PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Blue Recruitment (Merged)

Pages : [1] 2 3

Iulia
10th Jun 2006, 12:34
Heya there ppl, just wanting to know if anyone can help me out by calming my nerves a bit with some info about Virgin Blue Recruitment Days. I'm going to an interview this Thursday for it (Cabin Crew- Melbourne), and eventhough I've read their outline of the day, I want to know more (from any of you who have experience this)... is it really competitive? Are there many attractive people there? Are the group performance tasks hard? About how many people attend these days... are we talking 50, 100 or 200? Most importantly, what should I wear? Black pin-stripe pants with a white feminine-sort of shirt alright? And should my medium length blonde hair be tied back in a ponytail or bun? Sleeked back with hairspray, or let loose? Eye liner make-up or not?
And does anyone know if they are biased towards 18-year olds in the bad sense? I have (just) over 3 yrs experience in customer service and am currently working in a library (casual). I'm meant to be completing my yr12 this year, but am willing to go straight into work with Virgin if I really have to... is there any chance that by the time training starts (IF i were to even get THAT far...) it'll have been about 3 months? Because thats when I'll have finished school and graduated... do they measure you on the day, with or without heels?
I'm so worried that I don't stand a chance... I have all the certificates/documents required, all valid... but still, I'm so nervous!
HELP!:uhoh:
PS- is speaking a foreign language and level1 sign language an advantage with Virgin?
Thanks in advance!!:ok:

Iulia
10th Jun 2006, 13:51
:confused: Surely there has to be someone here that has gone to a VBRD before...?

fly_away
10th Jun 2006, 23:35
gal! you need to chill out, for one reason that the recruitment officers can see right through it, and lets think about it you dont want to have a nervous showing person in an aircraft when something is going wrong.
so lets jsut take a breather...........
now i could work for virgin as cabin crew, i went throuhg the interview process two years ago so i know it has been changed with the layout of it, however they are still looking for the same behavioural things.
1. your not nervous.....remember that, so relax and try and have fun and take it as a learning curve.
2. remember smile smile smile, you HAVE to be approchable.
3. most important......three words remember...........COMMUNICATION, SAFTEY, TEAM WORKING. i'm not going to tell you but think about why those things are important to an airline. what would happen if you didnt have those three things.
4. when your answering the questions they ask you in the one on one interview they will want your answers to be exact......for example......" today i went on the computer and went to the website and found this gal asking questions about vb interview. i then decised to write to her, i did this because i know how it felt when i was going for my first interview." get it???? and remember to relate everything back to those three words.
5. interact as much as you can.........but dont be pushy...........listen to others...but dont sit back and say nothing...do not talk over people........use body language........knod your head when you agree with somone...........praise others..........encourage others.............be confident............remember "you are woman give me power"!!!.......and remember....yes you are competing againsed others but try and work as a team it helps.

Clothing..............personally........suit with skirt.tan stockings. thats jsut my personal oppinion.
Hair..........neat a must. no re-growth. if its really long yes bun it. if its about shoulder length abit longer just a below the nape of the neck. and i know it sounds stupid but put a red,pink,whatever ribbon in it so that your a touch diff to everone else.
Eye makeup............yes, remember your not going clubbing so no pander eyes or smokey eyes. plain black or brown eyeliner with mascara, and lipgloss/stick all day a must. eye shadow if you want but dont over do it.
Age..............you jsut have to be 18. but be a mature 18. if youve travelled on your own,lived on your own that will help so try and incorporate that in your answers.
there might be 100people there. some are nice some are....well you know.
talk to everyone in breaks at the start a must.
remember its like big brother...........someone is always watching you.
dont want to scare you but there may be a recruitment officer that will be "undercover" should we say. so be carefull about what you say to everyone. rememebr everone looks great and do not bitch about anyone.
Dont worry about language.
VCE a must.
Height dont worry.

hope this helps babe. good luck, and chill out!
oh go onto the "anything to do with emarites" bit and go to like pages 70ish and find my post called "how the emarites interview day went in melbourne" the questions vb will ask will be similar to those.;)

Sylphie
11th Jun 2006, 02:54
Hi! I went to a VRD very recently [about 12 days ago] and got through to the last stage. After nearly a week I was told I was unsuccsessful but I think the reason I got so far was a lot down to the threads I read here and the helpful PMs I received up to the day.

I wouldn't say it was overwhelmingly competitive, but that is all down to your attitude. I'm not an overly confident person but decided that the only way I'd be noticed and be successfull was to get myself out there and think positive. It really helped. There are a lot of young girls. In my VRD there was 35 candidates. About 12 of those were male. The age range was approx. 20-25 for girls and it appeared by chatting with all the candidates that the males were about 25-28. Remember this is all on average. Ther ewere 18yo's there too. In talking to the receptionist at the hotel I discovered there was also a VRD the day before ours, the same amount of people present.

I noticed pretty much everyone looked the part. Everyone was neatly groomed, you got your occasional casually dressed person but most were fitted in suits and skirt suits. The appearance of the successfully shortlisted people were a wide range. The guys all wore suits or dress pants and a bright shirt. There was one woman who was CC before this interview and wore black pants and a black shirt, her hair was down, which a lot of girls thought was innapropriate.. but she was very well spoken and calm.. Just goes to show it's the whole package they are after! I know VB had the image of a supermodel airline a few years back, but it's not like that at all! Of the unsuccessful people I was mingling with, I noticed a few things they had in common, they were too confident, and a little 'loud' and said a couple of things they shouldn't have. Your outfit sounds fine, a lot of successful girls were wearing pants etc. I wore a grey plaid pencil skirt, white shirt and black tights/heels. I just tied my hair back in a high ponytail, like most girls. there were a few with buns/french rolls, and as long as your hair isn't sticking to your head with too much product you can wear whatever styling product on it. Fly_away's idea of a red ribbon is a good idea, I had a black one in my hair, and I noticed the DJs girls had these too. Kinda funny coincidence. With makeup, keep your face looking natural, you will see the Recruitment team all have an attractive minimal look. Clear skin, pink lips, natural eyes, some liner and mascara and most importantly, clean, manicured nails.

They don't talk about height at all, although they state on the requirements that you must be between a certain height, I think they can guage that from looking at you quite well. I think if you get to the medical they will measure your height/weight etc officially.

The group performance tasks are not hard at all!!! We did two tasks, one was introducing yourself to the group you are seated in [approx 7 people] and the assesor. Just have some interesting thing to say about yourself, pay attention and don't talk over people. They are looking for people who can fit in without causing interruption, people who sit back are also not favourably looked upon. You will have to present a product/company or idea type thing in front of the rest of the candidates. This is the crucial time where you have to get noticed, it's not about your activity, more about how you all worked together.. the whole time the assesors are writng notes about you, rating you, you have to contribute, they are looking at how you interract, how you presented your idea and the audiences reaction. Be able to laugh at yourself because it gets silly, the things you have to sell are fun. ;)

Any kind of language experience is a plus. But make sure you can walk the walk because if you've said you can speak a language, they will want to see it in action on the spot.

They KNOW you are nervous, even tell them that in your on the spot interview, I had a great lady who was very accomodating, If you feel stuck or need time to collect your answer they are fine with it. They are writing a lot at this point anyway. The 5 min interview is relaxed, you'll be shocked at how nervous you were, afterward. They ask you general questions, remember this part is all about how they read you, what first impressions are you setting for them? They ask about your current work, why you want to be a F/A and why you chose Virgin.

After this stage they send you all away for about 40mins. Whilst we all got coffee, I realised how quickly this process must be for them, if it takes 40mins and there's 35 people, they spend literally one minute discussing you, then they make a decision and move on to the next person. So make sure you say all you want to say!

We came back and were handed letters, a lot of people went home, about 15 of us were asked back in a few hours. There is a role play where you are given a situation you have to solve it and the interview which lasts 45mins. The interview is very chilled out, they ask about certain situations at work, the way you have to answer it is like this: The issue, how you resolved it, the outcome. Try and be aware of that in the interview, they don't want a massive story, just a quick three-four sentence answer. if they require more it is asked of you.

I hope all that helps. if you need anything more PM me. :D
Good luck!
Have fun!

Iulia
11th Jun 2006, 08:55
Heya girls, and xoxoxoxox so much for the replies!! Today I went 'clothes' shopping for the interview together with my bf and we chose these nice/comfortable dressy black pants, a nice white shirt and a torquise fitted jacket. I already have a nice fitted pinstripe suit (skirt & jacket) but don't really like my legs, and would feel more comfortable in pants so I think I'd be k with what I purchased today.
About the language... I speak/write/read Romanian extremely well as both my parents are Romanian and this is all we ever spoke at home, and also I've been to Romania 5 times since 1994, especially now as I got older. Thus, I've been to Italy, Singapore, Hong Kong, Russia, Austria for a few days at a time as it was on our way to Ro.
Sylphie, when you say "they will want to see it in action on the spot" about language, does that mean they will ask me to say some sentence/greeting in Romanian, eventhough they wont understand it? LOL I'll feel like such an idiot, but oh well... whatever I gotta do, I gotta do! And also sign language (my neighbour was deaf and used to teach me as he was also an instructor for Auslan at TAFE), will they probably ask me to sign something too? Do you know this for sure, I mean, did they ask someone to do that there?
And fly_away... you say VCE is a must... well, I'm currently in yr 12 and I figure that by the time training school were to start (once again, wishful thinking that I'd even get so far!!) I'd finish my yr 12 as I only have 14 more weeks left to go and then 4 exams. Do they accept a yr 11 pass? Worst case if I gotta drop out of school, I'm willing to!
And also fly_away, about age... maturity etc... I had to leave home over a year ago, just after I turned 17 as my father was extremely violent to my mother, me and the rest of my siblings due to his religion which dictated he bet us up etc... so ever since I've lived with my bf, I cook and clean as if I am a mother of 10 children, I've been working since I was 15 in customer service, am an A-grade student at my school, recieved scholarships and awards each year, have my very own car/licence and have had manager access to tills at work, the work safe, account details etc, so I'm pretty reliable in a sense, I have no bad history. I guess I never had a choice but to grow up real fast in the last year or so, living out of home.. the only thing I'm worried about is my not having finished VCE yet... but I'll mention that to them, that I figure by the time things go through with Virgin, I'd have finished my yr 12.
Sylphie, did you happen to know of any youngsters (18yrs) or ones that looked about that age, that went through to the second stage?
I'm just nervous here, whilst at home as I tap away on the laptop... but so excited about it too... ever since I first travelled internationally in 1994 (was only 6yrs!) I said to mum and dad pointing to the ladies (F/A) 'when I grow up, I wanna be like them!' lol
Yeh I definately gotta contribute to group activities etc with a positive attitude, whilst at the same time not appear overpowering in the group.
Girls, thanks again for all your help! The only negatives I see at the moment are my height of 156cm and not having finished yr12 yet... and then of course, it all depends on how things go on Thursday... hopefully my language skills and history of customer service will be enough for them to overlook these two obstacles... fingers crossed! Thanks again, you're both angels! xox

wayoutwest
11th Jun 2006, 09:18
g/day Iulia.let us all know how you get on

Iulia
11th Jun 2006, 09:27
Fingers crossed for myself and future generations... lol of course I will post info about my day this Thursday.. :uhoh:

Iulia
12th Jun 2006, 08:03
:ugh: til my VBRD!

smile
12th Jun 2006, 10:17
Iulia,
You sound like a young lady who has been through a lot in your life and come out the better for it at the other end. I am going to be bold and offer you a little bit of advice.

Flying as cabin crew is not the career it used to be! You will be working long hours in a very physical job. The job will be nasty to your health, social life and home life. We are currently near the end (fingers crossed) of negotiating our new EBA and from what I have seen, and been told in discussion with both the Union and company representatives, the job is about to get a little harder. Please don’t think I am telling you this to scare you off your dream, you will always look back with regret if you don’t follow your heart.

However I am a little concerned that you would be willing to quit school to pursue a flying career. Like I mentioned above flying is not the career it used to be. I would personally hate to see someone with your potential not have something to fall back onto. You may say now that this is the job you want until you retire, I know I had big plans of being the “nanna” on the crew, but over the last few years I have grown into a different person and am currently making plans for a different career not too far in the future.
You mentioned that you only have 14 weeks left until you finish your schooling. Please please please finish. This will be important for getting into cabin crew and very important for any future roles you may wish to pursue within Virgin Blue.

Everything you have listed makes you an excellent candidate for this job and will still put you above the crowd in 14 weeks time. Not to mention, Virgin Blue has some big plans in the not too distant future with an international airline to the USA currently going through feasibility studies. So there will be many opportunities for a long time to come.

I hope you don’t think that I am trying to turn you off the job, it truly is different to anything else out there, but having your education is one of the most important things to start off you life in the “real world”, and when you are so close I would hate to see you give it up.

Iulia
13th Jun 2006, 05:07
Hi Smile, thanks for all your concern! But to put your mind a bit at ease... what I meant by willing to quit school is: IF Virgin says 'nope, you can't do it unless you're available 24/7 immediately' then I will have to quit school, and this is okai because I have a 'back up' plan for this... I'd do yr 12 at TAFE which wont take me long, less than a year in evening classes as I did some year 12 subjects whilst in year 11 last year (therefore, I have previous unit 3&4). In a sense, I'm extremely organised, I never leave things to the last minute and I always anticipate worst case scenarios. For example... this Thursday, if I don't pass the round 1 of the VBRD, I will come back home utilise my day by visiting my local GP as I need to get another perscription from him... and then I'll go visit my old neighbour who is now in a nursing home... thus I am making full use of my day, even if I'll be sad that I didn't pass the round 1. LOL my boyfriend has become a lot like me too and now makes himself sticky note reminders of due dates for bills, events etc just as I do.
Most importantly, I really hope to be able to complete my year 12 as there are just about 14weeks left, and today I spoke to my careers co-ordinator at school (or otherwise known as 'career advisor') and he said that surely Virgin would have no problem with my still being in yr 12 as I'll have completed it by the time they start training school etc (IF i get THAT far!) so I'm not too stressed about the whole education part... another things is that when I applied online, it asked what qualifications I had and whether I had completed it; I put down VCE yr12 and NO for having not yet completed it, and yet Virgin has sent me out an invite to their VBRD... so I guess it musn't be a big deal for them.
Also... my mum gave me a good idea and said that I can defer for one year from going to Uni, and work that year with Virgin so that if worst case, my life becomes horrid, I can always continue with Uni. My back-up plan when it comes to my career, is to become a librarian which I need to go to Uni for 3yrs full-time.
However, my ideal life would be to jump straight into a full-time job as I love being amongst adults and serving the public. Whenever I have a day off from school, or know of a curriculum day in advance, I always email the lady at headquarters of the library where I work and she finds me a shift (to replace someone away/sick) so I can work and make the extra $$$ I need since living away from home.
I have things pretty well planned, and trust me if it really were up to me, I'd love to complete my VCE at my current school. But I doubt that'll be a problem... realistically, by the time Virgin sort through medical reports, make lists of names/students for training school... surely 14 weeks will have passed and I'll have finished VCE.
And another thing is that I don't have this image of life as a F/A being all glamorous, partying in other states etc, in fact, thats not even my style. Even before turning 18 and now after, I don't really enjoy clubbing and rarely go unless its for a special occassion (eg, someone's 21st) but thats not to say I'm some loner or something like that! My bf and I prefer to have our friends over for dinner, pizza/movie nights etc... we're just not into that whole partying scene, we're pretty much settled as a couple.
Smile, can you please tell me (seeing as it seems you work for Virgin etc) whether it does take about 14 weeks after the whole VBRD for them to organise training school? And, is the fact that I'm 18 going to cause any concern to them? It can be said that I have a lot of life experience, and so I'm hoping that they wont be seeing me as an ordinary (stereotypical) 18-yr old girl.
Having worked at the library, meeting people's request, be they strange projects or countries I've never before heard of deep in Africa... I believe I have a lot of knowledge and experience when it comes to customer service, and I hope that the Virgin assesors can see that as an advantage... I mean, how much deeper can a person get when dealing with the public?:8
Also... my bf wants to know what you mean by the job being nasty to your health... do you mean deep vein thrombosis??
I'm not too concerned about the long hours and standing on my feet... working in retail I used to wear heels even on my 12-hour shifts believe it or not :)
But Smile I want to say once again a big thanks, and I'd really appreciate it if you do manage to reply to my queries... preferably by this Thursday! :)
xoxox!

smile
13th Jun 2006, 06:49
Hi Iulia,
check your PM

Iulia
13th Jun 2006, 21:43
Smile and Milbud :)
thankssssssss! xoxoxox

Dookie on Drums
13th Jun 2006, 22:06
Iulia best of luck there. Smile makes some very good points regarding your schooling however as you said you can complete it via TAFE. No different to the many who complete UNI degrees etc while on the job. :ok:

Great company to work for with plenty of ups and downs but always there to support your growth onwards and upwards so long as you have to drive and ambition to do so. I have done this through 2 different departments and about to embark on yet another!:E

Anyway like the others we are looking forward to hear how you went so you go girl! :ok:

Sylphie
14th Jun 2006, 03:29
Also... my bf wants to know what you mean by the job being nasty to your health... do you mean deep vein thrombosis??

DVT is one but not that common, at least I haven't heard of many FA's sufferring from it. Things like the drying of your skin/hair. Tiredness from being overworked. Being susceptible to colds and other airborne ailments. Those kind of things are more common.

But you can do heaps to prevent or treat these problems. :ok:

Iulia
14th Jun 2006, 06:00
Look at me... I'm like a kid counting down the nights til Christmas! lol

Well 'Dookie on Drums' TAFE is definately a last resort/back-up... though tis preferable for me to finish HS in the next 14 weeks at my current school... but who knows! :) There's no shame in completing my VCE via TAFE anyway, and I'd have to do less subjects than I'm doing currently because its at TAFE, so thats like a bonus. But, I don't want to think about that at the moment...

Hmm... DVT... well at least as Sylphie says some measures can be taken to prevent or even treat health problems caused by being a F/A... namely... I'd have to get my butt into gear and go to a gym! lol if they were to tell me "you've got the job, so long as you work out at least 3hrs at the gym everynight" I'd do it! haha And mind you... this is me who used to skip PE classes is junior years...

Anyway... very thankful to you all for your posts! I'll be as attentive as possible tomorrow, and hoepfully come back with more info for any future F/A wannabes... everyone's been so helpful!
Thankyou again!
xoxox meeeeeeeee :p

flitegirl
14th Jun 2006, 07:43
Iulia...

you don't have to become a gym freak to stay healthy:ok:

Just do the normal stuff to achieve a good level of fittness - go for walks or jogs on your layovers, take your vitimins, and eat well. Take your own food to eat at work - much better than that yuk airline food:sad:

Plus the job keeps you pretty fit too, being on your feet a lot. Much better than sitting behind a desk!

So relax!! Just concentrate on your application. Don't worry about the hazards of the job - they're pretty easy to avoid. I've had less illness during my 7 years in the air than at any other time in my life.

Good luck. :)

fly_away
14th Jun 2006, 07:54
Iluia

Dont quote me and i dont knwo for sure in black and white ink but as far as i know you have to have VCE, however virgin is open to new people and new things.....give them a reason to want you.....tell them that you have A-grades, your a high achiever, your responsible etc. make them want you.

i think that you have a good asset when you talk about looking after your brothers and sisters being pretty much a mother to them....good on you girl thats fantastic i admire people like you, if you get the oppertunity tell them that, that shows that your pretty dam resopnsible and that no problem is too big for you. if you do let them know about that they will ask you how you will cope in a shift work job looking after your sibilings. so it could and could not work in your favour.

look it sounds like your pretty well driven to me so go in with confidence and let them know that . i do agree with the advise that 'smile' gave you, it is important to have VCE. you may not think its important now but years down the track you'll regret if you gave it up. and in this industry there is a very high turnover of people so an airline will be recruiting all the time.

it cant hurt to go to the interview, each one i have been to ive learnt so much about what they are looking for and even learnt so much about myself, however i'm pretty sure once you get through to a certain stage you cant apply again until a year later so think about that too.
Id definatelly take into consideration what 'smile' said, she sounds like she knows what she talking about,with the EBA etc, and if shes talking to the union shes getting pretty useful information. thats comming from me who is not in the union and there has been many times when i have needed their help or advise.

good luck babe!

Iulia
14th Jun 2006, 08:37
Awww... fly_away thats really sweet of you, but I must correct an error I seem to have made... when I said "I cook and clean as if I am a mother of 10 children" I meant it in the sense that I'm a very hard worker in my house, I don't like takeaway, rather I prefer my own casseroles and roasts with loads of vegetables and salads. My sister is 24yrs and married with two children (though often I have baby sat them as I have my own home [rent]) and my eldest brother is 22yrs also married, and with two children (have his youngest over at my place for nights on most weekends). And then I have a younger brother who is 15yrs and still living with my parents.
Children are beautiful, be they black, yellow, red or white (as the song goes), and I love all of my neices and nephews very much. In the job description with Virgin it says something about having to do face painting, and nanny up to 8 unaccompanied minors- this would be a pleasure.
I enjoy working amongst adults very much, whilst at the same time like to see the smile on a childs face when I hand them something etc, this is what draws me to customer service. I enjoy the face to face interaction which I've been having in the last 3yrs of working, and I believe that working for Virgin Blue would definately be an enjoyable company, and even more, given the chance to travel! :)

fly_away
14th Jun 2006, 08:54
you go gal any way!!

give it your best shot, if you dont get it the first time go for it again and again until you get what you want. dotn give up on something you've always wanted because then you would be selling yourself short and remember as i believe in...your telling your story so dont let anyone write it for you.

Iulia
14th Jun 2006, 08:58
Hehehe thanks :) am going to cook dinner now, and afterwards get my bf to do the dishes as I gotta iron my outfit for tomorrow lol i get out of doing dishes tonight, he has no choice!
Me feeling sick, occassional headspins... I don't understand why I'm so nervous! I think its the fact that I gotta wait another 12mnths if things don't go right tomorrow... bummer... :)

Ozzy747
14th Jun 2006, 10:18
Hey Iulia,

im a Qantas Long Haul Flight attendant. i was reading through your thread. look gal- dont worry too much about tomorrow,ok. i know its easy for me to say this, but dont worry!

if its meant to be- its meant to be. give it your best shot,at least if you dont get it you can say 'oh well i tried my best' .

if it doesnt work out this time- remember there is always something better out there for you!

keep your chin up!

im sure you'll be fine!

cheers!

Iulia
14th Jun 2006, 10:35
:bored: Thanks Ozzy747... but you're sounding an awful lot like my bf, he keeps telling me 'if its meant to be, its meant to be'. I envy your position as a Qantas Long Haul Flight Attendent, as I'm too midget for that great company... :uhoh: lol jks nah good onya thats great and thanks for the encouragment, I'll definately enjoy tomorrow my VBRD and in the worst case, at least I have come out of it with the experience of an interview for flight attending and will know more of what to expect in the future should I decide to reapply :)

Ozzy747
14th Jun 2006, 10:42
should you decide to re apply???? GAL! YOU WILL RE APPLY!!!! Ova and ova and ova again! neva giv up.

i am based in Auckland. i had to move here for the job. im origionally from australia. want to move back at the end of the year.

Iulia
14th Jun 2006, 10:47
lol awww okai if you insist... nah the thing that buggers me is that I'd have to renew my CPR... waste of money... lol :)

Ozzy747
14th Jun 2006, 10:57
well its not really a waste of money, if your really passionate about doing the job.

your gunna be fine, dont forget to write something tomorrow i want to know how you went!

: )

Sylphie
14th Jun 2006, 11:05
should you decide to re apply???? GAL! YOU WILL RE APPLY!!!! Ova and ova and ova again! neva giv up.

Absolutely!! If worst comes to worst and you don't make it through the day, god willing, you have other airlines to choose from and other positions to use to make your way into CC. Never give up. That's what I'm doing. ;)

And please make sure you fill us all in on your success, which I'm sure it will be! :O

Iulia
14th Jun 2006, 19:57
Gone to VBRD.... wish me luck! :}

smile
15th Jun 2006, 08:16
Beachboy66,
I noticed that this is your first post on Pprune so just a quick little education.....
If you are going to point out the negative points of an airline be aware that there are many who work for that airline on this forum. Get your facts straight.
The pay is crap
Whilst there are defiantly airlines and other types of employment that pay better than Virgin, I can assure you that the money is pretty good for the amount of hours you are rostered and the ‘qualifications’ you require for the job.
all youll now do is round trip days. So for example you will start like this , syd/mel/adl/mel/bne/syd . Thats your day
The “day trip” you described is not legal under our EBA (or the previous one); it is too many sectors and too many hours.
All they are doing now is employing you fro less than 6 months and before you know it your out the door. This is helped on by Johnnny babe

Maybe you should read up a little more on the new government reforms. Due to the conditions that we are employed under at Virgin, the company cannot employ you for six months and then terminate your employment. (Unless there is good reason- ie stealing, misconduct, harassment etc)
No! Virgin is not a perfect employer- but lets face it who is! Look at all the troubles our friends over at Qantas are having.
Iulia don't forget to post how you went at the recruitment day!!

Ozzy747
15th Jun 2006, 09:29
Well???????

how did you go Iulia???

im sure the interview would have been over bye now......lol

wirgin blew
15th Jun 2006, 10:31
I think beachbum66 is taking the pi$$ out of us smile. Perhaps report them to the moderators instead.

smile
15th Jun 2006, 10:35
HI wirgin blew- I was putting my money on BB66 being "let go" by virgin- possibly for one of the reasons I mentioned in my post:E :E :E

Iulia
15th Jun 2006, 11:29
Heya Believers-in-ME! :) lol except for "beachboy66" <- I want you off this thread if you're gonna be a meany....
ANyway! My day was AWESOME! It was so much fun!! When everyone kept telling me 'you're gonna have a great time' etc, I didn't really understand... how? But now I see! Virgin is an awesome company, the recruitment officers WERE awesome! I had so much fun...
I'll give y'all a rundown of my day, it'll be a bit sketchy in some places, but I'll try my best, and if I accidentally leave anything out, I'll post it laters when I remember! :)
I woke at 5.15am to get ready... mind you, I kept waking up every hour before that! lol
Got ready, ladidadaaaa... left house at 6.15am... whole kefafal with bf 'where is the melways? i marked the route to the hotel the other night, cant find the melways!' found it eventually, in my car, lol, under an art folio... lol how embarrassing... anyway! continued on my journey... nervous, hungry, no amount of hot air from the vents in my car could calm me down... tried singing along to music... didn't help... felt like crying... didn't know why...
lol eventually snapped out of it as I had to concentrate on the road so I wouldn't smash into one of those parked cars in the city... lol im such a blonde sometimes...
got there, was 7am, far out... too early i am! thats alright, went for maccas breakfast, bought a parking ticket opposite the hotel, cost me an arm and leg, $8 for only 2hrs *&^%$#!!! anywya paid it and thought 'ah well, might not take that long, and what are the chances of me getting a ticket in the city?' lol #1 mistake for the day :)
got into hotel at 7.35am... basically everyone was there, except for about 5 ppl! lol registered (as in, showed all certificates and got them ticked off, or else you can't participate unless they're all there and valid, or at least receipts showing you're booked in for refresher courses etc). Saw on the list that 31ppl were meant to come, but only 28 showed up. There were only 3 guys, the rest were GIRLS!! Aghhh, competition full on! Everyone looked the part, gorgeous skirts and jackets... some ppl were loud and annoying, others were so quiet, that that became annoying! lol tried to engage in conversation with them, general questions 'did you drive or catch the train, what do you do for a living, how old are you' etc but gave up on them.
after registration, there was the 5min spot interviews. was pretty good, i got a lady named Heidi (I think Sylphie had her too!) she was lovely, so enthusiastic, it was hard not to rub off onto me too! Was not nervous one but :)
Afterwards we all entered the room, sat at tables and did an 'icebreaker' activity, then a quick 'comprehension' worksheet (so darn easy, i think it must have been for those who read or write very poorly...) and then we did two more activities, one on our own and one with the entire group. On our own we had to choose four pets from a pet store and explain why, i chose cat- coz its cute and cuddly, great companion and dog- coz they're awesome for excercise, goldfish- great decoration in the house and guinea pigs because they are cute, cuddly and harmless for my neices and nephews when they come over :) The other activity was to invent a pet store that was innovative, on a budget etc we chose 'Pet Salvation' as or name, and even made animal noises as we got up to present out 'business' to the rest of the VBRD candidates :)
After this we had a 45min break for lunch, and then were given letters as to whether or not we progressed to the next stage....
AND I DID :)
Wow... was I meant to be happy, scream, cry? LOL I'm probably overreacting, and naturally, I WAS happy :) Then I had my major interview all the way at 6pm, so I drove home, waiting about an hour, then drove back to the city for my interview.
The interview was great, I had the guy Tom who was running the whole VBRD basically. It was good, he was very encouraging and understanding that I have my VCE and just 13wks to go, we had a good laugh about a few things during the interview, it was all so laid back! I offered to put myself in the 'pool' or on file IF I were successful, and he pretty much hmm'd about it... dunno, good or bad? lol BUT he did however insist on knowing a date when I complete my VCE... so now i HMmmm... LOL
After that, I did a little scenario act about customer service, I had to 'calm down' a customer boardig a cruise and tell her no pets allowed... lol funny lady the actress was, previous CC too.
Overall, a fantastic day! I'm so happy with myself, because I was really kicking myself in the b*tt about my age, height and not having finished VCE yet... but it seemed they treated me indifferently so thats great!
Now I have to wait about 2 weeks for a reply via email or phonecall... in this time, they may/may not call my referees... hoepfully I get sent to a medical... I'm so glad I got this far, but at the same time, I wouldn't want it to end here!! ahhh....
Well peeps, I hope this was usefyl info! If anyone wants to know anything else, just PM me, or post on this thread so that others can gain from the Q&A too :)
xoxoxoxoxoxox hava good night!!! :cool:

Iulia
15th Jun 2006, 11:31
What I found really interesting was that there was a guy there that worked for Emirates and is based in Dubai, but wanted a local airline so he could move back to Melb, an a girl who already worked for Ozjet, and another girl who was Ground Crew for Qantas and another who was some kind of contracted Ground Crew for Virgin. OH and another girl that was actually working as Ground Crew for Virgin Melb :)

Iulia
15th Jun 2006, 11:36
...Today at my VBRD I heard a rumour that Virgin Blue is so desperate to recruit for CC Melb coz in the last 2mnths about 97 CC Melb have resigned... is this true? Because apparently there are VBRD happening today, Friday, Monday and Tuesday... if there are about 30ppl attend all four days (as there was about today) then thats a total of 120ppl in the four days, and there'd be somewhere near 97 positions to fill... could this be possible? Only about half of the 28ppl got through today though!! Dunno... rumours are rumours... but can anyone clarify this pls? thanks!

Sylphie
15th Jun 2006, 12:21
Haha I told you! The whole Virgin Blue experience is really helpful for future interviews I have heard also.

I hope you get further than I did. After a few days and none of my references had been contacted I assumed the news wasn't good and I got that silly e-mail about 5 days after the VRD :sad:

How funny we got the same two interviewers in the same order!

Anyway, just chill out now, I was all tense and sore-tummy til I heard something and it did nothing for me. The rest is up to them, you've done all you could do. Congrats on getting to the end of the day!

Oh and I'll be so depressed if the rumour is true re: the need for so many MEL based CC. Aaargh! :oh:

RaverFlaver
15th Jun 2006, 12:39
Hi Iulia,

I heard from 2 MEL based DJ crew that they have lost around 80 crew to the recent EK recruitment drives in MEL.

Best of luck to you,

RaverFlaver :)

Ozzy747
15th Jun 2006, 13:37
wooohoooooo! fantastic!
you go girl. excellent! gud on ya for getting this far man!
thats fab!
i love the positive feedback everyone is also giving you, THANKS EVERYONE... LOL
i should really sleep now, have to do a AKL/MEL in 3 hours! aaaahhhhhh! is there even a point in sleeping anymore..lol my eyes are hanging out of my head.
its 1:40am in KL right now.

cheers,lol

take care

Iulia
15th Jun 2006, 23:37
Hehe Sylphie and I got the same interviewers in the same order... lol what a coincidence!
Well fingers crossed until I hear from VB... and yes they ARE really quick in replying!
Definately a company I wanna work for...
Fingers crossed!

fly_away
15th Jun 2006, 23:59
...Today at my VBRD I heard a rumour that Virgin Blue is so desperate to recruit for CC Melb coz in the last 2mnths about 97 CC Melb have resigned... is this true? Because apparently there are VBRD happening today, Friday, Monday and Tuesday... if there are about 30ppl attend all four days (as there was about today) then thats a total of 120ppl in the four days, and there'd be somewhere near 97 positions to fill... could this be possible? Only about half of the 28ppl got through today though!! Dunno... rumours are rumours... but can anyone clarify this pls? thanks!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I have heard the same but it is all rumour. i heard that 83 cc quit in March this year and many of them are going over to virgin atlantic and emarites.
I was just at the emarites interview day back in may along with 3other cc for virgin of whcih i didnt know they were going to be there and i am now in the process of getting confirmation about employment with them. i am due to travel on the 6 july to move over there. so yeah, i think virgin is a great steping stone for people who what to do international, and also great for people who are sick of doing that and want to be at home in melbourne. put it this way i dont believe i would have made it this far without everything i have learnt throughout my employment wiht virgin.
Remember most virgin cabin crew are in there peak of getting married, pregnant etc, so people are going to leave on a higher rate.

Iulia
16th Jun 2006, 00:44
Hmm... I guess its a good thing to hear that CC @ Virgin are leaving, as this means more opportunity for us hopefuls! :)
I'm thinking... my interviewer Tom was really interested in knowing when I finish VCE (10th Oct) I told him, and offered to be put in the 'pool' or 'waiting list' as he called it... so fingers crossed he was asking the questions because I genuinely have a chance... my referees will let me know whether they get called up or not within the next two weeks... I really wanna do the medical, as much as I'd hate to be probed and examined... ! :)
Thanks for everyone's support... once again, its the waiting process thats killing me slowly... lol!

Iulia
16th Jun 2006, 00:46
Good onya for trying as you have to get even further as a F/A, so good to see people trying. The job as a F/A doesn't just land on anyone's lap for being good-looking (presentable) or tall, as I noticed yesterday. There were many girls there who had the most gorgeous faces, like a model for a magazine would, and then there were others who just tried too hard... I didn't hang around to see exactly who was who that remained... damn, wish I had now... :confused:

fly_away
16th Jun 2006, 08:05
Good onya for trying as you have to get even further as a F/A, so good to see people trying. The job as a F/A doesn't just land on anyone's lap for being good-looking (presentable) or tall, as I noticed yesterday. There were many girls there who had the most gorgeous faces, like a model for a magazine would, and then there were others who just tried too hard... I didn't hang around to see exactly who was who that remained... damn, wish I had now... :confused:

Thanks miss!
Well your right on the ball aboout being good looking coz being pretty aint going to help you in an emergency situation!
I believe virgin really goes on presonality, yeah looks are important but really everyone has the potential to be pretty they jsut have to find what works for them!
Well i'd like to officially welcome you to "the waiting game" :ugh:

HOW FRUSTRATING!!!!! hang tight these things are jsut out of your hands now.

I remember when i got my phone call from virgin, i was so nervous i said to the lady who rang me " are you serious???? is this one of my friends playing a trick on me?" coz i seriouslly thought it was !!! how funny!!
but it was the best feeling!!:p :eek: :)

oh and when and if you get to the medical stage, dont stress coz thats out of your hands too.

hey i jsut thought about htis then, have you thought about applying for jetstar,qantas ( but i knwo thats hard to get) virgin atlantic are recruiting people for SYD-HKG-SYD based in sydney???? that would be pretty exciting.
Dont jsut put all eggs in one basket, keep you options open too.

Iulia
16th Jun 2006, 12:00
hey i jsut thought about htis then, have you thought about applying for jetstar,qantas ( but i knwo thats hard to get) virgin atlantic are recruiting people for SYD-HKG-SYD based in sydney???? that would be pretty exciting.
Dont jsut put all eggs in one basket, keep you options open too.

Interesting... BUT I am only 156cm and Virgin Blue seemed to be the only airline that didn't mind... so dunno about applying to the others... Jetstar is a branch of Qantas so they're just as fussy about height... who else was it, Virgin Atlantic? Bugger, don't wanna relocate to Sydney... there aren't many other options are here, are there? Anyone got any suggestions? And what about Ground Crew at Virgin... worth a try? Is it alright pay? I'd love to work for Virgin...!
Hate, hate, HATE waiting... its all we did yesterday at the VBRD!! So pretty much when it a 'yes' to go further to the medical stage, they like to call yeh? Is it a private number, or a number that comes up on the screen? Just wanna know, for if/when it were to happen... and I gather if you're rejected, its an email? Blahhh! Hate, hate, HATE waiting!!:uhoh:

seektofly
16th Jun 2006, 14:49
Hi Everyone,

I am new at this, but today was my VRD - and I made it right through to the end... in other words I also had my role play and my interview. My final interview went for 1 hour and 10 minutes! I hope that isn't a bad sign. I felt ok - and I did my best. I thought thought that everyone who made it through was great - looks and personality.

I hope everyone that made it through gets a call soon.

S.T.F

Iulia
16th Jun 2006, 22:21
Seems like you and I went through the same thing :) Can you please tell me about how many people were there, and about how many people got through to the second round (major interview and role play)? Just curious, because at my VBRD there were about 28peeps :)

adam_ant
17th Jun 2006, 01:00
MY FIRST POST!

I've been with VB 4 years. It took me 2 tries to get in. Melbourne has always had high turnover - I think its all the day trips??? Up here in Brisneyland they don't seem to leave as quickly. There have ALWAYS been rumours of high numbers leaving, but I don't think it is above average. MEL is a few years behind BNE and still sorting out who is committed to flying and who is just trying it on for size.

Good luck to all you newbies - things keep changing so rapidly - our service keeps getting more and more mature, and the crew meals seem to have improved lol.

Iulia
17th Jun 2006, 08:18
Well, if I fail this time round for CC with VB, I'll have to wait another 12mnths til I can reapply! Bugger... did it always used to be this way, the 12mnth period?
.. Good to see that the crew meals have improved 'adam_ant' coz I'm a big fan of food... lol :)

seektofly
17th Jun 2006, 08:44
This will be my 3rd airline. I am committed to flying! I love it - and I am sure that if I get into V.B, I will not be a statistic of their high turnover. Yesterday there were about 30 of us at the VRD - and about 15 people were left for the interviews in the afternoon. The crew were really nice, and made everyone feel relaxed and, I felt that the interviews weren't really that formal, so I was pretty relaxed and felt it was more like an informal chat than anything else. My role play was really easy and the passenger with the doggy wasn't too difficult when I told her that she couldn't bring the doggy on board. It almost seemed too easy... maybe they thought that I was not going to make it through anyway, so they just did it as a matter of course - because they had to.. not because they needed to... who knows?? :suspect:

I just hope that I make it through to the medicals.. it would be fantastic.
By the way, there are crew meals??? We don't have to purchase food on board as well? And, while we are on the subject, do you guys get a commission or incentive for selling stuff on board ? :rolleyes:

Iulia
17th Jun 2006, 09:48
yeh... life as a flight attendant for VB sounds great, don't it STF? lol fingers crossed... for the both of us now! My theory is that we'll probably receive a response sometime after Tuesday as there are VBRD running until this Tuesday in Melb... I'd imagine they'd look at everyone that went through the whole day, and then start doing reference checks for those who seem alright, then if all goes well with the reference checks they'd call the peep and ask them to do the medical... (eg... US???? lol)
Would be so much fun training! Weeee! Down the inflatable slide... SPLASH! into the water with life vests... :D hehehe

adam_ant
18th Jun 2006, 00:48
Good to see you guys are so positive!

I think its always been 12 months between interviews. Much could happen at VB in the next 12 months so that could always change.

Yes we get crew food. In the past its been pretty average, but the company now has a group of CC who select the meals to ensure they are nutrious so they seem to be getting better (at one stage they tried to serve us kangaroo!). Some crew hate them, but for the most part there is something in there everyone will eat (like the chocolates!). The onboard food you can buy, but after you've eaten it a few times it gets a bit boring.

And yes we get commission on our onboard sales. Its not heaps (we lose commission when crew don't mark off stock sold properly) but its enough for a movie and dinner out once a month!

I hope you guys get good news soon - you'll have a blast online.

FA101
18th Jun 2006, 01:41
Hey guys,
I feel so much better after finding this forum and reading your thread...Iulia your first post sounds exactly like how I am feeling...You guessed it...I'm attending a recruitment day on Tuesday the 20th and like you Iulia I am so nervous (+excited)...I can't sleep as it this is my ultimate dream. I know I'd be perfect for the job but as I'm not as loud as the "loud girls" or in your face I don't know if the interview will really get to know me. Especially if I am as nervous as I am right now...because thats when I don't use perfect vocab and don't sound as confident as I am from day to day...I suppose if I just show them how passionate I am about the position and demonstrate I have the customer service skills, personality and looks for the job I'll be fine..

What can I do? I have no idea what to expect - Obviously I've read over this post thoroughly but I still don't understand the entire process. So first comes registration...Followed by a 5 minute 1 on one interview? When do you hand over your resumes? What kind of questions do you get on the comprehension worksheet? I'm very confident with group interviews and highly sociable however on 1 on 1 interviews I sometimes get lost for words...Were there any questions you couldn't answer? etc etc...I guess like you said if it's meant to be it's meant to be. Things happen for a reason right...

Hey btw good luck to you both sounds like you've done amazingly!!!!!! After reading through what you've dealt with at home and at your age I think you definitely deserve it girl...It sounds so similar to what I've been through with my parents...

Sorry my thoughts are very muddled as I'm in a huge hurry to go to work and I am freaking out wholeheartedly about a couple of days time...

Thanks!!!!

FA101

australian boy
18th Jun 2006, 04:46
:) Good luck to to every one who has a vrd. I have been a Mel based DJ FA for two years and still enjoy it, it is what u make of it. I left Australian Airlines (ao) cns to join Virgin and dont really regret it. I have just put in to go to Virgin Atlantic SYD base which is only open to dj Cabin Crew. U can also go on exchange to London if If u want so theres a lot of room to move if u get in. The loss of crew recently was from the emirates recruitment in Melb.

Australian boy:)

Iulia
18th Jun 2006, 08:52
Hehehe! You're probably feeling exactly how I felt for my VBRD! Well its okai... I'll mother you until then ;) Definately keep an eye on this thread as its jam-packed with info from other generous VB CC and peeps who also have experience in the FA industry... it really helped me out at my VBRD! However... I never let on to anyone there at the day that I was on PPRUNE as I didn't want to rub into people's faces the knowledge I had... on the other hand, some people who were there and previously FA for other companies seemed to continuouly rub THAT in! lol anyway... on the day, definately be on your best behaviour! Be cheerful, smile lots, and giggle and ask questions of other people. DO NOT be quite or go off into your own little world! Interact with others, don't sit quietly studying others... I mean, study others, but don't make it obvious! As I looked around the room throughout the day, I could see a few of the other girls in their own little world's with blank and worried expressions... these are the girls that didn't make it through to the second half of the day. Pretend as if someone's watching you the entire time, and DO NOT bitch about anyone there! IF someone says something to you eg 'ewww whats she wearing?' just hmmmm.... and leave it at that! As much as I'd have liked to comment on a few strange girls there, I saved it for when I got home to my bf and told him the story of my day :)
Well, you should have, or will be recieving an email with a run down of the day. I'd advise you be there at exactly 7.30am, coz everyone else is! I wrote on this thread that it was like 7.35am and practically everyone was already there! The room is overpowering with perfume and girl's giggles...
When you get there, you'll stand around while people 'register' eg show their documents/certificates to the two peeps that are basically in charge of the day... Leisha and Tom (most probably). Then you wait around some more till all the other recruiters (ladies from Brisbane and Melbourne VB base) come in and call anyone whose already registered to go through for the 5min interview. This is where you're asked for your resume, and basically this 5min interview is like you declaring yes to being flexible, working weekends/public holidays, that you're over 18yrs, why you want this position. I found that the 5min interview was basically a declaration that you understand the duties of a FA, nothing hard really. The person does the questioning, you do the answering, its brief, its 5mins! :) No need to worry, when I stood up to get out, I was kinda buggered it didn't last longer... lol and also, its in a room with round tables, and at each table the same process is happening with some other FA hopeful... it actually sounds a lot like the chatter in a market when you enter the interviewing room!
After that everyone is asked back into that room with the round tables, and you are to sit at a table where you don't know anyone (which was hard for me, as I'd spoken to almost everyone there!) and then you had that comprehension sheet which was easy... basically was several paragraphs about Virgin Blue, how its name was announced on the radio (I think Triple J) and then the second paper was asking 'on what radio was the name of Virgin Blue announced?' and there are four options, say 1-101.9 FOX or 2- NOVA or 3- Triple J or 4- MIX 101.1 and obviously you gotta circle the correct one. This is called comprehension, where you're given information (on paper) you read it, then respond to the questions on the next page. Best of al, you can keep referring to the info sheet! Its not taken away from you so its not like you have to remember it! Only thing is that you have like 5mins (I think it was that much) to read it and write.
Then there's group activities which are easy, you have to create a pet store blah blah blah what are its features? products? etc just brain storming ideas etc.
Seriously, after my VBRD I wanted to kick myself up the behind for being soooo worried all this time! But I guess thats how it is in life, when you enter 'the unknown....' lol
I really enjoyed my day.... you'll find that the recruiters are sooo nice! They seem genuinely interested in what you have to say.
After the group activity, we had a 45min break as they decided who went to the next round. After this we all came back from lunch (its was 1.15pm) and we were handed letters that said whether we progressed to the next stage, or not. The next stage consists of an interview that goes for about an hour with just the one recruiter, and then a 2min roleplay where you're meant to demonstrate your 'customer service' skills as you 'calm down' and angry passenger on board a cruise. Really simple, you just have to keep referring to 'our policy' and remain calm yourself and smile, preferably not slouching, stand up straight so that your posture shows you're in control.
Whenever I get an angry customer, I let them vent it all out on me, and then I gently lay out the options for them to fix the problem, and thats what I did in the roleplay too.
...Just reading over your last post FA101... I didn't actually have any problems with any of the questions, and they actually advise you to take your time in answering them (in the interviews). For example, they ask you to retell a time when you had an angry customer, and how did you resolve the issue. And you just gotta think from past experience in Customer Service of a time when you had an angry customer in your face... shouldn't be too hard, as I personally often come across loud and angry customers, even at the library! lol
Heyyyy... don't worry about the VBRD anymore! I mean, lay out your clothes from the night before, eat well before you go (I didn't, and an empty stomach contributes to nervousness!) be happy on the day, smile as if someone's watching you the whole day. Don't drift into your own little thoughts, go to the toilets if you have to, but don't make it obvious that you're thinking... participate in the group activity, LAUGH and ask questions of the others, even if you couldn't care less about their hobby (I know, it sounds mean...) act to everyone as if they're a customer :)
You'll have a GREAT time, guaranteed ;) keep us posted about your experience because I have a feeling that this thread will be very helpful for many other people who plan to apply for VB CC in the future too :) I'm so glad I did my research beforehand... good luck for Tuesday FA101!!

seektofly
18th Jun 2006, 11:47
Hi everyone ;)

I just wanted to comment on Iulia's last post - I thought it was great - very very insightful and very accurate. :D It was exactly how my VBRD went and I am sure that each VBRD will be the same. Having been to many many many of these interviews before (for other airlines), I would also like to add the following comments:

* When you are at the group interview (ie making up the pet store etc..) include everyone in the conversation - and if someone has an idea and says it then say "oh yeah, thats a really good idea" - and when you have an idea, tell everyone your idea, and then say "what do you guys think?" and if there is someone in the group that is not talking much, address them by name and ask them what they think - or ask them if they have a pet etc... In other words, show that you are aware of the people around you and most importantly show that you are interested in them

I particularly liked Iulia's comment about smiling :) It is important, and it (believe it or not) will make you feel less nervous. So when you can smile, smile, and smile some more.

* Try to get around to saying hi to everyone at the VRD (even the ones who don't appear to have put much thought into what they are wearing etc..) - There was a lady at our VBRD who must have been at least 60 - no joke. :uhoh: Her suit was like 2 sizes too small and her hair was like nothing I had ever seen before..:eek: it looked like a birds nest/bee hive. To make things worse, she was wearing a jacket with this ridiculous emu feathers collar and her eye make up looked like she had smeared it on with her fingers in the car on the way to the interview! I am not joking. :=

I sound mean and horrible, but I was being kind in the way I have just described her. Some of us (some other girls at the interview) made time to chat to her, because I am sure she would have arrived, seen the way everyone else looked and felt a bit out of place - and probably not feeling great :( - so we told her to sit down with us and have a chat while we were waiting during the 45 minute break before we got our envelopes. She was softly spoken - but unfortunately she didn't get through the rest of the day. I noticed the people that did make time to talk with her did get through. I don't know if that is saying something, but just remember to be kind to everyone regardless of what they are wearing and how they look or sound, or their age. Everyone is in the same boat! :bored:

* When you have your spot interviews (the 5 minute 1 on 1) and then the hour long interview (if you get through to the rest of the day), treat the interviewer like a good friend or colleague that you are discussing situations at work - try to have some examples of angry customers and how you handled them, maybe think of examples of the most stressful day you have had at work and how you managed it, and maybe even think of a time where a work colleague has been down in the dumps or in a mood, and how you coped with it... If you have some idea of what to say in the interview, then thats 80% of the battle already won. At least you won't be looking into space trying to think of something to say. If you just speak naturally - your personality will shine right through. It will make you feel comfortable and at ease when you chat with the interviewer. ;)

I hope I haven't gone on too long. I wish you all the best of luck with your VBRD on Tuesday. I am sure you will knock their socks off!

Let us know how you think you went.:ok:

Seektofly.
:p

Iulia
18th Jun 2006, 12:20
You definately summed up some really good points there, and I especially liked the part where you said "treat the interviewer like a good friend or colleague that you are discussing situations at work" <- that was my thought exactly during the hour-long interview, and that mentality helped me remain calm and to deliver my examples with ease :) Had a few good laughs with Tom... he asked me what one thing I dislike about my current job (at the library), and immediately what popped into mind was how sometimes when I scane books in (after someone has dropped them off from their house) they're really ewwww and sticky... and to this I added "We ladies at the library like to think its coffee or tea..." and we both laughed a lot... LOL

Hostee
18th Jun 2006, 16:31
I applied to DJ on 9 June, applications closed 11th for MEL based CC.
I went away for the long weekend... get back Monday night to an email from DJ saying "howz about you drop in to a Virgin Recruitment Day on the 20th?"
I replied saying yes.... then ran around buying new suit, getting nails done, organising time off work, sorting flights to MEL.... then get an email back saying "sorry... the VRD is now full, but you are a priority for our next round of recruitment" :{
DARN IT!!! DJ had emailed me the invite on the Saturday..... but i didn't get the email til Monday....
Good luck to all those attending a VRD on the 20th or any other day.. wish i was there with you!
Fingers crossed i get an invite again soon!!!!!
And at least now i've got pretty nails and fab new suit! I have to look at the bright side here! :)

Iulia
18th Jun 2006, 22:42
Cheer up! You know what, seems to me like they're doing a whole bunch of recruiting til they're satisfied with numbers... they did some recruitment days just over two weeks ago for Melb too! So who knows, maybe in two weeks time (after they're meant to have gotten back to us who have gone through the VBRD) they'll start another round of recruitment for Melb! They're very unpredictable these VB peeps.... but think about is, us that have been interviewed in this round will need a response within the next two weeks whether we go for a medical or not, and then those who go for a medical still ahve a chance of not making it... so in each stage people are being dropped, thus allowing for more recruitment days!!! :)
It is a bummer... but cheer up! Wear that suit! Flash your nails! lol:p I'm sure you'll get another invite to a VBRD soon!!!

milbud
19th Jun 2006, 13:42
A big hearty Well Done to you Iulia. I know you are thinking "but I've not made it through yet!" But just think, you are where so many thousands have applied time and again to get to. There'll only be a handfull of you in contention now...It's great to see that you taken on so much of what was put forward to you on this thread. Both by current DJ FA's and FA's from other airlines. And believe me Iulia, those sticky stains you got on the library books are nothing compared with the unknowns of aircraft toilets!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: Coffee? I think not.:hmm:
Just be upbeat when they phone you, even if it is a less than wanted response, and i'm confident it wont be, then your reaction is important. Remember Self Control is important, very very important. And your reaction will go well to support future applications if needed.
Again big pats on the back! I have a feeling I'll be meeting you in the back galley soon enough.

Cheers.
Milbud.:ok: :D

Iulia
20th Jun 2006, 01:21
Awww thanks milbud.... are you a part of the recruitment team and dropping me hints or something? hehe jks
LOL yeh I can only imagine what it'd be like cleaning the airplane toilets... ewww oh well! I've been cleaning the toilet in my house all this time... but I'm guessing it'd be much worse...:confused:

Wow milbud... you're such a positive person! ;) I do hope the phone call is just as positive an answer...

toodles! and fingers crossed still!!!!!:ok:

Ozzy747
20th Jun 2006, 09:18
Iulia-

cleaning toilets??? had a flight from Los angeles the other day-we had a bunch of 100 18year old kids from arizona coming to NZ and aussie for a tour.

i cleaned vomit 3 times on the 11.5 hour flight.

vomit 1- all over the toilet door and the floor

vomit 2- the girl came into da galley while i was reading a mag with vomit dripping from her mouth oll over next to my crew members jumpseat.

vomit 3- one of the kids spewed up on the seats that he was sitting on.

i dnt really have a prob with pax dat feel sick- were all human- but 3 in one flight dats abit tooo much. ive had feral toilets as well. but this flight really topped it off.

Iulia
20th Jun 2006, 09:46
Awww... Ozzie 747 I feel for you, really I do :) I've had peeps over at my place and had to clean up after them the next day... nothing that grotty, just shoe stains on the carpet and spilt drinks etc (I don't wear shoes in the house... hate, hate, hate it!) :)

Iulia
20th Jun 2006, 09:48
Oh yeh, and this other time I had a gf over and just had to babysit my bro's 8mnth-old kid, and every couple of crawls it would dribble little bits of vomit on my cream carpet. Ended up keeping a bucket of warm water on standby the whole time :)

seektofly
20th Jun 2006, 13:54
Hey guys,

I just heard on the "grapevine" that Virgin have already started calling people up to go to their medicals. I know one person who went for the VBRD on June 15, and has already been called up and sent an email about where to go for the medical ALREADY:eek: !!! I know that would be a great sign ... is there anyone else out there who has been already called up by Virgin to go for the Medical? :confused:

I went for my VBRD on Friday 16th June... I wonder how long my rejection email is going to take!:ugh:

Seek to fly:suspect:

cocomc
20th Jun 2006, 23:33
HI there this is my first post in this forum so i hope i have done it right... I was just wondering if someone might be able to help me. I applied for virgin blue ages ago and i have reapplieda few times including last week when they were accepting for melbourne based cabin crew. I have jnot heard anything regarding interviews etc... I was just wondering how long it usually takes before you get called for an interview, as i applied before the aplications closed on the 11/6?? Hope someone can help me..
thanks heaps

Sylphie
21st Jun 2006, 02:49
Hi!

I was invited to a VRD approx 3.5 weeks after I applied. I also applied when they were just taking interest for the role, not when they had a set deadline.

A lot of the time it depends on when they are recruiting, but in your case, it may be down to selection. Keep refreshing your application and ensure that you have all the details and prerequisites. Nobody here can really tell you how they select for these recruitment days, It's unknown.. though the recruitment team do tell us that thousands apply and only a few hundred are usually invited. :sad:

Don't give up. I am sure they are going to recruit a few more times this year! Good Luck! ;)

Sylphie
21st Jun 2006, 02:58
STF, with my experience, I got the rejection e-mail on the 5th day of the two week waiting period. At least they get back quickly enough for you to explore other options - Imagine waiting 13 days, that would be a huge let down!

The fact that they have already started contacting people to complete medicals so soon after the last interview doesn't surprise me. I think this because if they have done the reference check so soon for those they considered successful, like in my case getting the answer after 5 days including a weekend!, they would contact those they want to do the medical the same day I'd assume, or some time close to that. They are a pretty efficient team.

Good Luck!

