PDA

View Full Version : Eirjet

FCA787
8th Jun 2006, 19:47
Rumour has it that Eirjet is being investigated by the IAA due to crewing regulations.

They are constantly delayed over the weekends, and they are on a cash for fuel agreement.

Looks like the future ain't too bright for Eirjet!

airhumberside
8th Jun 2006, 20:13
And with Excel Airways Ireland coming along soon, that wont help future prospects

rumair999
9th Jun 2006, 11:38
Well said leave them alone !

brian_dromey
9th Jun 2006, 21:38
[QUOTE=Unionjet28]
Yes, there have been delays. But i think it's fair to say Eirjet are not the only airline in DUB that had its share of delays last weekend. Thats not trying to Justify it, no-one likes being stuck in the overcrowded mess that is DUB, but it is being addressed. [QUOTE]

UnionJet you should know that eirJet has a fine history of delays which date back to last summer, I should I spent 12 hours in Cork airport, and had anothr flight cancelled outright. Had to find my own way home, and EIR left it up to first choice reps to sort their sorry mess, both in AGP and ORK. It was an utter disgrace.:mad:and one which continues this summer.

FCA787...people in glass houses should not throw stones, were it not for First Choice this shower would have no contracts for the summer months.

ryan2000
9th Jun 2006, 22:48
Last Sunday week, Eirjet overflew Cork on an AGP/ORK/SNN flight after along delay. Similar delay last Sunday though this time they landed at Cork.
Their weekend operation at Cork/SNN is very tight.

Vapor
27th Jul 2006, 08:57
Has Eirjet got their fourth A320 yet?

Global Pilot
27th Jul 2006, 09:41
Has Eirjet got their fourth A320 yet?

Yes EI-DOZ has been flying for the past week. I think it's first revenue service for Eirjet was a charter from Cork. It arrived from Montreal into Shannon last Friday July 21 after a 5hr 20min Atlantic crossing. It is an all white livery at present.

rgds,

GP.

johnrizzo2000
27th Jul 2006, 19:16
I had noticed other airline's flying for EIR a lot? Have they scheduled too many flights for the summer, or was their a delay with a new aircraft arriving? Either way, with all those delays, I'm glad I didnt take a job with them!

shannon55
1st Oct 2006, 23:06
I heard that Eirjet applied for permission to use their A320s on T/A flights to Orlando but I haven't heard anything since...has anyone any info?:confused:

Helipolarbear
2nd Oct 2006, 21:47
Could they confuse Patrick Air Force base for Orlando International???? They can't all be lost as last years easter eggs!!!! Hope Eejit Air do well on their new Caribbean Contract. Rasta Pilots.............now there's a thought!!!!:}

Rallye EI-BFP
3rd Oct 2006, 18:13
The T/A permission thing was all about a ACMI contract with Air Jamaica when DKG went on wet lease for last winter.

The new EI-DOZ was noted outside Lufthansa painting at Shannon today. (It arrived all white a few weeks ago)

Manston Airport
4th Oct 2006, 11:14
Would EIjet ever go LCC?

James

Rallye EI-BFP
13th Oct 2006, 17:39
EI-DOZ was rolled out today in Manana airlines c/s. Who are they :confused: :confused: :confused:

Platinum206
14th Oct 2006, 05:55
It is in fact Mandala Airlines of Indonesia.

EIDOZ is going to Indonesia on a AMI (Aircraft,Maintenace,Insurance) Lease for a number of years. To be followed by another Eirjet A/C.

P206

Rallye EI-BFP
14th Oct 2006, 20:35
What are Eirjet going doing for their own flights?!

Note that the regulator shows Eirjets AOC expiring on 27th October, and they only have a temperary license at present

back to front
15th Oct 2006, 11:14
I guess that they will use their other 2 aircraft to operate the remainder of the summer season. Then it is the quiet time in the Irish charter market, so I guess they will look doing some other ACMI business. Maybe Ryanair again or Easyjet, they have been operating for EZY recently.
Looks like good news with the 2 aircraft going to Indonesia, rather than sitting around Europe when it is quiet. Don't other charter airlines send aircraft to the far eastand north america for the winter?
Their AOC is valid to 23 Dec, and the licence that you refer to is the one issued by the civil aviation regulator
My 2 cents

Yer Man
16th Oct 2006, 20:34
I beleive tomorrow will be a significant day for Eirjet.

Chidken Sangwich
17th Oct 2006, 10:22
Understand they have just ceased trading:uhoh:

Tim01
17th Oct 2006, 10:37
Understand they have just ceased trading:uhoh:

And what do you base this on???????:mad:

the goon
17th Oct 2006, 10:46
Chidken Sangwich. You understand they have ceased trading? Perhaps you could let us all know where you got the information to base this understanding on. Statements like that are incredibly damaging and if based on a rumour and not solid fact, are downright rude and inconsiderate!:mad:

Chidken Sangwich
17th Oct 2006, 10:52
Tim 01 - Information that I have been told!

You should not make statements that you have no foundation for.

PPP

michaelknight
17th Oct 2006, 11:11
Well there was a post yesterday "Big Eirjet announcement tomorrow" so I guess it takes one joker to play on this and to say either they have gone bust, or ordered 100 A380s!! Both most probably way off the mark.

MK

michaelknight
17th Oct 2006, 11:11
Well there was a post yesterday "Big Eirjet announcement tomorrow" so I guess it takes one joker to play on this and to say either they have gone bust, or ordered 100 A380s!! Both most probably way off the mark.

MK

Chidken Sangwich
17th Oct 2006, 11:23
Thanks for reminding me of why I stopped posting on here!

What does PPRune stand for again???

unionslave
17th Oct 2006, 12:06
There's no smoke without fire, but we're still searching for the flames !:ugh:

EI-BED
17th Oct 2006, 12:08
There is a thread on the Dublin Airport Forum, that says that one of their A320s EI-DOZ was reprocessed in Shannon?

yak-yak
17th Oct 2006, 12:50
The latest I heard (last week) is that they will be acquiring 2 additional A320 from Canada over the winter..

If what you say is true, then someone has got thie sums wrong...:rolleyes:

yak

Cyrano
17th Oct 2006, 12:52
Mods - I suggest a merge with the other Eirjet thread...

PPRuNe Pop
17th Oct 2006, 13:14
OK guys, just cool it.

Do NOT place speculative posts on PPRuNe. If you are NOT in possession of the facts do not post. There are two reasons for this.

1. PPRuNe might be bought to account.

2. The staff at the airline might read it and imagine how they will feel, especially if unsubstantiated information is read by them. They are no different to anyone else in those circumstances - they worry!

If anyone does this again I will remove their PPRuNe privileges. Hope that is clear.

PPP

Shanwickman
17th Oct 2006, 15:26
I was reading a thread on Eirjet today but it seems to have disappeared.

Cyrano
17th Oct 2006, 15:34
Indeed. I suspect it was perceived as sailing too close to the potentially defamatory.

Platinum206
17th Oct 2006, 18:31
Can anyone shed some light on what the subject matter was? without going into details that would get the post deleted once again that is !

flyerz111
17th Oct 2006, 22:00
All four A320s are parked in Shannon tonight. EI-DOZ in Mandala colours for a lease out. Other three just parked. Nothing else to report.

18th Oct 2006, 00:50
not all four airplanes are in snn, one in snn in mandala colours :=

andydd
18th Oct 2006, 07:24
EirJet A320 operation in Ireland have been issued with a "temporary licence" by the Irish Commission for Aviation due to Financial difficulties until the 27th October as reported in the Irish Times......... we wish the guys well.:(

Telstar
18th Oct 2006, 08:28
From www.ireland.com / Irish Times

Eirjet issued with 10-day licence

The Shannon-based charter airline Eirjet has been issued with a 10-day "temporary licence" by the Commission for Aviation Regulation amid fears that the airline is experiencing financial difficulties, writes Pat Flynn.

The Commission has confirmed that it has received communication from the company and that yesterday it had issued a temporary air carrier licence to Eirjet, which will expire on October 27th.

OneWorld22
18th Oct 2006, 08:36
There is an article in todays paper saying they have been given a 10 day t here because of "Financial" worries so it's obviously serious.

In the Irish Times:

Eirjet issued with 10-day licence

The Shannon-based charter airline Eirjet has been issued with a 10-day "temporary licence" by the Commission for Aviation Regulation amid fears that the airline is experiencing financial difficulties, writes Pat Flynn.

