PDA

View Full Version : Extension plans for Cape Town International

samueldethierry
10th Jun 2006, 10:23
ACSA Cape Town International is a quickly growing airport, with more airlines wishing to fly there. Cape Town's ground section for aircraft (tarmac), i think, in about 3-4 years time, wlll clearly not meet the demand of the industry. Do Cape Town have any plans for expansion?

DawnTreader
11th Jun 2006, 02:21
I haven't heard of any plans. As with most things, the ANC government hasn't a clue about forward planning or the basics of maintenance for that matter. ACSA (the airports company) have built a new parking enclosure with accompanying higher fees. Immigration at FACT is not coping at the moment and seems to think that 2 officials can service several plane-loads of passengers all on their own!:confused: The runway surface has been repaired and ACSA claims it is up to standard .... now when's that fully laden A380 coming so we can test it?:E

GULF69
12th Jun 2006, 09:35
Yes there is quite a lot on the go at the moment. Can’t disclose too much, but in essence CPT INTL is going to be re-configured similarly to JNB. Arrivals will be on the ground floor, departures will be one level up (there will be a fly-over bridge (starting at the robot by the BP) that you will drive up to drop passengers on the 2nd floor). I think the building will be 4 storey's high. They should start construction of the 2nd multi story parkade at INTL arrival/departures in a month of 2. The area in between Intl arrivals and Domestic Departures will be the "central processing unit" - one entrance for both intl and domestic arrivals and departures, meaning that the domestic and intl terminals will be linked. Lots more places for shops etc. Parking stands airside will also be re-configured and additional parking stands for aircraft up to size A380 will be made available.

All & All ACSA is jacking CPT INTL up big time, and it should be an amazing site when they are finished! Traffic will be chaos until then though…

samueldethierry
12th Jun 2006, 20:53
Thanks for the info! Gulf 69, do you know when they are starting work on the main interntional terminal or if they have an estimated aim date for complete completion of the airport.

Thanks for all the Info guys, greatly appreciated and really helpful!

GULF69
13th Jun 2006, 07:09
i'm not to sure when they will commence work on the main terminals, but i understand it will be after the intl multi storey carpark is completed. The project is due to be completed sometime 2009