And PS.. Iulia, have you heard anything yet!? :eek:

Iulia
21st Jun 2006, 03:46
No peeps... haven't heard a single thing...! My manager at work is sick (she's pregnant) morning sickness and taking days off work, and I only put the work # on my resume, as I didn't have her house or mob... and my other girlfriend who used to manage over me at a shoe store promised she'd txt me as soon as she got a call from Virgin (she's my second referee) far out... I went on the Thursday 15th June to my VBRD also, and haven't heard nuffin! No email, no calls to my referees... I'm goners... I feel like crying, I think I will go huddle in the shower all alone and cry... so upset... I wished they'd send the rejection emails sooner, tomorrow will be one week since my VBRD! You'd think they'd reply sooner to those they're wanting to reject... oh bummer... so upsetting, knowing that those successful are already recieving results... :{

Iulia
21st Jun 2006, 03:50
How LONG will our rejection emails take... hmmm... with Sylphie it ws 5 days (including weekend) well... tomorrow is my 7th day waiting... wahhhh!!!:ugh:

Iulia
21st Jun 2006, 03:54
Well... I did a booboo mistake when I applied first with Virgin (before the close date of 11/6)... I accidentally but my yahoo id with my hotmail address... as in, my yahoo id.hotmail.com i confused the two around! And then I went back into my account with virgin and changed the email address to the proper yahoo.com..... hope it all makes sense! Anyway perhaps you should double check that your contact details are exact :)

cocomc
21st Jun 2006, 04:50
yeah that makes sense thanks for your reply. I did check all my details and they are all correct. I applied last november abd have not heard a thing, im begining to feel that its not gonna happen... Its weird

Sylphie
21st Jun 2006, 05:54
How available did you make yourself when you applied?

In saying that, what I mean is did you say you were willing to re-locate if your chosen base was unavailable? And did you choose more than one base to work from? This may also be what they take into account when they send out invites.

Sylphie
21st Jun 2006, 07:21
Iulia, you may get an e-mail in another weeks time and the news might be pleasant. With my e-mail it may have just been a case of having a date set for a ground school so they got the e-mails out for medicals faster?

seektofly
21st Jun 2006, 07:21
:uhoh: I know how everyone is feeling because I am feeling the same way. Although, from past groups, I heard that the NO emails get sent out pretty much straight away, and the phone calls take a while longer... so if that is anything to go on... then no news is good news. HOWEVER, if they have begun calling referees and asking people to go to the medical ALREADY... then the next couple of days could be the decider. Either way, it was great to have come this far, but wouldn't mind progressing a bit further! :hmm: All the best to everyone who is waiting. Its the waiting bit that is the worst :yuk:

STF

seektofly
21st Jun 2006, 07:26
I just forgot to add, Iulia you need to be more positive GIRL! :}

Don't be negative just yet. Just wait until you have an answer one way or the other, and then you can decide what you are going to do.

I might just see you in ground school yet :p

STF - again.

Iulia
21st Jun 2006, 09:05
Interesting... it would seem much more plausible that they'd send out the NO emails (as STF nicely put it) sooner then they'd start doing the reference checks... its just fistrating because tomorrow will be one week since my VBRD and if I'm gonna gt a NO email, I'd rather have gotten it sooner... its like, if you're gonna kill me, do it quicker rather then slower.
Okai maybe I'm being a bit over dramatic here... but you all gt my drift :suspect:
Anyhow... a thing I'll really be devastated about if I get the NO answer is that I'll no longer have anything to contribute to my new lovely thread where I've met all you lovely helpful peeps! I'll really miss that... my bf is a comp geek, I literally have to peel him away from his LCD screen and the study room (its like his lair) and these past two weeks, I've been huddled on the couch with the laptop glued to my lap and constantly checking PPRuNE (you may have noticed, I'm often online).... so sad to have to part y'all for lack of having anything else to contribute...
Hoepfully I'm wrong and in a weeks time I can whack myself over the head for being such a grumpy... fingers crossed!!!:sad:

Sylphie
21st Jun 2006, 09:55
... a thing I'll really be devastated about if I get the NO answer is that I'll no longer have anything to contribute to my new lovely thread where I've met all you lovely helpful peeps! I'll really miss that...

But as you go you meet more helpful people out there that come out of the woodwork, past applicants and current employees, that can help you, not just for DJ but for JQ or QF or whatever you set your sights on next if unsuccessful. It's all just one 'new thread' away.

Plus, you will always be able to help others on this thread if they happen to be lucky enough to get an invitation. Any help is good help as I discovered when I got here.

Iulia
21st Jun 2006, 10:00
Sure, I'll continue helping out others... it'll just be sad no longer having the feeling of anticipation for myself, thats all :)

Sylphie
21st Jun 2006, 10:04
Yeah I kow how you feel. Though the day I got the e-mail I thought I'd be a LOT sadder than I was. I was probably a little shocked. I immediately sent off my application to JQ and did one for Guest Services for DJ. The next few days I fet a bit down because I felt I was back to square one, but then I realised I was probably better off than some of my competition at my next interview so I'm just excited to get an invite again sometime soon.

Ultimately I want to work for Virgin, I have to get there somehow. :O

Iulia
21st Jun 2006, 10:23
True... well I have already applied for Qantas now and Jetstar, but both will reject me because of my height, of this I am certain. I'm only 158cm... you're probably way taller Sylphie (I think we may have discussed your height before... hmmm) so yeh... I'll probably never even get an invite because of my height. Too bad... but Virgin's the best, I feel they don't really mind height :) unless of course... you're really unusually short... I guess height cannot be labelled as discriminatory, since really it is necessary in the job of a F/A.
:8

Iulia
22nd Jun 2006, 01:46
Hey guys, I just got the email of rejection. Supposedly they were delighted in having met me, but unfortunately I cannot progress to the next stage... whatever... and another bummer is that I'll never know where I went wrong as they cannot provide feedback.
Shame... no other airline will want me, I'm under the height requirment!:{

SkySista
22nd Jun 2006, 02:05
Iulia, I'm sorry you got the email... but... chin up, and chalk it up to experience. There are MANY of us here who applied time and time again (some of us up to 8 or 9 for the one airline!) before getting a job as CC...!!! As Sylphie says, you will also have an edge over the competetion next time (and there WILL be a next time - you know you have what it takes to get past 1st round) you are invitied...

As for your height, while you are waiting your time to elapse before you may apply again... have you considered some of the smaller/regional airlines?? Many of them have a smaller height requirement due to the a/c types they operate.... it may not be Virgin Blue but the experience sure would help!!!

I'm not sure where in Aus you said you're from (sorry just got up after a late night lol) but there are plenty of regionals around Aus, and lots of them are recruiting at the moment (e.g. Rex, Sunstate, QF Link) give them a ago and see what happens. Also, it seems some airlines are changing their ways and going by reach height rather than your actual height... so don't give up!! You did great to get this far out of the THOUSANDS who applied just to be in the first stage...! :ok:

Good luck and use this to your advantage, you WILL be there one day!!!

Sky

seektofly
22nd Jun 2006, 02:12
Iulia,

Im sorry to hear that you got the "awful" email.:{
I am currently at work (where we can't access our email) - but I think I will be getting the same email as you since I haven't heard anything from Virgin yet. :confused:

I will let you know at the end of the day.

Chin up girl. I know how difficult it is. I myself have been rejected a few times from the airlines - Qantas is great at rejecting people after the medical (after you pay all that money to go to the medical, they send you one of those awful emails to say thanks but no thanks.) I myself have been rejected a few times after attending the medicals a few times over!! Not once or twice but 4 times actually.. so I know how you feel. As far as height goes, if you really want to fly, apply to the regional airlines. I think you would be fantastic.

Will let you know as soon as I get my awful letter.

STF.

Iulia
22nd Jun 2006, 04:50
Awww okai, I do really want top be flying, problem is, I'm from Melb and don't really want to relocate (apparently its the best city in Aus..!) lol I really like Melb...
What smaller airlines would you guys recommend? There aren't any based in Melb, are there? Any ideas would be great! And yes, I do plan to reapply... though I'll have to renew my CPR damnit... :(
Oh well, yes, chin up... I still have my bf, my car, my current job, and 13weeks of education to complete :)
I've baked two huge chocolate mudcakes, took an 1hr and 30mins in the oven, and now I plan to eat them all on my own, warm as they are, I'll probably throw up from the amount of chocolate I put into them... lol
thanks peeps!:sad: me going to pig out now...

SkySista
22nd Jun 2006, 06:03
Iulia, glad to see you looking on the 'bright side'... yes you do still have al lthese things and you are still the same person you were before - this has not changed who you are no matter how sad it may make you feel!!!

I look at it this way. Now you know you have what it takes to gt to the assessment days and interviews, use this time to your advantage. Focus on your studies, renew anything that needs renewing, learn a language, whatever. Research the airlines you might also want to apply for and go through all the questions you were asked and think if there was anything you might like to do better in next time or answer differently. You'll be stronger for the rejection and applying again and again shows persistence and that you do what you have to do to get what you want. I know one day you'll be there, whether it's next month or next year.

Speaking from my own experience, opportunity really does knock when you least expect it... so I am sure like many of us you will be taken by surprise with a job offer one day soon.

Don't eat too much cake dear, you still want to fit in that fab uniform don't you?! :p :} Send some to us, we'lll help you eat it!!! :E

Sky

fly_away
22nd Jun 2006, 07:01
Bad news babe,:sad:

jsut think the more interviews you go for the better you get. and yes your not going to knwo why they didnt take you but it is probably alot to do with that you havent finnished your vce. so get it done and try again and agian and again till you get it. you jsut now have to find something else to keep you occupied for the mean time until oyu can apply again.:(

overhere
22nd Jun 2006, 07:50
Sorry about DJ, there are a few other airlines in MEL though....

QantasLink (Eastern) - http://www.cabincrew.staffcv.com

Rex - http://www.rex.com.au (and also on staffcv)

Jetstar - http://www.jetstar.com.au (also staffcv)

MAM - http://www.mam.net.au

Good luck!

seektofly
22nd Jun 2006, 08:25
Hi everyone again,

I just got home from work and I checked my emails and there was nothing there. But I DID do the interview on the Friday (the next day after IULIA)
and so I expect to get mine tomorrow, seeing that she got one today (Thursday - exactly one week after the interview ) :suspect:

How was the chocolate cake Iulia? :p - Next time you make some you will have to send us all some - CHOCOLATE CAKE - YUMMMMMMMMMMMMM

STF

Sylphie
22nd Jun 2006, 11:57
Aw, so sorry to hear the news Iulia! I hope you're feeling OK. I was a little stunned [hehehe] the first 24 hours upon receiving 'the news'. Persist! Taking into consideration your height, definitely apply for Rex and QF Link. Or at least do some research into their routes and bases etc. Also consider Guest Services with Virgin if you don't mind doing ground work for at least 9 months. If you manage to get that role, you tend to have a slightly better chance at getting a transfer, up against the people who have to go to recruitment days [like us. lol]

As for the reasons why.. It may very well have been down to the fact of you not having completed VCE yet as others have said .. focus on that whilst your applications are sitting there with those other airlines. ;)

I think it's ok to do some self evaluation and try to think of things you could develop in the event you have another interview but please don't get too caught up in it. We will all never know how close we were to make the cut, or what exactly we did wrong etc! Just reflect on what you know you did right and try to think positively about the future. It will happen!

Iulia
22nd Jun 2006, 23:18
Well, I didn't cry at all about it, so thats a good thing. My bf was like whacking my on the back, as if I were choking and saying 'its okai, let it out, just cry, its okai' but I didn't feel the need to! lol ate my yummy mudcake... while it was warm! blah don't wanna see mudcake for a while now...:\
Anyway... yes, I will try to apply for those other smaller airlines, given my height and all...
And you're all probably right, having not finished VCE yet may have discouraged them from wanting me, but then again there were some other girls there that I spoke to and had been drop outs at like years 9 and 10... but I can't remember whether they got through to the second round on the day or not... still, they too hadn't completed their VCE.
But maybe it was also my availability, as Tom insisted on a date when I could start, and I said the 10th Oct, so perhaps they just really wanted people to start asap and I wasn't able to be one of them because of my schooling...:confused:
Its probably for the best, I'll finish my VCE with all my other school friends and then hopefully be called up for some more F/A interviews... I'd hate to pay my first semester fees at uni and then drop out coz of a F/A position opening! :p

Iulia
22nd Jun 2006, 23:20
Guys... another thing, don't wanna seem like a tight ar$e, but is there anyway of avoiding the fee on staffcv.com when applying to multiple airlines?

seektofly
23rd Jun 2006, 01:10
Iulia,

You are not a tight ar$e by asking that question. I don't think that staff CV should charge people to apply to the airlines. It is crazy! :ugh: Not only do we have to pay for all the certificates that you need to apply to the airlines anyway, then you have to pay for your suit, your hair, etc.. etc.. It gets really really expensive.:\
The easiest way to do it is to create new email accounts and logging into Staff CV under a new email account each time. You might end up with like 4 or 5 different email accounts, but if you keep track of them (like in a log book or whatever) that is best way to avoid those unnecessary costs. :=

Good luck with it all

STF

Iulia
23rd Jun 2006, 02:13
Hehehe I thought of that too, and seeing as I have two emails (one with yahoo and one with hotmail) I have already done that... but now I have to make new email accounts for all the other airlines I want to apply for.. bummer... anyway I will do that :)
Thanks!

smile
23rd Jun 2006, 08:12
HI Iulia,

Sorry to hear about your email. As the others said use this experience to your advantage.

I don't believe that your height had anything to do with the rejection and I would probably put it down to your VCE. If it was height you wouldn't have made it through the first round- they wouldn't have wasted thier time interviewing you if they thought you were too short. (Trust me I only make the height limit by 1cm- and I am hardly ever the shortest on the crew).

Please don't leave this site- there is so much fantastic information on it. I know PPRUNE helped me though my interview with Virgin.

Anyway apply again as soon as you can- and if you fly with me make sure you bring some of that mud cake.

love SMILE

Iulia
23rd Jun 2006, 09:34
I'll make sure not leave PPRUNE, just coz of you ;) lol it'd be amazing to wor for Virgin, and perhaps then (if/when I'd get in) we could all swap real names and actually meet on a flight! lol hehehe would be cool... though it kills me to think I gotta wait another year to reapply! I'm going what what STF suggested and am opening new accounts so I can apply to more airlines through staffcv.com without incurring that horrid $20US fee plus $5 annual fee... :D hehehe
if I get the job with Virgin, it'll be mudcake for all! lol I always bake cakes, muffins, scones etc and take them to work at the library, but mostly for my bf and the other ppl in his office... I'm known for it, hopefully one day I can do the same for Virgin ;) lol

Sylphie
23rd Jun 2006, 10:00
Well whatever you do, good luck! :D

Iulia
23rd Jun 2006, 10:55
Any news..? Hope you didn't get the dreaded email!! :}

Iulia
23rd Jun 2006, 12:03
Any news..? Hope you didn't get the dreaded email!! :}

seektofly
24th Jun 2006, 04:02
Hi guys,

I am still waiting for the "awful" email that says ".....unfortunately on this occasion you have not been successful however blah blah bloop..."
My interview was last Friday - 8 days ago (w/ends included) - and I am checking my emails every 4 hours. I will keep you guys posted.

Iulia, please don't stop writing on pprune. We want to know what you are up to in regards to applying and wishing you well. It is not only a site where you can find out information, but you also get alot of support too.

- I am sure you will get into the airlines. With that determination that you have, you will do it. I promise. Too many people "give up" because they have had two or three rejections. I can't tell you how many times I have been rejected because I have lost count. If flying is your passion, and you get rejected, you have to get up, brush yourself off, and try again - until you get there. Believe me... YOU WILL !!! :O

I will let you know about Virgin, once I hear something further. I am guessing it will be early on next week (Monday or Tuesday).

Until then guys, have a fabulous weekend :p

STF

Iulia
24th Jun 2006, 04:15
Okai, am trying to be optimistic about this whole F/A business, but was wondering... do other airlines have the 12mnth waiting period as VIrgin do after you apply? Like, if I get rejected by another airline, do I have to wait 12mnths for them too, ask I'm having to wait with Virgin??
Thanks in advance! xox:suspect:

Hostee
26th Jun 2006, 07:56
Just got an email from VB, asking me to come to a Virgin Recruitment day on the 5th of July!
Already got the suit and the nails! Just have to figure out how to get a few days off work..... oh and fly to MEL from Dubai!! Hahaha.. minor details!
Shall be reading this thread VERY carefully until then to make sure i'm in tip-top form for the recruitment day!
Iulia..... sorry to hear you didn't make it this tim, but keep your chin up hun... as soon as you are eligible again, REAPPLY!
And as soon as you turn 21, or you are about to turn 21... apply to Emirates!!

Also, does anyone have any idea how long it takes from the VBRD til the start of training?
4 weeks? 2 months??
Yes... i've got some great positive thinking going on here!

seektofly
26th Jun 2006, 08:26
:ooh: Hi guys,

As promised I am "keeping you posted" - I got a call from Virgin Blue today asking about one of my referrees... and then I got a call from another of my referrees telling me that Virgin had called them!

I don't know how I am going to go - and if I will end up going to the Medical, but I am keeping my fingers crossed. :ok:

Hostee, I am sure you will make it down for the interview on July 5. At our interview day, there were quite a few from Emirates that had come down for the interview, and one I think was on Annual leave... Good luck!

Iulia
26th Jun 2006, 08:54
:ooh: Great to hear STF, I hope all the best for you!! Remember us, don't forget us hopefuls once you go into training school and become a gorgeous F/A ;)
And Hostee, good luck to you too :) Surely you'll find a way to come down to Melb ;) I will definately try for Emirates once I'm 21yrs, but I doubt they'd want someone that hasn't previously been a F/A... personally, I think those of you out there who are trying for other F/A positions with other companies have a huge advantage over others and good on ya's ;)
:ok: toodles!!

Sylphie
26th Jun 2006, 11:31
Hey guuuuys. Not VB related but still job related -- Things seem to be looking up for me again. Jetstar invited me to an assessment day this afternoon.. for next week. Fingers crossed - and manicured all over again. Haha.

I feel SO much more prepared this time round even though I was pretty well prepared before thanks to some great advice on this site. I also bought a fantastic book recently written by a Flight Attendant especially for Cabin crew interviews, that has a lot of info especially related to where I think I buggered up slightly with Virgin. The Role Play. So I endevour to use this info next week.

I've heard that the interviews with Jetstar are much more drawn out and a slower process over time, but I'm feeling positive. I want to be a F/A already :uhoh:

Congrats STF for getting past the reference section. At least they called yours! That's a positive step towards medicals. And Iulia have you applied to the other airlines yet?? Hostee you seem to have a great posibility of employment w. VB if you're already with Emirates!! [you are with them aren't you??]

Good Luck all!
xxx

seektofly
27th Jun 2006, 04:29
Hi guys,

Thanks for all your support! I have just found out that V.B. have called 2 of my referees (I had listed 4 down), and I know 2 other people who are in the same boat as me... so fingers crossed.;)

Iulia, even if I do get in to V.B, I will expect to see you helping me out with the 150 or so passengers soon enough! (with or without that chockie cake that you were telling us about... but I personally hope it is with!) :E

I know that the recruitment process for any airline is nerve wracking, and scary, but, having been to soooo soooo many of them, I went into the V.B interviews so relaxed and pretended that the interviewers were old friends of mine. It shows that you are relaxed and friendly, so think positive and you will be fine. To my interview, I wore a pretty red ribbon in my hair - I think it might have bought me luck! :p
Now I wait. I will keep you posted about my further progresses (or no progresses in the recruitment - I just was under the impression that V.B called the referees and then called you on the same day requesting that you go for a medical - but it might not be so) :confused:

Will let you know.