The Commission has confirmed that it has received communication from the company and that yesterday it had issued a temporary air carrier licence to Eirjet, which will expire on October 27th.

Tad
18th Oct 2006, 08:40
Fingers crossed for the guys,been there with TransAer as I know some off the guys in Eirjet have been as well.Let's hope lighting doesn't strike again and in October as well.

Global Pilot
18th Oct 2006, 12:38
Odd mesage on their website blaiming a telecom company's inbility as the reason for the public experiencing difficulties contacting them by phone.
I got a strange email from a ld friend of mine yesterday enquiring about employment elsewhere... she has been with Eirjet since the begining.
Hope things are OK in Shannon!

Edited to incude a releas from RTE news...not good reading:-(
"Financial problems halt Eirjet flights
October 18, 2006 13:36
The charter airline company Eirjet, which is based at Shannon, has confirmed it has suspended all flight operations because of financial difficulties.
The company, which leased passenger aircraft to a number of holiday tour operators such as JWT and Topflight, had been operating charter services out of Dublin, Belfast Cork, Shannon and Knock airports.
A company spokesperson said the company had voluntarily suspended flight operations because of continuing financial difficulties, and to ensure that members of the public would not be inconvenienced.

Tour operators are making alternative leasing arrangements. Meanwhile the company says it is continuing to try to negotiate finance which will secure its future."

http://www.rte.ie/business/2006/1018/eirjet.html

18th Oct 2006, 13:28
Odd mesage on their website blaiming a telecom company's inbility as the reason for the public experiencing difficulties contacting them by phone.

Smart Telecom one of the leading Irish telecoms providers got into difficulties a few weeks ago and their access was cut off by Eircom - the incumbent telco wholesaler in Ireland - because they owed them E4 million.

The only thing is that access has since been restored, so the message should have gone by now.

Any word on what tour operators who have customers stuck abroad are doing?

Platinum206
18th Oct 2006, 13:51

I have noticed this message on the website for a number of weeks now, since the issue with Smart Telecom which was widely publicised in the media, and obviously has nothing to do with the current circumstances.

Global Pilot
18th Oct 2006, 14:06
I have noticed this message on the website for a number of weeks now, since the issue with Smart Telecom which was widely publicised in the media, and obviously has nothing to do with the current circumstances.

Okay guys, thanks for explanation re Smart Telecom. Not being a frequent visitor to the site I just noticed it today. More important for Irish aviaion is another collapse of a charter opertion. Opens the door for Excel launching in Ireland as operators must be feed up of the situation since the demise of TransAer.

suasdaguna
18th Oct 2006, 15:13
RTE News

Eirjet grounded by financial problems

18 October 2006 14:44
The charter airline company, Eirjet, has confirmed that it has suspended all flight operations because of financial difficulties and fears about its future.

The Shannon-based company had been operating charter services out of Dublin, Belfast, Cork, Shannon and Knock.
The company leased passenger aircraft to holiday tour operators such as JWT, Sunworld and Toplight.
Advertisement

Eirjet had been granted a temporary 10-day licence to operate by the Commission for Aviation Regulation up until 27 October. The company was due to continue its charter business out of both Dublin and Belfast up until 29 October.
A company spokesperson said they had voluntarily suspended their flight operations because of continuing financial difficulties, to ensure that members of the public would not be inconvenienced.
Tour operators are making alternative leasing arrangements.
Eirjet says it is continuing to try to negotiate finance which will secure its future.
The company added that the season in which it operated was coming to a natural end by 29 October.:(

fanatic1
18th Oct 2006, 17:27
Yep....its official :(

hobie
18th Oct 2006, 18:24
RTE News reporting something similar .....

18 October 2006 17:22
The charter airline company, Eirjet, has confirmed that it has suspended all flight operations because of financial difficulties and fears about its future.

The Shannon-based company had been operating charter services out of Dublin, Belfast, Cork, Shannon and Knock.

more here .....

http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/1018/eirjet.html

hobie
18th Oct 2006, 18:24
RTE News reporting something similar .....

