PDA

View Full Version : Commercial Pilot's daily diet and physical exercise and taking care of eye and ear

iamanaussiemavrick
11th Jun 2006, 05:38
Hi,

I am going to take class 1 medical and i would like to know what are the best diets for a pilot and about how much exercise one should do daily.

Also how one should take care of eye's and ears.

Do reply

Regards

Kanak

Oh that's super!
11th Jun 2006, 10:40
Whatever is medically accepted as "sensible" should do just fine.

Carrier
16th Jun 2006, 06:52
More than two decades ago in Canada before I had any thought of flying, let alone flying for a career, I came across an interesting fitness book written specifically for pilots. I bought a copy on the basis that if it works for pilots it should be more than adequate for the general population. I have had no reason to regret this purchase. Indeed, I consider that this book, or an equivalent, is an essential part of any professional pilot’s kit. Although I moved to now fly in Africa my copy is with me.
Title: Canadian Pilot’s Fitness Manual
Author: David Steen
Publisher: Delacorte Press/Eleanor Friede, One Dag Hammarskjold Plaza. New York, NY 10017
ISBN 0-440-03670-4
Published 1979
This was written in co-operation with the Canadian Airline Pilots Association and the Fitness Institute of Toronto. My version dates from before such problems as DVT became well known. I suspect that a current edition would include reference to topics such as DVT. Even without reference to DVT I consider this book to be well worth having for any professional pilot. The DVT issue can be added by using the handouts from airlines.
I suggest any professional pilot who is remotely concerned with personal fitness and retaining a medical validation should have a copy of this manual or an equivalent.

iamanaussiemavrick
17th Jun 2006, 02:03
Hi,

Thanks for that reply. Hope many others are also conscious about fitness as i am.

Regards

Kanak Chandramohan

Daysleeper
17th Jun 2006, 15:47
best diets for a pilot

Dunno bout best but most people I work with use a 5 point plan

coffee
biscuits
chocolate
booze
Indeterminate "meat" based product costing about 15 Euros from room service.

Sorry but thats the reality of flying.

tex8vc
29th Jun 2006, 03:13
Hello!
Just wanted to know:

How, walking 30/45 minutes every morning would effect my body?
Can walking replace other exercises?

Please note, I:

am fit/ feel fit without walking or exercise at 32.
do not wish to loose any weight.
eat veg.
do not smoke or drink.

So, walking would help or I might endup loosing weight? I have class one medical in 2 months time! :rolleyes:

Thanks for advice and suggestions!

tex8vc
29th Jun 2006, 21:50
I guess not many people go for walks now a days:= or may be all are busy walking:D

40 views and not a single post!:bored:

Keep fit.. good luck!

Ringway Flyer
30th Jun 2006, 11:13
I'm no doctor, but WALKING is cheap and effective. I believe that current thinking is that 30 minutes a day is a Good Thing and to be encouraged!! There's too many of us not getting enough! (Walking, that is). You should manage about two miles in that time. Keeps you in good shape, mentally and physically, provided you go fast enough to get slightly out of breath....
See how far you can blow down the tube at your next medical...
:ok:

low n' slow
30th Jun 2006, 20:21
A walk for the breakfast is a real health boost I find.
Occasionaly I find the need to loose a kilo or two and the first method I use is the BEFORE breakfast walk. Before I go out, I take a cup of coffee and a banana or apple. Then I walk really fast for an hour and then I have my brekkie.

If for some reason, you don't want to loose weight, Take the walk after the breakfast and don't push yourself hard during the walk. Just keep it at a normal pace.

I find that it gets the circulation going and gives the body a pleasant wake up for the day ahead. Also, as my dad has prooven, it really helps your general fitness. Before he used to not be able to run for any length at all. Now after having made a breakfast walk the days standard wherever possible (or make it an afternoon walk if you have a really early check in), he can run without problems, probably 10 km's in under an hour which is quite good. A fact to consider this though is that he kept it up for a year or two before starting to run.

If you make this a routine, you will probably feel that you get ill a lot more seldom, you will sleep better, have more energy to do other things and also it provides an often undisturbed time during the day at which you can think about those things that you never get to think about otherwise.

If you do start to loose weight that you'd rather keep on, just eat moore or start building a little muscle in the gym! Walks before breakfast are a real fatkiller as there are low levels of bloodfat and bloodsugar for the body to use. If you fill these up a bit before you go out, the walk will not cause you to loose too much weight if any at all.

Go for it, is my suggestion. After all, a little walk has never killed anyone :rolleyes:

/LnS who takes a morningwalk allmost every morning.

tex8vc
1st Jul 2006, 02:02
Thanks for the comments Ringway n LnS!!!!
Its good to know that at least some people still enjoy walking!
LnS you made a very important point that if I don't wish to loose weight, I should eat and walk. Actually I use to walk before but I stopped due to loss of weight!
After reading your comments, I had my b'fast and went out for a long walk. Now I plan to be regular on that. I have my medical in 45 days... lets see how I perform!
Thanks!

Kestrel_909
1st Jul 2006, 15:52
I use to be a fan of cycling at the odd hours of the morning, as soon as it's daylight (which at the moment is about 0430Local in my part of the world.) I haven't done it in a while but wanting to get back into it, put off by the sore arse syndrome the day after though :oh:

It helped keep general fitness level up, gave me that kick in the backside ready to face each day and also, tis rather nice being out and about so early when the world is so calm. It still is bloody hard getting out of bed though but it is impressive what a simple 30 min period of exercise each day will do to your life.

Perhaps try listening to music while doing it, to keep your pace up though I never use two ear pieces at once, it throws whatever little situational awareness I have straight out the window.

alwayzinit
2nd Jul 2006, 20:27
Whats the best way to shed 20 pounds and lower ones cholesterol on 3 months .....

and not eat too much rabbit food?

Have no avertion to hard work just don't have any fecking time!

Alwayz

AlexEvans
2nd Jul 2006, 20:49
Short of liposuction there is only one way, despite what anyone will tell you. That is to expend more calories than you consume, every day if possible. A lifestyle change is required, not a fad diet. So that means exercise more and eat less than you are used to, consistently.

Cardio is much better than weight training to expend the calories. Avoid eating fat (more calories/gramme than carbs or protein) and try to get complex carbs rather than simple ones because they are less likely to be stored as fat.

Remember to drink enough water - this helps your body to use fat as a fuel when operating under a calorie deffecit.

Good luck!

sixmilehighclub
2nd Jul 2006, 21:24
Losing that much weight in one go can be done but it is likely to creep back on again shortly after....

My suggestion....

Cut out all sugary and fatty stuff for 2 weeks, increase your exercise. Avoid heavy meals after 6pm (or 4 hrs before bed). Freshly cut fruit salad is good for breakfast. Avoid potato, pasta and breads, keep rice to a minimum. Increase water intake.

After 2 weeks reintroduce a little of the fatty and sugary stuff for 1-2 weeks, but only enough so you dont gain weight and either continue to lose or maintain your new lower weight. (It can take a few days for fat to store and register on the scales!).

Repeat the cycle but each time change your exercise routine ( your body gets used to it otherwise) .

Increase excercise occasionally for better results, only eat if youre hungry or if you will be needing to do something that requires optimum concentration or strength.

For quicker weight loss minimise the bad stuff between weight losses, but dont cut it out completely. Ie, slice of cake, have 4 bites instead of the entire slice. Have one regular coke and 1 diet instead of 2 regular. Go for semiskimmed milk, or skimmed if you can handle it. Have one sugar & one sweetener instead of two sugars.
If you have to have bread, leave the crusts!!

Eating the bad stuff in small portions between losses makes the brain and body think its not starving of nice stuff and when you introduce them back into your diet, you'll have figured out how much you can have without gaining weight, therefore the weight will stay off. Go easy though, be honest as to what a small portion is.

It also makes it less of a burden an less boring to be on the diet. And you go back to esting pretty much everything you ate before, just in moderation.

Good Luck!

:ok:

tex8vc
3rd Jul 2006, 02:19
Only thing I would add to Sixmile is,
Every morning (before mouth wash),
one garlic (finely chopped) with half a glass of warm water for cholesterol.
Just take it in your mouth and drink water i.e. just swallow it like pills!!!
Guaranteed results!

Good Luck!

low n' slow
3rd Jul 2006, 07:51
And after the garlic, down one strong cup of coffee and go out for a morning walk BEFORE breakfast. At least for 45 minutes. If this does not fit into the schedule, make sure you take a longer walk in the afternoon or whenever suitable. And don't fart around with it, walk briskly and push yourself so you get your heartrate up a bit. And dont get overenthused and start running as it will take the energy from the carbs allready in your bloodstream. Trick is to make the body take energy from your fatreserves. It takes a little time for it to start (15 to 30 minutes for me which is why the ideal time to spend walking is around 1 hour or more) but the coffee speeds things up.

Also, it really gets you going in the morning.
If everything you try fails, I have tried a drink called Nutrilett. It worked wonders for me, but unfortunately I don't know what it's called in English.

/LnS

alwayzinit
19th Jul 2006, 15:22
Whats the best way to shed 20 pounds and lower ones cholesterol on 3 months .....

and not eat too much rabbit food?

Have no avertion to hard work just don't have any fecking time!

Alwayz

Ref My last..

Thanks to all you folk for the words of support etc...

"lard attack" is going nearly to plan....

I say nearly as part of my plan has been to "power walk" (look like a complete knob but it gets the ole ticker going) a 3 mile route daily ( 40 mins). Trouble is I seem to have tweeked something in my ankle just under the "sticky out bit" on the outside of foot.

Hurts like hell until it warms up then hurts like hell when it cools down:*

Don't want to stop walking as benefits are self evident:ok: , conversely don't want to knacker my ankle I wish to use it fo a while yet:ugh: ! Also don't want to take up nhs time.

Any ideas? :confused:

Alwayz

Kestrel_909
19th Jul 2006, 16:32
look like a complete knob
I can associate with that! Just taken up running to give the arse a rest from cycling. The upside is in this weather (30degrees) at least I'm not the only one that's sweating!

I can also associate with an injury, seems I have shin splints, in my leg left or stress fracture :( Lower half of my left shin and extending to the inside of my left leg above my ankle for a few inches. I'm not in agony but certainly there is some soreness when I kneel and put my weight on my left leg:ugh:

It sounds like a muscle injury since it disappears when warmed up. Take it a bit easier for a few days and see if it gets any better, if it persists then I would see someone before you end up doing yourself a proper injury :(

beamer
19th Jul 2006, 20:17
Do not eat crew food on board
Walk to work from car park
Use stairs not lifts
Moderate exercise three times a week - jogging, cycling, sh**ging etc
Don't smoke
Drink lots of water
Plenty of rock n roll
Accept the fact that your eyes go after 40 and hearing after 50 - pardon !

cparker
1st Aug 2006, 23:43
Hi there,

My AME suggested that 3 times a week you should raise your pulse to at least :-

70% of [220 - (your age in years)]

Charlie