STF

Iulia
27th Jun 2006, 11:24
Good onya Sylphie! So happy for you ;) Well, I have actually applied to many other airlines Melb-based with staffcv.com... is that were you applied for Jetstar also? Well, it must have since there's no other way in applying... silly me! lol
And SeekToFly... way to go! When I was in my hour-long interview with VB, they marked down preference of who you wante your two referees to be called most out of all of them you know, so same thing could have happened to you, they weren't going to call all four! :) I hope all the best for you, and I swear, as you all are my witnesses, I'll be baking cakes every second day for whatever airline employs me as a F/A with love, and tender care to make the cakes PERFECT! Just someone, give me a chance!! lol
seeya peeps, and keep keeping us posted on te progress! hehe:ok:

Gloria
28th Jun 2006, 04:19
Hell everyone, just curious- had a Virgin recruitment day in Melbourne on Mon 19th. They called my references on Thursday 22nd but have had no contact either way since. Is no news good news at this stage or should i assume the worse. I have to admit that the day was really enjoyable and I thought the people VB have in place doing the recruitment was a good mix- I'll still feel that way if the dreaded email comes. Any news from anyone on this will be greatly appreciated!!!!! They did say we would hear within 2 weeks????

seektofly
28th Jun 2006, 09:24
Hi everyone,

I am still waiting for Virgin Blue to get back to me... I had my referees checked on Monday/Tuesday, but still haven't heard anything yet...
Gloria it looks like we are in the same boat (although the difference is that I went for my interview on Friday 15 June and had to wait just over a week for them to get back to me) waiting for them to send us maybe to the Medicals. Fingers crossed for both of us.

Keep you posted.
STF

Iulia
28th Jun 2006, 10:58
I'm glad to hear that everythings going well for you ladies, it certainly seems that way! Let us know how it goes okai ;) xox

Hostee
29th Jun 2006, 05:55
STF and gloria..... i hope to be in the same 'worry' boat as you guys soon!
I'm confirmed for my VRD on Wed.... just going to pop down from Dubai for it!!
Hahaha!
Hey STF... you said some Emirates people were at your interview..
Do you know if any of them got through to the next stage, the reference check stage? Or did they get sent home after the group work?
I haven't done an interview for 4 years so will be reading these pages very well over the next few days! Thank you to all those that described the VRD!
I'll add my own version too.
Sylphie... yep i do fly for Emirates... and I absolutely LOVE my job! :ok:
But after 4 years... I'm ready to come home, but still continue flying!
GOOD LUCK for your Jetstar assessment day!
Iulia.... its great to hear you are still so positive hun! With that kind of attitude you will HAVE to get a F/A job with someone! And when i joined Emirates, i had never flown before as an F/A.... so keep them in mind for when you are`21... mind you,by then you'll already be working for Virgin/Jetstar/Qantas and may not wanna leave!! Hopefully it'll be at Virgin, with Gloria, STF, Sylphie and myself!! ;)

seektofly
29th Jun 2006, 07:28
I just got a call from Virgin Blue...

Im going to a Medical! Still in Shock! :eek:

Keep you posted further! :)

SkySista
29th Jun 2006, 09:24
Congrats STF!!! All the best!!

Iulia
29th Jun 2006, 13:06
Hehehe awww thanks Hostee, especially for that last part where you 'predicted' I'd already be working for Virgin/Jetstar/Qantas by the time I'm 21 and ready to apply for Emirates... lol
Round of :D for SeekToFly!! Woo hoo!!
And yes, hopefully me, Iulia, together with Hostee, SeekToFly, Sylphie and Gloria and zoom zooming in the air with Virgin Blue! hehehehe wishful thinking, but it makes me smile even after a miserable day!!:p
PS- Hostee, at my recent VBRD I met this great guy whose every second word was 'dal' and 'hunny' if you get my drift, but his smile was infectious and he generally seemed a great guy. He was last of all on my VBRD to get interviewed the one-hour and the roleplay (I know this because I was second last!) lol I can't help but have a strooong feeling he would have made it far as he had like 4yrs experience with Emirates, and during my hour long interview, I could hear his replies at the table next to me and they were good examples that he was giving his assesor!!

Hostee
29th Jun 2006, 13:36
STF.... hun well done..... another tick in the box on your way to being DJ crew!! :D

Iulia.. thanks for that info about the Emirates guy at your VBRD!!
Wonder if i know him????? Anyhoo... Hopefully i'll get to the hour-long interview/role play too.... will have to make notes on my examples before i go i think.. Jet lag plays havoc with the memory!

Sylphie
30th Jun 2006, 03:30
Congrats you guys w/ interviews and medicals! Good luck to everyone, especially the others still paving their way toward an invitation!

We will all be working in the skies soon!

** Spreads good luck wishes to and fro **

:ok:

seektofly
30th Jun 2006, 09:08
Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to let you guys know that I am all booked in for a medical on Thursday morning. I am sooo sooo nervous and soo soo scared. In the email that I got from V.B. it says that they have gowns and privacy screens if I feel a little uncomfortable, and that I should wear a t-shirt and shorts and wear full briefs! :eek: OK. Should I be worried or not??? :ooh:

Hopefully after the medical I will know one way or the other.

Fingers crossed for me!

Will keep you posted.

Seektofly xox :O

Iulia
30th Jun 2006, 10:41
Hey, I'm being serious when I ask... do they poke stuff for samples etc up the ahuuums of girls and guys, similar to a pap smear? Coz I imagined that the medicals were about your weight, height, breathing, pulse, teeth, and urine sample for drugs... at the interview I was told that they don't even take a blood sample... its just weird that they're providing a gown and screens, I thought it would be a quick 10-min sort of medical... sounds like something that is gonna take long time!!! ;)
Let us know what they do to ya STF lol!
xox
PS- no matter what they do in the medical, no need to be embarrassed, a doctor is a doctor and I'm sure they've seen it all hundreds of times!:D

smile
30th Jun 2006, 11:51
If I can remember my medical correctly (a couple of years ago now) the following is what they tested.

Lung capacity, height, urine sample, hearing, colour blindness, balance, hernia's, spine... could have been a few more don't really remember.

You do need to strip down a little for when they test for hernia's and your spine. But I can assure you that you'll still be wearing more than you wear at the beach.

Iulia
30th Jun 2006, 11:54
How do they test for hernia's??? Curious! :P

Sylphie
30th Jun 2006, 11:55
I think they can test manually [with pressure on areas] or with an ultrasound.. :}

Iulia
30th Jun 2006, 12:11
Ohhhh! okai thats alright, so long as you don't have to go on your hands and knees with no knickers on... that would be reallllll embarrasing, especially if its a male doctor and not a female! lol

wannabeVB
30th Jun 2006, 13:37
Hi people's,
I attended my VRD on June 15 and am now booked into a medical for next thursday :) :) :) ( I am a very excited)
I can't beleive I didn't know about this forum sooner, it would have helped me sooo much at the VRD, but better now than never hey :) I don't feel so 'in the dark' about the whole process now.
But STF like you I was a bit scared of the whole full brief and shorts thing!! but thankfully it doesn't sound to bad (thankyou smile for your feed back)
Keep you posted!

seektofly
30th Jun 2006, 16:15
Hi guys,

The way they check for Hernia's is bending from side to side and forwards and backwards. Then they also feel around your tummy and sides (and they use alot of pressure when they are feeling for them). :bored:

My last aviation medical that I went for they made me squat down and walk whilst squatting... if you know what I mean. They were checking for flexibility in the joints.:suspect:

I asked how long the medical would go for, and I was told roughly about an hour or so. Gee, that IS a long time, but taking into account the hearing test and the visual test, the urine test and the flexibility and hernia tests... I guess it would take that long.:uhoh: I am a bit worried, but the part that worries me the most is getting on the scales!!! OMG.

I also asked which Doctor would be seeing me, and I was told that it would be a Female Doctor (who I think I would feel more comfy with seeing that we have to take off layers of clothing!)

By the way, you guys all rock!!! Your support has been great. Gloria, did you hear anything after they called your referees?? I hope that one day we will all get to work together! What a great team we'd make! :D

Seek.to.Fly.

Iulia
1st Jul 2006, 07:40
Last night I was researching courses to become a pilot online... and today, whilst working at the library, a man came up to the desk to collect and pay for his print-outs off the net. He was researching those aid programs in Papua New Guinea and I asked him what it was all for, and he explained to me that he's a pilot and wants to start another sort of flying aid (doctors I think?) to PNG..! Amazing how I met a pilot the day after researching it online... I think he was the real deal, he had some cap that had embroidered some flying school on it, and even gave me his business card from a whole stack of business cards he had. (Also I looked up his details in our system... hehehehe!) He's as old as my dad... nearing 50's.. so I felt okai to give him my email as I'm going to email him some churches that I think would be willing to fund some of his work (I used to do fundraisers etc with the church for needy children in poor countries) and also he spoke to me about possible courses/degrees I could do... interesting... fingers crossed! I WANNA BE IN THE SKY REAL BAD!! :\

DJTibby
1st Jul 2006, 11:30
Iulia do you want to become a pilot?

Iulia
2nd Jul 2006, 03:03
Anything in the sky now... I figure if I have the brains for it... which I hope I do... I dunno, I'm looking into it... I was hoping that perhaps the demand for pilots is higher and less competitive as it is for CC... it so buggers me how I can be so determined, and yet it would probably take me no where. No matter how much travel experience I have (been oversea's over five times, went to many countries; Russia, Hing Kong, Austria, Romania, Japan, Malaysia just to name a few) and eventhough I may speak a foreign language as well as know Auslan sign language, it wasn't good enough for VB.

DJTibby
2nd Jul 2006, 04:09
I'm determined to and have less skills than you! Forget about them for now untill next year when you can re-apply, focus on becoming a pilot if thats what you want, if your 160cm+ apply for JQ international do as much as you can so that you are really prepared and have shown by next time what you can accomplish in order to become cabin crew for them!:ok: Lots of very young people like ourselves (being only 18) get turned down. Just keep trying!

sinala1
2nd Jul 2006, 04:11
Iulia sorry mate, but the competitiveness for commercial airlines pilots jobs is about 100fold that of cabin crew - and thats after the 3 - 7 years, not to mention all the $$$, you will spend in GA banging around up north or out west somewhere... :{

Iulia
2nd Jul 2006, 07:19
I feel awful... what am I to do? I think I'll just get into the IT course I need to become a librarian, start doing that and perhaps keep reapplying to other airlines for CC positions... until maybe someone gives me a chance..! And then I guess I could put my uni course on hold and come back to it whenever, or even do it by correspondence... the posibilities are endless in life... but thats the thing, they're ONLY possibilities... it all depends on whether someone's willing to give lil me a chance... whaaa!!:\

overhere
2nd Jul 2006, 08:04
Iulia

1. Commercial flying is much harder to get into then CC ever will be. If that is your "second/easy option" then forget about it. If you're serious about it then do some research (it's evident from your thread in D&G you need to do some) and see it it's still for you. It's a VERY VERY long,hard road.

2. I get the idea you think flying is all fun and glamour. There's a serious side to it too and it'll change a lot of aspects of your life. I know people who have been to 20+ interviews before they got a job and that was when they were in their very late 20's or early 30's. It can be a long road to becoming CC - because to preform the job you need a demostrated level of maturity, level headedness, priortisation skills and be able to respond to just about anything calmly. Essentially you need enough life experience and essential skills to get you by in the air. I'm not saying you don't have them yet, but maybe, just maybe the airlines are wanting a bit more life experience from you before they look at you again.

Don't be one of these people who turns it into "the airlines don't want me", "I'm not good enough", "I'll never get in" etc etc, we've all heard it all before. If you're serious about a career in flying then you need to look at what skills you have and what skills you still neeed and then work on it.

Finally do some research, find out what the job really involves and work out why you really want to fly.

It's competitive for a reason - theres lots of people with lots of skills going for only a few jobs. YOU have to make yourself competitive - no-one else can do that for you.

Iulia
2nd Jul 2006, 08:24
Actually, I have been researching it a fair bit, its the actual job I want to know about because everyone seems to be slandering it..! And I was only thinking perhaps another way of flying would be to become a pilot, I'm still in school but will have to apply to courses by the end of September and so I want to make an informed decision when I do.
Secondly, I am young, flexible, have travelled extensively for someone of my age in comparison with others, and am not tied down, have no children and don't plan to until its the last minute... I want to travel, I don't feel tied down to family and friends, I enjoy working with the public and believe that I am made for the customer service sector.
I'm not feeling 'sorry' for myself, as you seem to think I am. I am merely fustrated at the fact that airlines are wanting older people as you seem to be implying, "life experienced". If airlines want older people whom they will only be employing for say, a decade, then so be it. They have a wide variety of eager hopefuls for CC positions, and I'm just a small face in a big crowd.
I've got a question for you... whats the oldest age of a "life experienced" cabin crew that you've come across? Because you seem to say that airlines don't want em young, they prefer them older...
I have many friends that are 'life experienced' as you put it, some are complete idiots and are yet to find a full-time job, others are married and are on their way to their third, fourth kid!
What I think people need to understand is that with age doesn't necessarily come maturity.

overhere
2nd Jul 2006, 12:49
I totally agree with you, I was (actually still am?) young and have done a lot and struggled to overcome the very same thing you are.

I've worked (I actually did my initial CC training too) with 18 year olds, no-one is saying airlines don't hire people straight from school, it's just that they are careful when doing so.

Life Experience doesn't mean someone has travelled or what not, it's about the challenges and situations they've faced and how they've delt with them. It's about whether or not they can handle 100 passengers staring at them, looking for support and being able to control them when things go wrong. It's about being able to handle a angry passenger, a out of control child and still be able to smile and get the job done - because it happens every day.

Anyway, to be honest with you pprune probably isn't the best place to be researching... you'll find a lot of bitter people here, especially in D&G.If you want to research being a pilot seriously, goto your local flying club or school and do a TIF flight and chat to the CFI - they'll be able to give you some useful info.

If you want any info on being a pilot or FA you can PM me, i've seen both ends of the plane.

I just wanted you to realise that people work for many years to achieve their dream of working for an airline, it doesn't happen overnight. If you're serious about it and that's what you want then good luck to you, I'm sure you'll get there and remember that sometimes the journey is just as important as reaching your destination.

Iulia
2nd Jul 2006, 22:04
Its just so annoying to see that there are such few positions in CC or few being offered here in Australia... in Europe many of my relatives are out of jobs due to having lived in a corrupt and communist countries, and to this day their country is still struggling... so I can understand WHY there aren't many jobs there, be it in the aviation industry, or working IN a factory... but what I don't understand is why trying for CC is so competitive? I rekon there should be another step (as the RSA, SFA etc are) so that it can eliminate those who wouldn't stand a chance. And maybe some training/course to do in 'customer service' as it seems you are describing, and perhaps more leniency when looking at an 18yr olds application. They can have their way (the airlines), I wont remain this age forever, I only feel sorry for future 18yr olds who may be in the same position as me in future years.

mostie
2nd Jul 2006, 23:15
The airline with the red tail has employed over 1000 longhaul flight attendants over the last 5 years.

The jobs have ALL been offshore.........

DJTibby
3rd Jul 2006, 03:49
Iulia, I know exactly how you feel!! I've been reading your posts, sitting here nodding my head. I too am 18 and to be quite honest feel frustrated. Being young in this industry is like having a disability! Well weve come to late! gone are the days of discriminating against older people, now its discrimination against the young ones. If only we were older maybe they would take more notice.:ugh: remember how virgin blue crew were all young? then the court case with the 50+ year olds, now they only seem to want older ones to prove a point. I can totally understand! all we can do is busy ourselves with as many jobs as we can to show "experience" untill were hired. I can't say im looking forward to a 10 year wait though :uhoh:

skyshow
3rd Jul 2006, 03:59
Just remember that you are up there for safety, as well as service.
In my company we have hired one 18 yr old I know of (in the last four years), a couple 19 yr olds but the majority over 21 (and while we're talking about age, the highest around 45 yrs)..
Probably because someone over 18 could have had more life experience. For example, helped in a car accident or assisted someone choking in a restaurant (for extreme examples). And perhaps they would know, before applying with airlines as cabin crew, that in these already experienced sticky situations, they will either fall or crumble under pressure... or more positively may cope better than others.
Also, customer service experience is needed for a cabin crew position. How much customer service can someone have if they've just turned 18, finished high school working 1 or 2 four hour shifts a week?
I know every one is different, but wouldn't this situation be a common one as to why some people find it hard to fly at 18ish?
Just trying to see it from a recruiter's side.

Iulia
3rd Jul 2006, 04:01
BUT I think when recruiting, VB should look more at the individual, and not the age... I mean, I'm been working since I WAS 15!! in customer service, thats just over 3yrs experience now, and I'm currently emloyed on a part-time contract at my lib and getting paid just under $20AUD an hour... thats amazing and unheard of, say at McDonalds for someone my age... PLUS the numerous weird requests we get, unusual situations etc the other week, a lady's vericose vein burst (I wasn't working, but this was told to me by the first aider) and a librarian there had her first aid certificate and rushed to help her and clean up the mess... other times, people ahve thrown up, requested to use the phone coz of a weird guy following them, we've been threatend or followed to our cars etc I think I've gained more experience working in the library then I had in my year of retail in my local shopping centre, regardless of age. Anyhow, I will wait patiently, continue with some other course (as I have to apply soon through VTAC) and keep reapplying to airlines, and IF I should so happen to be invited to another VBRD (or any other airline for that matter... I'm desperate to be a CC) I will gladly accept and trot my little bottom to the day :)

skyshow
3rd Jul 2006, 04:10
I said but wouldn't this situation be a common one as to why some people find it hard to fly at 18ish?

Your experience isn't a common one. You've worked earlier than many people and have experienced things other people may not have. So in three years of working from 15, you've had certain experiences and I congratulate you on doing well for yourself. But in three years of the more common person starting working around 17 or 18 yrs old, that brings them to 21 yrs old to acheive more or less of what you have by 18.
But keep in my for example that a 25 yr old may not get the job either, even if they've flown as cabin crew previously! It isn't always an age issue, of course.

DJTibby
3rd Jul 2006, 04:11
I too have been working since I was legally allowed too, my dad has been very Ill and the emergency situations I have been in (serious emergencies) I couldn't even begin to count. I know I am prepared for this job, and when it comes down to it the criteria to get in seem like you need to be a rocket scientist, not customer service/safety.

skyshow
3rd Jul 2006, 04:20
you need to be a rocket scientist, not customer service/safety

I disagree. For example, Jetstar ask you have at least a year 10 certificate. Not many rocket scientists I know have left school at year 10!
I will also say you guys seem great and well experienced. It is good to see people your age getting out there and trying. I have no doubt, somewhere in time, you will get there. FYI I started trying at 19, several interviews later I got in as cabin crew close to my 21st birthday!

Iulia
3rd Jul 2006, 04:27
Its good to have encouragement... it seems that some are fortunate enough to get in sooner then others (say, in a year or two) while those less fortunate struggle as much as ten years... so... it'll be a while, or a long while... who knows! but thanks again.. ;)

DJTibby
3rd Jul 2006, 04:39
nicely said;)
lets hope were in the skies sooner than later:ok:

SkySista
3rd Jul 2006, 04:50
Just going back to medicals for a sec... don't worry too much girls. The shorts/t-shirt thing is manly because you'll find it easier to bend/stretch etc when doing the flexibility tests... they get you to do things like touch your toes, put your arms over your head, side to side, twist around and touch your ear to your shoulders and so forth.

