PDA

View Full Version : nothings changed

flyingtake2
11th Jun 2006, 06:31
I have been out of flying now for about 7years. was doing it for fun to start with but got half serious and did commercial but got sidetracked by kids and building some assets up for the family. Haven't had a good look at pprune for a while now, but having started to read again, its amazing - the whole flying profession seems to be in a time warp. Same bitches and gripes from years ago, but probably different contributors out there.

anyway, got myself together financially now / been quite succesful in business and its true you never loose the flying bug. Can't believe it but I am contemplating getting back into flying commercially as a career instructor. I was taught by a 40 year old + plus lady years back who ws that inspiring and great to work with that this is probably what I would like to do. Given I am 36 I reckon I might follow her lead as I reckon instruction would have to been one of the more satisfying aviation jobs out there.

Has anyone else out there done what I am contemplating doing? I know the money is crap, but I am not overly concerned about that now, where it was a big consideration when I decided to not pursue flying full on a few years back. Would those of you who have come back to flying do it again or just aim to be the weekend warrior.

Interest in some constructive feedback on this.

barney01
11th Jun 2006, 07:31
Have a "plan B" if things don't work out.

That said, better to be able to say "I had a go" rather than "I wish I had had a go"

Fred Gassit
11th Jun 2006, 08:18
Career instructor, great move I think. The industry and paying customers deserve a few more like you, think of the few others doing the same, all generally held in high esteem, good luck, I'm sure it will work well!

Dookie on Drums
11th Jun 2006, 09:14
Good move flyingtake2, :ok:

So long as you are in a financially secure position to do it then your commitment would be extremely valuable to the industry.

Waaaaaay too many Grade3's and 2's out there from the sausage factory just wanting the hours without giving a real damn. Note that I said many and not all.

A break is not a bad thing at all. I took a break for a few years in a position still related to flying that has set me up financially and am ready to dive on in again with a wealth of knowledge (and contacts) under my belt.

All the very best with it.:)

flyingtake2
11th Jun 2006, 11:01
Thanks for the comments.

scrambler
12th Jun 2006, 00:12
Have a "plan B" if things don't work out.
That said, better to be able to say "I had a go" rather than "I wish I had had a go"
I have been in this situation and agree 100%

jerezflyer
1st Jul 2006, 15:42
I am 36 and just gained my PPL. I have decided that the way to go for me is to become a career instructor, and I have just started the CPL groundschool course distance learning with GTS in Bournemouth. I intend to build hours at my own pace and do the CPL flight training and eventually the FI course. My intentions would be to instruct at weekends, as I already have a career from Monday to Friday.
I went through 3 or 4 intstructors during my PPL training, all of them young graduates from an ATPL integrated course with their eyes on the airlines and using instruction as a means to hour building.
I think the industry deserves dedicated instructors, especially the PPL student pilot.
Just my thoughts......

poteroo
1st Jul 2006, 23:09
Never Too Late

Go for it. A bit of maturity doesn't hurt in this job.

Started instructing when I was 48, and that was 18 years ago. Best change that I ever made in flying.

If my medical holds up, and I can still find the airport.....I'll be still there in 10 years, 20 years (?).....who knows?

The satisfaction you'll gain from this very individual, personally challenging and different career will outweigh most of the negatives.

happy days,