18 October 2006 17:22

more here .....

http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/1018/eirjet.html

captplaystation
18th Oct 2006, 18:26
Sad news, the most unbelievable bit of the whole story though was the first posting that said the " IAA were investigating" ,shome mishtake shurely. See what happens if you don't have any chunky brown envelopes to hand.

ryan2000
18th Oct 2006, 20:15
Sad to see this development. Following in the footsteps of Transaer and Skynet. Basing an airline in Shannon when most of the operations are out of Dublin doesn't seem logical.

RoyHudd
18th Oct 2006, 20:35
TransAer was bad enough, I know, so for those going through it again, good luck to you. From an ex-TLA Brit, who loved the craic. I wish you well.:ok:

shannon55
18th Oct 2006, 21:45
Sad to see this development. Following in the footsteps of Transaer and Skynet. Basing an airline in Shannon when most of the operations are out of Dublin doesn't seem logical.

And EuJET and Flyjetgreen. It just shows how difficult the airline industry is when you have these airlines on one hand and the success of the likes of RYR, EI and RE on the otherhand. Sad day for Irish aviation.:{ :uhoh:

Marvo
18th Oct 2006, 22:17
Good luck to all the Eirjet crowd! Having spent a good deal of time in Shannon this year, flying and having cheeky scoops in Nancy Blakes, I wish all the lads (and lass) the very best. Let's hope a solution can be found.

Strepsils
18th Oct 2006, 22:42
Tim01 and theGoon - I assume that your apology, or at least an acknowledgment that Chidken Sangwich's post was entirely warranted is on the way?:rolleyes: :hmm:

EI-BED
19th Oct 2006, 06:46
An Eirjet A320 EI-DIJ positioned out of Shannon to Amman, Jordan at 0330 this morinng as EIR-001P

ItchyFeet2
19th Oct 2006, 07:14
Knowing three of the lads from time in the sandpit, it strikes home as a terrible blow.

Best wishes to Jackie, Langer, PM and all concerned.

Slan go foill,

IF2:*

Phoenix_X
19th Oct 2006, 12:45
An Eirjet A320 EI-DIJ positioned out of Shannon to Amman, Jordan at 0330 this morinng as EIR-001P

Correct, that aircraft is on it's way to Jakarta for a dry-lease this winter. There was some debate about if and when it'd go but the decision was made to despatch it anyway. Talks about new financing for the company continueing today.

EI-LAD
19th Oct 2006, 14:19
From EIRJET website

EIRJET regret to inform you that we have ceased operations with immediate effect.

All of our Tour Operator Customers have been informed and alternative flights have been put in place for passengers.
Please contact your Tour Operator for further information regarding your travel arrangements.

EIRJET regret any inconvenience caused.

Eirjet

Tel: +353 (0)61 771 858
Fax: +353 (0)61 771 000

unionslave
19th Oct 2006, 15:37
2 1/2 days later into this debacle and i have been told there has been no communication from the management to the staff regarding what has been happening. Not particularily fair IMHO !

Liffy 1M
19th Oct 2006, 22:15
Correct, that aircraft is on it's way to Jakarta for a dry-lease this winter. There was some debate about if and when it'd go but the decision was made to despatch it anyway. Talks about new financing for the company continueing today.

Was it not EI-DOZ that was to go to Indonesia, as it has been painted into Mandala colours at SNN recently?

mini
19th Oct 2006, 22:30
I read in a newspaper today that a notice had been posted on the ICA site that Eirjet has "ceased trading", a company spokesperson denied this was the case, they have "ceased flying" but have not "ceased trading" apparentely.

On the bright side, if the worst comes to be and they do "cease trading", at least they called a halt before it got to the stage where they were leaving pax stranded as has happened in the past with other operations...

Hope everyone involved survives OK, unfortunately looks like another sad event. :sad:

green granite
20th Oct 2006, 06:41
I notice that certain posters do not have the integrity to apologise to Chidken Sangwich, but thats about par for the course. :hmm::ugh:

andydd
20th Oct 2006, 06:48
all there aircraft have now been returned to there owners as of yesterday some are being positioned into other airlines however this operation is through them and not eirjet. Staff have been told nothing as of 5pm last night, few cabin crew friends anxious about what's going on in there. Management in eir are a sound bunch of lads I think the excel thing had a major factor for 2007!
All the best lads/girls:bored:

Pilotdom
20th Oct 2006, 07:32
Notice the guys at the start of the thread have not raised there hands and apologised after what they said at the start of the thread. Rumours are rumours but at the end of the day some of the rumours are always gonna turn out to be true as thats how the world works!

