PDA

View Full Version : Dell Dimension 5150

stillin1
10th Jun 2006, 12:26
Question experts: Does anyone have any recommendations on the Dimension 5150? I am having to buy a new desk top and the Dimension 5150 looks pretty good at first sight.

Conan the Librarian
10th Jun 2006, 14:05
I installed one of these for a friend a few weeks ago. the Dell Psy Ops dept keep seeming to fiddle the price in various adverts by changing components and if you buy over the phone, prepare for something approaching an Indian hard sell. (Make a note of desired spec before Rajish gets your arm behind your back)

In operation, it looks ok, but did give a bit of a headache with McAfee on this particular machine. The sensible upgrades to look at might be memory, hard drive, video card if gaming (the default was onboard I think) and the 19 inch monitor which looks quite reasonable. It also came with a TV card and remote control bundled, but we left that in the box. All in all, it isn't bad in my estimation, apart from the delightful Media Center OS.

Conan

stillin1
10th Jun 2006, 15:26
Thanks Conan, I'd guessed that I had better have my mind made up re specs required pre the call to the subcontinent!!!!!!!! sounds pretty promising so far

frostbite
10th Jun 2006, 16:48
Why not order online?

You are still presented with all the variables, possibly including some you'd not realised were options.

Conan the Librarian
10th Jun 2006, 22:13
The advert in the Times today, shows a different beast from the one I specced. Seems pretty well sorted in standard form it appears, but I would go for that 19 inch monitor.

Conan

transmitforDF
10th Jun 2006, 22:14
im typing this on one now they're brilliant

Tired Old Man
10th Jun 2006, 22:54
Been using the Dell 5150 with 19" flat screen since Nov 05, no problems at all, and its fast enough for me with more than enough specs.
Some people dont like Dells but I bought the 5150 along with the inspiron laptop 2200 in a package deal.
Both have been troublefree since purchase.
Hope this info helps

Buster Cherry
11th Jun 2006, 05:52
Bought a Dimension 9150 as my 2nd media pc in the lounge which I have networked to a self-built monster & laptop. All depends on what you want out of the machine but this model works very well indeed & no issues with the network or high-end performance.The 7.1 surround is brilliant & graphics are very good too(hooked upto 36" digital tv). whichever you choose, I advise the same as Conan as far as upgrades go. Take the memory upgrade when you buy the machine as later on, it can get a little expensive.

stillin1
11th Jun 2006, 15:36
Thanks one and all - that's the dell for me then + memory upgrade and the big screen:ok: