (A lot of the inspectors are licenced eng's working in GA anyway).
I'd say your engine is pretty much worthless without a dataplate and logbook though. :ugh:

blue up
14th Jun 2006, 17:03
It appears there are only "6" D-licenced engs in the UK!!!!! I spoke to one of them and he was happy to inspect the engine internally and give a new cert for it, although he currently has a backlog of 50 engines for rebuild. The engine is brand new (not zero timed) and therefore, by his reasoning, not going to be corroded by combustion products. Just a case of getting through to the PFA with these recommendations.

Fargoo, where did you get the figure of £3000 from? Mags and carb would cost the best part of £2000, wouldn't they?

Fargoo
15th Jun 2006, 05:03
Hiya,
Try Franklin themselves. They have this on offer at the mo

"NEW ! PZL-Franklin 4A-235-B31 (125 hp). Factory New 4-cylinder engine in Factory sealed crate. FAA-certified. 235 cubic inch displacement. Fits O-200 mount pattern. Save BIG $$$ getting your project flying now! Only $6,900.00"

Maybe if they've gone bust though the website isn't updated anymore?

Fargoo :ok:

blue up
15th Jun 2006, 06:36
You guessed it! That was the "clearance sale" going on before the bailiff arrived.

Might be going back into production in Poland next year.

PFA website Q-and-A site suggests that an individual approval might be gained for the engine based on a visual inspection by a PFA eng to alllow the raising of a new logbook. If a D-licenced guy does the inspection then it might be accepted with a full CRS for public transport.

Things are looking up!! Yippee