In my opinion you should APOLOGISE!:=

Global Pilot
20th Oct 2006, 07:50
Pilotdom

I agree and apolygy is in order. I understand the difficulties Danny and the moderators have in trying to keep the site running and still protect advertisers. Not all rumours turn out to be true but that is the nature of a rumour isn't it? But when they do then a heads up to an operator "ceasing flying" is powerful information to pilots who may not be fully aware of what is happening and gives them an opportunity to try to put things in order before the loose their jobs.

Discretion is employed by the mods and I respect the job is a difficult (and part time) one. The rules have changed slightly since pprune was born and I applaud danny and others for keeping things afloat.

Having time on A32os.... I am sure Shamrock will pick up a few direct entry boys in the coming months.

rgds,

GP.

spinning
20th Oct 2006, 08:05
Whats your "opinion" now Tim01 ???? Your remarkably quiet.......

Vapor
20th Oct 2006, 11:05
Eirjet trying to refinance struggling business

Thursday, 19th October, 2006

The owners of Shannon-based charter airline Eirjet have embarked on a last-ditch effort to refinance the struggling company, which suspended all of its flights yesterday amid a deepening financial crisis. Arthur Beesley, Senior Business Correspondent, reports

Eirjet, which operates four Airbus A320 aircraft, is the latest in a line of small charter airlines to encounter serious trading difficulties in a notoriously volatile sector. A number of these operators failed to survive.

Managing director Paul Schutz said the company had assured the Commission for Aviation Regulation, which oversees the sector, that no individual passengers would be discommoded as a result of Eirjet's difficulties.

As the airline's problems worsened in recent days, it moved at the weekend to tell the tour operators that charter its services to make alternative arrangements.

While a note posted on the regulator's website last evening said that Eirjet had ceased trading, Mr Schutz said that was not so.

"We have ceased flight operations. We have not ceased trading as of yet. We took the decision that we could not guarantee services this week. We took that decision to protect passengers," he said.

He declined to quantify the size of financial deficit or specify the nature of the issues that prompted its difficulties.

Mr Schutz was hopeful that the problem could be rectified, but he declined to put a deadline on the effort to raise money. Neither would he say whether the airline was already in discussions with a party or parties about a specific refinancing package.

He said the company's 81 permanent and 51 contract staff had not been put on notice but he acknowledged that failure to resolve the funding problem would have implications for their employment.

Eirjet's clients include Ryanair and Aer Lingus but it mainly provides charter services for travel agencies. Its clients include Abbey Travel, Falcon, Stein Travel, Sunway, JWT, Gerry McMahon Travel, Slattery's and Topflight.

The company's founders include businessman Bernard Healy, owner of Dublin company Idray which controls the travel agencies Omni Tours, Omni Travel, Malaga Express and Faro Express. Eirjet has been flying since December 2004.

Phoenix_X
20th Oct 2006, 14:04
Yes, that was the plan, but for reasons likely to do with the situation EI-DIJ went there in the end.

Platinum206
20th Oct 2006, 17:18
It was my understanding that both DOZ and DIJ were due to go to Indonesia. However it was in fact due to be DOZ first, hence the painting, not DIJ.

habubauza
20th Oct 2006, 20:42
I'm sorry to hear about Eirjet but I am not surprised. I remember they were stiffing creditors several months ago. I wish all the employees there the best of luck.

TolTol
20th Oct 2006, 22:01
So sad to see this (http://www.eirjet.com).

ILPAAW
20th Oct 2006, 22:24
Well, there you go Tim01.
After two days and the first postings were true, what would we do without rumours hey !!:ugh:

mini
20th Oct 2006, 22:42
I hear Alpha jet (previously Helios) are taking up the Eirjet slack on the med destinations, anyone any info on this?

Rallye EI-BFP
21st Oct 2006, 10:23
EI-DOZ is indeed going to Mandala, I heard that the lease fell through, it may be going to US instead? Another aircraft was to go to Mandala aswell so this is obviously EI-DIJ

ryan2000
21st Oct 2006, 13:22
The amount of wet leasing that Eirjet engaged in throughout 2005 and 2006 must have seriously depleted their finances. Similar wet leasing by Jet Magic during 2003 was probably the
Single biggest factor in their demise.

brian_dromey
21st Oct 2006, 18:26
Yeup, I think that the cost of subbing in of a/c was what put an end to this company, although there were a number of other factors, including horrific delays in the first season(summer 2005) and the bad reputation that they gained from 8-12 hour delays. Especially in Cork where JWT/Falcon had most work contracted to eirJet.

