PDA

View Full Version : South African Airways fleet renewal schedule

flare and touchdown!
8th Jun 2006, 20:46
South African Airways is currently undergoing, as lots know, a vast fleet renewal program, from a Boeing to all Airbus Fleet (A319,A342,A343,A346).
What is the progress on this. Unfortunatley for SAA, they are experiencing minor yet significant "difficulties" with a few of there exisiting Intercontinental fleet of Boeing 747-400's
(Cracked windscreens, engine surges on departure, engine failures on takeoff thrust) not huge, stuff that SAA Technical can sort out, but siginificant in terms of delays. Do not get me worng, the aircraft are safe, but it's seems to be that recently, every month or two, someting small but annoying goes wrong.

Where are they in the fleet renewal program - what is going on? When are they replacing the 8 744's they have?

Also, on a similar note, SAA seems quite relaxed about leasing their Boeing 737-800's to other airlines. (Excel airways and a few others...) - i am presuming that the few A319's they currently have are replacing them, but what is going on here? What is the schedule to renew the whole fleet of 738's?

Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks

SortieIII
9th Jun 2006, 10:50
Welcome Back Thierry. Do you work for Airbus?
:yuk:

El Peligroso
10th Jun 2006, 06:17
Not sure what the schedule is, but as soon as they've sorted it out and sold the simulators the "executive" decision will be made to go for a all new Boeing fleet again... :ugh:

flare and touchdown!
10th Jun 2006, 10:15
I don't understand Sortie 3?

saywhat
11th Jun 2006, 10:03
As far as I'm aware, a decision was made a while ago to cancel the A320 order and keep the B738's. The 319's replaced the B732's, which has run its course. Some 747-400's still remain, but are suposed to leave quite soon.

I'm not sure of the numbers of aircraft, but it seems that the fleet has reduced.

reptile
12th Jun 2006, 05:47
Welcome Back Thierry. :yuk:

He, he ,he..........:ok: :ok: :ok: :ok:

SAA201
12th Jun 2006, 17:40
SAA currently only has 6 B747-400's in its fleet. The oldest two aircraft ZS-SAV and SAW have been sold to Cathay Pacific for conversion to freighters. There is an older topic on this forum with more details...

Here: http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=216796

flare and touchdown!
12th Jun 2006, 20:57
thanks for the interesting info. But i'm still a bit confused about this theiry thing? (on a separate note)

saywhat
13th Jun 2006, 14:39
Latest rumour has it that SAA has signed for two 737-300 freighters. They apparently still need to be converted, so will only be operational in some months to come.

Torquelink
13th Jun 2006, 15:15
As anyone in SAA Technical or Marketing will tell you - they'd keep the 744s in a heartbeat and junk the A346s - serious unreliability issues with that fleet.

flare and touchdown!
13th Jun 2006, 20:25
Torque link, are you saying the A346 fleet are unreliable? This is knew to me, i'm interested, what is the problems they are having?

I was under the impression that the 747-400's had unreliability issues (not the A346's) - 747's: lots of delays what with cracked glass in the cockpit, blown cargo doors, engine surges on takeoff, engine failures on takeoff thrust.....

These are problems which have started occuring recently to the fleet.

Please enlighten me - i'm interested.

mikemal
14th Jun 2006, 01:13
As anyone in SAA Technical or Marketing will tell you - they'd keep the 744s in a heartbeat and junk the A346s - serious unreliability issues with that fleet.

Yes, TL, pray tell us about the reliability issues - really interested!

divinehover
14th Jun 2006, 07:15
There are no reliablity issues with any of the SAA a/c. The despatch rates are all in excess of 98%. One cracked windscreen 16yrs is not a problem. No one knows what SAA future fleet will look like. I don't think even Kyaya knows. Both Airbus and Boeing were recently here with proposals. As always, any longterm fleet decision will take a long time.

Torquelink
14th Jun 2006, 08:15
Not just unreliability although I believe it's currently 44 engine changes on the fleet to date, but pax preference for the 744 and difficulty in working up a three class configuration while leaving a viable number of seats on the aircaft. SAA are not, of course, alone in having these concerns about the A346. If my understanding is wrong I'm sure others will enlighten me.

flare and touchdown!
14th Jun 2006, 17:20
Well in regards to issues with complaining pax, South African Airways, only recently, decided that they had years ahead of them with the A346 and there was no point having it constantly with whaling passengers:E , so they are currently upgrading economy interiors extending legroom to 33" (from 31-32) and moving IFE boxes to ensure more space. It has made a big difference, as i have been on both squashed and newly more spacious A346. Not all the models have been changed in Economy yet, but the new ones come in since Jan 2006 have been fitted with the extra legroom, and SAA is sending, when they can, the remaing 4( i think 4) back to Toulouse to have the cabin changed directly at Airbus.

I know they are hoping this will solve the problems they've been having with their (charming!) passengers.

However, there have been problems landing the A346 into Jo'burg on a few occasions, it seems the type may not be suited for the altitude. See video, of the similar problems virgin have experienced coming into Jo'burg with their own A346 - i have been on an SAA A346 into Jo'burg - it's not fun!

http://www.flightlevel350.com/Aircraft_Airbus_A340-600-Airline_Virgin_Atlantic_Airways_Aviation_Video-5961.html

Torquelink
15th Jun 2006, 08:11
Flare

Interesting video! How many seats does the A346 have with the new pitch? And is it still two class?

Cheers

Torque

reptile
15th Jun 2006, 10:28
Serves only as proof that;

a. Virgin pilots can't land :ouch:

b. Pax don't listen to cabin announcements (i.e. switch off all electronic equipment)

flare and touchdown!
15th Jun 2006, 16:31
Don't know about the seat numbers torquelink, but it is still a two class configuration. Business class stays the same, they've just reduced the economy numbers - not by many though....

The A346 orginally with SAA took about 340 passengers (+/-)

Reptile, it's not just vigin pilots, i've experienced very similar ones on SAA a346's into Jo'burg, and they produce fantastic landings usually on other jets, better than most.