PDA

View Full Version : How great is a CX SO job?

delux_Pilot
8th Jun 2006, 18:08
Hi everybody,

whilst i'm waiting for my DEFO interview, i was thinking about also applying for a SO position!!

Have SO working condions changed the past years???
What are the current requirements to get FO interview?

Aussie
10th Jun 2006, 11:52
How great can it be with no replies...???

Hehe, all the SO's are out on the turps :}

Aussie

flyer_spotter
10th Jun 2006, 23:09
Well the requirements for DEFO are listed on their page, but they ususally tend to hire people with much more experience.:)

Kane Toed
11th Jun 2006, 08:28
Following my first interview, I was lucky enough to be offered the choice of either DEFO or DESO. After some thought, I took SO as I wanted to be in HK and had heard mixed reports about how long it might take to get off the freighter. No regrets at all... It is well documented that we have plenty of time off, as all our flying is (Ultra) Long Haul. This is a good thing if you are either single (lots of party time) or with family - you'll have plenty of time to be with them. Seniority is not a problem in the long term either, as you'll have a lower number than all those that join after you - including DEFOs.

For me, living in HK straight away was a major positive about choosing SO, but this is certainly not true for everyone. Which is odd, when you apply to join an airline based in Hong Kong. If you do a search on the other FH forum you'll find quite a lot written about HK life.

Like everything, there are negatives to everything. Primarily of course is the fact that you are on 'pocket money' for the first couple of years, so it can be tight (but not impossible) if you have a family. You have to remember too that you'll not be doing any take-offs or landings for a while, although you do get into the simulator regularly enough to confirm that you shouldn't be doing any take-offs or landings! The other possible negative is the upgrade time from SO to FO. This is an unknown, especially with DEFOs on the passenger fleet coming in. Who knows what'll happen with KA too, although I suspect that won't affect us for a while.

Hope that helps. If you have any specific q's, feel free to PM me.

KT

UlsterPPL
16th Jun 2006, 14:40
Hi Kane,
It is nice to have some insight details from you. I was born in HK and like many I am very interested to join CX as a cadet pilot as well.
A few questions for you:
Exactly how often do you fly per month at the moment and what are the destinations?
Can you give an example of such as leaving tomorrow to LHR, then how many days later you will return back to HKG. And how many days afterward you will fly again and to where?
SO are only logging P2X hours, does it contribute to the Unfrozen requirement- F-ATPL to full ATPL?
Is it still very much enjoyable without the opportunities to handle the take-off and landing part of the journey?
How easy do one cope with the jet lag of ULH?
Sorry for asking so many questions. I hope you will find it interesting and give some help to us the wannabes! :O

Kane Toed
21st Jun 2006, 00:44
Sorry about the delay, been away (which proves that SO's do some work!) In reply to your questions:
Exactly how often do you fly per month at the moment...
Three trips per month normally, with a sim every second month.
...and what are the destinations
London, Frankfurt, Jo'burg, Auckland, New York, Vancouver over the last couple of months. Basically, any CX destination that requires a SO.
...leaving tomorrow to LHR, then how many days later you will return back to HKG
LHR is a 'nasty' one, as you only have 24 hours off. YVR better as you'll get 2 days off, FRA even better with almost 3.
how many days afterward you will fly again and to where
It's normally about 5 days off, but can be 6 - 8 if you are lucky. You could fly to any destination (incuding the one you have just come back from). You do have the option to request a 'compact' or even 'super compact' roster, in which case you can end up having only a couple of days off between trips away. This option is often taken by people who commute. For me, back-to-back ULH trips leave me with my eyes hanging out of my head...
SO are only logging P2X hours, does it contribute to the Unfrozen requirement- F-ATPL to full ATPL
Sorry, I can't answer that one because I had enough hours for an ATPL before I arrived in HK. Perhaps an ex-cadet could help with that one?
Is it still very much enjoyable without the opportunities to handle the take-off and landing part of the journey?
Good question! There really are times when I sit there thinking "I really wouldn't mind doing that take-off / landing", or "I really could do that FO's job". Whenever I have those thoughts I quickly remind myself of my roster! At the moment, I am enjoying it - but some people have been stuck as SO's for almost 4 years. I'm not sure that I would be quite so motivated after 4 years. Hopefully though those days are gone.
How easy do one cope with the jet lag of ULH?
You are not normally away for long enough for it to be too much of a problem at either end. As I mentioned before however, 2 ULH with minimum rest between leaves you quite tired.
Sorry for asking so many questions
N'worries and good luck!
KT

UlsterPPL
24th Jun 2006, 10:28
Many thanks for your reply in good detail, Kane. It is some very good information for someone who wants to know what the daily life of a SO at CX is. Hope you are settling well and enjoy the living in HK despite the air pollution issue there.