PDA

View Full Version : Brazil Flights

787Heaven
8th Jun 2006, 15:49
Hi guys its my first thread on ere!!

Im doing a long haul flight to Brazil at the end of this month and was wondering if you need an American visa for it as i do not have mine yet?? All flights going west must have crew on it who have american visas on the very unlikely chance that we have to divert or so im told but, flights to brazil take a south routing dont they?? So i cant still need a visa because the flights dont go anywhere near the USA?

Does anyone have any idea?? Its just that im being rostered long haul flights and then being taken off them and its getting a bit annoying now. This is a question for the pilots really i guess.:hmm:

apaddyinuk
8th Jun 2006, 17:38
All depends which the flight is routed. Very possible the flight could be heading south over north africa before jumping the pond...but then, I have no idea where you are flying from? Just assuming you are coming ex europe!!!

ezybus
8th Jun 2006, 18:14
if you have a uk passport you dont need visas. just fill out the landing card you receive on the plane.

787Heaven
8th Jun 2006, 20:53
well the flight is rostered 10 hours and I am operating it from Manchester UK, so it must be routed south overflying the USA will take alot more time surely.

Consol
8th Jun 2006, 21:17
Hi 787,
Most flights from Europe route southwest near the Canaries/Cape Verde islands, diverting to the USA would nearly be as far as flying back to Europe!
However please don't go against your company policy but they are being a bit ott if this is what they insist on. If you do end up entering the US then you do need a crew visa, the visa waiver program is for tourism and short biz trips only.
If your flight had a MAJOR tech problem, you could expect an overnight in Lisbon, Tenerife, Sal, Dakar or Belem.
Enjoy the beaches!

Rainboe
9th Jun 2006, 00:41
Unless your destination is actually the US, you don't need a US visa. If you have to divert to a US airport for some reason and you do not have a US visa, well that is force majeure and they will just have to accommodate you whilst you need to stay. It is not a problem, but the Immigration Service will probably try and make it one. You do not need a Crew US visa if you are flying to Brazil. You will not ever divert to the US on this route from Europe!

When you have to get a US Visa, an awful day trip to the US Embassy in London and long queueing for the 1 minute interview is needed. If you have all your paperwork and you go somewhere abroad where a US Embassy is accessible, it is often far, far easier to get your Visa there, without queueing, quite easily.

They don't tell you that.

787Heaven
9th Jun 2006, 09:33
Thanx guys

I thought this was US policy, obviously my company may be wrong. If they are then maybe i should be considering a compensation claim because i have lost alot of money by them taking me off my long haul trips.

787Heaven
10th Jun 2006, 13:09
Well here we go again, i got some changes from work telling me im not doing long haul this month and i was never on a Brazil, even though my rosta says i am.

I am so angry at the moment. I came back to this company because i was told i would get long haul and a pay pise and every month so far ive been taken off everything. Im getting to the point where i am thinking of resigning, ive been messed about since day one. They lost my P45 twice (last year and this year) so i am being emergency taxed again, they messed up my american visa application and told me four weeks later, fell out with the company i was working for over the winter so they wouldnt supply them with a reference, and now are lying to me about my rosta. :ugh: