PDA

View Full Version : Airspace Architecture and associated - an alternative view

Scurvy.D.Dog
9th Jun 2006, 12:25
Folks,
Have a gander at the frame work below, it is the best fit I can come up with that accomodates most peoples wishes as expressed in this place. It looks complex in text form, it really is not when you see it in practical plan form, it is as simple as I can see it being done whilst retaining the sort of safety and flexibility people are looking for!
I have melded it into current ICAO classifications, it can accomodate CTA/OCTA if that is what we revert to in the future.
Could someone convert it into one of those 'airspace at a glace diagrams' for me as I am not that clever. Once in pictorial form it will look much simpler!.
As follows:-
Airspace Architecture:-
.. the 'bracketted letter' following the class indicates:-
- (S) Surveillance, and
- (P) Procedural non-surveillance
.. where no bracketted letter exists, the airspace maybe either
A - FL290 up to FL550 note: Class F above FL550 is provided by the underlying A
B - FL285 and below - associated with ALL Primary Capital City Tower/Approach airspaces
C – Above A100 - excluding A and Primary Capital City B
D – A100 and below - associated with Regional Approach/Tower airspaces Approach services provided by the associated tower. Efficiency improvements could be realised through reduction of ATS coordination and traffic management i.e. visual procedures, and direct planning and operation of terminal op’s to well above approach departures MSALT’s meaning less ‘Centre’ complexity rating and knowledge requirements
E (S) above A050 - below C - around B, D - Surveillance exists (area frequencies, VFR required to monitor)
AFIZ F A050 and below - 15nm radius - inbound frequency call at 25nm for arrivals - where Regional Aerodrome/s do not meet D criteria servicing non-jet RPT and/or Annual movements above 10,000 (or as agreed by the regulator and industry)
Locally positioned class F operator providing CA/GRS including visual met, aerodrome operations oversight, terminal area and circuit traffic information. May include the associated surrounding F area if traffic data and workload assessments indicate frequency loading etc at acceptable rates
Where Surveillance coverage exist the Local AFIZ F (S) operator will have access to Surveillance data for the provision of Class AFIZ F services
F (P) above A050 - below C and E (S) - around D - above AFIZ F – where Surveillance does not exist (area frequencies, VFR required to monitor)
G A050 and below - where B, C, D and AFIZ F do not exist (VFR and IFR monitor the overlying associated ATS frequency)
CTAF (G) A050 and below - Initial Inbound and proximity Broadcast/monitor requirement is ETA minus 10 minutes (overlaping CTAF areas operate on the same frequency unless impractical, dimensions may vary depending on proximity of other classes of airspace).
Mapping
VEC and TAC charts combined into one based on WAC Type topography and LSALT blocks with ERC and TAC information and boundaries overlaid. Scale to capture Terminal and surrounds without unreasonable clutter.
B, C, D and AFIZ F to have associated combined Mapping chart
Charging and Funding
ATS is free for VFR in B, C, D (transit), E (area), F (area) and AFIZ (G) classes of airspace!
ATS landing charges apply to VFR at destination aerodromes with B, C, D and AFIZ (F) classes of airspace
IFR Charges apply to A, B, C, D, E (S) and AFIZ F
Location charges are recovered by:-
- The Fed Gov’t through (heavily regulated, reported and capped) an aviation fuels levy applied at the Location Bowsers (by all fuel outlets available at the location) and paid directly to the ANSP on behalf of the Local Airport as part of their local (for airspace classifications D and AFIZ F below A050) ATS provision funding.
Additional 'established' Location funding (determined annually by the ACCC based on application by industry and airport owners) is provided by:-
- A Gap Subsidy from State and Local regional Governments to support the amenity of services for their individual communities airports
- A Gap Subsidy from Fed Gov’t to meet any gap in required funding
National IFR charges set annually by the ACCC (takes into account the Government owned National ANSP)
National ANSP mandated profit return to industry proportionally distributed back to industry based on previous years traffic data and commensurate subsidy applications.
Thoughts please??

rmcdonal
9th Jun 2006, 12:41
MBZ (G) A050 and below - 30nm radius broadcast/monitor requirement Maybe just a little far away for a smaller aircraft.

Scurvy.D.Dog
9th Jun 2006, 12:48
rmcdonal
Oops ... ment to ammend that one to CTAF :\
Have edited the above .. see what ya think :O
Cheers
Dog :ok:

rmcdonal
9th Jun 2006, 13:44
Same as before. 30 miles is a bit to far for most GA Scarymeplanes, a crash 8 maybe, but unless your a fast bird (like doing 200kts or so) 30 is a bit far. I do most my calls at around 20 (When I remember :hmm: )
I didn't even pick up on the MBZ thing :8

Scurvy.D.Dog
9th Jun 2006, 14:16
OK.
So the option for the 'lighties' would have to be 'timed to destination/proximity' call?!
Could the 'monitor requirement/distance' be pilot determined based on speedXdistance=time .. say ... ten minutes out?? ... suppose it lends relativity to the likely position of traffic 'lower and slower'? ... you'll get that 'initial' call from the slower guys when the kero-burners most need it for S.A ?!?!
Amended above in Blue