PDA

View Full Version : ASIC Process Needed After All

wrongthong
10th Jun 2006, 22:04
Today's papers are reporting the NZ govt has deported a trainee pilot back to Saudi Arabia because 'he was directly associated with persons responsible for the terrorist attacks in the US on Sept 11, 2001'. He is reported to have been arrested at Palmerston North where he was 'undertaking pilot training'. The papers are reporting that the 'authorities did not have any specific evidence of a specific plan for a terrorist attack'.

Bit close to home, huh? Maybe ASICS are necessary after all? Perhaps there is much more we do not know...

(Sorry Woom, I see more details of this on the DG Q's Forum)

muddergoose
11th Jun 2006, 00:44
To my knowledge NZ doesn't have ASIC cards. If that is the case then the deporting of the said character proves the current processes are adequate and the ASIC card is superfluous:D . Is it possible your NZ Government do not see it as a ratings winner? :yuk:

Dark Knight
11th Jun 2006, 00:46
Do not think anyone is arguing ASIC's are not necessary just that the implementation and their usefullness should be carried out in a cost effective, professional, competent and ept manner.

The documents should also be a modern bio metric form, difficult to forge and readily identified as genuine.

DK

Spodman
11th Jun 2006, 02:46
Bit close to home, huh? Maybe ASICS are necessary after all? Perhaps there is much more we do not know...
How is this relevant? You don't need an ASIC to fly or to learn to fly.

Another way to look at the current state of the ASIC is that the tool that was meant to regulate access to the most critical parts of our largest airports is now watered down to the point that you need one to walk the dog, so every man & his dog has one! Complete wank.:ugh: :ugh:

wrongthong
11th Jun 2006, 03:13
What I am trying to say is that the inconvenience to the many of us might actually have been necessary, amongst other security means, to identify/ weed out and maybe prevent nefarious actions yet unknown to us all. OK, so 30000 cards might be a pain in the arse for weeding out 40 'undesirables' but maybe just maybe there's more than we know that may never be revealed. As far as the badly implemented process, well, that's par for the course in Canberra these days. The politicians seem to think that when they say 'it must happen' you don't need to first check if there are resources available to do it.

currawong
11th Jun 2006, 10:35
Curious he wasn't picked up at the border in the first place.:confused:

Oh that's super!
11th Jun 2006, 11:36
Maybe it's the immigration control they should be tightening up!

Blue Sky Baron
13th Jun 2006, 02:36
I wonder just how many applications for an ASIC have been denied due to the applicant being 'undesireable'?

It would be nice to know that all this fuss actually achieved something, although I somehow think we will never know.

BSB

Oh that's super!
13th Jun 2006, 08:26
I vaguely remember reading in one Friday Australian that there were supposedly 32 denials of aviation security clearance (not sure if it was just for ASICs or both ASICs and AVIDs), but I might have imagined it.

currawong
13th Jun 2006, 12:08
About three years ago ASIO rechecked (read re-issue not involving new card) all ASIC holders.

There was a handful of investigations, however no adverse findings as a result.

Could be now they are looking harder.

Unhinged
13th Jun 2006, 14:09
WT,
What I am trying to say is that the inconvenience to the many of us might actually have been necessary, amongst other security means, to identify/ weed out and maybe prevent nefarious actions yet unknown to us all.

On the contrary, New Zealand doesn't have ASIC cards and any "nefarious actions" were very effectively prevented without them. Therefore it is a very clear demonstration that the job can be done completely effectively without such inconvenience.

Currawong & OTS:
According to the newspapers ..., the guy was up-front when he entered NZ. Obviously there's much more to the story than we know, but there's some suggestion the USAmericans wanted him let into NZ in order to at least keep track of where he was.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=1&ObjectID=10386043

Bendo
15th Jun 2006, 14:46
A bloke I know is a LAME and, pending a successful security check, a PPL.

.... but hang on....

- He had a security check for his student pilot licence; and
- He then had a security check for his ASIC, being one of them important "fix the aeroplane I just broke" type guys; and
- he then had a security check for the issue of his aircraft fixer Licence.

... and then the ATO had CASA on the phone saying "take the sticky strip out of his logbook because he needs another security check before you can give him his PPL.

All this for a bloke born and bred in the small country town he lives in, never been further away than Sydney, and at $140 a pop.

And all within 18 months! :ugh:

wrongthong
16th Jun 2006, 12:22
Seems to me that the '$140 a pop' is the worst of the problem. As I've said elsewhere cost-recovery for being security-checked which is hardly a service is blithering madness. Talk about economists alienating an industry with CASA the meat in the sandwich.