In my QF medical I had a male doctor, which weirded me out at first, but he was fine and so matter-of-fact about the whole thing that I felt ok. As you say he does hundreds of these things so seeing you in your frilly undies isn't anything new to him!!! :}

hey actually gave me a gown to wear over my underwear, the only time i really had to take it off was so he could look at my spine and also when I was lying on the bed so he could press my stomach to check for hernias.... they just get you to cough and when you cough they push down to feel if there's anything there... king of like when you a little kid and the doc is checking your appendix...

All the other stuff is pretty routine, I don't know of any airlines in Aus who require a pap smear or anything like that, in fact on the QF medical form it's quite clear there is nothing of the sort required so you know if the doc is fibbing... but they're professionals and they know wht they have to do for the medicals...

As for the time taken, it's mainly the waiting in between tests that takes so long!!! =D

Wrt age/experience... it can be a tricky one... I'm in my early 20's, thought I can handle stuff pretty well re: delays, angry pax, emergecies etc... have had a few things happen in the last year which have made me re-think how prepared I was vs how I THOUGHT I was when I was say, 19. Now I have been through a life-threatening emergency, known I can handle it if I have to (thoughI would have like to handle it better) but now I know for next time what I need to do and it's made me that bit more confident about my ability to do my job and help my pax should there be an emergency.

wannabeVB
3rd Jul 2006, 11:06
Thanks for the heads up SkySista!
I am dreading going through this whole process and get to as far as I have gotten with the medical and not get through! My blood pressure must be through the roof!!

overhere
3rd Jul 2006, 12:23
DJ Tibby,

I think you'll find that the change in DJ recruiting has little (if anything) to do with a court case and more to do with the waythey are now positioning themselves in the marketplace.

Gone is the ultra low cost holiday carrier - you're now looking at Australia's second largest airline, looking to cement it's place in a high yield business market too. That requires a whole different mix of people on-board.

Your 18, but the world isn't against you, it's just the industry is ever changing and the window of opportunity for recruitment can be small.

While it's competitive to get a job in Australia, it's far from impossible. There is a whole lot more recruitment now with JQ and DJ then there was 8 years ago with AN and QF.

DJTibby
3rd Jul 2006, 15:16
thanks overhere. I just hope to squeeze through that window very very soon, It is draining going to so many recruitment days and not getting anywhere. surely persistence must help?:cool: I know for a fact that I have been to more airline recruitment days in 6 months (since leaving school) than a lot of cabin crew have in there career and there already in the sky (meaning they got in lol). It almost becomes personal and you do start to question yourself! so far i have been to: QF link, MAM, JQ, DJ, DJ ground and had 2 nos from DJ a no from QF links, haven't heard back from MAM and haven't heard back from JQ. (I went to JQ a few times as with DJ):sad:
anyway all in all thats 6 days in 6 months!! one recruitment a month almost! Im hoping now to hear from JQ international and maybe sunstate, get another 2 shots!

Iulia
3rd Jul 2006, 21:50
I just realised... I'll be 19yrs and a half when I'm next able to apply with Virgin... rekon they'll look at me differently then? There was this other girl at my VBRD she was only 19 and already working for Ozjet, but trying out with VB and when she asked my age and I told her, she was like "you're just a baby hun!" and I felt like saying "look at yourself!" my goodness, big difference, one year..! But I'm determined :p

Gloria
5th Jul 2006, 06:38
As it has been said in this post, Virgin are starting to head in a different direction than previous. Four years ago the oldest CC I believe was around 32 & there weren't many of them. I now think people of all ages and that includes 19 yr olds and 35 years all have equal chance regardless of court cases. At my recruitment day the ages ranged from approx 18 - 36. The mix that was invited back included both ends of the bracket. So I firmly believe the old mix of presentation and experience will now win you over than previous requirements. As I said before, the day(VBRD) was great and it geniunely made me want to work for them. By the way have had medical- no nails are left so I guess i"ll to wait!!!!! Goodluck to all. By the way regardless of the company, flying is still a great job and don't let anyone tell you different.

seektofly
5th Jul 2006, 09:09
Not that Im counting or anything... but I have my medical in approximately 14 hours for VB. :eek:

Gloria, what did they do to you at your medical and when did you have it??? I have mine tomorrow.:rolleyes:

Its good to hear that they are recruiting all kinds of people now. I thought I would never have a chance with Virgin - but maybe I just do!?! :\

SkySista
6th Jul 2006, 05:12
wannabeVB, don't stress too much - I'm sure if your bp reading is a little on the high side they will do it again, and get you to rest for a few minutes. If you're feeling nervous, tell them. It's quite natural to feel nervous as for you, the medical is a big thing.

If the results aren't up to scratch on things like bp, lung capacity etc, they will usually try again on the day a bit later on - they're not out to 'fail' you as such... I know of one girl who was called back a week later to re-do her pee test as the sample wasn't good enough for testing (something to do with her having drunk too much water before - so don't go crazy with the Evian guys!! :} )

Also, just remember not to make a boo-boo like I did and eat anything with poppy seeds in it the night before - I was happily eating crackers with cheese when I realised they had poppy seeds, haha I ran to the sink so fast and spat the whole lot out, my family thought I was nuts!!! :O

If you're nervous about the medical, have a practise up until the day and limber up on the day (esp if going in morning) do some stretches, try 'duck-waddling' on the floor (where you crouch/squat then 'walk' along at floor level) sounds really funny and I cracked up laughing when they made me do it!!! :p It's nothing really hard, so PLEASE don't worry!!! =)

Best of luck to you all!!!

Hostee
6th Jul 2006, 07:57
Hi all!!

Well i had my VBRD on Wed!! Am now waiting...like you all did...
for my email or phone call!!

I got through to the role-play/final interview!

It was a great day.... did so much chatting to all the others and to the interviewers!! Lucky for all that water they lay out for you!

Not sure how i feel about it... still trying to adjust to the fact i travelled a million miles there and back... and i have to work tonight now!! EEK!

Shall keep you all updated!

Good luck for those who have just had their medicals! Fingers crossed!

seektofly
6th Jul 2006, 08:17
GOOD WORK HOSTEE!! WOO HOO :D - now you have to wait also... I hope you get a phone call next from one of your referees saying that they called!

Anyway, I had my medical today. It wasn't as bad as all that. The Doctor was really kind and only got me to take off my skivvy. I was wearing pants, and she told me that I didn't have to remove them ;) PHEW!!!

I had to squat and do all this other stuff. I was told that everything looked pretty good... and that they would fax the results over to Virgin Blue. Who knows?!? We could know as early as next week!!! :uhoh:

Anyway, did anyone else have a medical today? Let us know how it went. After spending $187 I hope I get the job.:rolleyes:

STF

wannabeVB
6th Jul 2006, 10:24
Hi everyone!
I had my medical today as well STF and it sounds pretty much the same as yours, lots of waiting around and jumping on those dreaded scales:eek:
But it all went well, so now I have to wait and wait and wait, but hopefully not for too long :ugh:
Congrats Hostee on your VRD, I'm sure your phone will be ringing soon enough :)
Anyway back to waiting :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

Iulia
6th Jul 2006, 12:32
Life is full of waiting... waiting for a bus, waiting for a certain date, waiting for the clock off time, waiting for a friend to come over, waiting for a phone call.... waiting...! lol But the worst waiting is for news I rekon...!

Goodonya hostee for getting through to the major interview and role play, I had the doubt about you ;)

And will be having my fingers crossed for STF and WannabeVB as they wait for their replies from VB!!!:D

satellite1983
6th Jul 2006, 16:04
hey guys, i just had my vb vrd this week too! i have just found this site and only wish that i had seen it b4.
i was thinking about what you were saying re: age vs expeience... but i dont remember virgin taking my DOB at any stage? did they ask anyone else? they checked the expiry dates of my certificates, but nothing else...?

Iulia
6th Jul 2006, 23:13
My DOB was on right top hand corner of resume with addy and phone number etc. And the fact that they asked what I was currently doing, and I said high school yr12 would have given my age away.. lol did ya have fun at your VBRD? :)

Iulia
7th Jul 2006, 06:27
Heya peeps :)
Was just napping, and got an unexpected phonecall from REX for an interview in two weeks time! Now theres a reason to be woken up! hehe
so excited... another interview! its at the airport though... bummer, bit of a drive for me. If I were to get a job as CC I'd move anyway.
Was just curious, anyone here ever been for an interview for REX? How is their recruitment day, same as the others with registrations, spot interviews etc? Any info would help, thanks!

SkySista
7th Jul 2006, 06:59
Iulia, congrats!! By all accounts Rex are a great company to work for!! I know a few people recently were asking questions about them, maybe a search of the CC and D&G forums will turn something up for you.

Being a regional I'd hazard a guess that interviews will be on a smaller scale, but still similar questions to, say DJ or JQ. Just remember that with Rex you'd be a solo flightie, so think about the rewards and challenges of that as well!!

I know girls (& guys!) who have been solo flighties and loved it, other people may hate it because they prefer working with more people. However, having said that, Rex would be a fantastic opportunity to see all the goings-on of an airline, some may say 'stepping stone' but I reckon it would be a great career in it's own right; some people start regional and never go anywhere else because they love it so much!!

I've worked with a regional airline before, i can say definitely you'd have a fab time, lots of laughs as well as stressful days, but the fact you can recognise every face in the crew room and you know everyone can be so great, it's like a little 'family' away from home!!! :D

Good luck!!!

milbud
7th Jul 2006, 10:02
Hey Iulia, best of luck with REX, they seem to be a great crew and their CC are well respected by other airlines because they are people who are truly capable of handling themselves. There is little else as they are by themself all the time.

Seems to be a great operation at REX too! and growing nicely.

All the best for you interview, chin up and project self confidence...

Cheers.

satellite1983
7th Jul 2006, 13:05
Iulia, I didnt have my DOB on my resume coz i dont think its necessary... And u'll probably find that they don't keep it on file or anyhthing. i had a good time at the vrd... what did u think of the staff? they were so friendly i didnt feel nervous at all!

seektofly
7th Jul 2006, 14:23
Hi Everyone,

I just want you all to know that

I START TRAINING FOR VIRGIN ON

JULY 31 !!!!!

What a good way to start a weekend. I got the call at about 5.30 pm today as I was walking out of work with my 2 best pals from work. I don't think it has hit me yet.:eek:

All the best to those who are still waiting.

Iulia, go for the REX position. It's a start. It will get you places. ;)

Talk to you all soon

STF
xxx

Sylphie
8th Jul 2006, 01:10
Congrats hun, what awesome news! I only hope I can receive the same from JQ. You must be on such a high! Well done and have fun at training!

Iulia
8th Jul 2006, 01:40
So glad for you STF!!! Omgshhh you're IN!!! :) Yeh I rekon it'll be a while til it sinks in, this is what you've wanted for ageeeees!
satellite, i rekon the staff at my VBRD were sooo nice, they seemed to genuinely want to know you when they interviewed, and it just created this really warm, comfortable environment. I definately want to work for Virgin... but will give it a crack with REX its a foot in the door... mind you, if its real great and convenient, I may just remain! lol so many choices, but not many options (at present). All the best to peeps on this thread! I'm having a party tonight, will drink one for ya STF lol xox

SkySista
8th Jul 2006, 03:32
Congrats STF!!!! You are gonna have SO much fun!! Well done!! :D

adam_ant
8th Jul 2006, 03:34
Congrats STF - I guess we will see you online mid sept? Look after yourself in training.

wannabeVB
8th Jul 2006, 07:00
I GOT THE PHONE CALL LAST NIGHT AT ABOUT 6PM AND I START ON JULY 31 TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I CAN'T BELIEVE IT I AM STILL IN SHOCK!!
Now the headache of relocating starts cos I have to move from interstate. So if anyone needs a room mate PM me, please!
Congratualations STF, we'll be in the same school! I'll have a drink for you tonight.

Oh, and congrats Iulia for the interview with REX, I hope it goes well for you :D

Sylphie
8th Jul 2006, 07:13
Oh wow, congrats to you too WanabeVB. That's ace! You two will have to introduce yourselves to each other quietly on the day. Hehehe!

Perhaps all of our efforts are going to make a turn for the better, girls!

*fingers crossed*

Gloria
8th Jul 2006, 11:46
Got the call on Friday night, nearly choked on my dinner. "Congratulations your in" the voice on the other end of the phone.. Hasn't sunken in yet. Wow I too have to relocate so it's all systems go. Does anyone have a link to the VB EBA as I thought it was mentioned previously in this post. Congrats to everyone who got the call. I'm sorry to those who didn't- but never give up.There are alot of opportunities at the moment & you must stay positive. I've had plenty of "no thankyou's" & each time I learn a little more from each interview and I try to do better the next time. Goodluck.

smile
8th Jul 2006, 12:16
Gloria,

The EBA is on the FAAA website. It expired almost one year ago and negotiations are still on-going for the new one. "Google" CAP 371 to start getting info about our new EBA- this is the document that Virgin is using to base our new EBA on. Really take the time to understand, and ask lots of questions of current crew, about how any changes will affect your lifestyle. You will all be able to vote on the next EBA and you need to be informed. You'll be amazed how one bad clause in the EBA can affect your life for the next 3 years.

Oh.... and welcome to the company.

Hostee
8th Jul 2006, 18:16
A huge CONGRATULATIONS to STF, Gloria and WannabeVB!!

Well done guys thats great news!!:D So happy for you all!

Iulia
9th Jul 2006, 04:31
Hehehe thats sooo kool! WannabeVB and STF get to meet each other, and at the same training school!! You'll like, have to send pics or something beforehand so you'll know who you are.. instead of going around asking 'you STF?' or 'WannabeVB?' lol that'd be so funny!!

seektofly
9th Jul 2006, 04:53
:p Hi guys,:p

It is Sunday afternoon and I still don't believe it has sunk in yet!! :rolleyes:

Gloria and Wannabe, you guys are going to have to pm me soon to tell me your real names so that we will know who we all are before training begins. I think it is great to have "study buddies" in training school. ;)

Anyway, I am currently having problems with my pprune site, so I don't know if everyone else is. Pprune is telling me that I have 2 new pm's but when I go to my inbox they aren't there. HOW FRUSTRATING! :ugh:

Anyway, will you guys pm me to let me know - Iulia, have you sent me a pm because I don't know if you were one of the 2 new pms that I didn't get :{

I have told half of Melbourne my good news - however, the other half (which includes my mum and dad still don't know ) - I know that sounds harsh, BUT tonight we are going out for dinner for my mums birthday today, and I will tell them over a glass of KARDONAY (kath and kim style)
hehehehehe :p

Keep me posted as to what is happening and if I don't reply to your pm's its because I can't open them up!

Take care,

STF

eagle01
9th Jul 2006, 05:22
Hi STF

I want to ask you did you attendt the VRD on the same day as I did? - 16th firday ?

And you mentioned in your previous posts that everyone that made contact with the "old lady" at the VRD got through. How do you know that?

I think I rember you.......

eagle01
9th Jul 2006, 05:24
Hi Gloria

Congrats on getting through.....

have fun at VB

Eagle01

skycrewhosties
9th Jul 2006, 05:59
We congratulate you guys on the job at VB
we will ss you soon in th sky:)

Iulia
9th Jul 2006, 07:07
Yes I did PM you, I think like two days ago, I was congratulating you in private *wink wink nudge nudge* JOKE!!! I'm so proud of you *sniff sniff* you're really gonna make your mums night ;) they'll be so proud and happy for you... flying, AGAIN!! :) Will re-send the PM if you like..?

Hey, what old lady at the VBRD? I didn't see no old ladies there...? lol

eagle01
9th Jul 2006, 07:13
Iulia

when did you attentd the VBRD?

Iulia
9th Jul 2006, 07:19
I went on Thursday 15th June :)

eagle01
9th Jul 2006, 07:22
I went on the 16th the "old lady" was there, very nice lady....

What's the weather like in Melbourne?

eagle01
9th Jul 2006, 07:24
STF

How r u going...

SkySista
9th Jul 2006, 07:25
Wow this is so cool to hear of more VBette's-to-be!!! :D

Well done all on getting through from everyone who originally applied, it's no easy task and you are all going to have such a blast in g/s!! Yaaaaaaaay!!!

Iulia, when is your Rex interview? This week?

eagle01
9th Jul 2006, 07:31
Rex interview this week, see u there Iulia:)

seektofly
9th Jul 2006, 07:31
Hi guys,

Still haven't told my parents yet! 2 hours or so to go. OMG they are going to freak out! :E

Iulia, thanks for re sending that pm. I have replied to it. Yes, you are right, my folks are going to be very very excited!!! :D

Eagle, I have replied to you via a pm to your other name. :}

As far as "old ladies" go - there were no old ladies there on my VBRD... just one older lady who, like us all, was having a go at Virgin Blue. Maybe it was her dream to be a flight attendant too! We can't judge her because she didn't really look what we all considered "flight attendant material". Good on her, I say, for trying. I always thought that I was not young and beautiful and skinny enough for Virgin Blue, but I thought "I don't have anything to lose by trying at least". So I tried, and to my amazement :oh: , horror :eek:, and just pure happiness :O I made it through. So to anyone out there who wants to give it a go... do it. You just never know your luck in a big airline!!!

Virgin blue is really keeping the air... fair. :ok:

STF

Iulia
9th Jul 2006, 07:37
hahaha STF you're a sucker for VB already! lol thats good ;)
well at my VBRD there was only one 'older' lady, and she looked pretty good for someone who was, say, my mums age! SHe was nice too, but now that I think about it... is it possible that she was an undercover VB person??? Since everyone says that there was some 'old' lady at their VBRD?!!

And for all you peeps interested in me and my future... my REX recruitment day is on Wed 19th Jul, sorry eagle, it isn't this week, so I guess I won't be seeing you at yours.
xox

eagle01
9th Jul 2006, 07:38
I know about the older lady as I was talking to her so I know her past and the reason she was there...

eagle01
9th Jul 2006, 07:43
I guess not, but I am sure we and STF will meet again...
perhaps in the sky, perhaps at another interview, who knows...

monkey_boi
9th Jul 2006, 14:44
i start training on the 9th of October!
who else starts that day?

Iulia
9th Jul 2006, 21:11
Heya Monkey boi... training for VB I assume? When was your VBRD?? :)

Hostee
10th Jul 2006, 10:02
Iulia... i think Monkey Boi is from the UK and he meant Virgin atlantic...
I think so anyway..... I could be wrong though!
Either way... congrats monkeyboi for getting a job with Virgin, be it Atlantic or Blue!
Me: still waiting! Been 5 days since VRD!! :)

Iulia
10th Jul 2006, 10:06
Hmm... I dunno Hostee... monkey boi mentioned REX and the recruitment day, REX is only in Aus.... but hmmm:confused:

Gloria
10th Jul 2006, 11:07
Hey guys could someone please tell me where VB crew o/night in Sydney. Plus could someone please give a heads up on where the current EBA negotiations/agreements are at- I believe a new EBA is due soon. Cheers.

