PDA

View Full Version : FAA CPL usage in Europe

HELI SMURF
9th Jun 2006, 00:51
HI ALL,
CAN ANYBODY SHED SOME LIGHT ON HOW SO MANY PILOTS SEEM TO BE OPERATING IN BOTH THE UK AND EIRE ON JUST THE FAA CPL TICKET?

BaronG
9th Jun 2006, 09:31
While you're waiting for a an answer from someone who's more closely involved, I can offer a couple of possibilities.

1) They're flying N-reg aircraft commercially.

2) They're flying as private pilots in G-reg aircraft.

3) They have authorisation from the the CAA to use the FAA licence commercially in G-reg aircraft (max. of 1 year I understand).

BG

Texasishy
9th Jun 2006, 09:44
I used to fly on my FAA ticket in the UK, but be warned, they are trying to close that loophole!!!

HELI SMURF
9th Jun 2006, 14:13
It seems to be a grey area.If there are any FAA commercially licensed pilots flying on N-reg's maybe you could let me know how you view the matter.

thecontroller
9th Jun 2006, 18:37
surely all american airline flights that land at uk airports are in this category?

BaronG
9th Jun 2006, 18:47
Is it really grey?

Flying with an FAA CPL as a PPL and getting a 12 month validation is all in LASORS - assuming LASORS isn't "grey" but that's a different problem :)

The N-Reg aircraft is potentially open to abuse - the mainstream rules are written for airliners that are passing through, but some have/are attempting to base aircraft in Europe permanently when they're N-registered.

As I understand it, in the UK you need an authorisation from the Government (Dept of Transport, Customs, Home Office - something like that) to use a foreign registered aircraft here for an extended period....

There have been other threads on that, but it's not a pilot issue, it's an operator issue.

Bg

Lunar
9th Jun 2006, 18:48
To stir the pot a little. I have both tickets but happen to know a lot of people out there are flying on FAA tickets on N reg, fair enough, but also EI/G reg while getting paid. Can we get paid for private flying? The FAR says no.

Some of us jump through all the hoops others don't bother, are the CAA/IAA interested in stopping it, no! Will the FAA check N reg aircraft outside the US very rarely.

Why bother doing it right?

Lunar.