PDA

View Full Version : Cathay Pacific - Strike imminent!

mngmt mole
3rd May 2001, 23:05
Cathay pilots are planning massive industrial action to protest against the unending and malicious attacks against them by management. The latest 'Absence Management' program is a thinly designed threat to cripple and hinder our careers, and is a direct threat to Flight Safety, and endangers the travelling public in a real and material way. It is a step too far. The policies and tactics of CX management represent the leading edge of the movement to devalue the worth and career prospects for ALL aircrew worldwide. Other managements are watching closely how succesfull these policies will be. We have had enough, and cannot sit by any longer and watch our careers destroyed. Hopefully we will have the support of our colleagues at other carriers through this upcoming difficult time.

PoodleVelour
3rd May 2001, 23:12
Good Luck, in many ways, like BA, the industry benchmark you guys set is of vital importance to all of us, from Gill Air to British Midland. Sadly, envy often distorts reality, and that is what management rely on. You've got my vote!

------------------
Arf, arf, arf!!

canuck revenger
3rd May 2001, 23:16
Appreciate all the support from our colleagues within the industry. The success of the US carriers in setting the the proper worth of this profession needs to be emulated. It is time to stop the disrespect we suffer from the bean-counters. Their arrogance is truly breathtaking, and I for one look forward to witnessing their downfall.

Bourbon-on-the-rocks
3rd May 2001, 23:27
How aircrew use the word "arrogance" about others, and manage to keep a straight face at the same time, will forever remain a mystery to beancounters!

flt_lt_w_mitty
4th May 2001, 01:29
As with accounting, I suspect!

The Resistance
4th May 2001, 03:16
...the hairs on their a-ses remain a mystery to most bean counters......other than the hairs on the ar-es of other bean-counters... :)

Underdog
4th May 2001, 12:47
Just my tuppence worth.

I fully support any industrial action that people feel they need to take to get what they deserve.

However, I take exception to slagging of 'beancounters' in general. My next-door neighbour is an accountant (how would you like to be called a driver?) and a thoroughly nice bloke he is too. Most mistrust is generated from lack of understanding - on both sides.

Accountants may see your salary as an expense without seeing the hidden assets that we all undoubtedly are. They never do get to see how good we are because the only time our 'brilliance' shines through - nothing happens, i.e. it doesn't make the newspapers because of our prompt actions etc. All that they, and the public in general, see are the f^ck ups we occassionally make - because they do make the headlines.

Likewise, we never get to see their great masterstrokes, because until we lose money their job is pretty transparent to us. I for one don't get off on manipulating figures and going to meetings - it would drive me nuts - hell my tax return is enough of a chore that I'm glad its only once a year. A bit of mutual respect for each others 'profession' would do wonders for everybodies interests.

That said, if you need to strike, as we may later in the year, bloody good luck to you. It's a sad state of affairs when it gets this far but that's mis-management not necessarily poor accounting. (Although it could be of course :-) )

ATB

Underdog

Paladini
7th May 2001, 22:53
IBID my comment in "Massive Cathay Strike"!

411A
8th May 2001, 03:39
All of this "promising" about massive strikes......but STILL no action.

cxfcpax
8th May 2001, 10:39
I have purchased a CX/** Round the World ticket (first class) last month and the majority of the segments are on CX. Anyone have an idea of what will happen if CX really does goes on strike?
I have spent a lot of money on this ticket hoping to experience CX's first class service and is a "trip of a lifetime" for me.

In the event of a strike, what will CX do?

My CX segments are as follows:
CX 250 LHR HKG
CX 701 HKG BKK
CX 713 BKK SIN
CX 734 SIN HKG
CX 838 HKG YVR

All of these segments occur from mid-June to early-July.

I hope that if CX pilots really do go on a massive strike, PLEASE DON'T MAKE IT LAST TOO LONG !!

[This message has been edited by cxfcpax (edited 09 May 2001).]

[This message has been edited by cxfcpax (edited 09 May 2001).]