There was also that infamous incident when an A320 landed in the wrong Derry "airport". This did not help their credibility.

I also think that poor fleet planning had a lot to do with it. They scheduled most charters for the weekend, as opposed to spreading it out a little more throughout the week, leaving them seriously exposed when an aircraft went tech. Which they did! This led to delays and subbing in of a/c, from anywhere eirJet could get them.I doubt those ad-hoc 757s L-1011s and 330s came cheap either.

The decision to operate so many W patterns from SNN to other Irish Airports must also be questioned. To be honest I think that the common sense of managment must have been quite poor, otherwise they would not have made the same mistakes over and over again.

That siad, I am sorry for all they staff and the fact that they know nothing concrete about their futures.

Wing Commander Fowler
21st Oct 2006, 18:50
Here we go - wheel in the wheelchair experts!

They scheduled most charters for the weekend, as opposed to spreading it out a little more throughout the week, leaving them seriously exposed when an aircraft went tech.

I know - I have a really cunning plan! Lets fly passengers during the week when they don't want to fly! What a cracking idea! For your information, the bulk of Eirjets work was from tour operators, customers who tell eirjet when to operate their aircraft.

Oh yes and since when did aircraft know what day of the week it was? They only go tech during the week now do they? Hmm.........

Come on lads, give us all a break! Don't give them a kicking, its support thats needed right now. :*

brian_dromey
21st Oct 2006, 19:24
Lets fly passengers during the week when they don't want to fly! What a cracking idea!

Oh yes and since when did aircraft know what day of the week it was? They only go tech during the week now do they? Hmm.........

To be quite fair, most passengers dont have much of a choice when their CHARTERED flights are. The flight times are usually confirmed to passengers in about Jan/Feb, and before that its just guess work. Many charters which I flew on were in the middel of teh day, in the middle of the week. (and amny more were in the middle of the night!). We didn't complain cause we didnt have a choice of days, and still wouldnt, if we still booked IT packages. People just book a fortnight off work, so the days dont make much of a difference. If you wnat flexabilty the seceduled flights offer that, if you want your holiday served on a plate, the charters offer that.

No, of course a/c dont know what day of the week it is, which is exactly why fleet schedulers should plan for aircraft having a problem. Also the ATC situation over europe aint the best usually, so that can add farther delays, then youve got the dirunk passengers who are in the pub, their bags have to be off-loaded, etc, etc. EIR had time to work this out, but choose not to. You dont see many TOM/FCA/MON et al sitting around Mon-Thurs do you?

Yes, it is very sad for all the crew at EIR, and I fully support them, it stinks that because of crappy managment people loose their jobs. Hopefully EIR people will find work elsewhere, or perhaps be instrumental in the rebirth of the company.

Cyrano
23rd Oct 2006, 09:05
Brian:
Somehow I don't think you've experienced the charter airline/tour operator interface directly. It's not quite as simple as you seem to think for an airline (especially a relatively new, non-established one) to dictate what days it'll fly on. Tour operators have particular day-of-the-week requirements. In some cases that's because of weekly self-catering accommodation changeover days (frequently Saturday or Sunday). If the tour operator comes to your new little airline and says "can you quote me for a series of 20 flights to Faro on Saturdays?" he is unlikely to be particularly impressed if you quote him for Wednesdays instead. You need the business. Of course you'd prefer if it were spread throughout the week. But you don't really have the power to dictate that - it's rather naive to suggest otherwise.

Bear in mind that if the passengers are only getting their flight times confirmed in Jan/Feb for the summer holidays they may have booked a couple of months previously, it's likely because the tour operator has only just finalised the flying programme, i.e. which airline is flying which sector at which time.

Yes, it is very sad for all the crew at EIR, and I fully support them, it stinks that because of crappy managment people loose their jobs.
I don't know the Eirjet management. I can't judge how good or bad they are. But I would merely note that this is the same management that set up the company and created jobs for people in the first place, and I notice also that they gave their clients advance notice of their shutdown to reduce the impact.