Flying Frypan
12th Jul 2006, 08:49
Sorry Gloria can't mention crew accom on public forum.
Further info on EBA is on the VB EBA thread so have a look and PM me if you have any questions.

Sylphie
12th Jul 2006, 12:48
How's everyone's stuff coming along? Hostee, have you heard anything yet? :O

It's been 6 days since my JQ assessment centre, I sure hope they contact my referees soon.. as up to today I've heard nothing from my references. I'm trying to be upbeat and positive.. So, good thoughts still.

Iulia, is your REX interview soon?!

mscabincrew
12th Jul 2006, 15:22
Hey there hun... I'm 18 and always been dying to become a flight attendent so naturaly now I'm old enough I've been applying like wild fire I was just wondering how you went about applying your first time which got you an interview.. how was your resume any pointers that could give me a helping hand what they are looking for thankyou so much sweetie :)

Iulia
12th Jul 2006, 22:01
Heya! And I'm assumming you were directing your questions to me? hehe
Anyway, so we're in the same boat.... 18.... you still at school, or finished last year? Have you previously worked in any customer service industry eg retail, fast food? And also, have you completed your RSA, got a licence, car, renewed passport, and senior first aid? Coz then you can start applying, though I see some airlines say its okai if you come to the interview just with the receipt that you'll be doing the course... but don't take any chances seeing as you're applying with as many airlines as you can, just be prepared and have all the certificates, saves having to worry about THAT when it comes to an interview.
My worries when it comes to an interview, are that I'm only 18 (and a half! lol remember always saying that as a kid?!) and I'm still in school, due to finish in like 8wks... so fingers crossed that the peeps at my recruitment day aren't too judgemental about that lil fact..! hehe
BUT do log onto cabincrew.com.au and APPLY APPLY APPLY!!! Make sure you read in which states the smaller regionals fly/are based in case you're not willing relocate etc. I've applied only to Melb-based airlines... while I'd love to fly, I'm not willing to relocate... I'm being stubborn as I figure Melbourne is hugeeeee and always thumping with something happening, and if I can't get CC with an airline here in Melb, I'll just keep on waiting to reapply again!
However, my ultimate dream is to work for the lovely Virgin Blue... *sigh* if I were to ever get a job with VB, I'd always thank the guy above in my prayers, always, without fail... thats how much I really long for it...
But enough about me... you were asking how did I get the interviews? or something like that, I think the trick is to make sure you have all the 'fields' required (as mesntioned above, passport, RSA etc) I don't think people should expect airlines to wait for them (airlines wouldn't anyway because there is such big competition in the industry, and if someone is already qualified/meets the requirments the airlines wont wait!) so yeh, thats my two cents on that :)
Also about my resume, my bf is a comp nerd and he made my resume really fancy shmansy, whilst easy to read at the same time :) He made if fit on two pages, and only included the ncecessities eg work history, referees, education and in the top right hand corner, my address, DOB (thouh I'm contemplating taking that one off!) and phone numbers (house/mob). If you're really worried about your resume, perhaps ask family members/friends whether they know a good layout and can help you out with it, or go to your local library (hehehe, libraries!!) and there are stacks of books there of 'how to' do professional resumes yourself etc :) If not, and this seems all too much of a hassle, find yourself one of those people in the classifieds of a newspaper that make you a resume given your details (my friend did this recently, cost her about $50 and burnt onto CD) and my boyfriend chimes in, you can also find examples/templates on the internet :)
I hope all my yadda yadda was helpful!! PM me if you have any more specific queries, and reading along this now HUGE thread LOL you will find many other smarter peeps who are currently working with a particular airline and can give ya a complete rundown of things, coz I'm still just a newbie... then again, when do you stop being new?? lol xoxo toodles!:ok:

Iulia
12th Jul 2006, 22:07
My interview with REX is next week Wednesday at precisely 10am Melbourne Airport....!!:\
... hey Sylphie, do tell us how the JQ interview went... I'm real curious, was it like the VB one??? And let us know as soon as you hear anything!!:}

zoom-zoom
13th Jul 2006, 02:24
Sylphie
no news is good news.
good luck, keep us posted :) :)

seektofly
13th Jul 2006, 10:33
:ok: Hey guys

Hope everyone is well. I finally told my parents and they are soo happy for me! Actually everyone was really excited for me.. as everyone knows how determined I was to become a flight attendant once again.

Anyway, Iulia your REX interview... I will be praying for you and thinking about you on Wednesday morning - it would be such a fantastic start to your avaiation career ;) ! I really hope you get it, because after that, next stop would be YOU KNOW WHO (and it rhymes too)

Sylphie, you will have to keep us all posted about your interview with JQ. My fingers and toes are crossed for you.

Where is Gloria and Wannabe? My 2 new study buddies to be??? Have you guys booked your uniform fitting yet? Mine is next Thursday morning! OMG!!! :eek: I get to try on the uniform !!! I just found out the colour of the stockings, and guess what? They are the stockings I usually wear anyway to work so YAY! I know how they are going to look at least!!!

Anyways, keep you all posted

Take care y'all :ok:

STF ;)

Iulia
13th Jul 2006, 11:10
One of my wisdom teeth are coming through, and its killing me! I wanna whack my cheek so hard so that it numbs it... can't take anymore tablets as I've reached the limit for today :( hope the pain subsides by my Wednesday interview... I talk with a lisp just so my gum doesn't hurt too much, thats how bad it is!

... But on a lighter note, its great to hear STF that the fam were wow-ed! out :) I'm suprised to that they're measuring y'all up already for uniforms, I thought that would come at the very end of the training.

I'd be worried about the exams in the training, they said at the VBRD that the pass minimum is like 80% for the majority, and then 90% for one in particular.

But I'm sure you'll be fine, as you've been a FA before and probably know the drill ;)

Sylphie
13th Jul 2006, 12:04
Thank you everyone for being so positive. It's staggering to see how nice everyone has been towards all us hopefuls, I love that.

I am still keeping positive, imagining a nice invite to the next stage appearing in my inbox! I hope so!

Good luck to all!!!

seektofly
13th Jul 2006, 13:57
Sylphie,

Positive thinking is really the way to go I promise :) Take it from an old boiler like myself. If you think positive, it will show in everything you do, and I am sure that you will get a lovely email in your inbox soon enough :O. Having said that, if you don't get one of those lovely emails, if you want something bad enough, it will come to you - trust me on this!;)

I have gone through 2 airline collapses. Had the last airline that I worked for not collapsed, I would have been still working for them, and probably would have never applied for V.B. Things DO happen for a reason - and it isn't just a cliche.:ok:

You will eventually get what you always wanted - as long as you never lose sight of what it is that you really want. GO FOR IT!!! I did. 3 times! (plus about 8 other times when I got those nasty little rejection letters!!!)
DONT EVER LET ANYONE DETER YOU OR PUT YOU OFF GETTING WHAT YOU REALLY WANT.:= GO FOR IT - because one day, when you least expect it... IT WILL HAPPEN. I CAN GUARANTEE IT!!! ;)

Yours truly,
STF

Hostee
13th Jul 2006, 15:05
Just a quick update...

Its been 8 days since my VRD and one of my referee's was contacted on Monday night! The other one hasn't been as yet.

Iulia.. i'll be thinking of you on Wednesday!
Sylphie.. fingers crossed hun!

STF... sounds like its all coming along nicely! Do you manage to have a break before training starts or do you have to finish one job on the Friday then start VB on the monday?

Take care all....

Iulia
13th Jul 2006, 22:04
Arrgghhh! Hostee, so EXCITED for you!! A referee was contacted.. wow!!! They MUST contact the other I assume, since they've made the effort with the other! ;)
Its so good to see you guys progressing, as Sylphie has mentioned, lots of support on this thread, and it really is giving us hope, plus, it makes this a lil easier.
I can only imagine in horror how SHOCKED I'd have been if I didn't have the knowledge from Pprune when I went to my VBRD! It was bad enough that everyone there was the ages of my older bro and sis... I felt out of place as it was, coz of their age, and the majority of them were like working in retail, David Jones etc and there's little me, a teeny bopper highschooler...! But it helped to know at least what would happen throughout the day :) And I'm willing to go to as many interviews as I gotta, since most (if not, ALL) other FA have pretty much gone to like, half a dozen til they finally got a break!! :)
From what I gather Sylphie, Jet* are known to be a bit slow in replying, isn't that right? Did they give a time frame when they'd get back to ya on the recruitment day? Coz VB kept on emphasising the 2wk period wait ;)
xox toodles!!:ok:

Sylphie
14th Jul 2006, 03:15
Thanks ladies :O

Yep, Jetstar said two weeks. But having only had VB experience I was assuming [and worrying] that they would have contacted referees pretty soon afterward like the Virgin Blue people did, because I got my rejection from Virgin Blue within days. Jetstar said to us that the referees will be contacted 'shortly' after the asessment centre and to advise or referees of this. 8 days now.. I really hope they contact them. I really want to attend a second interview!

Anyway.. I should relax.. It's only been 8 days.. still just under a week to go. Hopefully they have some good news soon.

seektofly
14th Jul 2006, 10:54
Hey Hostee,

WELL DONE - They called your referrees!!! WOO HOO - We'll be pushing the trolley together soon enough. Keep us posted - next stop for you is the medical!!!! YAAAAAYYYY!!!!!!!:D

Iulia, if you learn something from this forum is to keep applying for those airlines as one day, it will happen!!! And you are not a teenybopper highschooler! In my last airline job, I flew with one girl who had just turned 19. From your pm's you sound loads more mature than her! :p

Hope everyone else is keeping their chins up. We will all be fabulous flighties soon enough. Just believe in yourselves and your abilities!:}

Yours truly

Y'all know who this is!:zzz:

Iulia
15th Jul 2006, 05:50
Guys... LOL... I've been invited to a Jet* recruitment day, this Thursday the 20th of July... I'm laughing like crazy because this would be my third interview in less then a month, and what are the chances of getting in... but my heart keeps fluttering and I keep replying with 'yes, I'll be there, count me in' lol am waiting to hear a reply of when and where. My REX interview is on the Wed, and my Jet* would be on the very next day, Thursday...!

Iulia
15th Jul 2006, 06:39
Sorry, I should have mentioned, its for Domestic :)

flygirlmelb
15th Jul 2006, 07:46
Hi There. I'm a melb based CS for VB. Going on 3.5 years with the company. Haven't posted on here before, but saw that you got in to VB and wanted to say well done. I still remember getting that call all those years ago. Just wanted to let you know that after 3.5 years i still love it. Yes it is hard work sometimes (but isn't everything worthwhile hard work) the pro's outway the con's ten fold. Best of luck with training, get everything you can out of the expereince and i guess i will be your CS oneday out online.
Take Care

Iulia
15th Jul 2006, 08:56
Thats real nice flygirlmelb ;) VB sounds awesome, thats why we all want in!

seektofly
15th Jul 2006, 10:24
Thanks flygirlMelb, I appreciate your support!:ok: I am just so over the moon. The process was much nicer than say Qantas or MAM. The whole process was just so quick and painless! ;) I look forward to flying with you one day soon. I hope training is as much fun as I think it is going to be. I am sure that working for V.B. will be fun, exciting as well as rewarding and challenging. I am up for a good challenge! It is soooo good to hear that people have been there for like 3.5 years now and it makes me see that I am going to love it there.:)

Iulia, good luck for Wednesday and now Thursday. I will be thinking of you and keeping my fingers and toes crossed for you - KNOCK EM' DEAD!!:}

Training starts in 2 weeks and 2 days. :ooh: OMG - There's waxing and nails to get done! Not to mention checking out the wardrobe to see what to wear on the first day of training!

Y'all have a great rest of the weekend now!

Me.:ok:

wannabeVB
16th Jul 2006, 09:42
Hi people :)
It's good to see that everyone is still posting their progresses and support for eachother.
Congratulations Iulia, 2 recruitment days following eachother, by the end of that week u'll be an old pro with the whole process and I'm sure you'll get one of the jobs sooner than you realise.
Thankyou so much flygirlmelb for your kind words, its hearing things like that from all of the VB people that makes the whole starting a new job thing, so much less daunting! I can't wait to be in the skies with you all soon :ok: :ok: :ok:
Good luck Hostee with the references, soon you'll be telling us all that you got the phone call for the medical!
Training starts 2 weeks from tommorrow, (still in shock that I am actually going to the training!!) and I have my uniform fitting this wednesday!! Soooo much to do soooo little time, but I wouldn't change it all for the world.
Once again, goodluck people's with your recruitment days and soon to be medicals, keep us all posted.

eagle01
17th Jul 2006, 02:31
Hello Everyone

I have a interview in Perth this week!:)

Hope I do well.

Eagle

Lil Salty86
17th Jul 2006, 02:40
Hey,
Congrats on the Perth interview!:D Im sure you'll do heaps good

Best of luck though

**Kylie**

Sylphie
17th Jul 2006, 04:36
Good luck all! :ok:

seektofly
17th Jul 2006, 13:45
Hey guys!;)

I just was reading through the past few posts and I wanted to say what a great thread this VB recruitment thread really is. I am impressed! :ok:

Iulia, if I don't get a chance to chat to you before Wednesday morning, GOOD LUCK for your interview - you will have to let me know how it goes! I am counting on you girl - Knock em dead!!! :E And while we're at it... GOOD LUCK for your interview on Thursday too! You WILL be a professional interviewee by the end of the week :ok: .

Eagle01, Perth? I don't know where you are originating from ... but ... have a safe trip to the other side of the country (if you are from the east coast... ;) ) - I don't know what the interview is for, but all the best of luck for it. I think that you deserve to get it simply for the fact that you are prepared to travel that distance... I think anyone on pprune who is taking time to find out about airlines and interviews etc.. etc.. deserve to get into the job of their dreams.

To everyone else who is either starting training (with yours truly next Monday 31st July) or to those who are preparing to go to interviews - no matter with whom.. (but especially Jetstar who are arrogant enough to make you pay for everything.. from the psych test through to the actual interview... - its like they feel that they are so important, that they have to charge for the privelige of them interviewing us! :yuk: )
I just want to wish you all the best of luck. Believe in yourselves, and luck just follow. :p

Keep me posted!

Do I need to even put my name here??? :}

Iulia
17th Jul 2006, 13:52
LOL STF ;) we know its youuuuuuuu!

Oooomgsh my heart goes out to peeps each time I hear of a rejection... this is torture, I'm beginning to wonder whether its worth the pain/stress in my life atm. I'm so desperate/dedicated/needy/yearning for any job as a FA atm, its driving me up the walls! I even dream about it at night!! Scrap that, they're not dreams, they're nightmares! Coz 'dreams' are pleasant things to have...

arghhh!:sad:

Sylphie
18th Jul 2006, 01:17
Aw. I dreamt about being rejected and THEN it happened. Coincidence? Lol. I think I was too nervy. I wrote about it in the Jetstar thread. I've applied for International even though i don't really want it. But a job's a job. Will make sure I have all my applications for the rest in this week and then I'm just going to sit back and wait and get on with other things. It will happen! :hmm:

I am going to do something different whilst I'm still waiting, I need a change of atmosphere. It's not heaslthy for me anymore. I know some will say I should be sticking it out but it's been nearly four years at the one place and it's not getting me anywhere financially or skill wise apart from customer service..

Iulia
18th Jul 2006, 01:36
I'm getting pretty peeved off now with Jetstar.. they still haven't confirmed the place and the whole money order deal with me! In their original email, they just said to confirm my interest, and I assumed this meant to write back that yes, indeed, I'm still interested... but still no reply! I've sent it like four times now! Its meant to be this Thursday, what am I meant to do..?!:mad:

Iulia
18th Jul 2006, 07:07
The most dishonest airline I've ever heard of...!
I recieved an email last Friday afternoon for an invitation to the upcoming Thursday 20th recruitment day. Eagerly, I replied that yes, I could make it, and to either session, the 0900 or 1300 not a problem.
... And so there I was, eagerly waiting until Monday, thinking perhaps the office dosesn't work on weekends, and surely by Monday evening I'd recieve a reply! Buy NO... I didn't! And so, I replied again, and again, today too! I replied a total of 6 times, a few hours in between... finally, I come back inside the house after having vacd my car, and I happily login to my email... only to find a 'generic' (I assume) reply that is the most stupidest in generic replies!!! well, that I've ever read anyway...
Here it is:

Hello,
Thank you for your _expression of interest in the Cabin Crew Selection Process this Thursday 12th July. Unfortunatley due to the overwhelming response to this session and only limited places available you have missed out this time.
Please keep your details up to date on our website for your best chance at being selected for a assessment centre in the future.
Many thanks for your keen interest.
Jetstar Cabin Crew Recruitment

Okai.... let me point out the wrong bits... firstly, I did NOT specify ANY session in particular, I said I was open to attend ANY. But Noooo, they said that there was an 'overwhelming response to this session' and due to the limited place available, I have missed out!!
Second wrong bit... selection process, on 12th July? Why... HELLO! Today is the 18th... I do believe 12th has passed..!
And thirdly, they have NOT even mentioned whether its for Domestic or International, and I have applied for BOTH! So how am I to know for sure what on earth they're on about? Though fortunately for me, they did specify it was for Domestic in their first email, so I'm assuming thats what its for still.

So fustrated!!:ugh:

I feel like telling them that their half-hearted thanks don't go that far when it comes outta their rear ends!

:{

PS- I've previously posted this in the Jetstar thread that Sylphie started, but I thought I should also post it here as there are some peeps out there following 'my life' lol xoxox its okai I'm fine, I'm over them! :p

zoom-zoom
18th Jul 2006, 08:12
hey there

i too received an email last friday from jetstar, but i declined as i cannot make this thursday, therefore i wrote back and said NO! I also do not want to work out of Avalon Airport. (as home base) I even wrote this in my original application???

Jetstar have obviously made a mistake, just reply back with a quick message advising the date error? good luck and please keep us posted.

zoom-zoom

Iulia
18th Jul 2006, 08:37
Yes, I did reply back about the date error... they've really got things mixed up in their recruitment process! I'd hate it if they were this clumsy when it came to calling people to advise whether they've progressed to the medical stage or not... imagine if they had you in mind, but they confused you with someone else?! Have peeved would ya be then!
Ah well, I'm over it! :ouch:

seektofly
18th Jul 2006, 09:34
Hey Iulia,

I'm so sorry about what Jetstar did to you! That stinks! :mad: But for some reason it didn't surprise me at all. Jetstar... bad attitudes, bad ethical standards(ie making people pay for their own interviews...), bad recruitment :bored: . I hope you will be able to fix up the interview time though, and secure a place for Thursday as you had intended to. Good luck for Rex tomorrow hun :) - I am sure you will do great. Actually, better than great.:p Go show them what you're made of.

STF

Iulia
18th Jul 2006, 12:28
Okai Munchkins, I'm off to Zzzzz (if I can!) coz tomorrow is my REX interview :) xxoxx wish me luuuuuck!:sad:

Iulia
19th Jul 2006, 05:18
Hello people, I've just arrived home from my REX recruitment day :) I'm pleased to say, I passed the first stage, and went on to stage 2 just after lunch.
All togther there were meant to be about 11 of us, but only 7 turned up.
There were two slightly older ladies recruiting, one that seemed real nice named Linda, and the other named Donna who kind of sent me 'bad vibes' ;) But all in all, it was a good day, and the fact that there was only 11 of us meant the first stage was completed in exactly one hour and five minutes :) We had to do this quiz about the company (very easy if you read their website info) and go around the room saying a bit about ourselves, and also a group activity (done in pairs, except there was one group of 3) about having an endless budget, two kids aged 3yrs and 5yrs and where would you fly with REX? I and the other girl I did the activity with, said we'd go to Tassie, Burnie (coz thats the only flight REX does to Tas) and that we'd hire a car, go chocolate factory, wine sampling, have a picnic, tour of a farm, and then fly back to Melb (coz the trip was from 9am-9pm).
After this we filled in a form with our mobil number, and were told we'd be contacted within half an hour whether to return or not. In this time, the whole group walked over to maccas across the road, and stupid me got on the phone to my bf to tell him about my day so far (as was pretty much everyone else) and I missed the first call!!!! It was a private number, so I knew it was them! Then this other girl got a call, it was so funny, she walked out of maccas to talk, then came back in, thumbs up she got it, then another girls mobil rang, walked out, came back in, got it... and so on. Then at the end, my mobil rings again, and it so happened that I would have the first interview at 1.30pm, and everyone else after that every 15mins.
There happened to be this real nice guy down from Qld trying out for FA too, and he had stayed at the hotel, so he had a room, and I joked about going up there to waste some time, and so we all did and it was pretty good, the room was nice, great view, it was the top floor.
I then went downstairs to my interview about an hour later, and he had to check out of his room anyway (is flying back tonight). As I was sitting outside the meeting room, waiting to be called, I could hear the conversation of the two recruiters, and the blonde one (thatthe one I like) was saying 'she's been through so much, very mature' and then the other one commented on me still being young in age. It was a bit hard to hear, coz there were cleaner ladies in the rooms near me making a lot of noise, but it was definately about me, coz then one of them goes 'she could be outside waiting already' and sure enough, the blonde nice one comes out and called me in :) classic... there I am, looking around the walls, pretending not to have heard a thing!
LOL funny, I had a good time! I'm meant to recieve a yes or no letter in the post within the next week...
as per usual.... well, these days anyway... fingers crossed!!!:ok:

exmax
19th Jul 2006, 06:31
I'm keeping my fingers x'd for you Iulia, sounds like it all went really quickly. I'd like to thank you for your post, just what I wanted to read in terms of the interview format.

Rex called me for an interview next week, I'm not yet a permanant resident (almost there though) and I was truthful on staffcv by adding in this fact, they still called me anyway. I can't help wondering why on their website too that applications close on New Years Eve, wonder how many staff they're looking for:ooh:

Good luck and to all going through interviews etc.

Lil Salty86
19th Jul 2006, 06:56
Hey Iulia,
I've been reading this thread since the beginning and it sure sounds like your meant to be an FA. U never give up and thats awesome.
Screw Jetstar anyway, if they're going to mess you around like that ... shame on them.
Good Luck with REX, my friends sis works for them (based in Syd) and she absolutely loves it.

Besh Wishes
**kylie**

Hostee
19th Jul 2006, 07:40
Iulia.... i'm keeping my fingers crossed for you too hun!!

hmm.... its been exactly 14 days since my VRD.... and its now 535pm in Oz.
And i have heard nothing from Virgin??!?? All i know is that they contacted both my referees last week... but thats it so far.... no emails or phone calls.

Whats that saying... no news is good news???

Iulia
19th Jul 2006, 07:43
Awww thanks guys! Yeh they said in the interview that REX is like a 'family' and I understand what they mean by that, because they're a small company and have only about 160 employees they said, and they're looking to expand because they also want to expand their flights. They told us that in the first year, they lost $30million, but have since recovered and made huge profits, so they're certainly a growing company, and in need of more peeps :) us!!
exmax, if you want to know anything else about the day, be it something I left out etc just PM me and I'll be glad to help. On pprune, there wasn't a thread about REX, and I didn't start one LOL seeing as this one is my lil baby project hehe. I wonder if I can change the topic to be something more general?
The day was definately fun, and swift. The first stage was over in just about an hour, and we all went across the road to maccas and chatted, then upstairs to this guys hotel room and chatted even more. I hope I get to meet these people again, they were real nice, and amongst us there was a range of ages/personalities/interests.
And I agree, Jetstar can go jump..! I really should go out and splurge $89 on myself, since I don't need to for tomorrow :D
For now, it'll being another game of waiting... for the postie... oh how I dread going out to the postbox this coming week!:*

seektofly
19th Jul 2006, 09:38
Hey Iulia and Hostee (and to those who are reading the thread...)

Jules, sounds like you will be flying any week now!!!:ok: It sounds like you had a great day! I believe that they will call you rather than write to you if you are to be successful -- so keep your phone on!!! :}

Hostee, just make sure that DJ can contact you where you are! Did you give them your mobile number? Is it contactable?:confused: Maybe if you haven't heard from them in a week, then maybe give them a call. I heard from them (when they told me to go to the medical) 13 days after my VBRD. So I guess if you haven't heard from them soon, perhaps give them a call and see what is going on! :ok: You never know - maybe they have been desperately trying to call you.

Anyway, Iulia keep us all posted as to any phone calls or letters you may receive from REX. My fingers are really crossed for you hun :) .

STF:p

Iulia
19th Jul 2006, 22:06
Hahaha they sent me back this email:

Very sorry Julia, there was a typo on the email sent out. Unfortunatley numbers were limited and you missed out this time. Please keep your details up to date on our website to secure your best chance at being invited to another assessment centre.

Kind Regards,

Jetstar Cabin Crew Recruitment

... its like, whatever!:rolleyes:

Hostee
20th Jul 2006, 00:37
STF: Yep.... DJ has all my contact details!
4 phone numbers in fact - 2 Dubai numbers (1 has answer machine), my roaming Aussie mobile (with voicemail) and even my mum's number! I said to my interviewer if DJ can't reach me directly, Mum can surely track me down somewhere in the world! And of course my good old email address.

Back to playing everybody's favourite game..The Waiting Game :ugh:

wannabeVB
20th Jul 2006, 11:17
Hey Iulia, sounds like you made an excellent impression on REX and I'm sure you'll be high in the skies soon enough.
I'm sorry to hear about Jetstar though, that is terrible the way that they treated you, hopefully you'll get the job with REX and the next time Jetstar email you, you can tell them where to stick their recruitment day!!
Goodluck with it all, and good luck Hostee, with VB no news is definatley good news, they kept me waiting for a while as well.

Airconn
20th Jul 2006, 23:55
Hi there!
Hostee, do not stress about virgin not having rung you yet. i have just landed a place in an august ground school and i had heard nothing for weeks. i had my initial VBRD on the 31st of May, where i informed the recruiter that i would need 4 weeks notice to leave my current employer. Two weeks after my VBRD i got an email saying that they were still processing my application. then about four days after that my references were contacted, then about another week and a half before i got the call for my medical.

So depending on how much notice you told them you need, they may be holding back to maybe put you through to a later ground school, to allow you enough notice to where you work now.

Anywho hope this helps you out!
Good luck and i hope you hear soon :ok:
Airconn

Sylphie
21st Jul 2006, 03:18
<-- Wonders who Airconn was on the day :O

Congrats on getting through Airconn, I wonder if we spoke on the day! [we were at the same VBRD]

Sylphie
21st Jul 2006, 10:01
On their site it says in the Essential Selection Criteria, that you 'must' have a minimum of three years F-T customer service experience.. did you address this with them? Is it a case of having everything else but only 3 or so years P-T experience? :uhoh:

Shall we make a REX thread or is it not worth it? :8

-- Sylph

DJ_Fly_Boi
21st Jul 2006, 10:35
Hi All

The final intake for 2006 for Dj Cabin Crew is September - has anyone been accepted yet?

Iulia
22nd Jul 2006, 01:22
hehehe ur a funny one Sylph, nah I rekon just keep this thread going, too much of a hassled to start a REX one, and quite frankly, there's not much to a REx interview! Its so much easier, and nicer... I wished my VB day had been like at REX. It felt more personal this last intertview, and I guess its much to do with the fact that we were in a tiny meeting room, about 5m X 3m and just at the one round table and only 7 of us trying out (though there were meant to be 11, but thats all that came to the day).
I too noticed the 3yrs fulltime thingy ma bob, but I still applied, because I figured if its that 'essential' then they wont even call me for an interview! But yes, they did call, and yes, eventhough I techinically don't have my VCE/HSC, they still progressed me to stage two. There was this other lady there who nwas a yr10 dropout from England, and she still progressed also!
I say Sylph, just apply. Worst case, they wont call you for an interview! But, they called me, of all people, so there's still hope for everyone else, surely!
Also DJTibby, you should give it a go! I remember you exclaimed 'wow' when yuo heard REX called, and you asked how do I have 3yrs fulltime experience? And I said I don't...
I ask y'all this now... how can anyone at age 18 have 3yrs fulltime experience in customer service, and their VCE/HSC?
It doesn't work out!
Coz to have 3yrs fulltime customer service experience, the person would have had to have been working fulltime since age 15yrs (which would mean they'd have to have dropped out of school!) So their 'essential requirements' contradict themselves! LOL
Also, another thing, if you do a search on careerone.com for flight attendant positions, you will notice REX often advertises for Adelaide positions, and mention nothing about 3yrs fulltime experience, however, they do mention high school.
So it seems, even with REX, there are a few inconsistencies, having said this, I still have a higher opinion of REX, in comparison to other airlines :D
PS- I have been with the library since I was 15yrs, but thats only casual.

followyourdreams
22nd Jul 2006, 02:14
Hi everyone, I stumbled across this website at work yesterday and am so grateful I did as I have an interview for a cc in Melbourne on July 27th and would love as much info I can before Thursday in order to try and pass the day with flying colours.

Hey thanks for your pm Iulia - and yes you guessed correctly I am a girl. I have just cpoied across my thread from the one I had made as it looks like there are heaps of people on this link that can help me prepare for my interview with VB on Thursday...

Iulia? With the pet role play. Is it just you and someone else or are there are few people involved with that? Also the naming of the pets you would buy from a pet store. Is that soemthing you write down or do you get up and explain your answers to everyone. Am so nervous but so desperatley want this.

Anyone here is what I posted before...

Can anyone please let me know what type of questions they will be asking and a brief rundown on the day so I can try and do a bit of research and study before the day- in order to increase my chances.

As cliche as this sounds - my dream or one of them is to become a hosty and would love more than anything for this to come true. I'm 26 years old and have been working in the advertising industry (in media) for the last three years. I have years and years of customer service experience due to working at McDonalds throughout high school and in restaurants and bars throughout the 5 years I spent at uni. This experience combined with my bubbly and outgoing personality, aswell as being a hard work and a high achiever makes me pretty positive that I am capable of being a fantastic hosty. But... there are so many people that also think the same thing so what does it come down to at the interview? Do you have to confidant but no overbearing? Do they like someone that is loud but not over the top? Should you voice your opinions or only speak when asked? I can adapt to any situation but want to know how to approach the day

This is what I think the questions would possibly be - so please tell me if I am on the right track or not:

Tell me how you work in a team?
What are your strengths and weaknesses?
Tell me a time you have been in a difficult situation and how did you handle it?
What have been your acreer accomplishments?
Why do you want to work for Virgin Blue?

Are these kind of what they will ask?

I am very confidant but when I get to interview situations I turn to mush and cannot be myself. If I practise to myself I am fine but once eyes are on me I'm not so good?

Are any of the interviews one one one? Or are there a few of them that sit there and take notes?

Also, lets just say I get through the day and am asked to take the medical test- I have a small tattoo on my foot? Will I pass through or should I hide it?
I also have asthma but it isn't bad. Will this work against me?

I have so many questions as you can see, but its only becasue I desperatley want to be given a chance and know I have what it takes

Gloria
22nd Jul 2006, 03:57
Hello to all,does anyone know how many training schools are going through and if anymore are likely after the August school. Just curious if the VRD on the 27 Jul is to fill August school or for another school say in Sept. etc.

eagle01
22nd Jul 2006, 07:53
How was your REX interview?

Iulia
22nd Jul 2006, 08:01
haha hey eagle1 ;) read above a bit, you'll see that my REX interview was pretty alright and fun!

better yet, click your 'view first unread post' underlined in blue, and it'll take you to wherever it is that you last left off reading so you don't always gotta scroll to it.

eagle01
22nd Jul 2006, 08:11
Thanks for the tip!

seektofly
22nd Jul 2006, 15:45
;) Hi guys...

2 things.

1. I went for my uniform fitting on Thursday morning. It was er.. an experience. :uhoh: The uniform fitting place is up on the same level as the crew room at Melbourne airport. I walked in, and saw some crew walking out as a group. They all looked stunning in their uniforms and red overcoats! I felt positively out of place with my charcoal grey winter coat. They tell you to wear minimal makeup and no perfume to go to the fitting (obvious reasons) so I felt a bit out of place sitting there waiting for the uniform people to get there - (I was about 5 minutes too early).
The uniform place is quite like a shop. There are 2 fitting rooms and a counter where you can buy shoes or other things. I tried on the dress, and it looked like a sack on me! :hmm: - you know, the classic small waist and bigger hips - so the dress fit me over the hips, but I had a ridiculous amount of room around the waist! So I tried on the pants and let me give you a tip. If you naturally have hips, never go for pants with side pockets because you will end up with hips + bulk that you don't need! :ooh: So I ended up going for the skirt. I also ordered my shoes, and I tried on the red overcoat - for a complete look and it was amazing. I was playing dress ups!!!!:p The white/creamy summer trench coat is beautiful.
I must admit though, if you are normally a size 10 in clothes you will be a size 14 in the uniform. The sizes are shocking! I am normally a 14-16 and I was getting my uniform in the size 16-18! I am not impressed.:{ The girl next to me was saying how she is normally a 10 and here she is wearing a size 14 pant. ANYWAY... Moving right along...
Training in 9 sleeps! YAY!!

2. Hostee, any news yet?? :confused: I have been keeping my eye on this thread for your exciting news..I am keeping my fingers crossed that you will come back yelling and screaming how excited you are because you will be starting training school in August or something like that!

Iulia, I trust you are well. Everyone else, I hope all is well. To all of those with an interview on Thursday, PM me if you would like some feedback or advice. I will be more than happy to help ;) .

Take care Y'all :ok:

Your soon to be hostie with the mostie.

STF :O
PS: I know at the beginning of the post I wrote "2 things", but I got a bit carried away. You all know how I can talk... and talk and talk and talk!!!

Ciao :E

Lil Salty86
24th Jul 2006, 02:19
I just wanted to wish everyone who is going to the July 27 VBRD GOOD LUCK:ok: and as my friends keep telling me ... it doesnt matter how far you get because think of all the people who have applied and we all got an interview:D .

I look forward to meeting you all but until then keep safe and get plently of rest.

**Kylie**

Iulia
24th Jul 2006, 04:07
That's right Kylie! And the fact that we have done something beforehand, the Senior First Aid and the Responsible Service of Alcohol certificates, as well as renewing passports etc thats another example of our determination ;) My careers coordinator was wow-ed at how much I knew about the process, and the effort I made in summer to do my RSA (though, it didn't take long, but still, back then I didn't drive and didn't have a car, so I was very dependant on lifts... actually, my mum drove me to Monash that night, at my bf picked me up afterwards so yeh) and the fact that I spent two weekends cooped up in a room for my Senior First Aid along with a handful of other people (all for various different reasons). So clap :D clap to all who have had the privilege to be invited, to any form of recruitment day :)

I'm also posting just to say :yuk: no news yet! arghhh... I've checked the postbox, and the posty has come and gone, got other letters, but none from REX... perhaps tomorrow? Another restless night.. :zzz:

exmax
24th Jul 2006, 04:36
Hang in there Iulia, I'm sure you'll make it and good luck!! I have to wait before I can reapply to REX because of my visa status, had that confirmed but they're interested in my application which is great:)

smile
24th Jul 2006, 06:16
Seek to fly,

Don't be too stressed about the uniform sizes. They are terrible. I started a size 12 am now a size 14 in the bottoms. Not good for the ego- however at home I am a 10-12.

The dress is terrible!! It only suits a handful of crew, and unfortunatly those of us with curves will always look like we are wearing a potato sack.

If you would like to wear the pants part of the uniform I can recommend getting the pockets taken out and sewn up. Quite a few crew have had that done. It also stops you putting your hands into your pockets, which is a grooming "no-no". However as the material is quite thin make sure you get a pair that are loose, and don't wear lacy knickers underneath. Not a pretty look!

Anyway best of luck with your training.

If you need any help feel free to PM me

love SMILE

wannabeVB
24th Jul 2006, 06:31
STF thankgod you wrote the post that you did, because since my uniform fitting last wednesday I have not been able to stop thinking about the sizes. I am usually a 10-12 but when I went for my fitting those size just went out the window! All my clothes sizes are all over the place and because of my child bearing hips I have a 16 skirt!:mad: And yes I know size doesn't matter, but it doesn't do much for the confidence does it!!
I just keep thinking that maybe when I have my hair done and I'm actually wearing make-up I will look much much better.
So to make myself feel better I got the higher shoes that aren't too comfortable but look good, (I know that I'm going to regret that!!) but I don't care. Yet.
And I'm going to get some serious alterations done to my dress because yes it looks like a potato sack!
But at the end of the day I would wear a real potato sack if they wanted me to :p

omo
24th Jul 2006, 07:53
Firstly, a big hello to all. I've been invited to attend a VRD in Melbourne and am very thankful to those that have taken the time to share their previous experiences and tips in this thread. It goes a long way in helping settle the overwhelming nervousness while counting down the days!

From what I've read so far, it looks as if I'll be one of about 15 males there and I'm not entirely sure if that will help settle my nerves on the day or make them worse :\ I'm really curious about the role play and the kind of situations they put you in. The only one I've read about was the one where you have to advise a dissatisfied passenger about not being able to take her pooch on board. Does anyone else have any they might like to share?? Any tips about the day would be much appreciated and to all those who are attending.. best of luck! :ok:

Iulia
24th Jul 2006, 08:24
Heya omo and best of luck with you VBRD!!! At my one, back in June, there were actually only 3 guys... and a total of about 31ppl present:}
I think they use the same scenario, its an old one and I've heard its been around a while, so don't worry. All you have to do in the role play is try and calm the passenger and get her to cooperate, so there's no 'lines' you have to follow, its like you acting the way you would normally with a disgruntled customer. Relax, it'll be fine :8 YOU'll be fine!
Hehehehe wannabeVB about the alterations, I'd do the same too! LOL I didn't really like the way the dress looked anyway, and the boat neck... eek! But, if thats the uniform who cares, so long as your in!! :D
hahaha take care, and I'll post again tomorrow regardless of whether I recieve a letter in the post or not...

DJ_Fly_Boi
24th Jul 2006, 09:07
Hello!

I know the uniform is a bit daggy/saggy/baggy on some people - at least the females get some kind of choice.

I wouldnt recommend getting too many alterations done - as this is strictly against grooming regulations.

We are currently trialling some new shoes and lined pants for both male and female crew members.

Just my 2 cents worth!

DJ :)