PDA

View Full Version : KLM to New York

Edinburgher
10th Jun 2006, 16:13
Hi Folks

My other half and myself are planning a wee trip to New York this November. Having done a bit of online research it appears that the best value flights from Edinburgh are with KLM via Amsterdam. We would probably go out on the early morning flight to Newark (which I believe is on one of KLM's new A330s) and then return via JFK on an evening flight on either a B777 or the later evening flight on B747.

The fares that are being advertised look very good - about £300 all in - but I was just wondering what KLM are like for long haul as I've only ever flown them short haul before. If possible, we would like to get seats with a bit of extra legroom on the long haul sector, as the other half is nearly 6' 7" (200.66 cm). Is it possible to arrange exit seats in advance for the longhaul, given the fact that we will be getting a cityhopper connecting flight on the outbound leg from EDI to AMS, and I don't think that KLM have any dedicated ground crew at EDI these days, just handling agents?

Of course, if anyone wants to suggest an alternate airline for getting to NYC from EDI on the cheap, I'd be more than happy to hear from you.

perkin
10th Jun 2006, 19:33
according to a colleague (flying AMS to Houston) they are as bad long haul as they are short haul, and that was in business class...!

PAXboy
10th Jun 2006, 20:21
Looking at sites that report seat pitch, I read that KLM 'Y' = 31 or 32 and that makes them standard with everyone else.

One alternative might be that, rather than the short flight this side of the Pond, look at flights to the North American Eastern Seaboard and then connect to NYC, for example GLA to BOS with Continental.

The issue about booking exit rows has been discussed here many times and the answer is No, it cannot be booked in advance. There have been countless threads of those who turn up to be the first in the queue when check-in opens, so as to ask for the exit row and, guess what? They are all pre-booked! Many stories of sobs and anger and frustration. Some carriers are selling these seats at a premium with the proviso that they can change the allocation when they see that you use a walking stick, for example.

I have heard of Charter carriers doing this and some main lines also starting it, so you might buy a package deal and be able to pre-book. If you can find a carrier that will allow you to book these by paying a surcharge, then you have found your carrier. OTOH they will not be selling the seats for a round trip of £300 each. ;)

Those that offer Premium Economy cabins (VS + BA) only give 38" pitch and the price jumps A LOT. So, if price is your overriding concern, I suggest that your other half (sounds more like One and a Half!) must expect to be uncomfortable during the flight.

PPRuNe Radar
11th Jun 2006, 17:03
One alternative might be that, rather than the short flight this side of the Pond, look at flights to the North American Eastern Seaboard and then connect to NYC, for example GLA to BOS with Continental.

Doesn't make a lot of sense when COA do both EDI and GLA direct to EWR.

To go via BOS to NYC you'd have to go EDI or GLA to EWR, then change to get to BOS, then get a flight back to JFK. Probably only a worthwhile route if you are a spotter or like collecting airports ;) Or wish to double your journey time !!

PAXboy
11th Jun 2006, 17:51
Thanks for correction. I had no idea CO did the direct route to EWR. I have used EWR many times and found it about equal to JFK. That is, equally good or bad, as you wish to see it!

wizo
17th Jun 2006, 09:21
I have flown KLM four times in the last year, and twice they have lost my bags. They were returned within two days. If you are going to New York for a long weekend make sure you have some essentials in your hand luggage.

Avman
17th Jun 2006, 10:35
I have flown KLM four times in the last year, and twice they have lost my bags

Oh yes, quite famous for that are KLM. I have suffered the same fate on about 50% of my connecting (long haul) flights with them through Schiphol. It's been going on ever since a new baggage system was introduced (quite some years ago). It was supposed to have improved, but obviously not. The problem is mainly with relatively tight (but approved) connections with long haul flights. As a way of avoiding the problem I decided that when schedules permitted me to do so, I would opt for a longer connecting time at SPL and, so far, this paid off.

RickVisitor
18th Jun 2006, 19:56
I thought that emergency exit seats on KLM were allocated to the frequent flyer members first, the better seats available for the gold etc,

You could try the online check-in to select a seat as early as possible.

AlphaWhiskyRomeo
18th Jun 2006, 23:05
Thanks for correction. I had no idea CO did the direct route to EWR. I have used EWR many times and found it about equal to JFK. That is, equally good or bad, as you wish to see it!

I have found CO to be spot on with the transatlantic flights I have taken with them from and to the UK.

AUTOGLIDE
19th Jun 2006, 10:34
I flew Manchester - Hong Kong via AMS this year with KLM. Overall was very impressed. Ticket price was good , all flights were punctual, and the gates at AMS were really close so even with 1hr 35 Min transit there was no rush. The aircraft AMS-HKG-AMS was a 747 Combi, nice enough but no seat back video, the overhead monitor near me was defective and the seat pitch felt rather tight (perception over reality maybe - don't know KLM's seat pitch).
But again, overall was impressed enough not to moan about it, which is good 'cause I hate flying...

phnuff
19th Jun 2006, 17:00
I used to use KLM on long haul via Stanstead (KLM UK Or Air UK). They lost my bags once on a trip to Abu Dhabi , but generally, found them to be very good with very very good pasta on offer in economy. I also found them to be pretty good at offering upgrades after a few trips.

On the subject of bags being lost, I once spent a couple of hours watching trains of baggage carts driving around AMS A couple of bags fell off into a puddle. An hour or so later, they were still there despite having been driven past by x numbers of baggage trains and other vehicles. It didn't inspire confidence:=

angels
20th Jun 2006, 08:01
phnuff - My in-laws had the interesting experience of seeing their luggage at Schipol in pouring rain in an uncovered wagon.

Trouble was, my in-laws were taxying out to take off to visit me and the wife in Hong Kong. Yip, they actually saw their own bags from the plane!

The baggage arrived two days after they did and, yes, it was wet.

The only redeeming factor was they got upgraded for the trip back.