Companies fail for a variety of reasons, of which 'crappy management' is not the only one. If you have direct evidence that this is the principal reason for Eirjet's demise, OK, but otherwise isn't that a bit of a cheap shot?

runawayedge
23rd Oct 2006, 12:51
Well said Cyrano....you've put my thoughts to pprune and very eloquently too!

WHBM
23rd Oct 2006, 17:26
Somehow I don't think you've experienced the charter airline/tour operator interface directly. It's not quite as simple as you seem to think for an airline (especially a relatively new, non-established one) to dictate what days it'll fly on.
For those of us who do have an inkling of the process, we still noticed that Eirjet managed to sell capacity at weekends but not so well midweek, whereas other operators carried on with the 7-day operations they have done for years now.

There is indeed the market, especially on the longer European routes such as the Canaries, for weekday traffic. The days of demand for each destination are well known and quite obvious. But what seems the case here is that Eirjet, like so many smaller operators before them, have misjudged how much all-week, let alone all-year, traffic they could capture. They have acted as a "top up" to supply rather than having a full programme. And so you end up with short weeks and short seasons. And this is all down to their commercial team.

Further they then programmed some notably packed flying programmes into weekends to squeeze the revenue up, no slack at all, which a more established charter operator would no doubt consider impractical. That one extra rotation in the weekend is probably dearly bought as you end up with considerable disorganisation and bad will all round.

runawayedge
23rd Oct 2006, 19:10
Despise post mortems.....but I do wonder whether there was an opportunity for scheduled sun destinations from Shannon, Knock, Derry, Cork etc. I know some of these have since been launched by FR and EI, but two years ago was there not an opportunity, and maybe still, and yes I realise the model would have been different, but maybe it needed to be. (This is not to be taken as company or management critiscism, merely a thought).

brian_dromey
23rd Oct 2006, 22:57
Companies fail for a variety of reasons, of which 'crappy management' is not the only one. If you have direct evidence that this is the principal reason for Eirjet's demise, OK, but otherwise isn't that a bit of a cheap shot?

OK perhaps I was a little harsh on the managment, but what I will say is that many resorts have mulitple changeover days and thursday and tuesday are usually pretty big ones. LTE & FCA managed to spread a weeks flying for ORK and SNN out of one a/c and associated crew base until eirJet showed up, trust me, when you are looking for flight out of regional airports, you DO NOT have a choice as to the day of the week.

I dont think that the managment were the only thing at fault here, but they did create a schedule which was at best, highly ambitious, and at worst an utter farce. This in turn did not help their credability. I think that the scheduling difficulties should have been ironed out after Summer 2005, but were ignored. That is bad managment. EI-DIJ also had a reputation as a 'hanger queen' when at Monarch, so the wisdom of taking on this a/c at a time when eirJet needed to build a strong and relaible brand was questionable. Maybe they took the risk of having a new but slightly terpermental plane Vs an older but slightly taty one. Im not sure that risk paid off.

This final part is purely speculation, but I am guessing that Excel managed to hoover up most, if not all of the Falcon/JWT flying for 2007 and eirJet had been depending on this. That business was the core of eirJets summer ops. Excel Ireland is mostly made up of ex Falcon guys, so its a pretty safe bet that they knew exactly what would get Excel the business. After that Im guessing that the bank pulled the plug.

Once again though I am really sorry for the crew at eirJet, but any reports I've seen or heard about the crews were highly complementary. Perhaps if the profile of the charters was more diverse, and the branding a little better, it would have been easier to expand.

Yer Man
24th Oct 2006, 06:53
Brian,

Tour operators contract their flying 9 to 12 months in advance. Excel have had nothing to do with Eirjet's demise and in fact if Eirjet were still in the market then it would be far more difficult for excel to enter the Irish scene.

The senior management of Eirjet are to balme for their demise, no one else. Their stratergy was incompetent, naive and misguided.

G-AZUK
24th Oct 2006, 08:33
EI-DIJ also had a reputation as a 'hanger queen' when at Monarch

nothing wrong with G-MONW when at Monarch, no better or worse than the other A320's, it was one of the older vintage but by no means stood out as a hangar queen

The Real Slim Shady
24th Oct 2006, 13:04
Anyone know who the Administrators / Receivers are?

toolonggone
24th Oct 2006, 14:56
Eirjet has ceased operations NOT ceased trading, nor has it been placed (either voluntarily or involuntarily) into administration.

YP321
24th Oct 2006, 15:41
Eirjet has ceased operations NOT ceased trading, nor has it been placed (either voluntarily or involuntarily) into administration.
Rumours say it has... Liquidation likely. F/Os might get an offer to fly for EI for a 6months contract. Capt???

The Real Slim Shady
24th Oct 2006, 17:14
Is there a reason then they aren't answering the telephone?

bacardi walla
24th Oct 2006, 17:29
Any Eirjet ops guys/girls looking for work - drop me a PM. UK based.

unionslave
24th Oct 2006, 17:47
Eirjet now offically gone into liquidation, no pay for the staff as usual.
Good Luck to all who worked there , it was fun while it lasted:D

Platinum206
24th Oct 2006, 18:45
Will the staff not get paid whatsoever? What about when the liquidator gets through with everything.

unionslave
24th Oct 2006, 19:14
Staff, through the liquidator will get a percentage of their wages when all the forms have been filled out, but this won't be for at least 3 - 6 months. Then when all the major creditors have been paid ie: the Bank if there's any money left in the kitty after that you may get some. Don't hold your breath. But management will probably ensure they get paid !!!:ugh:

RoyHudd
28th Oct 2006, 18:08
Was yer man involved in this airline? Just asking, no agenda here.

Hobbit
28th Oct 2006, 20:09
Irish airline with Irish management governed by the IAA, they should see their redundancy money in about 18 months time. Bet the management are already in lucrative jobs earning big bucks while the poor old operational staff bite the bullet again!
Anybody thinking of working for an airline that has EI in its registration, think again!!
Jetmagic, Jetgreen, EUJet amd now eirjet there may be a theme developing here.

ecei
28th Oct 2006, 23:49
Hobbit

Hobbit, I know the managers personally, i used to work for eirjet until few moths ago and can guarantee you that they are not in any "lucrative jobs earning big bucks". They are still trying to get some money to refinance the situation and trying to find new jobs for all their employees in different airlines. Believe it or not, not every manager is a monster with no feelings.

Before saying things like what you just said it will be nice if you know the facts first. Is not a very nice thing to say things in a public forum that are not true about some individuals.

NC2
29th Oct 2006, 17:46
But management will probably ensure they get paid !!!

I think that comment is unfair and untrue.

The order in which the liquidator will pay out is as follows:

- liquidators fees
- discharge loans secured on assets
- preferential creditors (Employees, Revenue Commissioners)
- ordinary creditors and unsecured loans
- shareholders

If the company has been placed into liquidation then all employees (management or otherwise) are treated as preferential creditors. There is no distinction between "management employees" and "other employees" unless they are Directors - in which case they have specific responsibilities not to trade recklessly or whilst the company is insolvent. The Directors of the company have specific duties under company law and the liquidator will have to report if he is of the opinion that these have not been carried out.

In many liquidations the funds run out after the liquidator and secured loans have been paid. Where funds remain it is likely that a percentage will be paid. Ordinary creditors and shareholders often see little in a liquidation.

Also as an aside - a Liquidator is appointed to wind up the company - an Administrator is appointed (with the support of creditors and banks) where it is likely the company can be restructured and continue to trade.

EUAir
1st Nov 2006, 12:28
Hobbit-

Jetmagic would have got a license in the UK also, as it was well funded for what was intended and had very experinced guys in the supervisory team. EUjet again woulh have got a license as there was also a solid management team there also, even with PJ.

From what I hear PJ had offered to bail out Eirjet by buying it a short while ago and also offered very recently to buy it again. From what i hear on that it was stubborn shareholders in Skyjet, sorry Eirjet, who had grudges with the McGoldricks said no rather than taking the deal and leaving the company continue.
PJ has vast experience in the charter market. And before anybody says 'TransAer', those who know are fully aware that TransAer's demise was down to the Chapter 11 which was progressing in the states at the time and money being held up over there!

kellyoldsmunt
9th Nov 2006, 16:21
Transaer, EUjet MMM :ugh:
just a thought !:ugh: